Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Powershift posted:

They throw their hands up and say "well, the time and effort it will take to save this moron could cost the lives of more valuable people." and walk away.

aaaaaaaah just kidding.

Did she lose that eye?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

"Those idiots at the journal will have to respect me now!" *replaces woman's skull with metal*

Thinking about it, this is probably the only industry where you can't say 'gently caress that' and walk away from the problem:

IT: gently caress that: format and reinstall
Construction: gently caress that: condemn it and tear it down
Automotive: gently caress that: write it off
Nuclear Power: gently caress that: seal it in concrete
Veterinary: gently caress that: Tell Timmy that Freckles has gone to live on a farm and call a lasagne company.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

spog posted:

Thinking about it, this is probably the only industry where you can't say 'gently caress that' and walk away from the problem:

IT: gently caress that: format and reinstall
Construction: gently caress that: condemn it and tear it down
Automotive: gently caress that: write it off
Nuclear Power: gently caress that: seal it in concrete
Veterinary: gently caress that: Tell Timmy that Freckles has gone to live on a farm and call a lasagne company.
It doesn't really apply to trauma care but there is a degree of gently caress that and walk away in chronic or terminal illness care where the expected benefit of a treatment doesn't outweigh the cost. Insurance companies have what are pretty much exactly the death panels everybody was worried the government would have if we socialized medicine even a little bit because guess what, insurance is still socialized medicine and there needs to be a check to make sure treatment is worth the cost or else you run out of treatment money in the shared pool.

Or like how HIV is treatable and hepatitis C is curable, if you aren't poor.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Did she lose that eye?

A few more details, from here. You need an account to view and fair warning, it's a site for sharing medical cases, so expect the sort of stuff you'd find on a site like that.

quote:

A 25-year-old female unrestrained passenger in a motor vehicle collision presented to the trauma bay with extensive injuries. A trauma work-up revealed a traumatic brain injury with intracranial hemorrhage, a traumatic eye injury requiring enucleation, and extensive facial fractures. This CT shows her completed facial reconstruction. Thanks to a dedicated multidisciplinary team, the patient is now ambulatory and recovering well.

So yeah, she lost the eye. Bone heals crazy well compared to a lot of our other issues, it's just fairly slow about it. The trick is to keep things immobilized and provide a framework to ensure it all reforms correctly.

Another, slightly less drastic case.

quote:

Cyclist fell and hit their head on road. Le Forte 2 fractures. Pt transported to hospital. Follow up still being done.

I assume she was wearing a helmet. Otherwise, her whole frontal bone would probably look a lot like her right orbit.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 28, 2017

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That first scan looks like it was done mid crash.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
It's like a new Mortal Kombat game.

Nagelfar
Mar 21, 2005

Powershift posted:

They throw their hands up and say "well, the time and effort it will take to save this moron could cost the lives of more valuable people." and walk away.

aaaaaaaah just kidding.

Do you have a big version of these?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nagelfar posted:

Do you have a big version of these?

From the website I linked in my privous post,

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

zedprime posted:

It doesn't really apply to trauma care but there is a degree of gently caress that and walk away in chronic or terminal illness care where the expected benefit of a treatment doesn't outweigh the cost. Insurance companies have what are pretty much exactly the death panels everybody was worried the government would have if we socialized medicine even a little bit because guess what, insurance is still socialized medicine and there needs to be a check to make sure treatment is worth the cost or else you run out of treatment money in the shared pool.

Or just "We could probably give them another six months. But they'd spend four of those months unconscious and the other two in agonising pain begging for death. So... let's not."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Groda posted:

Holy poo poo, this one is like an oil industry version of Mousetrap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqGAqwwjY7o

Pictured:
  • supervisor
  • welder (standing on unsupported ladder)
  • cloud of flammable off-gases
  • two guys weighing down the ladder on top of tank filled with flammable off-gases

I knew oil work was dangerous, but not this dangerous:

"The fatality rate within the oii and gas extraction sector is more than 8x higher than the average of all industries in the US"

:stare:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Proteus Jones posted:

"The fatality rate within the oii and gas extraction sector is more than 8x higher than the average of all industries in the US"

Bangladeshi workers look at the US O&G sector and say 'no way I am working there, it is too dangerous'

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
http://i.imgur.com/PF1Gb5o.gifv

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Skippy McPants posted:

Another, slightly less drastic case.

I assume she was wearing a helmet. Otherwise, her whole frontal bone would probably look a lot like her right orbit.

Certainly not an expert, but that looks like a crash without a helmet. Cycling helmets worn properly should protect the upper edges of the eye socket. I'm guessing she wasn't wearing one and came down on her right cheek and eye. She probably still would have a broken face, but the upper parts of the eye socket would have been saved.

I had a crash on pavement at ~30mph and my head hit the pavement hard enough to completely crater the left side of my helmet and my noggin was fine. If I wasn't wearing it I would have had a similar looking skull.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

That's gentle baby funtimes compared to fishing and timber.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Bipedal locomotion was a mistake. We're like a vase sitting on a pedastal just waiting to be smashed

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

and look at police a bloo blooing how dangerous their job is and thats why they have to murder people to be safe

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Spatial posted:

Bipedal locomotion was a mistake. We're like a vase sitting on a pedastal just waiting to be smashed

Don't put the pussy on a pedestal.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

big trivia FAIL posted:

and look at police a bloo blooing how dangerous their job is and thats why they have to murder people to be safe

Industrial workers should carry guns and be trained to shoot their boss in self-defense if they feel they are implementing unsafe policy. Also supervisors or co-workers bypassing lockouts should be grounds for shooting in self defense.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Industrial workers should carry guns and be trained to shoot their boss in self-defense if they feel they are implementing unsafe policy.
:yeah:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

big trivia FAIL posted:

Right! I fall somewhere between truck and taxi drivers, would it be all right for me get a mad maxed-up concrete mixer work truck and just kind of let whatever happens happen?

Insurance would ruin me.

E: Come to think of it, I did know a delivery guy that bought it in an accident while working. Leaving his last stop of the day, he took a right at a triple turn lane on the inside lane. The car in front of him cut the semi next to him off, the semi swerved left and toppled the whole trailer right on top of his pickup and trailer. I talked to him earlier in the day, he said he was going to finish early. Should have made it a lazy day. The OSHA here is driving in South Florida.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 28, 2017

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

big trivia FAIL posted:

Can we keep the stupid in d&d please.

Edit: vvv true enough

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 28, 2017

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

ChesterJT posted:

Can we keep the stupid in d&d please.

The followup post was quite fun though

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
https://fat.gfycat.com/LankyDistantBernesemountaindog.webm

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I just found out that a plant we did certification testing at in April exploded 2 months ago, the Didion Milling plant in Cambria. I had to update our database.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

lol so close

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

I just found out that a plant we did certification testing at in April exploded 2 months ago, the Didion Milling plant in Cambria. I had to update our database.

quote:

"We talk about it as a team and as a family. There's gonna be good days and there's gonna be bad days, or maybe challenging times, and I think what's important for our team to know is as a family, we're not going anywhere. The way the community has responded has kind of blown our whole team away," Didion said.

Noice

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sam Hall posted:

lol at cops barely cracking the top 15.

Police stay scared tho.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Did she lose that eye?

Yeah, but they found it later hiding behind the brain stem

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

Why is this a gif

That's weird, it was working as gifv but now its only looping the first few frames. Here it is as just a gif:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

new beyblade looking good

little bit of trivia: one of the oldest complex tools humans have made, the atlatl, used the same principle of operation to propel a spear at high speed. it's literally the oldest trick in the book. :)

Spatial fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 29, 2017

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Sam Hall posted:

Add US President and space shuttle astronaut to this list.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MausoleumExtremist posted:

Add US President and space shuttle astronaut to this list.

If "getting shot by a crazy dude" counts as an occupational injury US President will take this one.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Baronjutter posted:

Also supervisors or co-workers bypassing lockouts should be grounds for shooting in self defense.

This but absolutely unironically.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Those are the worms. You have them too.

Not everyone obviously, but apparently some people see small debris floating in their field of vision if they're infested near the eye socket. It's something about their waste blocking the light, I'll have to read the report again

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Sam Hall posted:

The fatality rates of anyone that's got a lot of road presence is a clear relationship of A) how exposed they are on the road and B) how much they are on the road. No surprise that garbage and recycling collection is the top of that group and truck drivers aren't too far behind.

As for Police, by far they're killed more by traffic accidents or being struck by another car during a traffic stop than by being shot.

Most everything else is a measure of 'How quick can something stupid kill you'

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

http://fox6now.com/2017/06/11/back-to-work-at-didion-milling-after-deadly-explosion-powerful-to-have-everyone-back-together/

quote:

Back to work at Didion Milling after deadly explosion: “Powerful to have everyone back together”

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Mo_Steel posted:

That's weird, it was working as gifv but now its only looping the first few frames. Here it is as just a gif:

[fuckin huge gif]

Here's another upload which didn't crap out on conversion:
http://i.imgur.com/ncGMlEq.mp4

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We found out because we were asked to test one guy there today, and the proctor called us to mention that all the buildings were being torn down and there were memorials on the road in.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
A tractor commits suicide after being rescued.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4w6FuvSvBw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

I can see that this machine is obviously purpose built for this task, but what exactly is this task?

It seems to be undercutting the top of a landslip to ensure that there's another landslip, which doesn't seem like the sort of job that comes up very often.