Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

You mean rocket belt.

You mean Pretty Bird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

ONE OF US

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
lol

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
The simultaneous worst and best timeline continues https://twitter.com/PageSix/status/891031512287719424

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/891038014314598400

*Gorka voice* REINCE is GONE!!!!!!!

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

So is CoC a game you have to min/max to do well at or is matt just bad?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Trabandiumium posted:

So is CoC a game you have to min/max to do well at or is matt just bad?

Never played it, but I gather it's pretty expected you wind up insane and/or dead, just a question of how far you get first.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You don't min/max at all, and just roleplay the whole thing. Characters are not expected to survive and/or make it out sane. For example, being shot will almost always kill you. Crazy, right? As you try to make realistic characters, you generally don't end up with someone who's great both in the library and a gunfight.

When I run a Cthulhu game, I advise players to make at least two characters, as the first one will invariably die.

E: Matt wasn't bad, just reacted badly and decided he didn't have any choices. Since he didn't want to think out of the box, he didn't allow himself any options. He did great in the first 3/4 of the adventure.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I think Virgil was heavily fudging rolls too, which is fine by me

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
CoC is one of those games where like half the team will be dead or insane by the end of the adventure, but the survivors get to watch the sunrise knowing they did good.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

dylguy90 posted:

ONE OF US

I am truely sorry for your lots

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Famethrowa posted:

I think Virgil was heavily fudging rolls too, which is fine by me

Especially in this where the fun isn't designing a challenging encounters it's giving the dry boys a chance to riff on goofy 20s versions of the Chapo Canon and also talk about cum and Felix rapping

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
yeah the first ep, which had no combat, was funnier when a jar of cum and a pepe statue led to matt getting beaten by a gang of drunken slavic hoodlums

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
can you imagine how bad reince priebus' middle school flashbacks are right now? he probably hasn't been called reince penis to his face in 30 years, then some long island guido shows up out of nowhere and bullys him so hard he gets shitcanned

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Thaddius the Large posted:

Never played it, but I gather it's pretty expected you wind up insane and/or dead, just a question of how far you get first.

Yeah, Virgil kept having them add insanity points during the game, does that affect anything?

I agree that Matt thinks there's a 'correct' way to play and was getting frustrated. Will even said early on that Matt's library skill was higher and should do a research check. He didn't think outside the box, i'm surprised he didn't consider searching any of the henchmen for an additional weapon.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
the most expert mindset you can have for table top games is "what's the worst that can happen, my character dies?"

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
If I remember correctly, losing a certain amount of sanity points in relation to your max sanity within a short period of time results in developing a random temporary psychosis. I think this happened to two of them in the conclusion of the first CoC game they played when the giant monster revealed itself.

Serf
May 5, 2011

red19fire posted:

Yeah, Virgil kept having them add insanity points during the game, does that affect anything?

I agree that Matt thinks there's a 'correct' way to play and was getting frustrated. Will even said early on that Matt's library skill was higher and should do a research check. He didn't think outside the box, i'm surprised he didn't consider searching any of the henchmen for an additional weapon.

iirc you deduct sanity points as you fail rolls, making future rolls harder and pushing you towards a breaking point

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Losing five SAN gives you temporary insanity, losing a fifth of current SAN in one game hour gives you some type of indefinite insanity. When you reach zero, you're permanently insane

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

padijun posted:

the most expert mindset you can have for table top games is "what's the worst that can happen, my character dies?"

This is galaxy brain poo poo right here

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Matt needs to read Gorilla Mindset and develop his positive self-talk before the next CoC episode. They're really good imo. I hope they keep doing them. But had to cut it off towards the end.

It's like the UYD ep where they get into an argument. I just can't do it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The UYD episode?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The UYD episode?

Uh Yeah Dude had an episode where the two hosts got in an incredibly heated argument that it turns out was at least partly due to a gas leak making them loopy

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Uh Yeah Dude had an episode where the two hosts got in an incredibly heated argument that it turns out was at least partly due to a gas leak making them loopy

lmao

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Ahahaha wtf

Serf
May 5, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

This sounds amazing.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Join me for my podcast where me and my cohost sit in a superheated bitcoin mining rig server room and scream at each other as our brains get injured

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Join me for my podcast where me and my cohost sit in a superheated bitcoin mining rig server room and scream at each other as our brains get injured

Link?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Serf posted:

This sounds amazing.

It's actually super depressing and not funny at all

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I think I would enjoy that way more than any other episode of UYD I've ever heard.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

http://www.belial.pt/permanent-brain-damage-from-bitcoin-mining

Serf
May 5, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It's actually super depressing and not funny at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBv2UuTduxI

holy poo poo carbon monoxide or whatever turns you into matt

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/byyourlogic/status/891416703896367104

Nice

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

oh you help Lowtax with his new podcast?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

red19fire posted:

Remember that he had the additional pressure of thinking of funny things to say in addition to actually playing the game. That's gotta be distracting.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

oh you help Lowtax with his new podcast?

hahaha

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Serf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBv2UuTduxI

holy poo poo carbon monoxide or whatever turns you into matt

ahahaha this rules

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

"retards gently caress" -jonathan larroquette, november 2007

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Good news for future house guests of Felix

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/891465476743860224

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/891467063738413058

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Pepe refutes his status as a nonsexhaver.

https://twitter.com/wifedivorcer666/status/891439542418513921