Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sirotan posted:

It is the year 2017, and our new EHR system can't handle apostrophes in patient names without throwing an SQL escape error. Jesus christ.
Our big Oracle database has one very commonly used commentt field that can't accept quotation marks. When asked to fix it, our Oracle dev told my boss that it was a limitation of Oracle and there was nothing that could be done about it. So then why do none of our other comment fields, ones implemented before this dev was hired, not have the issue? :iiam: But good news, the dev thinks Oracle 12 has some new features that will let us fix it, once we transition to the new version!

larchesdanrew posted:

A few months ago, the director forced me to purchase a high speed desktop scanner because he was dissatisfied with the speed of the scanner we currently had. So I was told to order not one $900 scanner we really can't afford, but TWO $900 scanners we really can't afford.
Was it made by Kodak by any chance? We had to buy a $900 high-speed scanner for a project that "needed" to scan quickly. And while it did scan fast, it didn't scan well, and all the pages came out crooked and unusable. Within a week we'd replaced it with a consumer-model Canon inkjet/scanner, which they've been using ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Bigass Moth posted:

Can you explain why the 600 TB on tape can't just be migrated to the new SAN after the switch? Not sure what all goes into this.

What The Fool said plus the system restores the file to where it lived originally via policy classes. So if the file lived on the old DR SAN it must restore to the old DR SAN and then migrated to the new SAN.

And if this was a normal company I'd tell them to gently caress off with the one off restores but it being a major media company I can't exactly tell them that. Who knows when a story will call for footage from six years ago...which is the entire reason we're restoring everything.

*edit* I'll explain the workflow a bit. They have two SAN volumes, a production SAN and a DR SAN. Mostly everything from the production SAN is mirrored to the DR SAN, at least in the new system. In the old system they had so much poo poo they couldn't archive it off to tape fast enough so the DR SAN was never in full sync with the production SAN. The tape archive system watched certain folders on the DR SAN and applied rules to them, like putting them on tape after X period of time and then truncating (stubbing) the files after another period of time. Pretty standard lifecycle management. This all tied i with their media asset management system which was the basis for them accessing media and such.

All in all the dude responsible isn't very organized and has a very...special way of doing things. So when the time came to replace the storage it all got a little weird with nobody really knowing how much data was on tape. Trust me, I would love to just restore everything in one fell swoop, run a custom script to grab everything that wasn't caught and sync it to the new SAN. However, he wants all the data going from the old DR to the Production SAN which means I get to deal with syncing old data into folders that are currently being worked on. Some of that data might already be there, or there might be newer versions. So not only do I get to restore 600 TB of data I get to figure out the best way to get it onto the new production SAN while keeping existing (and possibly identical) data intact. Rsync is great for this with --ignore-existing but it's too slow. The StorNext tool CVCP is great but only has an update flag, not an ignore flag. So this is very slow going

They're a 24/7 outlet so it's tough to just tell them to shut up and deal with it for however long it takes to pull this stuff from tape. Media is a fun field but we increased the size of their production SAN from 440 TB to 1.3 PB which their users were super happy about.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 28, 2017

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

A blackhole filter on our mailserver recently started blocking rackspace hosted email addresses. Disabled it for now, but thought it was funny considering all the fun stuff happening to their own email servers.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
A personal request from a board member came in. He has a lovely Brother printer that is USB only, and it's plugged in to a dell desktop that shares the printer to his network. This allows him to print from two laptops roaming around.

The problem is that the Dell is old and inconsistent. After power outages he has to go turn the thing back on and then print again. He wants something that will always work, and has asked if I could find a good USB -> Network print server device in the 30-50 dollar range. Everything I've seen online (and worked with in real life) requires constant reboots and can't stay online for more than two days.

Am I insane if I propose buying a Raspberry Pi, automating everything on boot, configuring CUPS, and installing it at the guy's house? I mean to me that's a perfect solution but I'd also know what to do with it if it breaks. This guy isn't going to get ongoing support in the proposal I'll make him sign.

Plus with what I'm going to include for labor he's 100% better off buying a new printer, but he really really likes this thing apparently.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

A personal request from a board member came in. He has a lovely Brother printer that is USB only, and it's plugged in to a dell desktop that shares the printer to his network. This allows him to print from two laptops roaming around.

The problem is that the Dell is old and inconsistent. After power outages he has to go turn the thing back on and then print again. He wants something that will always work, and has asked if I could find a good USB -> Network print server device in the 30-50 dollar range. Everything I've seen online (and worked with in real life) requires constant reboots and can't stay online for more than two days.

Am I insane if I propose buying a Raspberry Pi, automating everything on boot, configuring CUPS, and installing it at the guy's house? I mean to me that's a perfect solution but I'd also know what to do with it if it breaks. This guy isn't going to get ongoing support in the proposal I'll make him sign.

Plus with what I'm going to include for labor he's 100% better off buying a new printer, but he really really likes this thing apparently.

Yes, you're crazy. Despite anything he signs, you're going to get stuck supporting that setup.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

there's a reason "fallacy" is in the phrase "sunk cost fallacy" fyi

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

You can get a true wifi enabled Brother laser printer for like $100. Less if there's a sale. I paid like $80 for mine.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What he wants is a new printer that is Wi-Fi and supports AirPrint.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Thanks Ants posted:

What he wants is a new printer that is Wi-Fi and supports AirPrint.

Oh I absolutely 100% know this

But it's not what he requested.

I'm going to give him two proposals and if he wants to poo poo his money into my wallet for install and support time, fine.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Never touch any non-family computers (even then, case by case) because you will be on the hook for it forever. I would not suggest the RPi/CUPS solution at all unless the person is a nerd and can set it up themselves after being pointed to the documentation. A new networked Brother that does everything built-in and is a commercially-supported product is definitely the way to go here.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Sirotan posted:

It is the year 2017, and our new EHR system can't handle apostrophes in patient names without throwing an SQL escape error. Jesus christ.

I never expect to be free of dealing with this as I have been my whole life and there are a LOT of lovely programmers out there

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm going to give him two proposals and if he wants to poo poo his money into my wallet for install and support time, fine.

Oooh, rookie mistake right there. You give him two proposals that support what he actually needs in different wording.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

He doesn't know what he needs. That's where you come in.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Jeoh posted:

He doesn't know what he needs. That's where you come in.

Hey guys. I want a script or command that will take a directory full of files, take the last three characters of each filename, and then give me a count of how many files there are of each one.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 29, 2017

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Hey guys. I want a script or command that will take a directory full of files, take the last three characters of each filename, and then give me a count of how many files there are of each one.

This made my head hurt...

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

For those that don't get it, please distribute this as far as possible. http://xyproblem.info/

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Now I'm just waiting for a tabbed Explorer window.
Hello, do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior, Total Commander?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

code:
$ ls
eight.jpg four.png  one.txt   six.jpg   three.txt
five.png  nine.jpg  seven.jpg ten.wtf   two.txt
$ ls | while read fn; do echo ${fn:(-3)}; done | sort | uniq -c
   4 jpg
   2 png
   3 txt
   1 wtf
DELIVERED AS PER SPEC *moves story to resolved in JIRA*

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Does anyone actually understand bash parameter expansion rules without looking them up every single time though seriously. That enters "just use python" territory for me.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I do. I've memorized an embarrassing amount of bash.

I still need to lookup find every time I use it, though.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Methanar posted:

I do. I've memorized an embarrassing amount of bash.

I still need to lookup find every time I use it, though.

find * | grep foo

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

An Enormous Boner posted:

Does anyone actually understand bash parameter expansion rules without looking them up every single time though seriously. That enters "just use python" territory for me.
Same question, but batch scripting.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The Fool posted:

find * | grep foo
I believe you mean
code:

grep -R foo . 
:colbert:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Most people use cut or awk or something

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
tar

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I just use tar xvvzf or xvvjf. Anything else and I have to look it up. ps on the other hand I have no clue about.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Try and remember the argument order for ln. I don't know why that took so long.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

anthonypants posted:

Same question, but batch scripting.

This guy makes packs of non-interactive installers which are ostensibly for use with PDQ Deploy but are more generally useful and I like to peek through the .bats in there and see what he's/they've done.
https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/6ggzy9/pdq_deploy_packs_v5000_20170610/
https://github.com/bmrf/pdq_deploy_packs/tree/master/repository

He also worked IT in Antarctica (!)
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5656e1/iama_i_dont_have_a_lot_of_time_but_network/

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 30, 2017

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ln [original file] [path to the new link]. It's like cp, except the thing you create at the destination is a link and not a file.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

vOv posted:

ln [original file] [path to the new link]. It's like cp, except the thing you create at the destination is a link and not a file.
It's confusing is what it is.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

vOv posted:

I just use tar xvvzf or xvvjf. Anything else and I have to look it up. ps on the other hand I have no clue about.

ps faux

Maybe add a few w in there if you want to use up more widescreen

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Certainly not. I had to look up the one I used.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

"ln: the link goes last"

You're welcome.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I have a user who is notorious for turning in the smallest of issues into big major productions. He will often not give any detail until someone from IT shows up at his desk. He didn't disappoint this morning either.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

stevewm posted:

I have a user who is notorious for turning in the smallest of issues into big major productions. He will often not give any detail until someone from IT shows up at his desk. He didn't disappoint this morning either.

The answer being to just tell him you'll get to him in turn as you're dealing with more severe issues unless he can provide details about what is happening

Upon which time you just put him at the bottom of the list anyway.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

iajanus posted:

The answer being to just tell him you'll get to him in turn as you're dealing with more severe issues unless he can provide details about what is happening

Upon which time you just put him at the bottom of the list anyway.

I'd also document the user is refusing to give details on the issue in the ticket as well for CYA

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Proteus Jones posted:

I'd also document the user is refusing to give details on the issue in the ticket as well for CYA

Ticket set to Pending; waiting for further details from User.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ticket set to Pending; waiting for further details from User.

Ticket Purgatory is the best option. Do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Anyone ever actually used a Kensington Lock?

• Locked thread