Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Roeben posted:

This might be a hard one.

It had to do with a vaguely square-shaped desert prison where the inmates had collars around their necks that exploded if they crossed a certain boundary. There were also sand-fish that sliced off people's arms and legs pretty much randomly.

I might be confusing two movies that I saw as a child and mixing them together, though.

The Running Man had a classic explosive collar/desert prison scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbvX3elSaaY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roeben
Jul 23, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Running Man had a classic explosive collar/desert prison scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbvX3elSaaY

That must be the scene that I'm thinking of. And these must be two seperate movies.

The other movie had small slicing (creatures? machines?) things in the sand that chased people and cut off peoples legs on and off-camera, whilst they were running for the safety of a house or standing still. I think they may have flown through the air short distances too. I remember it being quite gruesome at the time I saw it (late 90's).

It was also in a desert, as there was sand everywhere that the creatures moved through.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Roeben posted:

It had to do with a vaguely square-shaped desert prison where the inmates had collars around their necks that exploded if they crossed a certain boundary. There were also sand-fish that sliced off people's arms and legs pretty much randomly.

I might be confusing two movies that I saw as a child and mixing them together, though.

Prison in the desert with explosive collars sounds like Fortress, with Christopher Lambert.
Note that they didn't actually have collars, but something in their stomach. Yellow lines around the complex caused pain, red one exploded or something, been a while since I saw it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106950/

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Roeben posted:

It had to do with a vaguely square-shaped desert prison where the inmates had collars around their necks that exploded if they crossed a certain boundary.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103239/

?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Roeben posted:

That must be the scene that I'm thinking of. And these must be two seperate movies.

The other movie had small slicing (creatures? machines?) things in the sand that chased people and cut off peoples legs on and off-camera, whilst they were running for the safety of a house or standing still. I think they may have flown through the air short distances too. I remember it being quite gruesome at the time I saw it (late 90's).

It was also in a desert, as there was sand everywhere that the creatures moved through.

I mean, they arent small, but might as well rule it out anyway; Its definately not Tremors, right? (although swarms of underground slicing things in a desert also is tickling something deep in my memory... I've watched far too many low budget sci-fi films too long ago to narrow it down at all).

Roeben
Jul 23, 2013

SiKboy posted:

I mean, they arent small, but might as well rule it out anyway; Its definately not Tremors, right? (although swarms of underground slicing things in a desert also is tickling something deep in my memory... I've watched far too many low budget sci-fi films too long ago to narrow it down at all).

Definately not tremors. These creatures were man sized or smaller.

I remember it being low budget as hell, the "creatures" were metallic colored I think, and you often just saw them sliding through the sand as if someone was pulling something through it with a string.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sounds like Screamers

Roeben
Jul 23, 2013

That's it! That's the one! Thanks a lot!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Roeben posted:

Wedlock, with Rutger Hauer?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I can't remember if it was from a movie or a tv show, but the main character lived in an apartment complex and one of his neighbors was a former or current member of the Bloods with a young daughter and refused to say any word with the letter c in it b/c he hated the Crips so much. All I remember is a line where his daughter whines that she wants to watch Care Bears, and he corrects her saying 'what'd we say? We call it 'Bare Bears''.

The line/what it's from is driving me nuts. I tried tossing it into a google search, but the only thing that comes up is some cartoon called 'We Bare Bears'. Any idea?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

LadyPictureShow posted:

I can't remember if it was from a movie or a tv show, but the main character lived in an apartment complex and one of his neighbors was a former or current member of the Bloods with a young daughter and refused to say any word with the letter c in it b/c he hated the Crips so much. All I remember is a line where his daughter whines that she wants to watch Care Bears, and he corrects her saying 'what'd we say? We call it 'Bare Bears''.

The line/what it's from is driving me nuts. I tried tossing it into a google search, but the only thing that comes up is some cartoon called 'We Bare Bears'. Any idea?

TV show "Insecure", S1 E2.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Origami Dali posted:

TV show "Insecure", S1 E2.

Oh man, thank you! That show wasn't even on my radar of 'possible suspects'

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
80s low budget sci-fi fantasy dystopia. It's one of those Conan the Barbarian set in the post apocalypse deals, but I remember it ending with full color footage of a mushroom cloud for some reason.

It may have been featured on MST3K.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

SimonCat posted:

80s low budget sci-fi fantasy dystopia. It's one of those Conan the Barbarian set in the post apocalypse deals, but I remember it ending with full color footage of a mushroom cloud for some reason.

It could be Cave Dwellers (aka Ator II) if it was on MST3K.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ator_2_-_L%27invincibile_Orion

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

I think he's a fine writer in that several of my favorite 80s comedies have him among the writing teams. Spies Like Us, GB, Coneheads,Dragnet. It's entirely possible it's just crediting him for script tweaks but if he was in the writers room in a fan of his writing work.

His only directing job was Nothing But Trouble so he's 100% awful as a director.

You don't get credit unless you or your writing team wrote a significant amount of material (compared to the final draft). Or if you wrote the original draft. Little tweaks normally aren't enough for credit.

Roeben posted:

It isn't the desert, but that sort of happens in The Langoliers to Bronson Pinchot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYa54e91hfY

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

SimonCat posted:

might be yor: hunter from the future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q39f4YzK6sU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

holy poo poo, I had totally forgotten about this movie until this very second. drat.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Yes, that was it!

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Amazingly enough, I saw that poo poo in a theater. The girl at the ticket window told my mom that she should take me and my brother to Yor instead of Wargames because Wargames looked boring.

I am an old person.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Amazingly enough, I saw that poo poo in a theater. The girl at the ticket window told my mom that she should take me and my brother to Yor instead of Wargames because Wargames looked boring.

I am an old person.

so was she right?

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

no, wargames was a great movie

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Theater near me has an annual horror marathon but usually trickles out the lineup over a few months. Any guesses as to the stuff mentioned in the first paragraph?

quote:

Join us for this year's incarnation of the MUSIC BOX OF HORRORS as we swiftly descend into madness through the exploits of zombified police run-ins and adolescent lycanthropy, dizzying dives into the wicked seductions of the occult, uber-degradation of the otherwise-sane mind-scape, nunsploitation in a water-locked covenant, and oh-so much more.

This year, the Music Box of Horrors is delighted to bring you John Carpenter's underseen brain-melter IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS (1994), featuring a POSSESSION-worthy turn from Sam Neill; an ultra-rare screening, from the only surviving print (16mm!), of Rusty Cundieff 's funeral-director omnibus TALES FROM THE HOOD (1995); and a crash-landing in the tundra of Finland for a pitch-black, comedic take on the Santa Claus mythology with RARE EXPORTS: A CHRISTMAS TALE (2010)

zombified police run-ins: ?
adolescent lycanthropy: guessing Ginger Snaps or sequels
dizzying dives into the wicked seductions of the occult: could be anything
uber-degradation of the otherwise-sane mind-scape: probably ITMOM
nunsploitation in a water-locked covenant: ?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Zombified police run-ins could be Dead Heat, one of the Maniac Cops, or Return of the Living Dead.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There's a zombie/cop fight in Tales From The Hood too, it might be that one since they also list it in the next paragraph.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
There's also a memorable zombie cop dream sequence in Night of the Comet.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

a quick google suggests the water-logged nunsploitation is Dark Waters (1994) aka Dead Waters

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Why would adolescent lycanthropy not be I Was A Teenage Werewolf?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

What's the name of the movie where there's some kind of throne room on a spaceship of some kind and there's a ton of glass walls and they get shattered? It's definitely in space but it doesn't look like a spaceship inside. I guess it's like the end of Return of the Jedi but it's really not that, the room is much more open and also the glass is shattered by something!

For some reason I thought it was Lifeforce but it's really not that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jedit posted:

Why would adolescent lycanthropy not be I Was A Teenage Werewolf?

Teen Wolf Too

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Akuma posted:

What's the name of the movie where there's some kind of throne room on a spaceship of some kind and there's a ton of glass walls and they get shattered? It's definitely in space but it doesn't look like a spaceship inside. I guess it's like the end of Return of the Jedi but it's really not that, the room is much more open and also the glass is shattered by something!

The Black Hole? Or the end of Dune, but that doesn't take place in space.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Was it animated? Project A-ko does that. Which of course means they probably lifted it from something else too.

Akuma posted:

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Akuma posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa_p9Up9DFg

only one glass wall tho

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks guys! It's not any of those, though. It's definitely live action, some kind of very sparse throne room with glass walls but it's definitely in space, and I remember space commando types storming the room by smashing the glass which seemed dumb because I don't remember the air being sucked out. It felt very low budget!

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Akuma posted:

Thanks guys! It's not any of those, though. It's definitely live action, some kind of very sparse throne room with glass walls but it's definitely in space, and I remember space commando types storming the room by smashing the glass which seemed dumb because I don't remember the air being sucked out. It felt very low budget!

sounds kinda like a part in krull or ice pirates - they both have glass wall throne room smashy things

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Starcrash (1979)!

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Yeah that's the scene in Starcrash where one empire fires torpedos at another empire's ship and the torpedos break the glass of the bridge and instead of exploding they open up and a bunch of troops pop out and begin firing.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

ynohtna posted:

Starcrash (1979)!
YES! That's it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJX5O0zDYoU

At about 1hr 16mins.

Thank you! Seems like I conflated the throne roomy place, which also had a lot of glass, with wherever that is where they come crashing through and nobody gets sucked out into space. At least I think they're not the same room, I just skimmed through the whole movie to find it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Starcrash loving rules, it's the cheap Italian knockoff of Star Wars from the same man who directed Contamination, a cheap Italian knockoff of Alien.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

That's a pretty quick turnaround for a knockoff. But I guess that's the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If you want an excuse to watch it, it's an episode of the new season of MST3K.