Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Don't move, they can't see you if you don't move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Freeze! Dinosaur* vision is based on motion**!

*Komodo dragons are not dinosaurs
**Not at all true

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Serpentine! SERPENTINE!!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Jurassic Park has never steered me wrong! FREEZE!

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Cathode Raymond posted:

Freeze! Dinosaur* vision is based on motion**!

*Komodo dragons are not dinosaurs
**Not at all true

In Goosebumpsland, this theory has held water on at least one occasion I can think of, so at the risk of metagaming, let's stand still!

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

:goleft:

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You freeze. You hold perfectly, completely still. You don't even breathe. You don't want to attract too much attention.

How nice of you! The Komodo dragon really appreciates your cooperation.

CHOMP!

He doesn't even have to use his tail to knock you to the ground. He just digs his razor-sharp teeth into your side and... let's just say you make a tasty snack.

What's wrong? You didn't expect it to end this way? You thought this was just virtual reality? You thought it was just a game?

Sorry. It might be virtual reality - but it's the only reality you've got right now!

And if it's just a game, YOU LOSE!

GAME OVER

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
Asphyxiated by off-brand Monster Blood.
Trapped in an airtight box by a power outage.
Mistaken for an alien and presumably vivisected at Area 51.
Sedated after falling off a rolling chair.
Torn limb from limb by the dreaded Vamporilla.
:siren:Eaten by a virtual Komodo dragon.:siren:

Achievements
Who Names Their Kid That?: Discover Dr. Eeek's embarrassing real name.

Our options posted:

• Look for your mom.
  • Go along with Vanessa.
  • Run from the Komodo dragon.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Like I said, run you idiot!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

serefin99 posted:

Like I said, run you idiot!

Holy poo poo, run definitely holds water!

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Where's Vanessa?

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Where's Vanessa?

Hell if I know. With the exception of that Sleeping Spray ending, she basically just disappears from the plot after you meet Dr. Eeek. Maybe she just went home like the receptionist.

quote:

No way you're sticking around with a Komodo dragon - you RUN! You dash into the bushes and sprint like crazy. But the bushes are filled with prickly thorns.

The Komodo dragon is on your tail - sort of. You don't really have a tail - he does. But he's chasing you.

You trip, and he manages to sink his big, jagged teeth into your shoe!

You stumble to your feet and run in a zigzag pattern. You read somewhere that Komodo dragons can't make quick turns. You hope this will help you escape.

You're right. The Komodo dragon gives up. It's fast - but it can't hang in there very long. It stops chasing you and turns around to go the other way. Finally you drop to the ground, dead tired.

Dr. Eeek takes the headset off you. "The experiment is over," he announces. But when you glance down at your arms and legs, you scream!

quote:

You can't believe it!

Your clothes are torn! Your arms and legs are scratched and bleeding from the thorns in the prickly bushes!

"How - ? What happened?" you cry. "I thought that was just virtual reality."

Dr. Eeek gives you a nasty smile. "Never mind," he grumbles. "Your part of the experiment is over. You are free to go - if you really want to. Or..."

Or what? Is he nuts? Of course you want to leave!

Until you gaze over at Sam. He's still strapped into his black leather chair with his headset on - and he's clutching his throat. He starts to scream.

"Help!" Sam cries. "Please - someone! Help!"

"As I said, you may leave," Dr. Eeek says. "Or you can return to the virtual reality - Sam's reality - and try to save him." Dr. Eeek snickers. "Without you, I'm afraid he's not going to make it."

Oh, no! You've got to do something to help your friend! But what?

If you're willing to put on the headset, turn to PAGE 105.

If you run out of there and try to find someone to help Sam, turn to PAGE 84.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Eaten by a virtual Komodo dragon.

Achievements

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Let's help Sam. He is our friend, and we love him.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Put the goggles on.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
You know what helps against bears? Someone who is an even slower runner than you. Ditch Sam and find an adult.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You gulp and bravely sit back down in the leather chair. If this is the only way to save Sam, you're willing to do it.

Dr. Eeek straps on the headset - and straps down your arms. Then he pushes some buttons on the console. Instantly you see what Sam is seeing.

YIKES!

Sam is underwater in a huge tank in Eeek Labs - and he's struggling with a two-headed octopus! And if it has two heads, you know without even counting that it must have sixteen arms!

You lean over the edge of the tank. You try to give Sam a hand. But before you reach Sam, the octopus reaches out to you!

It wraps one long gray-black tentacle around your neck!

quote:

"Let go!" you shout at the octopus. You grab at a spear that's hanging near the edge of the oversized tank. You jab the octopus with the spear. The huge, gray-black tentacle jerks back. Then you reach in the tank and jab the tentacle around Sam's neck.

Inky black liquid squirts out into the water. For a moment, you can't see a thing.

Then all at once, Sam bobs to the surface.

"Thanks!" he shouts. You give him a hand out of the tank.

The two of you dry off, using towels that seem to be waiting for you. Then Sam ducks into a locker room to find a change of clothes. While he's gone, Dr. Eeek walks into the room.

Hey - isn't this still virtual reality? What's he doing here?

"Well, well, well," Dr. Eeek says. "How are we doing, people? Having a nice swim?"

Oh, no! You suddenly get it. You've got to defeat Dr. Eeek here - in the virtual reality game! On his own turf!

You try to dodge and run around him. But he grabs you on the wrist. Your right wrist. You were planning to slug him.

Now what are you going to do?

If you are right-handed, turn to PAGE 16.

If you are left-handed, turn to PAGE 88.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Turn to page 88. Nothing sinister about that!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

There is a correlation between being a big gay nerd and being left handed, so I suspect we're going to nail this one.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

If Doctor Eeek wonders why we're smiling, it's because we know something he don't know.

We're not right handed

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

As a genuine lefty i can't wait to see what bullshit instadeath was custom-made for like 10% of the population.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Sighence posted:

As a genuine lefty i can't wait to see what bullshit instadeath was custom-made for like 10% of the population.

Quite the opposite, actually. Stine himself is left-handed, so the bullshit instadeath is reserved for the righties.

quote:

You pull your left hand back and make a fist. Then you wind up and throw the punch of a lifetime.

POW!

It decks Dr. Eeek, easy. He's out cold.

Then you and Sam run at top speed. Out of the lab. Down the hall. To the waiting room. When you get there, the big vault door is standing open.

Your heart pounds. Sweat drips from your hair. You can hardly believe you've finally escaped that madman!

You dash into the hall and hammer on the elevator button. You think if you press it more times, it'll arrive sooner.

Finally the elevator comes, and you and Sam step in.

You press the button for the eighteenth floor - one floor below. That's where your mom's office is, right?

The elevator goes down one floor. But when the door opens on eighteen, you gasp.

You are staring into nothing.

Not a room. Not a hallway. Just empty space.

Utter nothingness!

quote:

"What is this?" Sam asks. You both peer into the emptiness in front of you.

You think quickly. It looks like the blank screen you saw before Dr. Eeek turned on the virtual reality machine.

Then you get it. "It's nothing," you tell Sam. "Because Dr. Eeek didn't program it! He didn't program the eighteenth floor - or my mom - or anything else in this building."

"Oh, no," Sam moans. "Then we're stuck?"

quote:

"We're stuck - in Dr. Eeek's lab," you agree. "Unless you can reprogram Dr. Eeek's computer."

"No problem," Sam says. "I learned how to do that at summer camp. We've just got to find the computer room!"

Hey - you knew there was a reason you liked Sam so much!

You and Sam slap each other high fives. Then you race back to the lab. Dr. Eeek is still out cold on the floor.

Sam sits down at the computer console and starts typing.

This is weird! you think. In reality, you and Sam are still sitting in the black leather chairs. Strapped in. Watching this virtual reality game.

But in the game, you're reprogramming Dr. Eeek's computer - so you can get out of here!

Sam changes the program in minutes. Now the game has everything - the eighteenth floor, your mom, and even the police department. It's located right across the street from Eeek Labs.

Once again, you and Sam race down the hall. Punch the elevator buttons. Zip down to the eighteenth floor. Find your mom. And call the police.

Then the picture in your headset goes totally blank!

quote:

You stare at the blank screen in your headset. Then slowly, you raise your arms and take the headset off.

Hey - how did your arms get loose? A minute ago they were strapped down in that black chair. Weren't they?

You blink and gaze around the room.

"Welcome back," a smiling face says when your eyes finally focus on the real world.

Mom! She's standing right in front of you - with the police! And Dr. Eeek is still lying on the floor, out cold.

"Mom!" you cry. "How did you get here?"

"You came down to the eighteenth floor and found me," she says. "Remember? And then I called the police and - "

But that was just in the virtual reality game. Wasn't it?

You shake your head and don't say anything. Why bother? You and Sam are safe now. And Dr. Eeek is going to jail. The police tell you they found all kinds of creepy stuff in his labs. Including a giant toad that can sing!

"A giant toad that can sing?" Sam asks. A smile creeps across his face. Then he bolts out of the room and dashes down the hall, searching for it.

Uh-oh. Here you go again! Maybe this really isn't...

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

:siren:Goal Endings: 1/2:siren:

Bad Endings

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Look for your mom.
  • Go along with Vanessa.
  • Leave Sam and go find help.
  • Fight Dr. Eeek with your right hand.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Where's my mom?!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Right hand!

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Holy poo poo that worked?! That's loving nuts!

Yeah, let's see the bullshit insta-death for us righties.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That ending seems vaguely sinister, like the implication appears to be that we're still in VR. Let's look for mom.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also, I have to say, this one seems a little short? Like I dunno if we raced to the end or whatever but "do the experiment > run from the dragon > help Sam" is a really small chain of decisions.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Android Blues posted:

That ending seems vaguely sinister, like the implication appears to be that we're still in VR. Let's look for mom.

I THINK the point was supposed to be that the 'vr' stuff was all real and like, astral projection or teleportation or something, and that's why you can die in the VR game, or something like that. Who knows, though, R.L. Stein never seemed to be against leaving plotholes and vagueness in his stories.

Anyway, yeah, let's go Look for mom at the start of the book.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"Let's go look for my mom," you tell Sam. "But remember - no goofing around. This is a science lab."

"Right," Sam agrees. He zooms through the waiting room door into a long hallway. You quickly follow.

Hmmm. The hallway is pretty boring. Just a lot of closed doors on both white walls. And there's no way to know what's behind most of them.

You open the first one and peek in.

Bummer. It's just the lounge. At least that's what it looks like. There are two beat-up brown couches, a table, some chairs, and a bunch of vending machines.

"Got any change?" Sam asks. "I'm starving."

You pull out coins from your pocket. You've got enough for only one snack selection. You drop the coins into the slot in the machine. You start to punch the number of your favorite candy bar.

But before you can hit the buttons, a hand suddenly clamps down on your shoulder!

quote:

"Wow!" you gasp as you turn around.

It's a big hairy chimpanzee!

You and Sam freeze. This chimp has you cornered in the lounge. Where did he come from? Is he friendly? Or dangerous? You have no idea what he'll do.

And he's bigger than any chimp you've ever seen.

In fact, he's at least as tall as you are. More like a gorilla, you think. You swallow hard.

"I've never seen a chimp up close like this before," Sam whispers.

"Me, neither," you whisper back.

The chimp tilts his head, staring at you. He never seems to blink.

Then slowly he reaches his other big hairy hand - toward your throat!

quote:

You want to scream, but nothing comes out.

The chimp moves closer. Closer to your throat.

But he doesn't grab you. Or even touch you. Instead, he reaches past you - to the buttons on the candy machine. He points directly at A-6.

"Hey!" cries Sam. "He wants you to get a different candy bar!"

"Cool," you say, smiling at this amazing monkey. "But is it okay to give candy to a chimp?"

Before you can decide, Sam pushes the buttons for A-6. A chocolatey-peanuty thing drops into the slot. Sam quickly unwraps the candy bar and hands it to the chimpanzee.

His monstrous teeth chomp down - hard - on the candy. He finishes it in two bites - and then pats you on the head.

A moment later, he motions for you fo follow him.

"Come on! Let's see what he wants!" Sam cries.

"I don't know," you reply. "I thought we were looking for my mom. Maybe we should go back to the waiting room."

Sam rolls his eyes. "Where's your sense of adventure?"

Well? Where is your sense of adventure?

If you follow the chimp, turn to PAGE 101.

If you go back to the waiting room, turn to PAGE 42.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings

Achievements

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

If we follow this chimp we just might get to meet the Vamporilla. Right?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Android Blues posted:

If we follow this chimp we just might get to meet the Vamporilla. Right?

:yeah:

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Let's follow the chimp, he seems pretty friendly.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Follow that monkey!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You follow the chimp. He leads you quickly down the gleaming-white hallway. Oddly enough, he seems to know exactly where he's going.

When the chimp's not watching, Sam stoops over. He copies the chimp's lumbering scamper. "Ooo! Ooo!" Sam cries, scratching his underarms and making chimp faces.

The chimp turns around and catches Sam at it. He glares at both of you.

Weird, you think. You know chimps are supposed to be smart animals, but the gleam in this one's eyes...! Frankly, you think, he looks smarter than Sam!

At last you come to a door. The chimp opens it and makes a sound. It sounds kind of like "eeek."

What's in here? you wonder. You step through the door into a large laboratory. Sam follows right behind.

Inside, a tall man wearing a lab coat writes on a clipboard. He whirls around. He glares at you with intense dark eyes.

"Who are you?" he demands loudly. "What are you doing here?"

quote:

You try to stay cool - even with the scientist glaring at you. You introduce yourself and Sam to the man. You reach out to shake his hand. Grown-ups usually like that.

"Ah, yes," the man says, squeezing your hand a little too tightly. "I know your mother well. A brilliant scientist."

You smile proudly.

The chimp tugs on the sleeve of the man's lab coat, trying to get his attention. He makes some signs with his hands. You can't figure out what he's trying to say - but it seems to be a kind of sign language.

The man nods, as if he understands.

"I am Professor Yzark. One of Dr. Eeek's assistants," the man says. "I see you've met Oscar." He nods toward the chimp. "Would you care to take a look at our work?"

He leads you and Sam to a wall of windows. You both peer through.

"Wow!" Sam gasps.

quote:

Your mouth falls open as you stare through the lab window. To your amazement, the lab is filled with chimps! But they're not just monkeying around. They're doing cool things - playing checkers, painting pictures, and reading books.

"Look!" Sam says. "Those two chimps are playing video games! Wow! Can you believe their scores?"

"What kind of research are you doing in here?" you ask Professor Yzark.

"Studying the brains of chimpanzees," he explains. "Chimps are very smart. And physically they're a lot like people. There is much we can learn from them."

Oscar gives the professor a nudge. A hard nudge - as if he wants something.

The professor jumps a little. Then he turns to you. "Oscar is wondering if you'd care to go inside," Professor Yzark says. He nods toward the next room. "To see the research... up close."

"Sure!" Sam cries. "Can we play video games?"

"Oscar would like that very much," Professor Yzark replies with a strange smile.

What's he smiling about? you wonder.

"Come on!" Sam urges you. "What are you waiting for?"

If you go into the room with the chimps, turn to PAGE 67.

If not, then think of an excuse on PAGE 108.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings

Achievements

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Let's actually not go into the chimp room. I just wanna see how this situation turns sour if we're like "uh, no thanks".

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i see nothing wrong with the chimp room.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Don't listen to Dr Krazy, avoid the room.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
I foresee an ending where we're turned into a chimp or something. In any case, go see the chimps.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ratatozsk posted:

Don't listen to Dr Krazy, avoid the room.

No, he's Doctor Yzark. The opposite of crazy. Like how Alucard isn't Dracula.

That said, Alucard is still a vampire, so...

Let's not visit the chimps.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Obviously the chimps are friends and this doctor guy seems nice enough. Let's visit the chimp room

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Excuse routine, go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I like how he forgets to mention how chimps are physically much stronger than humans and an entire room of them could easily rip a couple of kids apart limb from limb. So, um, let's not enter the chimp room.