Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
SKS chat: I wish I'd talked my father into buying another one for me when they were cheap back in the '90s. it's such a cute, handy lil' carbine.

He's a Vietnam vet, so he ... may have used one before, and certainly was on the receiving end of them.

Vs AK: cf. a Ruger Mini-14 being confused with an AR-15.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Smith-Corona was a subcontractor for M1903 rifle barrels during World War Two.
And Remington-Rand (the typewriter company, not the gun Reminton), Singer (sewing machines) and a jukebox company made 1911A1 pistols. It's kinda crazy to our modern sensibilities how fully the industrial might of the US committed to winning WWII. There weren't any '43 or '44-model cars, all the car companies were building tanks and poo poo. As opposed to the British armories, which mainly made guns for the Crown but also motorcycles as a side gig.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is "fire-and-maneuver" still a concept that's practiced in contemporary infantry tactics, or has thinking (and technology) evolved since then?
How else can infantry work, aside from musket-style lines/columns?

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 28, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/wellerstein/status/890937206117998592

So much depends
Upon

A yellow bomb
Core

Smaller than a soccer
Ball

Between the two
POGs

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Delivery McGee posted:

How else can infantry work, aside from musket-style lines/columns?

My question was more along the lines of doctrinal change/evolution, in the same way that the US now practices "Air-Land Battle" compared to ... did they have a name for their WW2/pre-80s doctrine? I know Hearts of Iron called it "Overwhelming Firepower", as compared to Blitzkrieg, Deep Battle, etc.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Delivery McGee posted:

SKS chat: I wish I'd talked my father into buying another one for me when they were cheap back in the '90s. it's such a cute, handy lil' carbine.

He's a Vietnam vet, so he ... may have used one before, and certainly was on the receiving end of them.

Vs AK: cf. a Ruger Mini-14 being confused with an AR-15.

And Remington-Rand (the typewriter company, not the gun Reminton), Singer (sewing machines) and a jukebox company made 1911A1 pistols. It's kinda crazy to our modern sensibilities how fully the industrial might of the US committed to winning WWII. There weren't any '43 or '44-model cars, all the car companies were building tanks and poo poo. As opposed to the British armories, which mainly made guns for the Crown but also motorcycles as a side gig.

Some of the most valuable collectible 1911s today are the 550,000 produced by Union Switch & Signal, a railroad signal manufacturer.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i've taken a typewriter apart, and they're pretty pistol-like in there.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

gradenko_2000 posted:

My question was more along the lines of doctrinal change/evolution, in the same way that the US now practices "Air-Land Battle" compared to ... did they have a name for their WW2/pre-80s doctrine? I know Hearts of Iron called it "Overwhelming Firepower", as compared to Blitzkrieg, Deep Battle, etc.

Ah. But still, pretty sure small-unit tactics have just evolved with technology (more lead in the air, thus quicker advancing), but haven't really changed since ... WWII? Squad LMG/designated marksman/grenadier covers the riflemen's advance, the riflemen lay down cover for the fancy guy(s) to move up, repeat. Can't really improve on that.

Edit: somewhere on the internet, I've seen stats for bullets fired:enemy casualty ratio. IIRC it went up quite a bit when bolt-action rifles came into vogue, skyrocketed in WWII, and tripled that in Vietnam. The machine gun isn't meant to kill the enemy, it's just to make them keep their heads down so the riflemen can advance.

HEY GAIL posted:

i've taken a typewriter apart, and they're pretty pistol-like in there.
Yeah, fiddly small steel parts, it makes sense.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 28, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

Air Land battle was an operational level concept, fire-and-maneuver as we generally think of it is pretty strictly tactical. Operational stuff changes all the time; the basic idea of suppression enabling maneuver hasn't changed much at all since rifles came on the scene.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

bewbies posted:

Air Land battle was an operational level concept, fire-and-maneuver as we generally think of it is pretty strictly tactical. Operational stuff changes all the time; the basic idea of suppression enabling maneuver hasn't changed much at all since rifles came on the scene.

Right. Air Land Battle is about fire support/CAS, infantry tactics didn't change. And I said WWII because WWI was kinda not so much that sort of thing, but you're right, the modern small-unit infantry tactics have their roots in Napoleonic-Wars British riflemen, see Sharpe & Co.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

HEY GAIL posted:

lenoon happens to study these people for a living, where's he at

Took a forums break while I sorted out some mental health issues and got a new job and all that stuff! Just catching up with the thread. Got another hundred odd pages to go. Still the most interesting thread on the forums.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

lenoon posted:

Took a forums break while I sorted out some mental health issues and got a new job and all that stuff! Just catching up with the thread. Got another hundred odd pages to go. Still the most interesting thread on the forums.
hi

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

lenoon posted:

:wave:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

lenoon posted:

Welcome back, sorry for all of my posts you have yet to go through.

Biffmotron posted:

From Army FM 3.21-8 The Infantry Rifle Platoon and Squad, which dates from 2007. A quick skim at USMC manuals suggests they're pretty similar at this level

Read this and instantly be better at any co-op video game. L4D especially lends itself to squad tactics, TF2, GTAV and the like not so much because it's just chaos, but it'll help a little.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Welcome back. We talked about guns and hats and pikes and stuff to save you time.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I mostly shitposted about projectiles and engines

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

GotLag posted:

Coors made ceramic fuel elements for Project Pluto

This was actually before they got into making beer.

Holy gently caress Pluto/SLAM was awesome/insane.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Thank gently caress for ICBMs, if not for them then Pluto might actually have been built.

Nuclear-powered cruise missiles the size of locomotives, dropping dozens of nukes each then flying racetrack courses over the Soviet Union, irradiating as they go.

Edit: Pluto is mentioned in A Colder War, and it really belongs there and only there.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 28, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
On Sergei Rudenko and his 16th Air Army shortly before Operation Uranus began

By 19 November he had 342 aircraft, including 93 night bombers and 14 liaison aircraft. He also faced a unique problem with mice that gnawed wiring in aircraft, then contaminated food and water, leading to an outbreak of mouse cholera or tularemia on 9 November that gave many of his staff officers high fevers, killed two, and, at one point, left only Rudenko and an Operations Department lieutenant on their feet. The sick were soon nursed back to health and the aircrews remained unaffected.

On Soviet pilot quality - 19 November 1942

By 19 November [1942] the VVS had 5,014 combat aircraft on the main battle front, but there were only 4,819 aircrew of whom just 958 were fully trained.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 28, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Strap grenade to end of stick -> Put contact fuze on top of grenade

Pull pin and throw.

I feel like that is very clearly an anti tank pike.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

What is a pike but a spear javelin unthrown?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like pikes are intended to be reusable, and since lunge mines blow up (and blow you up with them), they are not pikes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Davin Valkri posted:

I feel like pikes are intended to be reusable, and since lunge mines blow up (and blow you up with them), they are not pikes.

I dunno I think if you actually took a charging horse out with one you might knacker the pike in the process. You just rely on the horseman not wanting to become a kebab.

Applying my understanding of classical history to the lunge mine I determine that you could increase survivability for the user by making it sixteen feet long and getting lots of people to use them together in tight formations.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 28, 2017

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Delivery McGee posted:

Edit: somewhere on the internet, I've seen stats for bullets fired:enemy casualty ratio. IIRC it went up quite a bit when bolt-action rifles came into vogue, skyrocketed in WWII, and tripled that in Vietnam. The machine gun isn't meant to kill the enemy, it's just to make them keep their heads down so the riflemen can advance.

Pretty sure that's a myth and the machine gunner will have more enemy casualties than an individual rifleman. And I know this was more phrasing but machine guns are very much meant to kill the enemy even if suppressing fire is also part of their job.

Also welcome back lenoon and do you have any thoughts on Dunkirk?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Pontius Pilate posted:

Pretty sure that's a myth and the machine gunner will have more enemy casualties than an individual rifleman. And I know this was more phrasing but machine guns are very much meant to kill the enemy even if suppressing fire is also part of their job.

The machine gunner might have more casualties but not per-bullet.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
rodrigo diaz sent this to me a billion years ago and i found it again right now:

jaques callot again, this one's in the Hermitage

paintings are usually pretty idealized, and only in engravings or little sketches like this (looks like pencil and ink--i wonder if it was a study for something else?) can you really see how thin and tattered early 17th century soldiers were. Anyway: shields and swords

The sense of movement and body language in this piece is just perfect. With a few smudges of ink--you can't even see his face!--Callot has captured the rodelero's posture, his sleeves, his long hair in the wind

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 28, 2017

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Pontius Pilate posted:

Haven't seen it yet, but my understanding of Dunkirk is from Milligan's war memoirs: "it was a cock up, son, an almighty cock up". Seems like they covered that bit fairly well.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Here's a paper from the General Staff College about the development of post-WWII doctrine:
http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/cgsc/carl/download/csipubs/doughty.pdf

And between the end of Vietnam and the adoption of Air Land Battle there was Active Defense or "The DePuy Manual":
http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/cgsc/carl/download/csipubs/herbert.pdf

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Is that dude in the painting left handed? Didn't think that was common back then - does it make a difference in a pike block?
Isn't there something about left-handed duelists being good because they're much more used to fighting right-handers than vice versa?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Chaffee in the USSR.

Queue: M4A2(76)W, PzII Ausf. a though b, PzII Ausf. c through C, PzII Ausf. D through E, PzII Ausf. F, PzII trials in the USSR, Marder II, Field modifications to American tanks, Israeli improvised armoured cars, Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR, Polish 37 mm anti-tank gun, T-37 with ShKAS, Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38, Tank destroyers on the T-30 and T-40 chassis, 45 mm M-42 gun, SU-76 prototype, ZIK-7 and other light SPG designs, SU-26/T-26-6, SU-122 precursors, SU-122 competitors, Light Tank M5, Tankbuchse 41, s.FH. 18, PzVII Lowe, Tiger #114, Chrysler K, A1E1 Independent, Valentine I-IV, Swedish tanks 1928–1934, Strv 81 and Strv 101, Pak 97/38, 7.5 cm Pak 41, Czechoslovakian post-war prototypes, Praga AH-IV, KV-1S, KV-13, Bazooka, Super Bazooka, Matilda, 76 mm gun mod of the Matilda, Renault FT, Somua,

Available for request:

:ussr:
SU-122
T-60 tanks produced at factory #37
Path from the KV-13 to the IS-1
SU-122M NEW

:911:
Medium Tank M3

:sweden:
L-10 and L-30
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951
Strv m/21
Strv m/41
pvkv m/43 NEW

:godwin:
D.W. and VK 30.01(H)
Wespe and other PzII SPGs
Pz38(t) in the USSR

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

Isn't there something about left-handed duelists being good because they're much more used to fighting right-handers than vice versa?
I dunno about duels, but fencing a lefty is a pain in the dick. :argh: And in that context, it really is true that they get a bit of an edge, since everybody spends most of their time fencing right-handers.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFJI04ifSoM

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A light machinegun fed by stripper clip.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rockopolis posted:

Is that dude in the painting left handed? Didn't think that was common back then - does it make a difference in a pike block?
left handers are challenging to fight. i've never seen a pikeman who fights left-handed, but there's not very much fine-motor control in it. We've got a left handed musketeer, and he has a left-handed musket and does all the movements backwards. Unlike in later periods, this is fine because everyone's a few feet apart from one another--nobody's shoulder to shoulder.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

That machine gun fires forty rounds per minute per crewman.

What is the point?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

OwlFancier posted:

A light machinegun fed by stripper clip.

The Japanese Type 11 was better/worse. It was fed by rifle stripper clips stacked in a hopper, with an integral oil bottle to grease each cartridge as it loads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH9VQGht8CU&t=17s

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Remora posted:

That machine gun fires forty rounds per minute per crewman.

What is the point?

The Italians took a while to figure out machine guns.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GotLag posted:

The Japanese Type 11 was better/worse. It was fed by rifle stripper clips stacked in a hopper, with an integral oil bottle to grease each cartridge as it loads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH9VQGht8CU&t=17s

That at least has a logistical reason behind it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

That at least has a logistical reason behind it.

Which was promptly ruined by issuing special clips of low-power ammo to keep from battering the gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HEY GAIL posted:

left handers are challenging to fight. i've never seen a pikeman who fights left-handed, but there's not very much fine-motor control in it. We've got a left handed musketeer, and he has a left-handed musket and does all the movements backwards. Unlike in later periods, this is fine because everyone's a few feet apart from one another--nobody's shoulder to shoulder.

Have lefty muskets been found? That'd be fascinating.