Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

M_Sinistrari posted:

Considering I did lose some clothes in my first conversion from TSW to SWL, I'm really not crazy about giving another conversion a go.

From what I gather you're just linking your SWL account to Steam, nothing else changes other than the fact you launch and pay from Steam instead

Anything you were missing before will stay missing even on Steam :v: (until they're fixed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Len posted:

WTB a 3 pip Orochi Motivator with a good tanking type.

Hey gently caress you, I'm next in line.

Although tanks are so common in SWL it's actually hard to find groups, hmm....

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Richard M Nixon posted:

Hey gently caress you, I'm next in line.

Although tanks are so common in SWL it's actually hard to find groups, hmm....
I've found the queues to be shortest when I'm tanking, though they're rarely very long for the other roles (unless the group finder has gone arse over tit).

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

novaSphere posted:

From what I gather you're just linking your SWL account to Steam, nothing else changes other than the fact you launch and pay from Steam instead

Anything you were missing before will stay missing even on Steam :v: (until they're fixed)

I'm still iffy on the once it's Steam linked, there's no going back to use the other version. I know I'm being a bit paranoid but I can't help but keep thinking the worst and the game's pulled from Steam for whatever reason and I'm screwed. With how much I've put into my stuff from just running around, I really don't want to have to start from scratch. Not to mention there'd go my ARG weapons which I'm kinda partial to.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

So main and side quests reset every 72 hours (8 hours for Patrons) and zone quests like "hey you're by wisps go kill wisps" reset sometime less than that (24 hours?) Do you only get a drop from the world minibosses like Dumpster Diver once or are they on a reset timer too?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Only once from the named mobs around the world.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's 2017 and City of the Sun God still sucks.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

It's 2017 and City of the Sun God still sucks.

Can't be saved. The "city" is just a bunch of featureless hills with no visual reference markers.

Some nice locations in there but the whole flow of the place is just off.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

DancingShade posted:

Can't be saved. The "city" is just a bunch of featureless hills with no visual reference markers.

Some nice locations in there but the whole flow of the place is just off.

I love how they just added jump pads to the place to try and make it easier to navigate. Did the story mission always feature teleports so you can just blitz it with minimal exploration?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

I love how they just added jump pads to the place to try and make it easier to navigate. Did the story mission always feature teleports so you can just blitz it with minimal exploration?

Nope! And you absolutely got lost as hell trying to navigate those winding canyons.

Taking the hills meant huge piles of enemies you probably didn't want to face in your green QL7s and terrible build, because all the good skills & passives were buried deep in that wheel of eternal grinding.

Say what you like about the relaunch but the progression path is tons easier for new players now.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jesus, that place must have been a nightmare to navigate without the teleports and jump pads.

Is it possible to climb to to the top of the pyramid? I made it pretty far before I felt like I was bumping into an invisible wall.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
Now that it's been out a while, how's SW2 actually looking now that there's presumably been a patch or two? I remember hearing something about being able to instantly unlock all weapon types from the beginning, thus saving a lot of time if you already have an existing account (which I do, from the very brief time I was looking at the original TSW). And if you subscribe, what goodies do you get now? I remember hearing something about them boosting AP/SP rates pretty drastically, and then boosting it again for subscribers, does this make it actually practical to level more than one or two weapons in your lifetime or are you still basically locked into whatever you picked first and screwed if you don't like it?

That was honestly the biggest thing putting me off, the idea of ending up not liking the weapons I pick first and looking at a massive grind or replaying a bunch of the story to change, so if they've made that a little less of an impossible wall this sounds like I'd really enjoy it.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
game still sucks

Either play an actual adventure game if you like stupid puzzles or play Diablo 2 while watching X-Files on Netflix if you like grinding with 'atmosphere'

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

I am the great Cornholio!

boho posted:

game still sucks

Either play an actual adventure game if you like stupid puzzles or play Diablo 2 while watching X-Files on Netflix if you like grinding with 'atmosphere'

Show us on the doll where Deputy Andy touched you.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've only just hit my only real complaint. I'm level 29, in Blue Ridge Mountain, and I just max leveled my blue primary weapon. "Ok", I thought to myself , I need another blue level 25 shotgun to continue leveling this weapon, I think it's finally time to hit the Auction House".

So I go back to Argatha and begin a tedious UI loop - search for weapons > shotguns > sort by price > buy the 10 cheapest > claim the 10 shotguns > empower them into a max level green shotgun. Then do it again for another green shotgun. Then run out of anima shards and start buying the cheapest weapons to then sell to an argatha vendor for shards for empowerment. Then level up the blue shotgun to max.

Then, as I'm sure you all already knew, I try to combine the two max blue shotguns..and I find I can't do that until level 50. It's not so much that I wasted the in-game money to do it, because it's not like I was using it for anything else, it's that I bet the whole process was a tedious hour of clicking and now I realize my shotgun is never going to get any better (since for a while now I've been playing this game to finish Solomon island and then call it quits) - even if it doesn't need to be better to finish, there goes a piece of the skinner box. I wanted to getting stronger, and I bought most of the passives and actives I want already, so now even more of the burden of interest is going to fall on the story and setting.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 29, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The ARG codes go out today, right?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Holy poo poo I had forgotten how painful "The Cost of Magic" was. :cry:

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Not at all?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I've just started Transylvania and am at lvl 50. I've been able to run the game solo so far, but now my shotgun/hammer build has failed me. I started the first action quest you are offered and trying to defend an objective against a mob has seen me die multiple times without any progress. What am I doing wrong? My shotgun is now epic and my head, neck, and belt slots are superior. How am I supposed to solo at lvl 50? Any tips or builds that I should use?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I've just started Transylvania and am at lvl 50. I've been able to run the game solo so far, but now my shotgun/hammer build has failed me. I started the first action quest you are offered and trying to defend an objective against a mob has seen me die multiple times without any progress. What am I doing wrong? My shotgun is now epic and my head, neck, and belt slots are superior. How am I supposed to solo at lvl 50? Any tips or builds that I should use?

Sounds like your gear is better than mine and I do okay. What exactly are your skills?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I don't know specifically but you're using 2 tanking weapons so death shouldn't really be a thing for you. Could just be your gear isn't up to scratch. OR maybe you aren't using the tanking skills.

Without knowing what you have in detail I'd recommend farting about in the burning sands (lots of fast to complete quests) and gathering all the gear bags you can, then get everything to blue or better first.

By way of comparison I played through the main mission to conclusion with chaos/pistols with only 3 purples and the rest were blues. TTK in Transylvania initially seems huge but it goes down as your attack power goes up.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

That defend the tree quest can suck if you aggro all the dudes onto yourself. Stand way back and let the NPCs pick them up then try and take them out one at a time if it's giving you trouble.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Huh. Maybe it's a just a chaos thing because the more enemies I fight at the same time the more I heal and the more everything explodes faster.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Are you using any purges? Or maybe a cleanse if they're dropping effects on you?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

DancingShade posted:

Huh. Maybe it's a just a chaos thing because the more enemies I fight at the same time the more I heal and the more everything explodes faster.

Yeah I'm the same with my pistol/blood DPS build. Doesn't matter what or how much I fight. I always end any fight at or near full health.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I took care of it. it was just the defend the tree quest. all the enemies would head right for me so id be fighting 6 ghouls at once

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I started actually playing this instead of just collecting daily's, and the crashes are getting really annoying. Zapping zombies; Crash. Running Polaris; Crash. Collecting a mission; Crash. I can even just be sitting there mulling over my ability wheel chart and it crashes. Never had these many issues with the old game.

Watching some of the cut scenes again reminds me why I liked this game so much. But I can't believe they still have floating 2d necklaces after all this time. Don't they know they are ruining my 'mersion?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If you were waiting for the AKiss of the Revenant emails, I just got mine. Sorted into the gmail "promotions" tab.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TracerM17 posted:

I started actually playing this instead of just collecting daily's, and the crashes are getting really annoying. Zapping zombies; Crash. Running Polaris; Crash. Collecting a mission; Crash. I can even just be sitting there mulling over my ability wheel chart and it crashes. Never had these many issues with the old game.

Watching some of the cut scenes again reminds me why I liked this game so much. But I can't believe they still have floating 2d necklaces after all this time. Don't they know they are ruining my 'mersion?

Haven't had a single crash though it sure does love to give your video card cooler a workout. How's your hardware going?

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

No kidding... just hanging around in-game makes my after-market cooler sound like an airplane taking off.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I've tried throttling the fans through AMD's control panel, but things still get uncomfortably loud. It makes me panic even though no actual damage is being done.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think SWL doesn't have a frame limiter or something. Can't think of any other reason it would be going that hard.

Who knows? Old spaghetti code engine :v: :shrug:

Also I have to admit a sin. I spent a small amount of REAL MONEY, converted it to some amount of ingame currency and bought an anima-touched chaos thingamajig of havoc. Haven't used it yet since my primary is purple 30 so it's got a long upgrade path ahead of it before I use it.

Dumb yes, but gently caress it. It's BiS for me.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 30, 2017

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Not sure if it's too late now, but I just completed the ARG . Would be nice to carry something that isn't a katana.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

DancingShade posted:

I think SWL doesn't have a frame limiter or something. Can't think of any other reason it would be going that hard.

Who knows? Old spaghetti code engine :v: :shrug:

Also I have to admit a sin. I spent a small amount of REAL MONEY, converted it to some amount of ingame currency and bought an anima-touched chaos thingamajig of havoc. Haven't used it yet since my primary is purple 30 so it's got a long upgrade path ahead of it before I use it.

TSW does NOT have vsync (Frame limiter) so yes your video card will output 120 frames. You need to go to fullscreen (not windowed full screen, do this within options) and then set AMD's frame limiting. I have a nvidia card and had similar problems.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Isn't Borderless Fullscreen always v-synched by design since Windows 8 or so?

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

DancingShade posted:

Haven't had a single crash though it sure does love to give your video card cooler a workout. How's your hardware going?

Hardware seems to be fine, doesn't get pushed too hard. Hardware's a couple years old but should be more than fine for this game, as I said I had no problems with TSW. I don't notice any lag, freezes, audio drops anything like that before it crashes.

I like to run in a windowed display mode, perhaps I'll try full screen or whatever and see if that helps.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

How much do glyphs count towards iscore?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I think socketing a blue lv1 glyph to a purple talisman raised me a few points. Maybe 5? I didn't pay attention as I leveled the glyph, though.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

What IS the formula for the calculation, anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

DancingShade posted:

We've all been guilty of a similar sin. I swore to high Heaven I wasn't going to be buying funbux on SWTOR since they were already nickle and diming me with a sub and drat if I was weak and bought funbux because it came with a free pet. I also admit to breaking a commandment level sin of buying the full bells and whistles edition of Duke Nukem Forever for my fiance that he's barely played.