Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Jack B Nimble posted:

People in AI are always showing up and saying "They're selling X car for only 15k! (when it's some 20k msrp car)" How do people tell this? Is it just incentives, both national and local? Or is it negotiation? Or both?

For example, right now I see there's 4k "cash back" on a Ford Focus Hatchback SE, which (with a manual) has a "build and price" cost of ~18k. So they're really selling them for 14k? Or is that "cash back" some kind of gimmick, like bonus cash they roll into the total you finance.

Basically I don't trust a dealership to tell me what their various incentives mean.

Also the Ford "build and price" tool is telling me I can only choose their (CVT?) automatic, is that true? I would only ever buy a Focus in stick, so if they dropped that from the car ~whelp.

Yeah they stopped doing manuals on the regular focuses the past year or two.

If you don't mind a 2014 or 2015 you can get a manual focus quite cheaply and they are great cars. That was my recent used car purchase, would recommend. I found it very tough to find anything that was a better value assuming you're going to drive it until it dies. The poo poo tier auto transmission really sunk the resale on all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's exactly the conclusion I've come to after looking long and hard at the used economy cars. There are other cars that are arguably better at different things, the iA for interior quality and overall tech, the Fit for cargo space, the Mazda 3 for Fahrvergnügen, but around here the Focuses depreciate a lot - I mean maybe not more than other domestic economy cars, so maybe it's more appropriate to say I like it better than the Impala or whatever the hell Chevy makes nowadays.

Also if I got a used Focus I'd juuust slip in before tabletitis, although god help me after seeing them in every new car for a year or two I've gone from hating it to a tired resignation.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Any good used SUVs out there? Looking into a 4Runner.

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 27, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Woof Blitzer posted:

Any good used SUVs out there? Looking into a 4Runner.

There's lots of good SUVs out there. It all depends on what you consider to be "good" and how much money you have to spend.

The 4Runner is very good off-road and for towing, but rather poor on-road.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Deteriorata posted:

There's lots of good SUVs out there. It all depends on what you consider to be "good" and how much money you have to spend.

The 4Runner is very good off-road and for towing, but rather poor on-road.

Under $10,000, hauling cargo and equipment sometimes off-road but can daily drive as well.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Woof Blitzer posted:

Under $10,000, hauling cargo and equipment sometimes off-road but can daily drive as well.

Start with a 2012/13 Honda CR-V or a Mazda CX-5. For something smaller try a Kia Soul or Nissan Juke, maybe a Jeep Renegade.

Others to look at would be a Subaru Crosstrek, Hyundai Tucson, the Kia Niro or Sportage, Ford Escape or Edge. It's a crowded field, so there's lots of choices.

Spend some time driving a few and get an idea of what you like and don't like.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Deteriorata posted:

Start with a 2012/13 Honda CR-V or a Mazda CX-5.

Are these really under $10k now? I just peeked at blue book and saw a 2013 CRV at $11k trade in value. The absolute cheapest one Carmax has for sale nationally is $14k, and they don't negotiate on price at all.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Twerk from Home posted:

Are these really under $10k now? I just peeked at blue book and saw a 2013 CRV at $11k trade in value. The absolute cheapest one Carmax has for sale nationally is $14k, and they don't negotiate on price at all.

Nope. I think Kia Soul is the cheapest one on that list, but the trim levels you'll be looking at will be quite stripped. Doesn't seem like you care about that though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, you'd have a hard time finding either if those under $10k at all. We would also need to better define "off road". I wouldn't take my CR-V anywhere more involved than a reasonably graded dirt road, where a car is nearly as capable.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

You're right. More like 2009/10 on the CR-Vs to get under 10k. I was a bit sloppy.

I meant more to start with about that model year and work around to see what was available at that price.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to say thanks to the thread. Ended up picking up a 2012 ford escape for kinda cheap.

edit - :cripes:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 28, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Just wanted to say thanks to the thread. Ended up picking up a 2012 for escape for kinda cheap.

For escaping what?!?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

For escaping what?!?

The planet, I hope.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Woof Blitzer posted:

Shortbed quarter ton with a cap.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I just bought a 2014 Nissan Quest after a lot of research and poo poo. What should I be looking at having go first? Also how hard is it to install a back up camera?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Soulex posted:

I just bought a 2014 Nissan Quest after a lot of research and poo poo. What should I be looking at having go first? Also how hard is it to install a back up camera?

It's got a Nissan CVT, so your most likely culprit will be the transmission, but the odds of that are still pretty low. There's no way to know, otherwise. Keep it maintained and enjoy it. Deal with any problems as they happen, and don't worry ahead of time.

Installing a backup camera should be fairly straightforward. Minivans have lots of room and places to stick things. There's some Youtube videos you can watch if you want to.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I am uncertain if this is the best place to post this question, but I'd rather risk making a bad post instead of a bad thread SO:

My 2008 Toyota Prius is on her last legs. I have recently relocated to North Dakota and there's going to be one hell of a winter upcoming and with the repairs she needs, I'm wanting to grab something bigger and with four-wheel drive. My uncle is going to be retiring from Ford soon and when he goes, I'll lose access to a family discount plan, so my parents are somewhat strongly pushing me to take advantage and get a Ford.

I've had some doubts on this because I've heard bad things about Ford cars, particularly that they are costly to repair and not very well-made, and my mom got all huffy and said I was being childish to not take such a good deal. I want to research the matter more but frankly I don't really know who to trust on these google reviews or reccomendation pages so I thought I'd turn to goons for the straight business. I'm pretty clueless about cars and have never purchased one before. So:

Proposed Budget: 30k to 40k (presumably I pay this off over time)
New or Used: New
Body Style: SUV
How will you be using the car?: I will likely be driving long distances and likely over rural roads.
What aspects are most important to you? Fuel efficiency would be nice, but I doubt anything is going to come close to my hybrid. I'm mostly looking for a reliable car that can handle tough roads and long highway drives. A heated steering wheel would be nice because it's going to get cold up here, but I won't hold my breath.

So I guess, my main question is, is the negative reputation that people have told me about Ford cars earned? I've been told that basically a Focus or maybe an Escape would be what I could afford, maybe an Explorer; one of those three would likely be what I'd end up with.

Should I go for the cheap option, or would I be better shopping for a non-discounted, but better made option?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I am uncertain if this is the best place to post this question, but I'd rather risk making a bad post instead of a bad thread SO:

My 2008 Toyota Prius is on her last legs. I have recently relocated to North Dakota and there's going to be one hell of a winter upcoming and with the repairs she needs, I'm wanting to grab something bigger and with four-wheel drive. My uncle is going to be retiring from Ford soon and when he goes, I'll lose access to a family discount plan, so my parents are somewhat strongly pushing me to take advantage and get a Ford.

I've had some doubts on this because I've heard bad things about Ford cars, particularly that they are costly to repair and not very well-made, and my mom got all huffy and said I was being childish to not take such a good deal. I want to research the matter more but frankly I don't really know who to trust on these google reviews or reccomendation pages so I thought I'd turn to goons for the straight business. I'm pretty clueless about cars and have never purchased one before. So:

How will you be using the car?: I will likely be driving long distances and likely over rural roads.
What aspects are most important to you? Fuel efficiency would be nice, but I doubt anything is going to come close to my hybrid. I'm mostly looking for a reliable car that can handle tough roads and long highway drives. A heated steering wheel would be nice because it's going to get cold up here, but I won't hold my breath.

So I guess, my main question is, is the negative reputation that people have told me about Ford cars earned? I've been told that basically a Focus or maybe an Escape would be what I could afford, maybe an Explorer; one of those three would likely be what I'd end up with.

Should I go for the cheap option, or would I be better shopping for a non-discounted, but better made option?

Are you sure the Prius is on its last legs? That's not very old.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Thermopyle beat me to it, but a 9 year old Prius should not be "on it's last legs". Whats wrong with it?

A few comments in no particular order

- The Ford family discount is not that great compared to the deals that can be had on new cars right now. There are major incentives available for most Ford products along with the other domestic brands and even some imports right now. It's not a bad time to buy a new car as far as discounts off MSRP go. I wouldn't be pressured into buying a Ford just because Unc works there. Now I'm a Ford fan and like their vehicles, so I'm pro- Ford, but I recognize when other brands have advanages.

- Ford has had a couple of hiccups in the past, but generally they're pretty well made vehicles. The Focus DCT was a bit of a disaster, but I've purchased 6 new Fords and 1 CPO in the last 10 years and haven't had an issue with any of them. Ford has taken some hits in the 'reliability' surveys due to their infotainment systems though. Generally power trains are pretty solid.

- I'm assuming that MPG is a big factor for you. If it is I would focus on smaller CUV's. Subaru's, Honda CR-V (probably my highest recommendation), Ford Escape, Chevy Equinox. On the higher end a Toyota Highlander might fit the bill.

There's a lot of options out there.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Fords are fine. They're about average in repair costs. What matters most is what you actually like. If you don't actually like the Escape or Eclipse it will be like wearing a bad pair of shoes every day. If you do like them, the savings are a bonus.

Cars in general are made far better than they were even 10 years ago. All cars are going to require some maintenance and repairs and the differences between brands aren't that big anymore. Get what you like and don't worry about it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

skipdogg posted:

Thermopyle beat me to it, but a 9 year old Prius should not be "on it's last legs". Whats wrong with it?

A few comments in no particular order

- The Ford family discount is not that great compared to the deals that can be had on new cars right now. There are major incentives available for most Ford products along with the other domestic brands and even some imports right now. It's not a bad time to buy a new car as far as discounts off MSRP go. I wouldn't be pressured into buying a Ford just because Unc works there. Now I'm a Ford fan and like their vehicles, so I'm pro- Ford, but I recognize when other brands have advanages.

- Ford has had a couple of hiccups in the past, but generally they're pretty well made vehicles. The Focus DCT was a bit of a disaster, but I've purchased 6 new Fords and 1 CPO in the last 10 years and haven't had an issue with any of them. Ford has taken some hits in the 'reliability' surveys due to their infotainment systems though. Generally power trains are pretty solid.

- I'm assuming that MPG is a big factor for you. If it is I would focus on smaller CUV's. Subaru's, Honda CR-V (probably my highest recommendation), Ford Escape, Chevy Equinox. On the higher end a Toyota Highlander might fit the bill.

There's a lot of options out there.

If I understand the Ford plans correctly the A and Z plans for current employees and families and retirees(but not retiree families, which is what OP is getting at) are actually quite good, i.e. hundreds below invoice, and you can stack all other mfg incentives on top of it. You can get close with other deals but generally won't beat them. The dealer would have to be selling at a substantial loss if you did.

The cheapest Ford vehicel you can get with AWD and a heated steering wheel is an Escape Titanium which will lists for ~$30k so invoice will be what $26k? I wouldn't worry too much about reliability ona new car because new cars have warranties, and the Escape is a pretty reliable model anyway, but if you are absolutely set on a heated steering wheel then you only get those on the top trims, and you never get your money spent on options and higher trims back at resale, so it's not the most financially prudent way to go. If you can forego the heated wheel you can probably save yourslef a couple thousand bucks over the life of the car.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Thermopyle posted:

Are you sure the Prius is on its last legs? That's not very old.

Yeah but I've put about 70,000 miles into her in the past two and a half years, her bumper drags and the combo meter needs replacing, which is close to a grand and requires a special order. She doesn't have four-wheel drive either, which is going to be brutal come winter.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

skipdogg posted:

I'm curious, what great deals on new cars were you referring to? If there's a better option at present, I'd like to know about it. Otherwise, I'll probably go with an Escape then.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for a cheap-ish truck to haul equipment around that's too big for my fiesta, go camping in, and also be a truck because I like trucks and haven't had one in quite a while. I'm not sure what to look for and what to avoid as far as models and engines though.
  • Budget: around $4000
  • How will it be used? Beater in the winter, hauling stuff for the house, hauling camera and lighting equipment for work (needs to be out of the weather, but it'd be nice if it was in a separate compartment like a cargo van or pickup with a topper or tonneau cover)
  • Hauling equipment on messed up roads
  • Decent ground clearance and ideally 4wd. I've driven these roads with a 98 suburban and it did fine, but it was a bitch to maneuver at times due to the length. Most of the time 2wd is fine but I'd like 4wd for fun.
  • If it's a pickup, I'd prefer an extended cab as I feel like single cabs are kinda uncomfortable
  • Don't mind if it needs maintenance, I'm expecting that at this price, but would like to find something known to be relatively reliable with higher mileage.

The only vehicle of this style I feel knowledgeable enough about to get a the right thing would be an XJ and they're really hard to find around here not totally rusted out, and like I mentioned a separate cargo area would be ideal. It seems like there are a lot of full size pickups that'd fit the bill, but I just have no idea what to look for and avoid. I like smaller trucks like Tacomas but they have a huge price premium here. Rangers seem like a plausible option but they seem to cost the same as a larger vehicle in my market and I'm not sure if that makes sense.

The sum total of my knowledge of trucks that aren't the Jeep Cherokee:
  • Some Chevy pickups had problems with frames rusting near the steering box
  • Some Toyota trucks had frame rust issues
  • Some Ford diesels had lots of problems
  • Diesels in general are way expensive to maintain even if they can last forever
  • For some reason I've written off in my head S10s and all Dodge trucks but I don't know if there's any good reason for that
  • Plow trucks are probably hosed up

And with that I'm looking at Rangers from '98 on, F150s and F250s from basically forever, Toyota and Nissan small pickups (not tundras or titans), and even though I'd like more of a pickup keeping my eye out for a nice 98/99 XJ cause I love em.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah but I've put about 70,000 miles into her in the past two and a half years, her bumper drags and the combo meter needs replacing, which is close to a grand and requires a special order. She doesn't have four-wheel drive either, which is going to be brutal come winter.

If you want to get a new car, get a new car. But your car isn't really on its last legs. Priuses can run for tons of miles and the prices for the combo meter replacement (parts+labor) I'm seeing online are not that close to a grand.

AWD+your low cost repair is a pretty weak practical justification for getting a new car, when your current car is a Toyota which is less than 10 years old and has no major issues. Just say that you are tired of your old car and want a new one, but don't fool yourself into thinking that what you are doing is the low cost option.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 29, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I am almost never convinced about anyone's need for four wheel drive. You plan to put snow tires on the car?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This is not "last legs" and you need a set of snow tires.

If you hate it (and I wouldn't blame you for that) then own up that you actually want a new car because of that. But you're still going to need a set of snow tires for whatever you buy.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Budget: $10k. I could probably do more if that's really needed.
Used
Body Style: Truck
Use: pulling a horse trailer, hay, wood shavings.
Aspects most important to me: Good in snow. Low cost maintenance. This isn't a daily driver and probably won't ever be. It's going to be parked outside if that makes a difference.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

What kind of horse trailer/how big and how far are you typically pulling (i.e. locally vs. "I ride in the southeast dressage circuit every yer")?

This is the part where I figure out whether you actually need a dually or not.

whodatwhere
Aug 24, 2013

Proposed Budget: <10k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: SUV or hatchback
How will you be using the car?: I currently drive a 03 toyota tacoma but will be moving towards the end of the year and will have a significantly longer commute ~30mi, so I'm looking to get something more comfortable and with better economy. Also, having lived its whole life in the NE my poor toyota is rusting away before my eyes :smithicide:. I would like to get a SUV because I do a lot of biking/hiking/etc but I am also sort of considering going the other direction and getting something somewhat sporty(or a sort of mix-mazda3 type vehicle). What I've been looking at so far: Subaru Forester/Impreza, Volvo V50, Mazda3 HB - For all of these, to be within my budget are around 2008-2012. Any major vehicles I should avoid? Suggestions? Thanks

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Toyota Matrix / Pontiac vibe should be well down in your price range, meet your requirements, and are indestructible. You can also get a good deal on a newer Ford Focus hatch which is quite a decent drive. Also check out used Honda CR-V although they hold their value ridiculously well.

You can also do forester XT which is a WRX drivetrain in a forester body.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Motronic posted:

What kind of horse trailer/how big and how far are you typically pulling (i.e. locally vs. "I ride in the southeast dressage circuit every yer")?

This is the part where I figure out whether you actually need a dually or not.

2 horses, no dressing room. Should be around 6500 with horses. Mostly local, maybe the next state over. Our area is decently hilly if that makes a difference.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

Motronic posted:

This is not "last legs" and you need a set of snow tires.

If you hate it (and I wouldn't blame you for that) then own up that you actually want a new car because of that. But you're still going to need a set of snow tires for whatever you buy.

Not the original poster, but living in Manitoba, I see about a billion Prius taxis running around just fine in the winter. I wouldn't want one myself because I love ground clearance, but they seem to run forever even in the frigid wasteland.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

FWD is fine on anything but completely untouched roads. Even better if you have snow tires, but I can't afford those and the only time I've ever had to get out and dig in 20 years was untouched parking lots.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

You don't "need" awd in snow, especially in flat areas. If you're driving on plowed roads all day you don't even really need snow tires, even in Colorado or Buffalo or wherever else you think the winters are OMG SO BRUTAL

It is quite amusing seeing all the recent transplants to Colorado who immediately buy some humongous Jeep or 4 Runner or whatever because they think that's what they "need". Pretty easy to spot those tourists.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrainParasite posted:

2 horses, no dressing room. Should be around 6500 with horses. Mostly local, maybe the next state over. Our area is decently hilly if that makes a difference.

6500 lbs is pretty do-able in a newer 1/2 ton 4x4 with a larger-than-base motor option. Depending on your local market you can probably find an F150 with a 5.4l or a Chevy 1500 with a 5.3 or 6l. 4x4 is definitely a premium you'll be paying for, but if you want it to be good in the snow and don't have a skid steer to fill the bed with parking blocks/snow/whatever whenever it snows a 2 wheel drive pickup is gonna suck bad.

If you're willing to go older with fewer creature comforts you can reach back to 1997 or so and find a F250/350 with the 7.3L diesel. There's nothing exciting about those except that they just keep on running and pull very well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Every few years my cousin buys an Expedition or Suburban or Super Duty diesel that are pretty high mileage...like over 150,000. I know diesels last, but the SUVs are usually just gas V8s.

He says his thoughts on the matter are that by that mileage big ticket repair items have already been done and he can probably get 50 to 70 thousand more on them without major transmission or engine work.

Any validity to that thought process?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Every few years my cousin buys an Expedition or Suburban or Super Duty diesel that are pretty high mileage...like over 150,000. I know diesels last, but the SUVs are usually just gas V8s.

He says his thoughts on the matter are that by that mileage big ticket repair items have already been done and he can probably get 50 to 70 thousand more on them without major transmission or engine work.

Any validity to that thought process?

All that really matters when buying high mileage is the service history. If he knows how to inspect these vehicles (either himself or has a trusted mechanic) he's probably doing okay, but you are unlikely to get comprehensive maintenance records from a seller on some domestic SUV or pickup.

High mileage doesn't bother me one bit. General condition, rust and deferred maintenance however......

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I'm looking for a work truck. I'd like to spend 30k or so. Diesel 4x4 service body hopefully. Would a mechanic's truck be shot to pieces? Can newer diesels run on fry oil? Do bigger frames last longer? How big of a truck can I drive without a cdl? How much could I expect to pay for an outfitted rig?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whodatwhere
Aug 24, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Toyota Matrix / Pontiac vibe should be well down in your price range, meet your requirements, and are indestructible. You can also get a good deal on a newer Ford Focus hatch which is quite a decent drive. Also check out used Honda CR-V although they hold their value ridiculously well.

You can also do forester XT which is a WRX drivetrain in a forester body.

Thanks, hadn't really looked at the matrix, added to the list of potentials.