Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PT6A posted:

Yeah, that's what people forget about the fall of the Roman empire. The empire itself no longer existed, but its legacy didn't evaporate. Also, recent scholarship has shown that, in large parts, the Dark Ages (early medieval period) weren't so much terrible as just not as well documented due to various historical and geographical features, which probably would not occur today even if the US fractured and lost global hegemony.

I'm pretty sure what they actually meant was that the empire continued to exist in the east for another thousand years, rather than the more involved point that western Europe wasn't as much of a shithole as popular culture would have you believe in the early middle ages

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I can only assume he has no choice but to sign it or he would veto it. Guess even he isn't stupid enough to get himself overridden by his own party

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

actually, rome fell in 1918

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Amazing that trump was involved in heavy negotiation of a piece of legislation and we didn't hear a peep about it until now

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

QuoProQuid posted:

actually, rome fell in 1918

I think you'll find that, since Russia was the successor state to Rome, it fell in 1917

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

He's GOING to sign it, but he hasn't yet. Which means he'll probably ignore it until hopefully everyone forgets about it and quietly pocket veto it.

And then tweet that he did it because he's a goddamned moron.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

TremorX posted:

He's GOING to sign it, but he hasn't yet. Which means he'll probably ignore it until hopefully everyone forgets about it and quietly pocket veto it.

It would become law if he did, unless they're out of session.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rime posted:

As a roman history buff, watching the USA for the past couple of years has been the best thing ever. The question now is whether technology will accelerate the decline of empire, so that we don't waffle in and out of Trump-types for the next century, or if it will prop the system up and allow it to stagger along and never truly collapse.

You should bone up on your American history. Trump is currently just running an accelerated greatest hits compilation of our worst presidents. If he wasn't such a coward and wasn't a pariah amongst his own party he'd probably be hanging pretty close to the Presidency of his idol Andrew Jackson right now.

poo poo, Jackson shitcanned his entire cabinet because his secretary of war married a lady who offended the sensibilities of the wives of the rest of the cabinet and it became a huge scandal. Also, Trump ain't got poo poo on Jackson's petty grudges.

I like that nobody on the goddamn planet believes this release but everyone will just nod along anyway and let the baby pretend he wanted to go to bed after eating his broccoli the whole time.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

cheetah7071 posted:

I think you'll find that, since Russia was the successor state to Rome, it fell in 1917

WELL, im sure you'll find that rome never fell and only reconstituted itself as the roman catholic church

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

QuoProQuid posted:

WELL, im sure you'll find that rome never fell and only reconstituted itself as the roman catholic church

The Roman Catholic church abdicated claims to be the Roman empire when it named a holy roman emperor

Rome fell in 1806

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

TremorX posted:

hoply loving poo poo, this same goddamn post comes up every three pages

the president c annot pocket veto anything unless congress has adjourned

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 29, 2017

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

nachos posted:

Amazing that trump was involved in heavy negotiation of a piece of legislation and we didn't hear a peep about it until now

Have they told him it's about Russian sanctions?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TremorX posted:

You can't pocket veto unless congress lets you. Though I have no doubt Trump is going to gently caress up the attempt just like LePage did.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Trump is gonna blurt out how much he hates the bill because he has to be nice to Russia during the signing ceremony

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

empty whippet box posted:

I can only assume he has no choice but to sign it or he would veto it. Guess even he isn't stupid enough to get himself overridden by his own party

Or the sanctions are so minor his Russian handlers have told him to sign it to keep up appearances of independence

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Gyges posted:

You can't pocket veto unless congress lets you. Though I have no doubt Trump is going to gently caress up the attempt just like LePage did.

For reference, because it's funny as gently caress:

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/08/06/maines-high-court-spurns-lepage-in-veto-dispute/

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm pretty sure what they actually meant was that the empire continued to exist in the east for another thousand years, rather than the more involved point that western Europe wasn't as much of a shithole as popular culture would have you believe in the early middle ages

Yes, probably. However, both interpretations are valid and non-apocalyptic, so it's all good. Even a worst-case collapse scenario, short of actual nuclear war or something, is really still not going to be devastating.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Maybe it'll dribble out in short clips.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

cheetah7071 posted:

The Roman Catholic church abdicated claims to be the Roman empire when it named a holy roman emperor

Rome fell in 1806

it's become a cliche, but the holy roman empire was neither holy, roman, nor an empire

If you read closely, you will see that Rome fell in 27 BC after the Republic fell to monarchical impulses.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 29, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Azhais posted:

Or the sanctions are so minor his Russian handlers have told him to sign it to keep up appearances of independence

More likely 75 Russians drank themselves to death in despair trying to come up with a way to explain the veto to Trump in the day or so since the Senate passed the bill, and the FSB has just given up.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

empty whippet box posted:

His only options are signing it and looking really loving pathetic, or vetoing it and looking even more loving pathetic.

If he just ignores the bill and doesn't sign it, it becomes law in 10 days by default. The exception is if Congress would not be there to receive the signed bill back, in which case it does not become law. (pocket veto) Congress went to recess before the bill was signed...

Am I misreading something, or would doing nothing at all actually let Trump off the hook despite the almost unanimous support for the bill, leaving free to lift sanctions at Putin's command?

EDIT: Ahh, looks like recess only counts as adjournment if they say so. And they didn't. I get it now.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 29, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Azhais posted:

They're actually really loving harsh and important sanctions, which is why Russia is so pissed.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Rome actually fell when they kicked out the Tarquins

EDIT: There never was a Roman Empire, it was just the Trojan Empire :hist101:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Robot Hobo posted:

His only options are signing it and looking really loving pathetic, or vetoing it and looking even more loving pathetic.

If he just ignores the bill and doesn't sign it, it becomes law in 10 days by default. The exception is if Congress would not be there to receive the signed bill back, in which case it does not become law. (pocket veto) Congress went to recess before the bill was signed...

Am I misreading something, or would doing nothing at all actually let Trump off the hook despite the almost unanimous support for the bill, leaving free to lift sanctions at Putin's command?

Congress has a very wide mandate to declare when it is and isn't in session. They chose to define it as "somebody is in the office to pick up paperwork". They are leaving someone in the office this recess

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

No, you guys, this is Trump, where his version of a pocket veto is "as long as I keep the original copy of it in my pocket it's vetoed"

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

cheetah7071 posted:

Congress has a very wide mandate to declare when it is and isn't in session. They chose to define it as "somebody is in the office to pick up paperwork". They are leaving someone in the office this recess

Ahh, thank you. I kept looking around online, and half the sources seemed to think that "recess" counts as adjournment, and half seemed to think it does not count. But if the answer is "It counts only if they say so," then that makes sense.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Robot Hobo posted:

I think you deleted some words here, but I swear he'd be best just not signing it, firing Sessions in the interim, letting that narrative drown out the Russia Bill narrative, and the Trump Train continues to fly off the rails.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Trump has very large pockets, you see. The largest pockets.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Rome actually fell 9 months after it harvested Silphium into extinction.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Debating the fall of the Roman Empire is like debating speciation. Everyone's staring at phenotypes and geographic isolation, but modern genetics are just going to overturn everything.

Wait, no, that metaphor got really racist.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sweeper posted:

The wording here makes it seem like they are desperate for trump to not look like a complete loser

:lol: I thought the exact same thing when I read it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Gyges posted:

You should bone up on your American history. Trump is currently just running an accelerated greatest hits compilation of our worst presidents. If he wasn't such a coward and wasn't a pariah amongst his own party he'd probably be hanging pretty close to the Presidency of his idol Andrew Jackson right now.

poo poo, Jackson shitcanned his entire cabinet because his secretary of war married a lady who offended the sensibilities of the wives of the rest of the cabinet and it became a huge scandal. Also, Trump ain't got poo poo on Jackson's petty grudges.

I like that nobody on the goddamn planet believes this release but everyone will just nod along anyway and let the baby pretend he wanted to go to bed after eating his broccoli the whole time.

this. he is gonna poo poo on it tomorrow and refuse to sign it or something.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/891048154560385025

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

cheetah7071 posted:

I look forward to living in the glorious Byzantine west coast

Nah, all you east coasters can eat turnips and hunt witches or whatever.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

axeil posted:

HOLY loving poo poo

Flavahbeast IS GETTING AN AV CERT

ty

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

MickeyFinn posted:

i live in seattle

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MickeyFinn posted:

Here in Florida the only change would be suddenly having to eat turnips.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
This is a good article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

cheetah7071 posted:

i live in seattle

I think you'll find that since you're not a rugged individual from the mountains of Montana that your really live in the Pacific Northwest of the East Coast.

• Locked thread