Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Barbatos goes Super Orphan Level Fourrrrrrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
What are those eye effect parts from, anyway?

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I made them to sell, partly so I can eventually afford to make prototypes of some bigger projects (like the dainsleif, and what I ominously call Project 066)

Xy Hapu fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 17, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

You're a madman

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Yeah? I've been seeing them around, so I guess there's a demand for them. Cool work.

And, uh, the other thing. Yeah, I bet that would spark some attention to say the least, but it might draw Bandai's as well and do keep in mind that we're not beyond the reach of their lawyers here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
About to start work on the MG Turn A, and I'm confronted with an unfamiliar kind of decal sheet. How do you apply these ones?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

About to start work on the MG Turn A, and I'm confronted with an unfamiliar kind of decal sheet. How do you apply these ones?

If they're not waterslides or stickers then they're likely Dry Transfer.

They're not as good as waterslides, and can look faded compared to stickers, but they'll stay on just fine and won't look awful.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Yup, the MG Turn A has dry transfers. If you've never used them, please be aware that you should always keep them on the paper sheet they come with until you're ready to apply them, as they can rub off on things accidentally if you leave them on their own.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Vallejo is releasing a new line of paints specifically for Gunpla/Mechs that's supposed to be significantly more resistant to scratches. I'm interested to see how this turns out, since I really like how Model Air sprays and the variety of colors it has, but it's really vulnerable to scratching even when clearcoated.

Oh, FINALLY. I remember seeing the mecha colors labels on bottles maybe a year or two ago and was wondering when they'd come out. Time to buy another nail polish rack!

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Guy Goodbody posted:

Guys, Hyper Gyanko

I'm surprised we didn't get the Chinagguys before now.

Now make the Aila/Ms. Sazabi cosplay kit.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Vallejo is releasing a new line of paints specifically for Gunpla/Mechs that's supposed to be significantly more resistant to scratches. I'm interested to see how this turns out, since I really like how Model Air sprays and the variety of colors it has, but it's really vulnerable to scratching even when clearcoated.

thank god. I'm a vallejo convert but man the scratches on their paint can be brutal sometimes.

Although that's what you expect with with Acrylic paints, I guess.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Any indication when the Vallejo Mecha line is supposed to release?

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Bimmi posted:

And, uh, the other thing. Yeah, I bet that would spark some attention to say the least, but it might draw Bandai's as well and do keep in mind that we're not beyond the reach of their lawyers here.

Noted! Not to worry though, I have the best legal minds China has to offer on retainer and they assure me that I am untouchable as long as I call it 'Ganderam Wind Spinner Fighting Robot'

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Xy Hapu posted:

Noted! Not to worry though, I have the best legal minds China has to offer on retainer and they assure me that I am untouchable as long as I call it 'Ganderam Wind Spinner Fighting Robot'

I mean, if third parties can get away with popular designs like the Deathscythe, I think you're in the clear for "the gundam who wins by hiding the entire tourney as a windmill"

Also I want a katoki redesign of him.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Holy poo poo.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neurolimal posted:

Also I want a katoki redesign of him.

I want Katoki to move on to other things, and let Ippei Gyoubu take over redesigning all the Gundams

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't know how to feel about katoki. So e of his original designs are great, while some of his redesigns are not. I really don't like his redo of the og Gundam for example.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Darth Walrus posted:

All but one of those are entirely optional to the point where there is no decal guide in the book, so don't stress too much.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 356 days!
are katoki designs just "double/triple up on decals and make a few lines go in opposite directions from their og design"? that's the nearest I can tell with most of the ver ka designs anyway :shrug:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't know what it is about his RX-78-2 redesign, but it looks like somebody squashed its proportions somewhat and gave it an angry, yet tiny face

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I still like katoki but I want to see kawamori redesign some gundams.

Like, whole hog, just do them up with things like his favorite three to foot designs and weird lights and cameras everywhere.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Neurolimal posted:

I mean, if third parties can get away with popular designs like the Deathscythe, I think you're in the clear for "the gundam who wins by hiding the entire tourney as a windmill"

Again, those guys are in China, and even they get sued occasionally (though I think the outcome there is generally along the lines of "lol whatever we're soooo scared")

Given that we actually follow copyright laws in the US, failing to comply with that c&d will land your rear end in court, which would be a lovely outcome for all that effort. I don't know how litigious Bandai actually is (as opposed to Toho, who will chew out your rear end in a top hat and sell it back to you at a markup) but I'd be disinclined to find out directly.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I'm mostly not worried since I don't think it's even a viable product, I doubt I'd ever be able to sell more than two or three. A relevant data point is my brother's Leo conversion kit, it's been out for several years now and it's vastly more in demand than a nether gundam will ever be, and he's only broken even on it in the last few months. He's even made most of the space parts for it, but can't be arsed to spend an hour to finish it up because ultimately it's such a losing proposition.

My motivation for making this is in large part to execute a stupendously pointless and time-consuming gag - the idea of a next-generation, possibly first ever designed-for-3D-printing gunpla, with articulation surpassing anything Bandai has ever produced . . . and it is a blocky, horrid windmill.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I can respect that.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Now wait a minute. The Nether Gundam is great.

First off, it's the only Gundam with a wrap around porch,

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Rest assured, that fact has not been lost on me - the porch is planned to be a separate part that will be specially printed in a finer 29 micron process to maximize the fidelity and detail of the individual railings and supports.

The fact that I can say the above with complete seriousness is the type of thing that makes all of this worth it.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Anyone looking to buy anything off Banzai Hobby they have a free custom parts on all MG kits and HG, with 28% off HG's as well until the 31st.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

That Gobbo posted:

Any indication when the Vallejo Mecha line is supposed to release?

None yet, but you can see the colors in the line if you search for Mecha Color on stevenshobby.com's product listing page.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

tenderjerk posted:

are katoki designs just "double/triple up on decals and make a few lines go in opposite directions from their og design"? that's the nearest I can tell with most of the ver ka designs anyway :shrug:

If you really want a description of his stuff in a single phrase, I'd go with "made to look as visually impressive in a standard pose as possible while also trying to keep things simple for the model (though all bets are off if it's a vKa and he feels like pushing the envelope)".

There are lots of things associated with him (decal spam, panel lines, long legs, small heads, transformations, excess equipment, chest fins, etc) but that's mostly because he's been around for so long.

Early Katoki:

Katoki in an actually animated Gundam series:

Katoki once GFF and Unicorn took off and he had a quota to meet:

Katoki once vKa became more of a yearly thing:

Katoki on the exact same design when he's not trying to spice it up:

That last bit is pretty important: Katoki has two very different styles of redesign, basic clean-up and full on overhaul. Most of the complaints you hear about the guy are from the latter.

If you want someone you could actually describe 95% of their work with just one phrase though, Kondo is right there.

S K I R T A R M O R

EDIT: Also before anyone asks, I'm not too hot on Katoki's take on the Gundam X. Too much blue.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 29, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That goes from skirt armor into full on battle smock territory.

Non Gundam model question. I've noticed a lot of Bandai star wars models in my hobby shop lately. How well articulated is the at-st model, if anyone knows? Also gas Bandai ever done mechanical designs from bebop like the swordfish?

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
The AT-ST kit is fairly well articulated with the legs, head, and side guns. The Star Wars Bandai kits are great and have so much detail on them it surprised me.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The Swordfish and Red Tail got EX Model releases, which to my surprise are currently available, but they're not particularly cheap:

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Cowboy-Action-Figure/dp/B0012HJDBM

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby...VKN0J217567MCTJ

BlitzBlast posted:

Katoki once GFF and Unicorn took off and he had a quota to meet:

I really wish they'd followed this look for the RE/100 instead of... what we got (which I bought anyway, 'cause I dum)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Personally, when I think modern Katoki/V.Ka I mainly just think standardized but still unique designs that fit well together and are well designed WRT detail and little touches. It's easy to say 'whats the big deal' if you see a bunch of his redesigns at once, but If you were to also put the original designs up against each other then it would be pretty clear to see that the Katoki lineup manages to look like part of the same universe, while the OG's jump wildly between 80-90-00 styles.

Thats not to say the OG designs suck, of course. Although there are cases where they're best off being redesigned to uh, actually have practical articulation and stability (ZZ Top Gundam)

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 29, 2017

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Katoki has an innate (and obviously highly trained) sense of how 3D forms work that has been evident from the very start of his career. That more than anything is what got him the everlasting gig at Bandai, I think.

I don't love everything he does, but his designs are not always well-served by the kitmakers, either.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

That Gobbo posted:

The AT-ST kit is fairly well articulated with the legs, head, and side guns. The Star Wars Bandai kits are great and have so much detail on them it surprised me.

I've started picking these up. Most of these seem to be a LOT simpler than even an HG model (A-Wing and Tie Advanced X-1 are two I built recently). I picked up the special edition double pack of the X-Wings and it was full of a ton of parts (and twice as many stickers).

They're different from Gundams (much less articulation), but they're fun to build. And they come with base stands that are designed to hook together.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well to be fair I don't see articulation being that important on starfighters. Just give me working S-foils, and if I'm lucky directional rudders on the A-Wing and that's really all I need.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So today I opened one of the Sprukits boxes for the first time, and, uh...

This is 100% gonna need paint, christ. (I mean it was anyway since I was thinking of trying kitbashing experiments, but I expected something that had actual hues.) I suppose my question in thinking of this is should I be priming pieces:

a) as the sheet like this, since I'm used to spray-on primer from old pewter miniatures?
b) as I snip each piece off?
c) when it's in limb form but not fully constructed?
d) when it's together in whatever monster I make and THEN paint?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

So today I opened one of the Sprukits boxes for the first time, and, uh...

This is 100% gonna need paint, christ. (I mean it was anyway since I was thinking of trying kitbashing experiments, but I expected something that had actual hues.) I suppose my question in thinking of this is should I be priming pieces:

a) as the sheet like this, since I'm used to spray-on primer from old pewter miniatures?
b) as I snip each piece off?
c) when it's in limb form but not fully constructed?
d) when it's together in whatever monster I make and THEN paint?

Ideally you should snip them all off, test-fit them to figure out what needs glue (you can use an x-acto to cut snap fit pegs and widen holes to make it easier to disassemble), then break the kit down to monocolor assemblies without any joints/movement and prime/color those.

Priming and painting on-sprue is generally a bad idea because once you snip them off you'll have giant glaring plastic-colored splotches where the gates were. Also why people are leary of metal-finish gundam kits.

Also yeah, most of the Sprukits have pretty minimal color separation due to being a "babby's first kit" kind of idea. The most damning cases of this are their human figures which usually have a flesh colored face with no detail, and the superhero kits which just use a single sticker on raised elements for their symbols.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well to be fair I don't see articulation being that important on starfighters. Just give me working S-foils, and if I'm lucky directional rudders on the A-Wing and that's really all I need.

A Wings don't have directional rudders. The X-Wings do have working S foils, and really easy to break off shooter things on the s-foils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Neurolimal posted:

The most damning cases of this are their human figures which usually have a flesh colored face with no detail, and the superhero kits which just use a single sticker on raised elements for their symbols.

Ah, of course. All of the ones I bought that aren't $2 TMNT figures. This is gonna be fun.