Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah I did a few of the water ones but only the really remote stuff, based on the assumption it would be worth the trip. Mixed results.
It's really funny how the crossbow is insanely powerful underwater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the Skellige ?s really feel like someone was tasked with filling up all the empty sea parts and had no idea what to put in them lol

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

P-Mack posted:

I kinda like missing things in games. Makes the world feel larger.

Lends itself better to replays as well.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

my new video card arrived today and the first thing I'm going to do after installing it is play The Witcher 3

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

extremely steampunk posted:

my new video card arrived today and the first thing I'm going to do after installing it is play The Witcher 3

Enjoy, friend

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anything underwater in this game is just so tedious.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm actually jealous of all these people discovering Witcher 3 and the dlc for the first time. That was me once....

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I still havent played witcher 3. Im going to play it after Ive beaten 1 & 2 and upload the save

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Control Volume posted:

I still havent played witcher 3. Im going to play it after Ive beaten 1 & 2 and upload the save

i would skip them. heard nothing but bad things about 1, 2 needs 5 mods to be playable and there are like 4 lines in 3 that refer to witcher 2 at all

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im not going to skip them. Im going to learn the lore.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

IMO it's almost more fun to just walk up to someone and they say something like "Geralt! You swine! If it weren't for your meddling, I'd be Queen of the Witches" and then, ten minutes later, you are loving the person.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Playing Witcher 3 without the context is kind of like pulling a detective novel off the shelf and it has a bunch of references to the past you only sort of get. That's good to me.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

do the saves from witcher 1 carry over into witcher 2 like the saves from witcher 2 carry over into wticher 3

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

yes

you even get to keep your legendary armour and swords from witcher 1

though they're immediately outclassed by some rusty poo poo you pick off a bandit's corpse lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

1 is fun and has some really surreal bits due to the low budget and janky nature. The best part is when you go to a party with Zoltan, Dandelion and Shani and you're all reminiscing about the past. It's supposed to be a special heartwarming chillout scene because Geralt has amnesia and this is the first time he's had the chance to settle down with friends and have a drink since he came back from the dead. Instead it's a nightmarish David Lynch situatiuon where ominous music keeps playing for no reason, everyone stands around with bulging eyes not talking to each other, Dandelion sings a song badly while the background music keeps playing and nobody acknowledges him, Shani's grandmother has a fixed 50% chance of throwing you out of the house every time you go downstairs because they forgot to turn that script off for the party scene, and Zoltan rumbles around roaring "PICKLES, GERRLT, WE HUV TAE GET SOME PIIIICKLES AND BREAAAAD" while the screen swims in and out of vision

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

1 is fun and has some really surreal bits due to the low budget and janky nature. The best part is when you go to a party with Zoltan, Dandelion and Shani and you're all reminiscing about the past. It's supposed to be a special heartwarming chillout scene because Geralt has amnesia and this is the first time he's had the chance to settle down with friends and have a drink since he came back from the dead. Instead it's a nightmarish David Lynch situatiuon where ominous music keeps playing for no reason, everyone stands around with bulging eyes not talking to each other, Dandelion sings a song badly while the background music keeps playing and nobody acknowledges him, Shani's grandmother has a fixed 50% chance of throwing you out of the house every time you go downstairs because they forgot to turn that script off for the party scene, and Zoltan rumbles around roaring "PICKLES, GERRLT, WE HUV TAE GET SOME PIIIICKLES AND BREAAAAD" while the screen swims in and out of vision

That's actually just how people party in Poland.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Instead of bringing zoltan I brought a hooker and shani was incredibly upset. Then she immediately forgot about it and had sex with geralt.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also its possible to permanently keep the old lady from kicking you out when she acts like its her birthday and tells you she wants golden gloves. I eventually bought them because I got kicked out of the house 20 times in a row once

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Also its possible to permanently keep the old lady from kicking you out when she acts like its her birthday and tells you she wants golden gloves. I eventually bought them because I got kicked out of the house 20 times in a row once

lmao

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Larry Parrish posted:

Anything underwater in this game is just so tedious.

its like the gaming equivalent of asking whats the deal with airline food but in all seriousness what game has cool underwater sections? even in games where they're tolerable like mario 64 and bayonetta they're still arguably some of the weakest points.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Bicyclops posted:

IMO it's almost more fun to just walk up to someone and they say something like "Geralt! You swine! If it weren't for your meddling, I'd be Queen of the Witches" and then, ten minutes later, you are loving the person.

lol this is true . i feel like they did a very intentional good job in W3 of creating suspense related to events that occurred in the books/previous games for people who aren't familiar with them. it's written in a way that is extremely friendly to series newcomers

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

goferchan posted:

its like the gaming equivalent of asking whats the deal with airline food but in all seriousness what game has cool underwater sections? even in games where they're tolerable like mario 64 and bayonetta they're still arguably some of the weakest points.

The Thunderball-style scuba combat level in Call of Duty: Ghosts was the best one

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i think the main problem with the swimming is that it's insanely slow and geralt conrols like a submarine and then they put a pretty restrictive timer on how long you can slowly drift around

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

I've enjoyed a lot of Metroid Underwater levels, especially because they have you traverse them with and without the Gravity Suit equivalent, and on the return trip you feel like goku with the training weights falling off

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

goferchan posted:

lol this is true . i feel like they did a very intentional good job in W3 of creating suspense related to events that occurred in the books/previous games for people who aren't familiar with them. it's written in a way that is extremely friendly to series newcomers

Yeah, they somehow managed to tie up plot threads and characters from five books and two games but in a way that seemed really smooth (no "well, as you know, Geralt...") and easy to get into without any prior knowledge of the series.

I still want to replay the game now that I've actually read the books and see how many references I just completely missed because they seemed so natural.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Control Volume posted:

I did that but she forgot

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

goferchan posted:

Mechwarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

i like underwater cause it makes my crossbow feel useful

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

if you played witcher 1, returning to kaer morhen in 3 is an intense feel

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I finally did it. I beat the main quest.

on to dlc :cool:

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I bet cyberpunk is gonna be great

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

should I help this rune making dude or nah

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Yes but he is a massive money sink, so only if you're planning to spend

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Yes but he is a massive money sink, so only if you're planning to spend

in the end you wont have much else to spend on

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'd ignore the rune guy because his mods aren't that useful and save your cash for grandmaster witcher sets in B&W.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

beat B&W, practically half another witcher game itself. fantastic finale, a lot of poo poo to do in the new huge overworld, new enemies everywhere, basically every ? or interesting looking spot on the map is worth hitting up.

shame that im really done with the game now, w/ almost 200 hours in it i definitely got my money's worth. cd projekt's cyberpunk game is gonna rule

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

BBJoey posted:

if you played witcher 1, returning to kaer morhen in 3 is an intense feel

Yeah, same with after reading the books (mainly the first ones in the saga) where Geralt and co. spend a winter there. Then in TW3 when they all make the hard decision to leave it for good, after Uncle Vesemir died. :( That was a huge bittersweet part of the game, with Geralt and the others having a great time talking poo poo, messing around with Vesemir's old hat, then seeing him (and potentially Lambert) be killed right after.

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

Definitely! Can't wait for it - I really hope they pull it off.

Palpek posted:

I'd ignore the rune guy because his mods aren't that useful and save your cash for grandmaster witcher sets in B&W.

Yeah, this is absolutely correct; I don't think it's worth it really, unless you've got spare time and a lot of cash. Definitely prioritize the grandmaster equipment sets, if anything.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Griffin set ftw btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I've been wearing the master craft bear set

its beary good

• Locked thread