Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

RBC posted:

the waltons are collectively worth far more

$139 billion for those wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

oliveoil posted:

Why raise the cap on people who work for a living? Raise the capital gains tax instead.

Why not raise the cap and also treat capital gains as regular income that is also medicare\ss taxable?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

oliveoil posted:

Why raise the cap on people who work for a living? Raise the capital gains tax instead.

Uh, what makes the guy who makes $110k deserving of paying less social security tax percent then the guy who makes 90k?

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent
I mean it's clear that he's 20k better than the 90k dude so when you think about it realistically he should probably pay even less taxes. :downs:

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Raldikuk posted:

Why not raise the cap and also treat capital gains as regular income that is also medicare\ss taxable?

fishmech posted:

Uh, what makes the guy who makes $110k deserving of paying less social security tax percent then the guy who makes 90k?

Good questions!

I don't know.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Today's victim: Starbucks is shutting down all Teavana stores. There were a few hundred of them, mostly in higher end malls. I guess taking out separate premium retail space selling expensive loving tea leaves instead of sticking them on shelves in the coffee shops people already go to was Bad Business.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Aw man, i liked their chai

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

bloodysabbath posted:

Today's victim: Starbucks is shutting down all Teavana stores. There were a few hundred of them, mostly in higher end malls. I guess taking out separate premium retail space selling expensive loving tea leaves instead of sticking them on shelves in the coffee shops people already go to was Bad Business.

I'm not even remotely shocked by this.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

bloodysabbath posted:

Christ their tea was overpriced as gently caress, too.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I liked teavana for the convenience of being able to sample/buy teas while I was at the mall anyway, but yeah, all of their poo poo was marked up to obscene degrees

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
My girlfriend purchased her tea from there. She won't be happy about this.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

OhFunny posted:

Luckily for her there are like a billion places you can buy (better) loose tea from for a fraction of the price!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

OhFunny posted:

Introduce your girlfriend to Adagio.com. I've been getting tea from there for years now, and I love them to death. (Don't buy their teapots, etc though. Just the tea.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminded of how Starbucks failed miserably in Australia, since it turns out we have tons of local coffee places.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
It really never made sense to me why Starbucks would try to make Teavana it's own thing with its own retail space.

You already have one of the most prolific and popular brands in America, just make "Teavana from Starbucks" and sell it at Starbucks.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I thought they sold Tazo tea in their coffee stores though.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I thought Teavana had established stores and Starbucks just bought them?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Teavana was its own company originally yeah. They started in 1997 and Starbucks bought them at the end of 2012.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

fishmech posted:

Teavana was its own company originally yeah. They started in 1997 and Starbucks bought them at the end of 2012.

That's interesting, because that's just before I stopped going there due to a lot of the traditional Chinese and Japanese green and white varieties that I like disappearing from the shelves with fruit blends taking their place. I wouldn't be surprised if that was Starbucks' doing since the profit margins on teas that are mostly dried bits of fruit are probably higher.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 29, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I thought Teavana had established stores and Starbucks just bought them?

yep, it's like when they bought all La Boulange and then just scuttled them. i think that was prolly a p dumb buy too

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Xaris posted:

yep, it's like when they bought all La Boulange and then just scuttled them. i think that was prolly a p dumb buy too

I'm not much of a retail genius but they get all the recipes, products, and names, and can easily roll them out in their stores. I'm not sure if Starbucks owns or leases the physical locations either, so they could just be tossing new Starbucks in there if so.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
After they bought boulange their pastries were briefly better, but then dropped to almost grocery-store level quality while still being expensive.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish there was a coffee shop that served french press coffee.

Espresso coffee invariably tastes like absolute poo poo every single place I have ever drunk it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

got any sevens posted:

After they bought boulange their pastries were briefly better, but then dropped to almost grocery-store level quality while still being expensive.

Yep this they're pretty terrible again now. Always seem dry and 6 days old garbage, even Safeway has fresher tasting than sbu

And yes you could say they paid $100 million for recipes but the name was pretty much small and no one heard of outside like Bay Area and stuff with really not much loyalty or anything. Often they already had an Starbucks within a few blocks of an LB anyways

That's some loving expensive recipes and not like it would be hard to get recipes for much cheaper

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

bloodysabbath posted:

I just passed a Teavana store and got sad for the workers inside. I like tea, but not at those prices.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me

OwlFancier posted:

I wish there was a coffee shop that served french press coffee.

Espresso coffee invariably tastes like absolute poo poo every single place I have ever drunk it.

While I don't know of a place that serves french press there's totally shops that do pour overs. If you're not getting super tiny espresso shots you're probably getting drip coffee which is universally the worst way to make coffee and even good coffee from good shops ends up tasting like rear end coming out of a drip machine. You'll probably have to go to a local hipster rear end coffee shop but it's totally worth it (and usually costs less than an espresso drink).

Uh sorry for :spergin: but good coffee is something I am v passionate about.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Great Metal Jesus posted:

Uh sorry for :spergin: but good coffee is something I am v passionate about.

Ooo! If you are indeed a coffee sperg then maybe you can help me! I've been thinking about buying an espresso machine for the past few years, but I don't know anything about them outside of reviews I've read on amazon. Can you give me any recommendations?

Thanks!

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Inescapable Duck posted:

Reminded of how Starbucks failed miserably in Australia, since it turns out we have tons of local coffee places.

Starbucks' one and only failure in Australia was calling themselves Starbucks. If they had picked some dumb bullshit name like "Starros" to go by there then people would've been all over them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Ooo! If you are indeed a coffee sperg then maybe you can help me! I've been thinking about buying an espresso machine for the past few years, but I don't know anything about them outside of reviews I've read on amazon. Can you give me any recommendations?

Thanks!

There is actually a whole thread on that in A/T

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A local tea chain had a tea called "Serenity Now" and I made a Seinfeld joke when I got some and the 20-somethings working there didn't get it at all :(
That's my over-priced tea chain store story.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

A local tea chain had a tea called "Serenity Now" and I made a Seinfeld joke when I got some and the 20-somethings working there didn't get it at all :(
That's my over-priced tea chain store story.

HOOCHIE MAMA!

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
EDIT: ^^^The A/T thread would be way more equipped than me to answer this one!^^^

Oh god, espresso machines are an ordeal. I've started looking into it myself and it just seems super cost prohibitive to me because I really want to go all the way if I'm gonna do it. Granted my idea of what you need for an espresso machine is also primarily from online reviews but I have experience with one of those Nespresso machines at work and can definitively say that they don't cut it.

What I can tell you is that from what I've read you're really gonna want a high end burr grinder that's capable of producing a consistent and fine grind (a lot of burr grinders are really good for everything else). These seem to start at around $200 and for home models up to around $500 but as you can expect the sky is kind of the limit. For the home espresso machine itself there's a pretty big gulf between the 2-5 hundred dollar home models (like the nespresso machine) and the regular espresso machines that start at like...$800. While I'm sure some day I'll crack and do it it's just way too much for me right now. Sorry I can't be of more help on this front :negative:

Now if you want to brew absolutely excellent coffee at home the way to go is a vacuum pot:

They're only about $60 (although you'll want to shell out the extra dough to get a butane burner for it to replace the standard denatured alcohol burner as it gives you much better control of the flame) and they brew a cup that's typically brighter and more vivid than a french press with a much cleaner texture. Since they take ideally medium-fine grinds any sort of grinder will work although burr grinders own bones. Plus it looks like a science experiment.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Great Metal Jesus posted:

Now if you want to brew absolutely excellent coffee at home the way to go is a vacuum pot:

They're only about $60 (although you'll want to shell out the extra dough to get a butane burner for it to replace the standard denatured alcohol burner as it gives you much better control of the flame) and they brew a cup that's typically brighter and more vivid than a french press with a much cleaner texture. Since they take ideally medium-fine grinds any sort of grinder will work although burr grinders own bones. Plus it looks like a science experiment.

Walt - "...why are we making meth?"

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
Funny story- Back when I worked in mental health I convinced my boss it was cool to bring in my coffee machine. I had to talk her down and convince her that an open flame in the kitchen wasn't gonna be a big deal, I had it under control. Made a couple cups of excellent coffee for my coworkers. Unfortunately I was informed by both coworkers and clients who were recovering meth users that the coffee pot reminded them of drugs. So I had to take it home. :(

That's my story completely unrelated to the retailpocalypse. Thanks for listening.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

If you're new and not good at making coffee start off with cold brew. Just Google Tonx Cold Brew Recipe.

Also the best non super expensive grinder that has been recommended for like the last 8 years is the Capresso Infinity.

If you're going to try to make good espresso at home be prepared for poo poo that costs hundreds of dollars.

Also, 2 of my friends run a coffee company with a couple dozen locations and they told me that essentially all the weird stuff people do to tamp the shot is bullshit, they've researched everything. The only thing you have to do is have the right grind and press it with X amount of pounds of pressure. I forgot what it was, something like 26 lbs of pressure.

They explained it much more scientifically than that.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Xaris posted:

They've been restarted though so that's good: https://www.qsrmagazine.com/fast-casual/theres-life-after-starbucks-la-boulange

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the advice, all! I've read the posts but I'll also poke my head into ask/tell, I'm guilty of not visiting there and should get in the habit of using it more often.

Thanks!

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 30, 2017

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Thanks for the advice, all! I've read the posts but I'll also poke my head into ask/tell, I'm guilty of not visiting there and should get in the habit of using it more often.

Thanks!

Unless I'm confusing my threads, I think these guys are trying to send you to the coffee thread, which is actually over in GWS:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437887&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

For what it's worth, you don't need to get some wacky meth lab contraption to make decent coffee. It pretty much comes down to grind, water temperature, and the method you use to bring the two together. My wife and I sprung for a Technivorm drip machine, and it makes an excellent cup. If you're like me and like to drink several cups over the course of the morning and don't want to fiddle with individual pour-over systems or open flames, Technivorms (with an insulated carafe) are worth the cost.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 30, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
No love for just boiling some grounds with some water in a saucepan and then drinking it through your teeth like a humpback whale sucking down plankton?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pour it through a cheese cloth first . I have (dead) relatives that drank it that way.