Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Skoll posted:

I only recognize like three of these people.

Why the gently caress is that assmunch Will Wheaton involved?

He's a sci-fi fan with a big nerd following.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Skoll posted:

I only recognize like three of these people.

Why the gently caress is that assmunch Will Wheaton involved?

Because he's popular with nerds. And this book is being marketed to nerds.

I'm looking forward to it. I recognize a few more than 3 people, but a bunch of short stories to hopefully discover some good authors sounds great. Let's see, in no particular order...

Chuck Wendig wrote the Aftermath books. I'm hoping this is a Sinjir story.
Paul Dini is largely responsible for the best Batman incarnation ever. Let him do whatever he wants.
Ben Acker and Ben Blacker created the Thrilling Adventure Hour, so they're always cool in my book. They wrote some kids Star Wars book I haven't looked at yet.
Claudia Gray wrote two of the best new EU stories, Lost Stars and Bloodline, so I'm looking forward to more from her.
Paul S. Kemp wrote Lords of the Sith in the new EU. Which I enjoyed.
Gary Whitta was one of the writers on Rogue One.
John Jackson Miller wrote a bunch of the Old Republic comics in the old EU. He also wrote A New Dawn in the new EU, which was decent.
Delilah S. Dawson is writing the upcoming book Phasma, but I've never read anything by her, so I won't really count her.
Ashley Eckstein is the voice actress for Ahsoka in The Clone Wars and Rebels. I have no idea if she can write, but she's become pretty closely linked to the character, and is pretty well loved in the community, so I get why she's been given a shot.
Wil Wheaton, well, everybody knows.
Pablo Hidalgo is the master of Star Wars canon (I don't remember his actual title), so he knows the universe better than anyone, but I don't think he's ever written anything beyond some junior novels and sourcebooks, so that's kind of a crap shoot.

These alone are wroth my purchase. Hopefully there's some gold with that and the ones I don't recognize.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Will Wheaton is kind of a dealbreaker for me as I dislike him as a person.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Skoll posted:

Will Wheaton is kind of a dealbreaker for me as I dislike him as a person.

So skip his story? He's going to be responsible for about 2% of this collection.

Or skip the whole thing, I don't really care.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I don't know much about him besides kinda recognizing his name, what's the matter with Will Wheaton?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

I don't know much about him besides kinda recognizing his name, what's the matter with Will Wheaton?

Dude's a massive hypocrite and rear end in a top hat. God forbid you disagree with him on anything else he goes all high and mighty on his 15 minutes of Wesley Crusher fame. He acts like he is some sort of judge, jury, and executioner of who is a "toxic" person based solely on whatever insane criteria there is in his head.

Also he completely hosed over the producer on his youtube show in an unbelievably cowardly way and someone who can do that to someone doesn't deserve the attention he does get.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Popete posted:

He's a nerd, who leans way into it, sometimes too into it, and some people find him insufferable. For example, he has a YouTube channel where he plays board games. And he's been on The Big Bang Theory. Also, he was the worst character on Star Trek TNG, but he was a kid, so most people don't really hate him for that. He's one of those guys it's hard to ignore if you participate in nerd culture (ugh) in any way, and that much saturation is going to earn some hatred.

I like him, don't love him, but I think the hatred of him is way overblown. Like...he's fine, sometimes funny.

edit: ^^^ That being said, I don't know anything about what is said above me, especially the producer thing, so maybe he sucks. I know his Twitter account is very liberal, but that doesn't bother me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I actually really like Wheaton. He's always struck me as a down to earth, passionate dude with a lot of respect for his fan base.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'm surprised about just how many comics writers are on that list. I know the Marvel Star Wars stuff has been selling gangbusters, but it's like 50% comics writers, 20% EU writers, and 10% podcasters.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Matt fraction did one of the best hawkeye stories out there, so I'll happily read whatever Star Wars thing he puts out.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'm pretty excited by that list. Acker and Blacker are always fun, Claudia Gray's already won me over as the best new EU writer, all the good comic writers are there, Nnedi Okorafor, Mallory loving Ortberg... Wil Wheaton is a small, easily skippable, price to pay.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

VaultAggie posted:

Matt fraction did one of the best hawkeye stories out there, so I'll happily read whatever Star Wars thing he puts out.

Also wrote Sex Criminals, another great comic. Greg Rucka is a comic writer as well. Kieron Gillen wrote the recent Vader comic and a series for Image called The Wicked + The Divine. Kelly Sue DeConnick wrote Captain Marvel and Bitch Planet. Ken Liu wrote the English translation of the excellent The Three-Body Problem. Christine Golden wrote several old-EU books (and a new one I think?).

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
What does a shaved wookie look like?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Catberry posted:

Nothing, it's fur all the way down.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Catberry posted:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Golden wrote several old-EU books (and a new one I think?).

She wrote Dark Disciple, which was basically just pasting together unused Clone Wars scripts, and really felt like it. Hopefully her next book, Phasma, is better.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I certainly know Kieron Gillen in a way. bastard got me into PC games back when he wrote for PC Gamer a decades ago.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'm almost done reading Tales of Jabba's Palace and just finished A Barve Like That: The Tale of Boba Fett, which was really good, and one of the first pieces of the EU, if not the first at all, that goes into the background and character of Boba Fett. I was curious why Daniel Keys Moran decided to put a pseudonym on it, but usually you don't really find out about behind-the-scenes stuff like that when it happens in a big franchise like Star Wars. Well, I was wrong. This isn't going to be news to any of you that trawl wookipedia links, but these two are absolutely worth reading:

https://www.bobafettfanclub.com/news/fettpedia/daniel-keys-moran_jaster-mereel/?from=rss

quote:

What attracted me to the story as I envisioned it? The nightmare of a strong man dying a slow death across years, losing his sense of who he was piece by piece -- Alzheimer's, anyone? -- and then a final shot at life long after he'd accepted the inevitability of death -- you can't do complex things in short stories, but that was a story worth telling even at a short length.

Long after I wrote that story I ran across a really great scene in a Stephen King novel, "From a Buick 8" -- the novel crosses a generation, and in the first half a strong man is busy being the chief of police; in the second half that same guy is going down with Alzheimer's, and his men come to see him and he has a moment of clarity and says to them, "Boys, I'm in Hell."

I wanted to send Boba Fett to Hell. Instead he had a bad couple days in San Bernardino.

http://danielkeysmoran.blogspot.co.at/2007/06/protect-innocent-star-wars-lawrence.html

quote:

I wrote three Star Wars stories for Kevin J. Anderson, back in the mid-late 90s. I'm proud of them: I did my best with them. They were stupid in places -- plotting I couldn't touch, such as Lucasfilm's determination that Boba Fett could only spend a couple days down inside the sarlacc; names, such as "Labria" and "jizz bands" -- that were so unfortunate all I could do was ignore them as much as possible and move on. But I did what, to my understanding at least, Lucas had done with Star Wars: hid the stupidity beneath sheer force of conviction, and charged ahead. And I think it worked.

The first story, "The Devaronian's Tale," appeared in "Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina," and was written around a really nice story by Kathy Tyers -- she wrote about the Band; I made the devil Dude, the guy with horns you see for a couple seconds, a music fanatic who'd been trying to get to see the "Modal Nodes" for decades -- the piece follows his machinations to get the Modal Nodes away from Jabba, and to the cantina where he, Labria, can sit and enjoy their music. A slight story but I liked it and signed my name to it even after they told me I couldn't use the word "whores" -- apparently there are no whores in the Star Wars universe.

His stories really stand head and shoulders about the others in the books and I wish he'd done more, but I can see why an author as good as that didn't continue working for the pittance you get in a franchise.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked that Labria story a whole lot but I'd forgotten it was one of Moran's stories.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Yeah, even if it isn't want Moran wanted, I still think A Barve Like That is great, and it's a shame that Moran felt he had to basically disown it.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
He also has some nice things to say about KJA, because he got a bad reputation with Lucasfilm for demanding the name change, but Kevin still hired him for Tales of the Bounty Hunters, and successfully fought against editorial changes to his story there Lucasfilm wanted. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Daniel Keys Moran also wrote the story (though not the screenplay) for the DS9 episode "Hard Time".

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Hannibal Rex posted:

He also has some nice things to say about KJA, because he got a bad reputation with Lucasfilm for demanding the name change, but Kevin still hired him for Tales of the Bounty Hunters, and successfully fought against editorial changes to his story there Lucasfilm wanted. I'm looking forward to reading it.

KJA is a bad writer* but at least not obviously brokebrained.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

KJA actually seems like a pretty cool dude from everything I've heard. A bad writer, but a good guy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
*patiently awaits the comparisons to Rob Liefeld and the anger that comes from calling a person a "good guy" while making bad work*

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

so that's why barve was said on every other page of the bounty hunter wars

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wait, so what's the controversy?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
almost finished inferno squad. its alright i guess. some interesting ideas here and there, but not as good as i hoped it would(not that i had much hope)

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

almost finished inferno squad. its alright i guess. some interesting ideas here and there, but not as good as i hoped it would(not that i had much hope)

How is it compared to the Republic Commando books?

I just cracked open Labyrinth of Evil and so far it's not bad.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Watching the prequels this weekend because... I have no idea.

But! Happy to report that dooku.net is still up and running.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Skoll posted:

How is it compared to the Republic Commando books?

I just cracked open Labyrinth of Evil and so far it's not bad.

i wish it was like the commando books. there is very little action in it. i finally finished it. its not bad and even has a pretty strong start and few good points. but its loving boring. they go one like 3 missions. 1st is sorta ok, the other is kinda cool and the big one sucks. spoilers. so basicaly the partisans are still around though its not the jeda cell, they all died but there is one group that does various terror attacks and suicide bombings. so ISB dad has them all go deep cover with the cell. alot of the book is how each of the squad people gets to the undercover. main girl basicaly publicly denounces the empire so she can become a small symbol and she gets kidnapped. then most of the book is them becoming part of the group and slowly getting acclimated. eventually one dies because she fucks up and main girl kills her publicly so they can keep in good graces. then the book kinda sputters its self out. the one insurgent leader ends up being Lux Bonteri and the rest are legit killed of screen. there is subplot about these clay robots that doesn't do anything. the book just kinda ends. the characters are ok but flat as heck at times. it was free so i am not super pissed. honestly i have more hope for the game simply because the dude who wrote spec ops the line is doing most of the writing. so sure it will be like 7 hours but ehh gently caress it.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I just finished reading it too and it was... Alright. The post above me hits it pretty well. I didn't mind the lack of action, but the writing was pretty mediocre, and the characters weren't all that interesting.

I kind of enjoyed the "who is the Mentor" plot, but I guessed pretty early on. It's always fun seeing Clone Wars characters being used.

Overall I didn't hate it, and don't regret reading it. Still looking forward to the game, exactly the same amount as before.

Definitely wasn't as good as Twilight Company, which was way more enjoyable than it had any right to be.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Dave Syndrome posted:

This book is worth it alone for the status-quo-changing revelation that the galactic public finds out that Vader is Leia's (and by extension Luke's) father and how that affects her political career.
Thanks for this spoiler. I ignored Bloodline because SW politics are relentlessly dull but there is plenty of good stuff in there. It's entertaining and goes into important areas the movies haven't really touched. The Jabba snuff holocube is a wonderful plot device.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

cptn_dr posted:

I just finished reading it too and it was... Alright. The post above me hits it pretty well. I didn't mind the lack of action, but the writing was pretty mediocre, and the characters weren't all that interesting.

I kind of enjoyed the "who is the Mentor" plot, but I guessed pretty early on. It's always fun seeing Clone Wars characters being used.

Overall I didn't hate it, and don't regret reading it. Still looking forward to the game, exactly the same amount as before.

Definitely wasn't as good as Twilight Company, which was way more enjoyable than it had any right to be.

yeah. it wasnt awful but it wasnt great. apperently some leaks were pulled out of the alpha of battlefront 2 and it seems interesting enough though not surprising, if true that is.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

thrawn527 posted:

Spoiler tags, because someone in this thread mentioned that they're reading the series right now.

Something called The Observatory. It had a bunch of ancient Sith relics, and an ancient computer which was mapping a path through the Unknown Regions (using info input by Thrawn who knew the Unknown Regions, among other data). Palpatine had it set up to find some great...thing on the other side, a source of great dark energy (not likely the Vong, possibly Snoke related?). But the guy who took over for Palpatine used the map to have the top brass of the Empire (the ones worth saving) travel through the Unknown Regions to set up a new Empire (re: The First Order).

Also at The Observatory was a hole that was drilled to the very core of Jakku, which was done to literally destroy the planet. See, Sheev's plan was, in the case of his death, to have the Empire and the New Republic fleets destroyed, clearing the game board for what came next. So the worst parts of what was left of the Empire were sent to Jakku in order to lure the New Republic to it, and destroy the planet and both fleets at the same time. This obviously didn't happen, since Jakku was still around in The Force Awakens, but that was the plan.

Didn't rap master Sheev plan to destroy both fleets so the galaxy would fall into chaos with no controlling government? Basically making the galaxy Somalia so it sucked for every one.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

504 posted:

Didn't rap master Sheev plan to destroy both fleets so the galaxy would fall into chaos with no controlling government? Basically making the galaxy Somalia so it sucked for every one.

Right, I mentioned that in the quoted post. "to have the Empire and the New Republic fleets destroyed, clearing the game board for what came next"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

504 posted:

yeah. but there is bunch of hints that there is a poo poo ton imperial weapons/manpower and sith stuff in the unknown regions, either from palpatine or by another power, the thrawn book heavly hints that their is something in the unknown regions that the chiss can't beat and its why he was sent to them to gain their aid/spy. its implied it might be the sith.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Lord Hydronium posted:

KJA actually seems like a pretty cool dude from everything I've heard. A bad writer, but a good guy.

Zahn also has had good things to say about KJA. And KJA was able to get a lot of interesting 90s genre authors to write short stories in his various anthologies when he was pretty much the de facto chief of the Bantam era, so I give him that.

On the other hand, a few years ago he got nominated for the Hugo by the Sad Puppies and his response was almost literally "Just forget their politics, I finally got nominated for a Hugo!" and between that and his willingness to "collaborate" with Brian Herbert on Dune in ways that Frank Herbert pretty clearly would not want always made me feel like KJA is pretty mercenary.

To me, the funniest thing about KJA is that Chris Carter, the showrunner for The X-Files, loved KJA's Star Wars work and as a direct result, hired him to write X-Files books and comics. He even put Exar Kun's name in the credits of the (original) final episode of X-Files back in 2002.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
When I'm done with Tales of the Bounty Hunters, I my do a bit of a write up of the first three anthologies and KJA's stint as their editor, but I can already say that each one is an improvement on the previous. This thread mostly talks about books, but wasn't KJA also heavily involved in the Tales of the Jedi comics with Tom Veitch, which, I believe, were some of the earliest SW comics after Dark Empire, and laid a lot of the ground work of SW's ancient history?

I've been meaning to ask, did the reveal that Sith = evil force users not come from these comics too? I vaguely remember evil force users being pretty much exclusively being called Dark Jedi up to some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hannibal Rex posted:

When I'm done with Tales of the Bounty Hunters, I my do a bit of a write up of the first three anthologies and KJA's stint as their editor, but I can already say that each one is an improvement on the previous. This thread mostly talks about books, but wasn't KJA also heavily involved in the Tales of the Jedi comics with Tom Veitch, which, I believe, were some of the earliest SW comics after Dark Empire, and laid a lot of the ground work of SW's ancient history?

I've been meaning to ask, did the reveal that Sith = evil force users not come from these comics too? I vaguely remember evil force users being pretty much exclusively being called Dark Jedi up to some point.

The term originated from Lucas' script notes for a New Hope. While it's never used in the movie, Vader is described as the "Dark Lord of the Sith" from the very beginning.

EDIT: I also think it appeared in the novel that Lucas wrote for A New Hope, but I might be wrong-it's been a while and the only bit I clearly remember is Obi-wan using a duck metaphor and Luke having no clue what a duck was.