Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Thumbtacks posted:

Does Urgot's W or whatever count as auto attacks? Would thornmail or bramble vest or whatever completely shred him if he uses it on me? It applies Fervor stacks so I'm thinking it might count.

Reading the wiki, they are autos! But it sets his AA to a certain speed and he can't crit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah I'm gonna give it another shot in *checks watch* like nine years when I hit 20

Support's a loving blast if you're willing to invest the time and effort in getting good at it. You can play a whole bunch of different poo poo now and be successful, you get to play a more strategic game based around warding and counterwarding, and maining support gives you an immediate, tangible advantage over your autofilled lane opponent.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Dickeye I'll play support for you it'll be just like the old days when we would AIM and talk about comics

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

RealFoxy posted:

Dickeye I'll play support for you it'll be just like the old days when we would AIM and talk about comics

I don't remember you but I assume your Flaming black with a name change and that I do rememver

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I don't remember you but I assume your Flaming black with a name change and that I do rememver
Yes it is me. My IGN is SKT Krepo

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

honestly the new ps4 client is better than i thought it would be... but it still sucks. stay away.

Vermain posted:

Support's a loving blast if you're willing to invest the time and effort in getting good at it. You can play a whole bunch of different poo poo now and be successful, you get to play a more strategic game based around warding and counterwarding, and maining support gives you an immediate, tangible advantage over your autofilled lane opponent.

support is alright but you have to be careful never to become the silver "support is the real carry :smug:" leona main that makes lovely calls and passively aggressively hates on every adc

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

pog boyfriend posted:

honestly the new ps4 client is better than i thought it would be... but it still sucks. stay away.

support is alright but you have to be careful never to become the silver "support is the real carry :smug:" leona main that makes lovely calls and passively aggressively hates on every adc

don't subtweet miraclebutt like this

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Addamere posted:

bronze flex is weird

There must be a correlation between not knowing what Eye of the Oasis is and being Bronze 1

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
What champions do you guys like to build Talisman on versus which champions you go Eye on? I like Talisman on a few different champions, like Rakan and sometimes Blitzcrank, if I'm feeling spicy.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pog boyfriend posted:

I think the healthiest way to view support - and any role, really - is that you're a member of a team, and that the easiest way to win is to work with the rest of your team to try and get them ahead so that you can all win together. I'm sitting with a 75% winrate in Gold 2 (in promos to G1) right now, and in none of my past 20 games have I hard carried in the slightest. I think the reason a lot of people end up getting stuck in ranked is precisely because they get mired in this weird mentality that they need to drag their garbage team over the finish line, and so they end up doing insanely stupid low-percentage plays to try and eke out tiny leads over and over instead of playing standard and working to coordinate with their team to create advantages.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

CubeTheory posted:

What champions do you guys like to build Talisman on versus which champions you go Eye on? I like Talisman on a few different champions, like Rakan and sometimes Blitzcrank, if I'm feeling spicy.

Engage champs Talisman, healers/mages Eye.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

CubeTheory posted:

talisman was a good buy when the support items were all roughly balanced with one another, but now that redemption and censer are 1000x better than any other item it's better to get eye because it's cheaper and faster

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
whats the best way to get more consistent with my last hitting, like whats stuff to look for in training games or w/e

im doing better with trista's abilities, actually managed to get a couple kills last game, but i just keep wiffing on my last hits

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you can click units in game to see how much health they have and other stats such as damage

you will eventually get a feel for how many ranged minion bolts are required to hit a minion before you last hit it but the numbers might help you get this feeling

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Addamere posted:

you can click units in game to see how much health they have and other stats such as damage

why do they hide this from me, this is BULLSHIT

i've been kinda eyeballing the bars trying to go "well that looks CLOSE lets gently caress DIDNT WORK MOTHERFUCKER" this sounds so much better

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

whats the best way to get more consistent with my last hitting, like whats stuff to look for in training games or w/e

im doing better with trista's abilities, actually managed to get a couple kills last game, but i just keep wiffing on my last hits

2 tower hits then auto for melee creeps one auto then tower hit then another auto for casters, under tower, and just practise last hitting with no runes and masteries, so when you do have them it is very easy to last hit comparatively. also, pay attention to whoever the caster minions are focusing cause those minions die the fastest

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
Also, it's OK to use abilities to last hit if circumstances require it, like if more than one minion will die in the time span of a single AA or if you're Veigar (+1/2 AP per normal/cannon minion kill with Q).

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Falconer posted:

Also, it's OK to use abilities to last hit if circumstances require it, like if more than one minion will die in the time span of a single AA or if you're Veigar (+1/2 AP per normal/cannon minion kill with Q).

I'll use tristas q and e to help with crowds (q is an attack speed buff and e is a timed explosive that works wonders if I happen to be stranded

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
This was ranked: http://plays.tv/video/597c2c2bc9bf77202d/well-he-hit-the-skillshot

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Prokhor posted:

don't subtweet miraclebutt like this

How dare you.

I'm gold III

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

pog boyfriend posted:

2 tower hits then auto for melee creeps one auto then tower hit then another auto for casters, under tower, and just practise last hitting with no runes and masteries, so when you do have them it is very easy to last hit comparatively. also, pay attention to whoever the caster minions are focusing cause those minions die the fastest

Alternatively, get miss fortune and never learn conventional last hitting, pick up really bad habits.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
http://plays.tv/video/597c60f0adca06dd39/-?from=user

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

el dingo posted:

Alternatively, get miss fortune and never learn conventional last hitting, pick up really bad habits.

AKA Draven's old passive syndrome
Well, actually that one was not that bad if you were running arpen runes like a real tryhard pro.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jul 29, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

el dingo posted:

bad habits are for people who hate freedom and being good and pro

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
What are people finding good on new Urgot? Black cleaver and then tanky stuff pretty much?

Also, seeing a lot of people saying coin is really good. Would it be the thing to build on Blitz? Or at least not completely stupid to build on him? Just had an Ashe rage at me the other day for building a "useless item".

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

thebardyspoon posted:

What are people finding good on new Urgot? Black cleaver and then tanky stuff pretty much?

Also, seeing a lot of people saying coin is really good. Would it be the thing to build on Blitz? Or at least not completely stupid to build on him? Just had an Ashe rage at me the other day for building a "useless item".

You can pretty much build coin on any support now, Blitz might be better than most because the speed boost it gives you would be useful for chasing down and hooking people. Plus it just gives way more money (1-2k more per game at least) than any other income item.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 29, 2017

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Does Riot ever give refunds for skins of champions that got a total rework? I loved Urgot's old battlecast skin, but the new one just isn't cutting it. Doesn't feel like a 1350 skin either. With his new ult, Crabgot is the skin to use now.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Lord Ephraim posted:

Does Riot ever give refunds for skins of champions that got a total rework? I loved Urgot's old battlecast skin, but the new one just isn't cutting it. Doesn't feel like a 1350 skin either. With his new ult, Crabgot is the skin to use now.
They used to WAY back when they first started doing these. Like, back when they did Trundle and Karma but they haven't in probably 3+ years.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Just shoot support a message, the worst they can say is no

E now that I think about it the worst they can actually do is investigate your account and determine you're an incredibly bad and toxic person and extend your 24 hour ban to a 2 week ban while saying you should be getting a perma ban

Luna Was Here fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 29, 2017

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Thumbtacks posted:

Does Urgot's W or whatever count as auto attacks? Would thornmail or bramble vest or whatever completely shred him if he uses it on me? It applies Fervor stacks so I'm thinking it might count.

Thornmail doesnt shred anyone since the damage reflection was gutted. It's pretty much just a slightly worse Randuins now.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

how the gently caress do you even begin to learn this game if you've never played a moba before? a willingness to dedicate hundreds of hours?

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
1. You don't, you play hots
2. Who's never played a Moba before at this point

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Work Friend Keven posted:

1. You don't, you play hots
2. Who's never played a Moba before at this point

1. okay
2. good people

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Google Butt posted:

how the gently caress do you even begin to learn this game if you've never played a moba before? a willingness to dedicate hundreds of hours?

My recommendation would be to pick a champion who looks cool and then throw yourself head-on to bot games. Learn how to last hit with them and also their abilities until you feel comfortable with them, then go play a normal game against actual real life humans, hopefully get your hero, and then go hog wild. If this is truly your first foray into anything moba related you are going to be incredibly bad at the start but it's best to not think about that and just have fun. You're not going to have the will to try and get better if you don't enjoy yourself

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Google Butt posted:

The best way to get in is to find a friend that plays and play with them. If you can't do that, playing a lot of bot games, watch a couple of tutorials on youtube and you should get the basics down. The best advice I can give is to mute everyone on your team in bot games because they are likely going to be either terrible or toxic, and neither is going to help you learn. The basics of the game are actually pretty simple. Knowing the positions, understanding the importance of CS and objective pressure, understanding that warding is important, these things will get you a long way. After that it's mostly just learning what every champion does, and that takes a while, but you eventually get it. When I first started I would play free champions in bot games to see what they did and it helped a lot. Also, if a champion is dumping on you, look them up after the game and figure out how their skills work. Most champions have clear roads of counterplay and learning how to play against them is very important. Focus on a single position, or two, and find a couple of champions you like in that role. Find Twitch streamers that play that champion and watch a few matches, learn how to build and how to use your skills effectively.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hi league is my first moba and I started playing it late last year. Do the tutorial stuff, play some bot games, maybe do a training mode game to practice your last hitting in with less pressure, play some more bot games, hate everyone else in bot games, complain in this thread, ask for advice and resources, play garen, spin2win

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CubeTheory posted:

The best way to get in is to find a friend that plays and play with them. If you can't do that, playing a lot of bot games, watch a couple of tutorials on youtube and you should get the basics down. The best advice I can give is to mute everyone on your team in bot games because they are likely going to be either terrible or toxic, and neither is going to help you learn. The basics of the game are actually pretty simple. Knowing the positions, understanding the importance of CS and objective pressure, understanding that warding is important, these things will get you a long way. After that it's mostly just learning what every champion does, and that takes a while, but you eventually get it. When I first started I would play free champions in bot games to see what they did and it helped a lot. Also, if a champion is dumping on you, look them up after the game and figure out how their skills work. Most champions have clear roads of counterplay and learning how to play against them is very important. Focus on a single position, or two, and find a couple of champions you like in that role. Find Twitch streamers that play that champion and watch a few matches, learn how to build and how to use your skills effectively.

Related, any streamers who play Tristana on the reg because she rules and is cool

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

iSurrender posted:

Thornmail doesnt shred anyone since the damage reflection was gutted. It's pretty much just a slightly worse Randuins now.

Pretty sure randuines is a worse thornmail right now, not the other way around, not letting yourself turn into a health battery for lifesteal in what has been a lifesteal meta lately is rather strong.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Google Butt posted:

Find a friend/goon willing to play with you & watch competitive (Which is on right now!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I learn a lot from watching pro games, some of my favourite item builds come from just seeing a combo I'd never thought about coming out in pro play.

• Locked thread