Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Motor Trend: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-3/2018/exclusive-tesla-model-3-first-drive-review/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

That's encouraging. Do Motor Trend usually rave like that?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I'm glad to hear (so far) that Tesla's put a lot of emphasis on handling and the physical responsiveness of the vehicle's drivetrain. My personal fear was that with the concept of autopilot taking over 10 years from now there would be no real emphasis on road feel, handling, etc. Looks like that was an unfounded fear, which is a great thing.

Personally still waiting for the next Mini-E to see how that goes (with the Mini being everything I love about handling in a car combined with that wonderful, rattling British charm and electrical problems), but the Model 3's now an option on the plate as well in 2019 or whatever.

Edit: Holy hell the Model 3 doesn't have a key, you use your smartphone. :stonk: I'm betting it's less than 6 months until someone's spoofing Model 3 "keys" and taking cars for joy rides.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 29, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Well, so far my expectations are met. The trunk looks fine, I should be able to put some skis in there. Range is good. Motor Trend's bit about the handling seems great. The center screen is probably a non issue after a few hours, but I wonder if the saved space on the dash is taken advantage of in giving the driver a bigger field of view.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ola posted:

I wonder if the saved space on the dash is taken advantage of in giving the driver a bigger field of view.

A bigger field of view of the hood though, no?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

A bigger field of view of the hood though, no?

Maybe, or at best the road, but that's nice for narrow spaces, parking garages etc.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Have they ever clarified the $35K figure as being pre- or post- incentive?

Still couldn't see anything explicit in those articles.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

~Coxy posted:

It's listed as $35k USD on the canadian site, and canada obviously doesn't have the american incentive.

If you don't have a spot in line, you're probably not going to get much of the federal tax credit anyways. It's only for the first 200,000 cars and gets cut in half every 6 months after that. They only have ~80,000 tax credits left, and they're delivering ~25k/quarter, so it'll probably start to phase out by the beginning of 2018.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Incentives aren't uniform, are they?

E:

Powershift posted:

It's listed as $35k USD on the canadian site, and canada obviously doesn't have the american incentive.

Is that with our without the bullshit estimated fuel savings? Some provinces have incentives, but the number isn't likely to line up exactly.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Subjunctive posted:

Incentives aren't uniform, are they?

E:

Is that with our without the bullshit estimated fuel savings? Some provinces have incentives, but the number isn't likely to line up exactly.

FWIW, I've not seen that particular trick mentioned in conjunction with the model 3. That's not to say they're not doing it, but so far, it still looks like those prices are cash, pre-incentives.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It's so nice to see them growing up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So, they also updated the model 3 page, and if you have a reservation, they'll give you a delivery estimate...

Mine looks like IMAGE REDACTED, which is interesting, since I guess the first production cars are all getting the glass roof package?

(First production is long range, with a $49k pricetag, Nov17-Jan18 delivery, Short range is $35k, Jan-Mar18 delivery, AWD with a choice of battery Sep-Nov18 delivery, no price listed.)

Edit why the hell would a reservation ID be sensitive?

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 29, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You want to mask the reservation number.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Honestly, if they've made it fun to drive, and the minimalist interior means they're ditching the OfficeMax furniture look and feel then they deserve to sell millions of them.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

~Coxy posted:

If you're in the US, that's pre-subsidy.

The problem is that they aren't actually selling the $35k model, at least not at first. Early buyers can only order the $44k 310 mile version. They're supposed to make the $35k version available in the fall, but... if I'm being cynical... that may be subject to Elon Time since their margins are likely to be terrible on that. I don't think anyone will get a $35k Model 3 before 2018.

Which also means! If I'm right about that, Ol' Musky will have performed a marketing miracle by creating the world's first $35k BEV that doesn't actually exist at that price point.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Every launch in car history: "What, we don't get the full spec model at the starting price??"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Agronox posted:

I don't think anyone will get a $35k Model 3 before 2018.

Considering that the schedule for delivering the $35K variant starts in January of 2018, that seems reasonable.

Re: reservation IDs, that was what I used with support to get information on my car like where it was being delivered, and I'm not sure I actually had to give my name for it. Possibly an excess of caution, sorry.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I don't have a specific ETA, but the estimator is showing
Long range RWD: 11/2017-1/2018
Standard Range RWD: 1/2018-3/2018
AWD: 9/2018-11/2018

Which I'm ok with, because delivery then would be a treat as I'm going back to school to finish my degree and it would be a nice graduation reward.

Splashy Gravy
Dec 21, 2004

I HAVE FURY!
Slippery Tilde
tesla.com seems to be having some serious trouble keeping up with the traffic at least where I'm coming from.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Splashy Gravy posted:

tesla.com seems to be having some serious trouble keeping up with the traffic at least where I'm coming from.

It's been flaky all morning. Working, but SLOW.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Their web people are not great. The service staff have a rehearsed line of patter semi-apologizing for it when the app gets hosed up or you can't make changes on the site.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ola posted:

Every launch in car history: "What, we don't get the full spec model at the starting price??"

The difference is, when a new Odyssey comes out, you don't need to wait six months for Honda to move a bunch of Touring Elites before you can even see an LX in a showroom. This delay is even more relevant given the rapidly phasing out federal credits that I'm sure the majority of Model 3 buyers were looking to claim.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ripoff posted:

Edit: Holy hell the Model 3 doesn't have a key, you use your smartphone. :stonk: I'm betting it's less than 6 months until someone's spoofing Model 3 "keys" and taking cars for joy rides.

My 2007 Prius doesn't have a key either. (ok it has a little backup door key in case the fob battery dies).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I have a Windows Phone and frequently go places without cell signal. Would it still work?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

CharlesM posted:

I have a Windows Phone and frequently go places without cell signal. Would it still work?

probably some sort of bluetooth pairing is going, so go to someplace with the interwebs, get the app, pair it then forget about it. Telsa's app may not work with windows phone, probably ios and android only. Also if someone hacks our apps and spoofs our stuff because we are too cheap to hand out fobs for a 35k car that is your issue not ours. Also I think GM did a better job with the inside on the bolt.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'd assume that it would work with either Bluetooth (God I hope not) or NFC, and wouldn't require a cell/data signal at all.

Having to be in cell coverage to get your car to work is basically an SNL skit waiting to be written.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

IOwnCalculus posted:

The difference is, when a new Odyssey comes out, you don't need to wait six months for Honda to move a bunch of Touring Elites before you can even see an LX in a showroom. This delay is even more relevant given the rapidly phasing out federal credits that I'm sure the majority of Model 3 buyers were looking to claim.

Residents of California still have access to growing subsidies. And who knows what congress will do.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

wargames posted:

probably some sort of bluetooth pairing is going, so go to someplace with the interwebs, get the app, pair it then forget about it. Telsa's app may not work with windows phone, probably ios and android only. Also if someone hacks our apps and spoofs our stuff because we are too cheap to hand out fobs for a 35k car that is your issue not ours. Also I think GM did a better job with the inside on the bolt.

The current app relies on cell signal so... Idk

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

The Sicilian posted:

The current app relies on cell signal so... Idk

That is dumb then.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

CharlesM posted:

Getting locked out due to cell service outages has already happened to Tesla owners who left the house without a fob: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPQeu9VDDCI/

Edit: I mean they could change something with the 3 (like adding bluetooth) to accommodate it not having a fob, but it would be a change

Dem Bones fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 29, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Not the same thing. The current app talks to Tesla's servers, which again talks to the car. This obviously requires either cell data or WiFi for both the car and the phone. But if used as a key, the phone will have to talk directly to the car somehow. A bit dumb. What if your phone runs out of power with the charger inside the car?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
You know the more I think about this the more annoyed I get.

Let's say you believed in Tesla and waited in line to get your early spot in the reservation queue. You wanted a $35k Model 3 with the range of 215 miles that Elon promised. Okay, let's say you're #4 in the queue.

Your reservation number ended up being kinda meaningless, didn't it? According to the FAQ the ONLY Model 3s they're building at first are $49k long range, premium interior versions. So you can either pay an extra $14k to get your car early or hold out another six or more months until the company gets around to building your base model. That's a pretty lovely thing to do to some of your biggest fans. It's as if the $35k Model 3 won't even actually exist until sometime in 2018.

gently caress it, I'm a Tesla Hater now!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

Not the same thing. The current app talks to Tesla's servers, which again talks to the car. This obviously requires either cell data or WiFi for both the car and the phone. But if used as a key, the phone will have to talk directly to the car somehow. A bit dumb. What if your phone runs out of power with the charger inside the car?

I think there's also a backup keycard you can keep in the wallet or something.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm glad I didn't spend money to get on the waiting list. The long range model is more than I want to spend on a commuter vehicle, and making all the Base Model Buyers go to the back of the line means that the incentive will be all used up anyway.

Bring on the Ioniq, VW's EV, etc

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

FistEnergy posted:

Yeah, I'm glad I didn't spend money to get on the waiting list. The long range model is more than I want to spend on a commuter vehicle, and making all the Base Model Buyers go to the back of the line means that the incentive will be all used up anyway.

Bring on the Ioniq, VW's EV, etc

The bolt ain't bad and you could buy it today! But a volvo electric is bound to be cool.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If you were #4 in line total, won't you be #(4 minus number of long range buyers from 1-3) for the short range? I don't see the problem, apart from losing incentives. That does suck.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I was interested in the whole idea of the 3 at first, but man, I'm already a lovely enough driver without having to look to the side to see the speedometer.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Ola posted:

If you were #4 in line total, won't you be #(4 minus number of long range buyers from 1-3) for the short range? I don't see the problem, apart from losing incentives. That does suck.

Fourth in line could mean 84,000th car. They didn't tell you that when you put your thousand dollars down. It's a bait and switch.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Agronox posted:

Fourth in line could mean 84,000th car. They didn't tell you that when you put your thousand dollars down. It's a bait and switch.

What did they tell you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
I thought Tesla was going to do some fuckery with delivery dates etc on the incentives?

I remember reading something about the incentives being stepped down by calendar dates after hitting the delivery milestone, so Tesla would try to squeeze in as many deliveries as possible before the incentives are stepped down.

• Locked thread