Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Scorch double charge is how he should already be!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Is it just me or do turrets have a finite number of lives or something? I swear I had one in a game that disappeared. Communication definitely helps but isn't required. Sucks when you just need like $50 more or to remind someone to repair turrets when you're on the other side of the map

Think I got my Ion to aegis 15. Beat hard a couple times, want to do insane. Didn't get anything in the queue

Anyone want to run insane later tonight?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Also I don't think any pubbies have used the reserve ever

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Is it just me or do turrets have a finite number of lives or something? I swear I had one in a game that disappeared. Communication definitely helps but isn't required. Sucks when you just need like $50 more or to remind someone to repair turrets when you're on the other side of the map

I've definitely had one disappear. Maybe if they're damaged (ie. by nuke) after they're disabled? Or maybe if they're not repaired after X rounds?

I switched to Tone for F_D and while I might lose my Titan, I'm consistently getting MVP at the end of the match instead of the longest-lived-Titan I was getting with Monarch. Feel like I'm actually helping my team too. Monarch is definitely a support Titan.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ohh that makes sense. I think it's usually been when it's too close to the mobs path of travel

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't really like Legion overall (got it to lvl 10 iirc) and I'm more of a fan of Scorch and Monarch for F_D. Scorch is so drat good for general killing since you can just rain fire around corners and let the enemies just walk into your fire.

I still have to try Northstar, Ion and Ronin (doubt that this one is good for F_D at least for me).

Edit: To anyone having problem with drones as Scorch, use your flame shield and just stay on their flying path, they melt instantly.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
F_D Titan experiences:

Ion: Wasn't super impressed but I only played him on Rise which is great for his Tripwires but it felt really difficult to get Titans to shoot at my void shield.

Northstar: Played him on Wargames. 3 MVP's back to back to back. Plant yourself on the left side of the map (from the harvester) and just snipe enemy titans all day, cluster missile any and all drop pods. Also if you're not using Piercing Shot you're being sub-optimal.

Ronin: Played on Rise. Not a good map for him IMO, especially with all the nuke titans making it REALLY annoying to get away from every single explosion.

Legion: Played him the most because he is my special titan boy and all naysayers are wrong. He's amazing on Rise when you're holding a lane and can just Smart Core an entire line of Titans and have every shot penetrate every target. I used him with Sensor Package for that extra smart core murder time. Is not so good on Blackwater Canal in my opinion, you're either holding the center lane and getting swarmed and having to reload every half second, or holding an off-lane and not getting enough core to make an impact.

Monarch: Played on Homestead and Wargames, she's really good on any map I feel. Definitely a support role, but once you get all three upgrade cores she is a MONSTER.

Still need to play Scorch and Tone because I hate both playstyles.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Capn Beeb posted:

Buying nuke rodeo unlocks it for the whole round then?

Nah it's just one use per $500. Persists through rounds/deaths though which is nice.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Is it just me or do turrets have a finite number of lives or something? I swear I had one in a game that disappeared.

This has happened to me a couple of times too, but always when retrying around. Can't figure out what the rhyme or reason to it is beyond that though.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Pro-tip: Be careful when nuke rodeoing Nuke titans next to other nuke titans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXFJELYBi3o
:saddowns:

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

A few thoughts on the patch for pilot stuff in MP:
  • The SMG nerf doesn't feel significant. I could still hit dumb shots with the Alternator and R-97.
  • The G2 feels icky. It's still good, but the combination of the AR aim assist nerf, and particularly the fire rate nerf make me feel that way. The gun was balanced fine pre-patch; the absurdly strong AR aim assist was what made it too strong.
  • Use the Mozambique! It's a great secondary for the G2 and Hemlok, which I've returned to after that G2 nerf. Just remember to lead your shots a little since it's a projectile weapon.
  • The Spitfire wasn't touched in this patch, so if you haven't picked it up recently, try it. Only thing that sucks is the grind for Threat Scope, because every other sight for that gun is bad.
  • I haven't seen much Phase Shift post-patch, which is good. Haven't used it personally as I'm weaning myself off of it.

and tonight I managed to find a preserved Christmas lobby

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I like the spitfire but I feel like it's going to get heavily nerfed so I might as well use something else now

The phase shift nerf was silly. It can be annoying but I don't really think everyone uses it. But, please buff things, stop nerfing things

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I like the spitfire but I feel like it's going to get heavily nerfed so I might as well use something else now

The phase shift nerf was silly. It can be annoying but I don't really think everyone uses it. But, please buff things, stop nerfing things

Phase Shift needed a nerf. It actively made playing the game slower and shittier.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The double charge didn't even really make any logical sense. It was a good balance change. The recharge is pretty generous too. It's still powerful af. You just can't spam it anymore.

I like most of the changes this patch, but I'm not feeling how lovely AR's feel at medium range atm. I think nerfing the auto aim was kind of dumb. It just makes the game feel crappier on console.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jul 28, 2017

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It may be that I'm a bad player but didn't really notice the AR nerf that much as I just started to use the spitfire and Devotion more. Also the L-Star is quite good for that starting wave on F_D.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I might just be misunderstanding what you are saying, but none of those are assault rifles...

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Tone feels weird for frontier defense. You want to paint as many targets as possible with two marks, make the final mark with the sonar pulse before spending a solid 10 seconds just firing missiles. This is good on maps like Homestead where you can stand over the battlefield to paint as many targets as possible. Less so on maps like Rise where not only do you have straight lanes but also tons of walls to block missiles

Ronin works well in the backfield where titans spawn picking them off one at a time. You will want to plant arc mines around your hunting grounds to disrupt groups. Auto titan melee hits like a truck and if your block doesn't come up in time it sends you flying.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I might just be misunderstanding what you are saying, but none of those are assault rifles...

Sorry, I meant that from what I've used (R-201 and Flatline) the nerf doesn't look that bad. Then the thing I was trying to point is that lately (both F_D and normal MP) I leaned towards LMGs when I needed more range. LMG's are great for F_D and hell, I never used the thunderball and now I'm in love, it builds titan meter drat fast and it's nice against tics and drones.

My only gripe with TF2 progression now that did regen for the first time last night, is that the game should give you more credits to buy stuff earlier. I understand that they give a few credits from 1 to 50 so you just save them and unlock stuff more naturally, but once you regen, you should get more and just get your favourite stuff faster.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Blind Duke posted:

Auto titan melee hits like a truck and if your block doesn't come up in time it sends you flying.

Learned this the hard way last night when I got knocked halfway across the map and into a pit with a brand new Titan.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I just played my first hard F_D on Rise and I got to play with some crazy dudes rocking all improved auto titan, zipping around with anti titan weapons and they were crazy effective. I wonder if this a really viable tactic for F_D since the AI just follow paths and you can do serious poo poo with the ball-o-lightning weapon and placing titans in good spots.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

OneDeadman posted:

Also I don't think any pubbies have used the reserve ever

Neither myself or my buddy can use it lately, the button prompts are transparent and no amount of pressing them deposits or withdraws cash :(

Hulk Krogan posted:

Nah it's just one use per $500. Persists through rounds/deaths though which is nice.

Ahh alright, I was wondering why I still had the little nuke rodeo icon on my hud after a round

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Capn Beeb posted:

Neither myself or my buddy can use it lately, the button prompts are transparent and no amount of pressing them deposits or withdraws cash :(

Are you playing on easy? You can only share funds on normal and above, apparently.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Guillermus posted:

I just played my first hard F_D on Rise and I got to play with some crazy dudes rocking all improved auto titan, zipping around with anti titan weapons and they were crazy effective. I wonder if this a really viable tactic for F_D since the AI just follow paths and you can do serious poo poo with the ball-o-lightning weapon and placing titans in good spots.

Did y'all win? I've probably only won 2-3 out of 15 hard games. A handful of those were game crashes. I noticed you can definitely easily learn the AI spawn/flown on certain maps. My Ion is almost fully leveled

The lightning ball anti-titan weapon loving owns when there's like 10 nuke titans going down a line and you launch it just barely enough away that it grazes them all :cabot:

It's pretty much 3D titanfall 2 tower defense and I love it

Things I like in FD:

Thunderbolt
C4
Perk that lowers grenade cooldowns
Grapple hook

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The design of Rise is really good, like a desert facility under the sand.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 29, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Awesome round of F_D with Aaronburr and PB Army. Morter titans and plasma drones created a snowball effect on Stage 3 and we couldn't get the shield to go back up. Ended the round with 2% hp on the harvester. Things were looking pretty grim but we actually managed to turn it around and finish the next two Stages without the shield dropping. :rock:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Anyone wanna do insane FD on ps4

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm gonna be playing for most of the night starting now. Does double XP apply to weapons and Titans or just character level? Also would be willing to get taught in the way of Frontier Defense if anyone has a group, PSN Phorrum.

Edit: Looking at the matchmaking menu, there only seems to be 2xp for Rise 24/7, FD and 1v1? Or does it work on everything, menu ain't clear.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

My new tactic is sticking the assault chip on Tone, and sitting it in some position near the harvester while I run around with the charge rifle and softball being an rear end in a top hat.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Being able to toggle the TF1 music on is loving amazing by the way and it's a shame that they apparently forgot to include the toggle in the console versions because this poo poo's making me nostalgic as gently caress

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Wow they released new stuff on the store. I can't decide between buying a prime titan bundle or the weapon camos. Although I feel like $5 is kinda much for a single camo, since I wouldn't even pay that for the Titan customization even with nose art thrown in.

Oh I just realized the weapon camos come with XP bonus? What the ever living gently caress.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Dumb question, has the double XP weekend started yet?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

Dumb question, has the double XP weekend started yet?

yes

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

sweet. anyone on pc that wants to play master/insane FD add me: talk_show_ghost. i'll carry anyone as long as they don't have an annoying voice.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Welp I just found out Pyre is out so instead of buying prime titans or weapon camos I'm gonna go play Pyre y'all.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ularg posted:

Welp I just found out Pyre is out so instead of buying prime titans or weapon camos I'm gonna go play Pyre y'all.

That's a mistake. Nothing like charging a laser core and destroying 7 titans lined up in F_D.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Guillermus posted:

That's a mistake. Nothing like charging a laser core and destroying 7 titans lined up in F_D.

I can do that without a prime titan, thank you! (I will be playing more FD this weekend, I'm just trying to get the last bit out of Destiny before moving on)

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

man the aim on FD autotitans is ridiculous sometimes.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AdeptBrownArmadillo-mobile.mp4

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
LOL at how casually he just aims in your direction, fires and then goes back to staring off into space.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Before I play FD I preemptively copy a notepad document that says "KILL THE MORTARS".

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I've been playing a lot of Frontier Defense and i feel the most important thing to note is that Droz and Davis totally gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I would give anything to play a different faction once in a while