Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Calling people white knights is sexist now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It's the white knights who were sexist, but a different kind of sexist than the sexists they argued against.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah right yes that makes more sense, I was having trouble following.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Under the new alt-right definition, any man that defends a woman from their harassment or bullshit claims is white knighting now though.

e: Or even women in general. Or refutes their anti-feminism 'facts'.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

If you're a man and you say anything positive or even neutral about women, plural or singular, its a pathetic ploy to get laid.

Another striking endorsement of male character from the alt-right

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Weldon Pemberton posted:

If you're a man and you say anything positive or even neutral about women, plural or singular, its a pathetic ploy to get laid.

Another striking endorsement of male character from the alt-right

I mean, treating women with basic courtesy and dignity does seem to be an effective way to get laid. So the real question is why they don't at least try doing it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's the same concept as virtue signalling. conservatives can't imagine you care about someone other than yourself or immediately related to you so if you defend someone who isn't a straight (cishet) white male you must have some ulterior motive. it can't be pure empathy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think when alt-right people call others white knights it's yet another example of projection. They can't imagine why anyone would say those things for any reason other than trying to get laid, so they assume that others must also have the same motivations.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP4k0Snmvns&t=323s

~ White is good, Knight is good. White Knight is extra good ~ Oblivion NPC The Golden One 2k17

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I didn't know about the broader White Knight definition. Hm, thank you.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Visidan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP4k0Snmvns&t=323s

~ White is good, Knight is good. White Knight is extra good ~ Oblivion NPC The Golden One 2k17

And also Hitler would never leave sexually degrading comments to a woman on Instagram.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I've heard that Totalbiscuit has a reputation for being supportive of gamergate, and I saw him interviewed by Pakman, but he seems to actually care about the so-called "ethics and journalism" and not the poo poo that Sargon, Vox Day, and such complain about.

Unless I'm mistaken?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Mr Interweb posted:

I've heard that Totalbiscuit has a reputation for being supportive of gamergate, and I saw him interviewed by Pakman, but he seems to actually care about the so-called "ethics and journalism" and not the poo poo that Sargon, Vox Day, and such complain about.

Unless I'm mistaken?

It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure he was one of the "Anita Sarkeesian is still alive and un-raped despite all the threats, therefore she's a drama queen" guys. He wasn't like an active ringleader, but he was incredibly callous, and his prominence made it a big deal to both sides. Also because of this, his lovely opinions would set the dregs of his fan base to harassing someone, and his response was "I'm not in charge of them, I'm just saying my piece." Combined with his weird robot opinions about what game reviews should be like, it made him very sympathetic to GamerGate, even though he tried to act like he was a Just Asking Questions Neutral Party.

He's no Milo or Cernovich, nor is he a Sargon, but he's still kind of a poo poo.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 29, 2017

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

Unless I'm mistaken?

He was considered "controversial" in simpler times before trump and the alt right etc. Back when drama in the gaming community came from a certain game reviewer giving a low score or what ever. It all seems very quaint now.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
TB is your more typical sort of pseudo-intellectual, self-important manbaby.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

Unless I'm mistaken?

It's true that he supports GG as some kind of anti-corruption group but he's also not so stupid that he can't see that GG is not really anything to do with that. He's just being a giant disingenuous twat. He absolutely hates the "gaming media" like Kotaku and Polygon and all that so GG is a means to and end for him and drat all the evil they promote. He's not a nazi, he's just a basic everyday dickhead.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jippa posted:

He was considered "controversial" in simpler times before trump and the alt right etc. Back when drama in the gaming community came from a certain game reviewer giving a low score or what ever. It all seems very quaint now.

He was the start of the whole 60fps debacle, where he'd send his followers to harass devs who didn't make their games unlock to 60fps on PC, including all the indie stuff that it would make very little difference in. It was a simpler time, but the dude was also a massive tool. I think part of his acting better comes from understand his mortality, given that he has terminal cancer and won't be around in a year or two. But he still hasn't really said he was wrong since he can't lose the money they brought in, so lots of people still rightly poo poo on him.

There are a lot of people pushing actual ethics in game journalism while being supportive of the victims of gamergate, so it's not like he's off in this special position of actually trying to hold gaming companies responsible or anything. Hell, he does way less with that than people who have less views, because to some extent he can't afford to piss his fanbase off.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

SteelMentor posted:

TB is your more typical sort of pseudo-intellectual, self-important manbaby.

That is exactly what he is, and the fact that people still take him seriously after the weirdest and worst pseudo-intellectual rant I've ever read is something that boggles my mind to this day. And I still don't quite get why he thought this rant was a suitable fit for SA, I thought he would have been clever enough to realise that hating on rants like that is pretty much bread-and-butter for SA, especially in 2007.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2634792

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's true that he supports GG as some kind of anti-corruption group but he's also not so stupid that he can't see that GG is not really anything to do with that. He's just being a giant disingenuous twat. He absolutely hates the "gaming media" like Kotaku and Polygon and all that so GG is a means to and end for him and drat all the evil they promote. He's not a nazi, he's just a basic everyday dickhead.

Yeah, this is the issue with all the hatred of mainstream media of all types. It's a move to make information dispersal less centralized, and thus less accountable. If say the NYT put out the Pizzagate story, they'd be sued into oblivion for libel, and rightly so. But disperse your information on a peer to peer medium like reddit with "free speech activist" ringleaders, and suddenly you're unaccountable for your libel. The groundling morons who complain about the mainstream media are simple hacks who just want the level of cultural dissemination without any of the responsibility.

I'd say that discussing this kind of element with the enthusiast media of games journalism is overkill, but look at the stuff that's come out of the unaccountable side of games culture. Say what you want about Kotaku, but they don't around doing hit pieces on women who work at major gaming companies for spurious reasons-- see the whole Bravely Second "controversy" for a recent non-GG attempt to push women out of the industry.

oscarthewilde posted:

That is exactly what he is, and the fact that people still take him seriously after the weirdest and worst pseudo-intellectual rant I've ever read is something that boggles my mind to this day. And I still don't quite get why he thought this rant was a suitable fit for SA, I thought he would have been clever enough to realise that hating on rants like that is pretty much bread-and-butter for SA, especially in 2007.

Someone posted this earlier, and I didn't make the connection that it was the real TB doing that. Man is that guy huffing his own farts-- anti-atheism is basically 100% as insufferable as New Atheism from all my interactions with it. Stupid pre-modern thinking that doesn't accept basics like logical positivism (which TB denies about halfway through his rant, with his "a God could exist" garbage) doesn't have a place in a world that's only been able to advance technologically as far as it has on the basis of that principle.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
EDIT: Double post.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 29, 2017

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I believe Total Biscuit sorta 'made up' with a mod, or a former mod, of Let's Play, whose name escapes me at the moment.

Who What Now posted:

I mean, treating women with basic courtesy and dignity does seem to be an effective way to get laid. So the real question is why they don't at least try doing it.

They are of course above such base behaviours. It's like those facebook posts that complain about "here's how the poors GAME the system" and then detail several things people can do to earn government assistance. When asked why don't they do it if it's so easy, they just clam up.

vv yeah well people take "PewDiePie" seriously now, catch up with the youths, gramps

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 29, 2017

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I find it hard to take seriously someone who calls themself, "TotalBiscuit, the Cynical Brit"

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

rkajdi posted:

Someone posted this earlier, and I didn't make the connection that it was the real TB doing that. Man is that guy huffing his own farts-- anti-atheism is basically 100% as insufferable as New Atheism from all my interactions with it. Stupid pre-modern thinking that doesn't accept basics like logical positivism (which TB denies about halfway through his rant, with his "a God could exist" garbage) doesn't have a place in a world that's only been able to advance technologically as far as it has on the basis of that principle.

His rant is stupid as hell, but I don't think you mean "logical positivism" here. Unless it has another meaning in religious argument that I'm not familiar with, that term refers to a specific and pretty much dead philosophical theory from the 1920s. "Burden of proof" maybe?

toanoradian posted:

They are of course above such base behaviours. It's like those facebook posts that complain about "here's how the poors GAME the system" and then detail several things people can do to earn government assistance. When asked why don't they do it if it's so easy, they just clam up.

Sometimes they go "yeah, maybe I will!" And then they go to prison for fraud somehow :iiam:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
We should mix-n-match the pantheon of misunderstood philosophical/theoretical concepts from the Internet Opinionverse.

Logical Marxism. Cultural Positivism.

New Signalling. Virtue Atheism.

Third Warrior Feminism.

Justicism is Marx Plus Positivism.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Goon Danton posted:

His rant is stupid as hell, but I don't think you mean "logical positivism" here. Unless it has another meaning in religious argument that I'm not familiar with, that term refers to a specific and pretty much dead philosophical theory from the 1920s. "Burden of proof" maybe?

Logical positivism is the idea that the base condition is things not existing. So acting like it's logical to say "Well, it's logically possible to for a god to exist" without proof and then using more logic to tell you about it is about as smart as "Well, it's logically possible there's just this stuff called ether" without proof and going from there. It's sort of the basis for science, since you can't just start claiming that things exist without proof. The whole thing could be that I follow materialism, so I don't see any of these things outside physical reality as being real in the first place.

I'm not even saying that faith in a god is something you can't have, but acting like you can logically prove or disprove god is something philosophy gave up on awhile ago. It's simply wankery without any point.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

rkajdi posted:

Logical positivism is the idea that the base condition is things not existing. So acting like it's logical to say "Well, it's logically possible to for a god to exist" without proof and then using more logic to tell you about it is about as smart as "Well, it's logically possible there's just this stuff called ether" without proof and going from there. It's sort of the basis for science, since you can't just start claiming that things exist without proof. The whole thing could be that I follow materialism, so I don't see any of these things outside physical reality as being real in the first place.

What? No, that's...that's the...no. Where did you get..what?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Discendo Vox posted:

What? No, that's...that's the...no. Where did you get..what?

OK, I'm not a philosopher, and I'm using terms as they were used around me. What exactly is the right term for stating the the default position is things not existing, instead of existing? I think there's a thought experiment about a teapot orbiting the earth that shows the latter to be fundamentally flawed. The reasoning there was always explained as logical positivism.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

The teapot is called Russell's Teapot, and what you're describing sounds like the null hypothesis maybe?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Goon Danton posted:

The teapot is called Russell's Teapot, and what you're describing sounds like the null hypothesis maybe?

The null hypothesis only covers science, though. I'm talking about that idea extended into general thought.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Regarde Aduck posted:

Has he ever said anything about his friend Dodger being stalked and harassed by a member of GG? You'd think that would keep him from saying supportive things about GG.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

rkajdi posted:

The null hypothesis only covers science, though. I'm talking about that idea extended into general thought.

Does it? I thought that could be used in general philosophy.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I mean, once you start applying it to abstract concepts, you have to apply it to itself, and :aaaaa:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The problem with materialism and logical positivism (and some other types of empiricism) is that it really turns to poo poo when you try to apply it to emergent or self definitional sociological phenomena, because the observer is squarely part of the system they are trying to observe, there's no 'God's eye view' like with a controlled experiment.

That's why you get trad Marxists with bad opinions about trans people, or the New Atheists 'rationals' saying "ethnicity is self defined? I'll self define as an oppressed Kekistani, lol.", and why the bulk of critical theory is antipositivist in outlook.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OwlFancier posted:

Does it? I thought that could be used in general philosophy.

I've only ever dealt with the null hypothesis as a strict math thing.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

Discendo Vox posted:

We should mix-n-match the pantheon of misunderstood philosophical/theoretical concepts from the Internet Opinionverse.

Third Warrior Feminism.

I want to be a new signaling logical marxist.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

dialectical post-rationalist, checking in

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
National Social Justist

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

oscarthewilde posted:

Why does he have one post in 2016, what the gently caress

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Discendo Vox posted:

Third Warrior Feminism.

Virtue Atheism sounds like the whole "when you think about it, religion causes most of the suffering in the world, if people were just smart and stopped being Christians and Muslims and Jews..." poo poo.

Third Warrior Feminism sounds badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Social Juche Warriors

• Locked thread