Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Combat Pretzel posted:

To be honest, seeing that LG Tone+ and that Sol Rep. Shadows, I'm surprised people made fun a while ago of these weird-rear end Sony ones with the big rear end case behind the ears. How is that worse than this neck thing?

The neck thing just kind of sits there so if you have any kind of collar on your shirt it's unnoticeable unless you need to wear it into meetings and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

hooah posted:

I have a Pixel and a pair of AYL QY8 bluetooth earphones. I sometimes have problems with playing music over the 'phones; I'll turn them on and they'll say they're connected (and the phone agrees), but when I hit play on Google Play Music, sound comes out of the phone's speakers. Eventually turning the earphones off and on a few times will fix it, but that's obviously a lovely workaround. Should I blame the phone or AYL?

I also have a set of chinaphones, go to the Bluetooth settings and click the gear next to the name, make sure media audio is checked. Uncheck and recheck it if it is, it's p much definitely not the fault of the phone

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Moto X4 pricing leaked as €350 in Europe ($410) us for the 32gb model. That's lower than most have expected and leaves very little room for the G5S and G5S Plus in the product lineup.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I remember the Nexus 5 being LG made and was a very nice phone until I got the bootloop bug and slamming its side didn't fix it
So if LG's making the new Pixel, does it bode well for the phone's quality?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Look at it another way.

HTC has been notorious for camera issues in their devices. Pixel has been trouble free.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

I have those and they are the cheapest, shittiest pieces of poo poo I've ever used. Straight up Engrish all over the box, sound horrible, work worse, and cost like $20. Not that I don't believe Google could gently caress up anything but come on, it's not the phone this time.

If you want another pair that's only ever been out of the box once, I'll ship them to you for shipping costs.

Haha, thanks, but I'm already on my second pair after talking with their warranty department. I'm not expecting a whole lot since they are cheap, but inconsistency is the worst. My phone will be sitting on my desk and I'll hear the "out of range" message for no reason.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Calaveron posted:

I remember the Nexus 5 being LG made and was a very nice phone until I got the bootloop bug and slamming its side didn't fix it
So if LG's making the new Pixel, does it bode well for the phone's quality?

The answer is "we don't know yet." LG is clearly aware of the issues with bootlooping on their previous devices and seems to have at least hinted at fixing it with promises of "increased reliability" in the G6's pre-release marketing spiel. Bull also has a good point in that a lot of HTC's manufacturing quirks seem to have been ironed out of the Pixel's manufacturing process so it's not unfair to say that Google will be exerting pressure to enforce a similar level of quality assurance from LG. They'll also be taking direct ownership of the warranty instead of leaving it up to LG so if something does inevitably go wrong at least you can expect a relatively painless replacement process.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So screen size and $120 is the only difference between the Pixel and XL right? And the Pixel is a phone that will still be super good for at least a year and a half right?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Calaveron posted:

So screen size and $120 is the only difference between the Pixel and XL right? And the Pixel is a phone that will still be super good for at least a year and a half right?

Battery is better on XL, though still good on normal. And yeah, it'll keep being good.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Also, Google Assistant/identify song gripe incoming...

Stock Verizon Pixel on latest version.

So, first, this is the dumbest. "Ok Google, what song is playing" gives me this:

Fine. Hitting the Pixel launcher search bar microphone and saying "what song is playing" starts the identification properly:

Then upon identifying it, gives me a blank screen:

Note that this is not what it does if it fails to identify. In that case, it pops up the proper "could not identify" screen. Also, sometimes but not always, if I open up the app switcher, the artist/song will be in the "title" of that tile in the switcher. If I uninstall updates to the Google app, song identifying works properly, but once it updates again, it no longer works.

Any ideas?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Calaveron posted:

I have the Pixel, my wife has the Pixel XL. Battery life is very very close in real world usage. The phones are identical internally except the xl has a higher resolution.

I am still very glad I got the smaller one. ymmv

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Also, Google Assistant/identify song gripe incoming...

Any ideas?

Yeah, they broke it.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I have the Pixel, my wife has the Pixel XL. Battery life is very very close in real world usage. The phones are identical internally except the xl has a higher resolution.

I am still very glad I got the smaller one. ymmv

I've found the opposite. I have the XL, girlfriend has the Pixel, and my XL seems to go much farther than hers even though I set my screen timeout to five minutes and stopped caring about battery life.

I'll admit I never thought I'd prefer a big phone but I couldn't go back if I tried.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 29, 2017

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LastInLine posted:

Yeah, they broke it.

And they still haven't brought back QR scanner functionality to Assistant either, forcing everyone to keep using Goggles, a program which has not seen an update in years.

Google'd.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Yeah, they broke it.

Ok, good to know. I tried searching for it, but was either not using the right keywords or it hasn't gotten much/any comment. Oh well.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kerning Chameleon posted:

And they still haven't brought back QR scanner functionality to Assistant either, forcing everyone to keep using Goggles, a program which has not seen an update in years.

Google'd.

Minor things like this are what Google is the worst at doing. These are two functions that are exactly what Assistant should do perfectly because 1) they're easy to do and 2) they're small enough that you shouldn't have to have a dedicated app to do them and 3) they're stuff you generally want to do quickly and without warning. It's exactly these details that when users encounter them, turn them off to the Assistant altogether, after all if it can't do the simple things why trust it to anything more complex?

Is there a third-party camera which doesn't do native QR reading? Not that it shouldn't be available using Assistant but the fact that it's not there either is really lovely.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

Yeah, they broke it.

I've found the opposite. I have the XL, girlfriend has the Pixel, and my XL seems to go much farther than hers even though I set my screen timeout to five minutes and stopped caring about battery life.

I'll admit I never thought I'd prefer a big phone but I couldn't go back if I tried.

The XL definitely has better battery life but all the tests I've found show a maybe 30 minute difference if running HD games for six hours at max brightness. I do like the large screen when I use hers but find the difficulty in reaching the other end of the screen to not be worth it (and I'm 6'4" so hand size isn't the issue). I have no clue why I can't get used to it.

LastInLine posted:

Minor things like this are what Google is the worst at doing.

I have a Google home in my living room. If I am in the living room and have my phone with me and say "OK Google, call Jerry" the Google Home "overtakes" my phone just to tell me it's not capable of making phone calls. Then let my phone do it instead of canceling the command! Or just let me change the trigger word for the Home so it's different for the phone!

I could have sworn an older Google phone I had let me make my own trigger phrase but they removed that option for some reason (because Google). But seriously this is so minor yet so dumb that they messed up like you said.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 29, 2017

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Google'd.

Pictures of people scanning QR codes

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Google'd.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.zxing.client.android

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Finally gave up on hope that my 2013 MotoX (on Verizon) was ever going to get a similarly sized upgrade (sorely wished for one of the mini Xperias...) and swapped to a Pixel.

While it's certainly nice to be on a modern clean Android, the extra size seriously makes a huge difference in one handed operation. I can almost feel the future carpal tunnel setting in just typing this out with one hand.

Bah. Did they really need these gigantic bezels?

lurksion fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 29, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just use it with two hands like everyone else

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Yeah I get that's where pretty much everything is headed. gently caress all of ya preferences and cater to me damnit.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The XL definitely has better battery life but all the tests I've found show a maybe 30 minute difference if running HD games for six hours at max brightness. I do like the large screen when I use hers but find the difficulty in reaching the other end of the screen to not be worth it (and I'm 6'4" so hand size isn't the issue). I have no clue why I can't get used to it.

lurksion posted:

Finally gave up on hope that my 2013 MotoX (on Verizon) was ever going to get a similarly sized upgrade (sorely wished for one of the mini Xperias...) and swapped to a Pixel.

While it's certainly nice to be on a modern clean Android, the extra size seriously makes a huge difference in one handed operation. I can almost feel the future carpal tunnel setting in just typing this out with one hand.

Bah. Did they really need these gigantic bezels?

Can you guys just not get used to the pinky shelf?

I have a Google home in my living room. If I am in the living room and have my phone with me and say "OK Google, call Jerry" the Google Home "overtakes" my phone just to tell me it's not capable of making phone calls. Then let my phone do it instead of canceling the command! Or just let me change the trigger word for the Home so it's different for the phone!

I could have sworn an older Google phone I had let me make my own trigger phrase but they removed that option for some reason (because Google). But seriously this is so minor yet so dumb that they messed up like you said.

Home is supposed to get dialing capabilities soon so that problem is at least being worked on. No details on implementation though so watch it be only through Voice on Fi or something bizarre like that.

No Google phone has ever let you change the trigger word.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

bull3964 posted:

Moto X4 pricing leaked as €350 in Europe ($410) us for the 32gb model. That's lower than most have expected and leaves very little room for the G5S and G5S Plus in the product lineup.

:getin:

That's about what I was expecting it to launch at, I'm down. Give me the MXP 2.0, Motorola

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Wish I could review Play store. It's awful how just scrolling down a little deletes anything I've written in the review box.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hate the Play store reviews. Every single app has some Indian guy complaining about how the app is crashing on his Samsung SJ2 whateverthefuck phone running Android 4.122

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mu Zeta posted:

I hate the Play store reviews. Every single app has some Indian guy complaining about how the app is crashing on his Samsung SJ2 whateverthefuck phone running Android 4.122

Just select reviews for your device model. It should probably be default but it's nbd

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

Home is supposed to get dialing capabilities soon so that problem is at least being worked on. No details on implementation though so watch it be only through Voice on Fi or something bizarre like that.

No Google phone has ever let you change the trigger word.

I do the pinky shelf thing. The problem I have is the pain I get from stretching out my ring finger to grab it on the side.

And I am 99% sure my Droid Mini let me change the "OK Google" phrase unless by Google phone you meant Nexus and Pixels only then I'm sure that's likely. But the Droid Mini was practically stock and let you do it.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 29, 2017

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Try "Hey, Google" to talk to the home only. No such trick though to only talk to the phone. Of course, since they made the assistant useless without enabling voice unlock I don't really use the hotword with my phone anyway these days.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That's a Moto thing.

(edit, this was meant for the post about the Droid two above.)

LastInLine posted:

I use pinky shelf, but it constantly feels like my 5x is going to tip forward out of my hand if I do anything more than stand in one place and scroll.

My 2014 Moto X was just a tad smaller, but the CG felt much lower and thus more stable.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Bunch of people with Trump hands itt

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yes, but I'm not self conscious about it. I've never had a problem with them, believe me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Not sure if using a trusted device to unlock your phone is a Nougat or an LG thing, but it's mighty convenient.

Just one more reason to cut the 3.5mm cord.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It's built into Android. I think it predates Nougat, even.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Trusted Bluetooth device is an Android native thing. But I don't like the idea of headphones being an unlock device. Sure, I trust the device, but since I would often leave the phone and headset together, for instance in my backpack, they could get stolen together. I've moaned a lot about losing the good WiFi unlock functionality (3rd party apps used some API Google later removed), but the fingerprint reader on the G5 Plus is so fast and reliable, it takes the same effort as turning on the screen of an unlocked phone, so the entire need for zone unlocking is gone.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Uthor posted:

It's built into Android. I think it predates Nougat, even.

Fair enough. My phone predates fingerprinting, so I never saw the point of locking a phone. :v:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yeah, people shouldn't be using Google for QR scanning, they should be using this:

I can't remember where now, but in some app or some page Google even recommends this app.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Ok so my pixel xl should be delivered around the time I go back home and this time I got a decent case I'm not taking off so the phone won't get smashed when I invariably drop it like a dumb poo poo

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, people shouldn't be using Google for QR scanning, they should be using this:

I can't remember where now, but in some app or some page Google even recommends this app.

Why does it need to know who my contacts are?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Android.SendMsgToAllContacts("$USER just unlocked a new achievement: Scan your first QR code! Join in the fun at play.google.com/dhrsvtriyegyevirfhft5hf");

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One of the most common uses of QR codes is to convey contact information.

So yeah, no idea why it's asking for access to contacts.