Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

D.N. Nation posted:

And yet you voted for him, and will vote for him again. GTFO.

Also, lol that Garrison. Trannies! C'mon, Ben, drop an n-bomb.

I am 100% convinced that somewhere out there, there is a tape of Trump saying the n-word, and if it ever gets released, Garrison would immediately incorporate it into every comic so as to pretend that it's not a horribly racist thing to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Pakled posted:

I am 100% convinced that somewhere out there, there is a tape of Trump saying the n-word, and if it ever gets released, Garrison would immediately incorporate it into every comic so as to pretend that it's not a horribly racist thing to say.

Trump: "N-word."
Thug black dude throwing a molotov cocktail: "H-h-h-h-how dare he!"
Trump: "NOT AN ARGUMENT!"
Crying SJW with pink hair and piercings: "H-h-h-he's a bigot!"
Trump: "NOT AN ARGUMENT!"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pakled posted:

“I have the outtakes to The Apprentice where he says every bad thing ever, every offensive, racist thing ever. It was him sitting in that chair saying the N-word, saying the C-word, calling his son a retard, just being so mean to his own children,” Arnold told the Seattle-based radio station KIRO.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Besides all the other horrible poo poo in that Garrison comic people have commented on, it strikes me once again that he doesn't have a single independent thought in his head. I guarantee you that a week ago he didn't give a poo poo about transgender troops in the military, but the moment Trump says it's bad Garrison's mind immediately incorporates this newfound opinion, and now suddenly it's a pressing issue that he must leap to defend the Supreme Leader on from any criticism.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on political turmoil in the UK and US – Some welcome the prospect of decline in Britain and the US. They should be careful what they wish for"

Telegraph:

While May's away: Hammond leads cabinet reshuffle on Brexit policy

Independent:

After Gilbert Stuart.

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Garrison apparently drew this on the 25th but didn't tweet about it so I missed it. It's on only one of his three blogs but I don't recognize it as old :shrug:

Garrison posted:

The stock market bear is hungry. His fangs are out, but the stock market has a fang, too. FANG consists of Facebook, Amazon, Netflix and Goog—all of which have made fantastic gains during the current bull run. These stocks are bloated pigs, but the bear continues to be thwarted.

Since its tragic inception in 1913, the Federal Reserve has made sure we got plenty of war and bubbles, including more recently the Internet Bubble, the Housing Bubble and now we have the current bull market. Some are calling it ‘the greatest bubble ever.’

When will the bull market collapse? Some say this year, but we’ve heard that every year since the last drop. The doom and gloomers continue to get it wrong. People such as Martin Armstrong, who is predicting the market will double again from here, continues to get it right. The technicals show weaker pullbacks and smaller gains on lower volume. The signs point to a blowoff top and that is attracting a lot of short interest, but many traders have already shorted the market and individual stocks again and again, only to get burned over and over again. The bear remains very hungry.

-Ben Garrison

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ah yes, everyone knows there were no panics or bubbles before the invention of the nefarious Federal Reserve.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Ramirez might like politicizing deaths even more than crosshatching or debt.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

So McCain is a face again?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Ah, yes. Government-run healthcare can't magically fix rare conditions that cause hideous brain damage and suffering, therefore private health care which can't do that either but will gladly bankrupt you in the process is better?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Keiya posted:

Ah, yes. Government-run healthcare can't magically fix rare conditions that cause hideous brain damage and suffering, therefore private health care which can't do that either but will gladly bankrupt you in the process is better?

But where's the profit in the former???

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Keiya posted:

Clearly the child must live on in suffering so private industry can run tests and produce a cure 100 years in the future that no one will be able to afford! There is no hell on earth greater than being born into being a political bargaining chip.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Keiya posted:

Well you see private health care would have come up with a treatment if they didn't have to pay taxes. Checkmate, idiot.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I was told that they wouldn't let the parents move the child to the US where we had doctors ready to attempt treatment, and that the cost of that were covered, but the evil nhs were stopping them because they are mad with power.

I don't actually know why they wouldn't at least allow them to try so I wasn't able to refute it. Can someone help me out?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keiya posted:

Something so evil that a common complaint is that people keep on coming to the UK in part so that they could have access to it.

itskage posted:

I was told that they wouldn't let the parents move the child to the US where we had doctors ready to attempt treatment, and that the cost of that were covered, but the evil nhs were stopping them because they are mad with power.

I don't actually know why they wouldn't at least allow them to try so I wasn't able to refute it. Can someone help me out?

You mean besides the fact that the baby had no future as its body had already all but failed?

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Trogdos! posted:

Garrison apparently drew this on the 25th but didn't tweet about it so I missed it. It's on only one of his three blogs but I don't recognize it as old :shrug:

:capitalism:
I will never understand how Garrison is so gung-ho about the free market yet hates the people who benefit the most from it.

I see Ramirez is fighting hard to regain his status as "The Worst".

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Begemot posted:

Ah yes, everyone knows there were no panics or bubbles before the invention of the nefarious Federal Reserve.

I would like to take this opportunity to mention that one of the first economic bubbles was literally flowers and flower futures.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Hunt11 posted:

You mean besides the fact that the baby had no future as its body had already all but failed?

Yeah, to be clear I don't know much about it or what the disease was. This was from a family member telling me and for all I know the US treatment is just right wing propaganda. Hence why I'm asking.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

K-kelly?

DallaDalla
Jan 24, 2006
HollaHolla!

itskage posted:

IIRC, it was that they NHS alerted the government that this was not in the best interest of the child, which would, no doubt, suffer horribly throughout the transfer to the US where there was a treatment available that had never been tried on a patient with that condition.

So basically, they compared it to the most benign form of child abuse; the pain/suffering the baby would endure if forced to keep living in order for an attempt at an unproven and risky treatment be made on the other side of an ocean vastly outweighed the likelihood of success, according to the UK courts, and they ruled against the parents.

The doctors in the US, at best, were offering a lottery ticket to desperate parents, and, at worst, were dealing in snake oil.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

itskage posted:

Yeah, to be clear I don't know much about it or what the disease was. This was from a family member telling me and for all I know the US treatment is just right wing propaganda. Hence why I'm asking.

It came up in another thread. I don't know *what* he had, but the doctor in the US had a treatment for a lesser condition, which from what I understand. Wouldn't have helped Charlie, especially since he was already to far gone. That and getting life support onto a plane, somehow.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

It's a Walking Dead joke, in case you're wondering why Collins is depicted as a black woman.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Good thing every :dings: is saved by our capitalist wonderland! :)

HealthSystemTracker posted:

U.S. infant mortality rates appear to be about 42 percent higher than the comparable country average. Looking into specific measures of infant mortality, it also appears that the U.S. has about 66 percent more neonatal deaths (deaths which occur less than 28 days after birth) than the comparable country average. From 2000 to 2013, neonatal deaths decreased by 13 percent in the U.S. and by 23 percent in comparable OECD countries.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

DallaDalla posted:

IIRC, it was that they NHS alerted the government that this was not in the best interest of the child, which would, no doubt, suffer horribly throughout the transfer to the US where there was a treatment available that had never been tried on a patient with that condition.

So basically, they compared it to the most benign form of child abuse; the pain/suffering the baby would endure if forced to keep living in order for an attempt at an unproven and risky treatment be made on the other side of an ocean vastly outweighed the likelihood of success, according to the UK courts, and they ruled against the parents.

The doctors in the US, at best, were offering a lottery ticket to desperate parents, and, at worst, were dealing in snake oil.

Also the fact that even if they had overcome all of that, and even if the experimental treatment worked exactly as advertised, Gard still would have had irreversible brain damage severe enough that he would in all likelihood never be fully conscious, and that he would still probably have passed in a relatively short timeframe anyway. The treatment was just to get the mitochondrial disorder sorted out, it would not have done anything to reverse damage already done.

It's worth noting that UK law differs from US law a bit in terms of the rights of parents; in the UK, the best interest of the child is independent of parental wishes or control, as I understand it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Keiya posted:

It's Terri Shaivo all over again.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

itskage posted:

You were unable to refute a claim that the NHS kills children for shits and giggles?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Good thing every :dings: is saved by our capitalist wonderland! :)

Using this argument invariably gets me a morally outraged response about other countries fudging the numbers by counting "infant mortality" differently than the US.

But apparently that doesn't count when talking about why Sweden has a higher rate of reported sexual assault. Because reasons.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

A child allowed to finally rest in peace rather than being kept alive artificially with wires and tubes attached and in pain with no hope of recovery to live anything even resembling a normal and fulfilling life.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DallaDalla posted:

Also the doctor that proposed the treatment had financial interest in it.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

DallaDalla posted:

Also, the hospital in the UK actually wanted to try an experimental treatment - it had a nontrivial chance of working, and it'd be useful information for future babies if it failed - and they were getting ready for it when Charlie had a bunch of seizures that badly damaged his brain. At that point, they argued it'd needlessly prolong his suffering.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

gently caress Ramirez. Prick. I hope his hands fall off

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Selachian posted:

It's a Walking Dead joke, in case you're wondering why Collins is depicted as a black woman.

I thought this was supposed to be 'they're killing americans', and was rather confused why it made them look incredibly badass for a moment.

This thread has rotted my brain and I am incapable of not seeing regressive interpretations, help.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

This reminds me of that story about some mother who had a baby with anencephaly (or something similar in so far as the child was born with effectively no brain). I think it was either a longish running thread watching the shitshow or a Weekend Web.

Basically: The kid was destined to die, but because it lasted longer than a conservative estimate given by the doctors the Mother assumed the doctors were wrong and her perfect baby was going to be just fine.

And then she just collapsed into insanity as her self delusion couldn't keep up with her kid finally dying.

The situation itself isn't the same, but I see the behavior of the audiences on the sidelines as very similar. It didn't matter what the facts of the case were, people just jumped onto whatever hand hold they could for their personal narratives.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I keep looking, but I can't find the Korner Kelly... :(

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

You could change that to "The Face of Market-Run Health Care" and nothing would change except the stacks of bills you'd have to draw everywhere.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Garrison posted:

The stock market bear is hungry. His fangs are out, but the stock market has a fang, too. FANG consists of Facebook, Amazon, Netflix and Goog—all of which have made fantastic gains during the current bull run. These stocks are bloated pigs, but the bear continues to be thwarted.

Since its tragic inception in 1913, the Federal Reserve has made sure we got plenty of war and bubbles, including more recently the Internet Bubble, the Housing Bubble and now we have the current bull market. Some are calling it ‘the greatest bubble ever.’

When will the bull market collapse? Some say this year, but we’ve heard that every year since the last drop. The doom and gloomers continue to get it wrong. People such as Martin Armstrong, who is predicting the market will double again from here, continues to get it right. The technicals show weaker pullbacks and smaller gains on lower volume. The signs point to a blowoff top and that is attracting a lot of short interest, but many traders have already shorted the market and individual stocks again and again, only to get burned over and over again. The bear remains very hungry.

-Ben Garrison

The number of wars and financial bubbles have almost certainly decreased since 1913, right?

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

• Locked thread