Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Ak Gara posted:

Really wishing we could sell/buy engineered modules.

or trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Why did I think that 10 painite was a grind. Bill Turner wants loving 50 Bromellite :cripes:

This was the worst grind for me. :hfive:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

This was the worst grind for me. :hfive:

I managed it after playing pretty much all day. Took a good long while just to find a really good system with a close by station but I found one eventually. Took hours to get the first 30 then I got incredibly lucky with multiple 15% bromellite asteroids in a row and got the last 20 in about 30 minutes. Don't think I'm going to be grinding out any more of the engineers, the only reason I wanted to unlock Lori was grade 4 lightweight life support but Bill can do grade 3 and I didn't have to get elite rank for that so gently caress it.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I'm in the top 75% of a community goal, is the cg across all platforms because I haven't really done much...

6 mil plus bounties tho

If you're just doing bounties is there any reason you can't team up with a friend for shooties?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I think the whole game is cross platform.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I think the whole game is cross platform.

The BGS is cross-platform, but there's no cross-play in instances.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Yay Frontier support put back my items into the cargo hold!

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES
Can some of the super-FSD-nerds comment on the non-FSD engineering/changes you make to lighten ships for long FSD jump range? I have decent rolls on the FSD 5 jump range engineering, but I'm trying to make decisions on what's easy to engineer or modules that might be easy to sacrifice for a little more distance? Maybe rank your recommendations ie first thing make your armor lightweight if you carry it, or definitely lightweight engineer your sensors next, etc..

Thanks for any help.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Mr. WTF posted:

Can some of the super-FSD-nerds comment on the non-FSD engineering/changes you make to lighten ships for long FSD jump range? I have decent rolls on the FSD 5 jump range engineering, but I'm trying to make decisions on what's easy to engineer or modules that might be easy to sacrifice for a little more distance? Maybe rank your recommendations ie first thing make your armor lightweight if you carry it, or definitely lightweight engineer your sensors next, etc..

Thanks for any help.

For really long space legs you'll want no armor, only the standard light alloys. These don't weigh anything, so you can slap heavy duty armor on them, which means you are getting more armor for no increase in weight - hard to beat! (If it's a combat ship you might want lightweight enhancement on you military grade whatever armor, but I always have my combat ships mailed to a hot zone instead of flying 200ly in my FDL).

Else it depends on the size of your modules and your priorites. All LW modifications use the same materials. Generally you should put LW on the heaviest module first.

You can, to my mind ...

(1) always use a D-rated LW life support and sensors outside of combat focussed ships. [I do have some combat dedicated ships with A rated sensors and long range enhancement for better RES-farming, but in these cases jump range is the least concern]

(1a)You should install a smaller A-rated engine and overcharge it. Don't go overboard! There's no use to an engine that'll cook you! One or two levels of overcharged are usually enough. For explorers it's often not worth it as it hampers your fuel scooping in some hot running ships.

(2) If a trader or explorer, you can use a D rated PD two sizes smaller with a grade 3 engine enhancement and still boost. If it's an explorer only, 1D is enough if you stay clear of high grav planets. I don't do it, I like boosting too much.

(3) for a trader or explorer, D rated thrusters are usually enough, you can still slap dirty drives on them.You can also install smaller engines in some cases.

(4) if you want a combat capable (not: combat specialized) long range ship you can LW your heaviest (or even all) weapons. You'll only get a small increase in firepower, but several LY range.

(5) depending on shield slot size it is also worth putting a low power shield on it. Helps to keep the powerplant smaller, too.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Mr. WTF posted:

Thanks for any help.

It's all about cutting down your ships weight. Exploring? You don't need weapons. At all. Yank those suckers off. Same goes for utility hardpoints, aside from a heatsink or two, you don't need anything.

Shields? Go with the smallest D-Rank you can find that still gives you a shield.

Power Distributor? Go with the largest D-Rank you can fit. You won't boost very often, but do you really need it?

Thrusters are a tough call. If you have zero intention of landing on any planets, you can get away with D-ranked thrusters. If you DO want to land on planets, better stick with A-Rank, as some planets have strong gravity.

Powerplants: Stick with an A Ranked plant. It has the best efficiency. But you *can* go down a size in power plant, just make sure it provides enough power to keep all your stuff running.

AFMSU and Fuel Scoops DO NOT TAKE UP ANY MASS. So never worry about plopping one of those in.

Sensors: Another tough call. If you're exploring, though, you should probably go With A-Class sensors for the longest range. You'll also need a Discovery Scanner (Advanced) and a Detailed Surface Scanner. Those are MUST HAVES for exploring.

Optional stuff would be: Planetary Vehicle Hangar for hooning around on surfaces. Great if you need to stock up on AFSMU reloads or jump range boosts. Cargo Hold if you want to bring any of the random (illegal salvage) crap you find on your journey. Not really worth it though.

And I guess you can take passengers but I don't know anything about that.

It's not the length of the jumps that influence how long it takes to do stuff while exploring, it's the Scooping and the Honking. So always fit the biggest scoop you can.

Engineering, of course, adds even more stuff you can do. You can overcharge a smaller powerplant, meaning you can use a smaller/lighter one at the expense of some heat, you can lightweight mod EVERYTHING, at the cost of durability.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Sensors aren't relevant to exploration - they only affect detection range in real space. You should go as light as possible on them.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Aethernet posted:

Sensors aren't relevant to exploration - they only affect detection range in real space. You should go as light as possible on them.

I thought they still governed how far away you could scan a stellar object? Or is that solely the job of the ADS?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I thought they still governed how far away you could scan a stellar object? Or is that solely the job of the ADS?

Nah that's for the DSS and is determined by the type and the size of the object you're trying to scan. Large gas giants can maybe be scanned at 1000ls away and planets usually <100ls. Tiny moons can be <10ls. Of course you can engineer it for range or speed depending on preference.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Solely the ADS. Lightweight those suckers.

Edit: chap above understood what you meant better than I.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Nah that's for the DSS and is determined by the type and the size of the object you're trying to scan. Large gas giants can maybe be scanned at 1000ls away and planets usually <100ls. Tiny moons can be <10ls. Of course you can engineer it for range or speed depending on preference.

That's what I was thinking of. The Detail Surface Scanner. Go for long range on that one. That way you can scan them from further away and waste less time climbing out of gravity wells. Faster Scan mod makes the range shorter, meaning you're spending time getting closer, and then even more time climbing out.

Edit: Apparently I'm not correct about the fast scanner reducing range. It should be painfully obvious that I am not an explorer! I've only left the bubble once, and that was only so I could get DD5 tuning from Palin.

P.S. I just made like 300 million cr in a weekend just having fun in a CZ. They are insanely profitable if you are, in fact, gud.

P.P.S. I did it in a vulture

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 31, 2017

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Jesus Imperial Navy promotion missions are a pain. Takes ages to find one, but then I need to be friendly with the person offering it which by the time I am, the offer is no longer there. Another time there was a mission but I needed to install a cargo rack but the station didn't have an Outfitters :argh:

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

That's what I was thinking of. The Detail Surface Scanner. Go for long range on that one. That way you can scan them from further away and waste less time climbing out of gravity wells. Faster Scan mod makes the range shorter, meaning you're spending time getting closer, and then even more time climbing out.

Edit: Apparently I'm not correct about the fast scanner reducing range. It should be painfully obvious that I am not an explorer! I've only left the bubble once, and that was only so I could get DD5 tuning from Palin.

P.S. I just made like 300 million cr in a weekend just having fun in a CZ. They are insanely profitable if you are, in fact, gud.

P.P.S. I did it in a vulture

Sure CZ's sound good, but it's like when hunting in a HazRes, you see a tasty target but he's got 3 wingmen and you're like gently caress that.

Only CZ's are like every single target has 100 wingmen. :ohdear:

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Ak Gara posted:

Sure CZ's sound good, but it's like when hunting in a HazRes, you see a tasty target but he's got 3 wingmen and you're like gently caress that.

CZs can go very wrong very quickly, but there's a few tips you can follow to help solo them:

1) Bring a serious combat ship. A-Fit and combat fit. Don't half rear end it. Don't bring your discovery scanner. Don't bring your SRV bay. If you have the means, engineer your ship as much as you can. Empty internal slots should be filled with Hull Reinforcements or Shield Cell Banks, depending on your ship. A module reinforcement or two is fine too, if you want. That will help when if your shields go down and they start making GBS threads missiles at you. And this will happen. Missiles will ruin your day if your shields go down, and the module reinforcements should keep you alive long enough to wake out.

2) Find friendly and stick with them! The big difference between a HazRES and a CZ is that in the CZ you *do* actually have allies. Typically what you'll see is that hostile and friendly ships will pair off one on one, for the most part. If you kill an enemy ship, that friendly ship will then go look for the nearest hostile ship, and go attack it. Again, usually. You can get a pretty hilarious momentum going where you kill enough enemy ships and you have a big enough ball of friendlies that you're unstoppable, and you just mop up the reinforcements as they arrive.

3) Reinforcements constantly warp in. Keep an eye on your radar. If 6 new ships jump in and you're the only hostile in range you're going to get popped really fast. The enemy ships are usually not in wings, so they're just picking you because you're the closest (or if there's other nearby) the most dangerous/threatening looking ship near by. Once they commit to a target, they won't stop attacking it until it dies, or they get attacked by something more threatening than what they're fighting. Use this to your advantage.

4) Be ready to Hi-wake (hyperspace jump) out of the system at a moment's notice. When you first drop on the CZ, pick a random nearby star and lock your navigation to it. You can do this while you're moving out of the fray and before you join a side. Also: remember to formally declare yourself on a side before wading into the battle. You pick which side you're on in the right-hand systems menu, under the Functions tab.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?

Ak Gara posted:

Jesus Imperial Navy promotion missions are a pain. Takes ages to find one, but then I need to be friendly with the person offering it which by the time I am, the offer is no longer there. Another time there was a mission but I needed to install a cargo rack but the station didn't have an Outfitters :argh:

Go to Aditi, it's one of those systems with stations with 3 factions allied to the superpower who only seem to offer data delivery missions to a single system - a lot of the missions have modular terminals as a reward as well, if you've yet to grind for Palin access

Arthur Bowlsworth fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 31, 2017

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
How much in assets and balance is enough?

Am I just too greedy when I feel the urge to do Quince missions one more time... every time?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Dwesa posted:

How much in assets and balance is enough?

Am I just too greedy when I feel the urge to do Quince missions one more time... every time?

Enough to pay your rebuy. After that it's up to you.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I ranked up in Federation and got a space email that I now have a permit to visit Sol, but the galactic map still won't let me plot a route there. Now what?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

haveblue posted:

I ranked up in Federation and got a space email that I now have a permit to visit Sol, but the galactic map still won't let me plot a route there. Now what?

Exit to menu and rejoin?

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
Does Horizons ever go on sale? It's kind of hard to tell if I can get Steam to alert me about that since I already own the base game

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Speaking of Quince, has anyone else noticed a difference in the last couple of days or have I just been really unlucky?

My SOP is take two high-paying missions from Solo, jump to Open and grab the rest of the board but the last six or seven runs I did I started getting really low cash missions. Like I might have one for 1m and one for 250k in Solo and then maybe three missions in Open totaling less than 1m together. Also, every single site I've gone to since then has been guarded which in itself is not a problem, just something I noticed.

Anyone else seeing this?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

anime tupac posted:

Does Horizons ever go on sale? It's kind of hard to tell if I can get Steam to alert me about that since I already own the base game

I have dlc from Total Warhammer wishlisted, and I got an email saying they're on sale, so you should be good to go I think, I don't know they ever put it on sale though. This site says it was on sale 10 months ago. https://steamdb.info/app/441340/

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Opal posted:

Speaking of Quince, has anyone else noticed a difference in the last couple of days or have I just been really unlucky?

My SOP is take two high-paying missions from Solo, jump to Open and grab the rest of the board but the last six or seven runs I did I started getting really low cash missions. Like I might have one for 1m and one for 250k in Solo and then maybe three missions in Open totaling less than 1m together. Also, every single site I've gone to since then has been guarded which in itself is not a problem, just something I noticed.

Anyone else seeing this?
Sounds like a bad luck? I am still getting mission rewards in millions.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I got into the top 50% in that CG. I have to say that blasting around a planets rocky ring starting fights with everyone is pretty fun

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ratjaculation posted:

I got into the top 50% in that CG. I have to say that blasting around a planets rocky ring starting fights with everyone is pretty fun

I had a fun time waiting until the cops had jumped out of a Hi-Res, shooting a NPC Conda til it aggroed in my Eagle, then playing keep-away by hiding behind a big rock and using my directional thrust to keep it between me and the big guns til the law came back.

Peekaboo! lands a few shots on big ships rear end, gets shields 3/4 burned off in a second

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

thank god for mapping a button/key for shield cells and heat sinks :S

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So quince is awesome, thanks for that write up. Space trading for money was getting tedious

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Is it just me or have assassination missions become like, way more reliable in terms of spawning the target? I'm playing on the PS4, and a couple of weeks back I'd spend like, 10-15 minutes orbiting a target body for the RNG to kick in. Recently the target has been showing up almost immediately upon entering orbit. Way more have been showing up in the nav beacon area, too.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

CZs can go very wrong very quickly, but there's a few tips you can follow to help solo them:

1) Bring a serious combat ship. A-Fit and combat fit. Don't half rear end it. Don't bring your discovery scanner. Don't bring your SRV bay. If you have the means, engineer your ship as much as you can. Empty internal slots should be filled with Hull Reinforcements or Shield Cell Banks, depending on your ship. A module reinforcement or two is fine too, if you want. That will help when if your shields go down and they start making GBS threads missiles at you. And this will happen. Missiles will ruin your day if your shields go down, and the module reinforcements should keep you alive long enough to wake out.

2) Find friendly and stick with them! The big difference between a HazRES and a CZ is that in the CZ you *do* actually have allies. Typically what you'll see is that hostile and friendly ships will pair off one on one, for the most part. If you kill an enemy ship, that friendly ship will then go look for the nearest hostile ship, and go attack it. Again, usually. You can get a pretty hilarious momentum going where you kill enough enemy ships and you have a big enough ball of friendlies that you're unstoppable, and you just mop up the reinforcements as they arrive.

3) Reinforcements constantly warp in. Keep an eye on your radar. If 6 new ships jump in and you're the only hostile in range you're going to get popped really fast. The enemy ships are usually not in wings, so they're just picking you because you're the closest (or if there's other nearby) the most dangerous/threatening looking ship near by. Once they commit to a target, they won't stop attacking it until it dies, or they get attacked by something more threatening than what they're fighting. Use this to your advantage.

4) Be ready to Hi-wake (hyperspace jump) out of the system at a moment's notice. When you first drop on the CZ, pick a random nearby star and lock your navigation to it. You can do this while you're moving out of the fray and before you join a side. Also: remember to formally declare yourself on a side before wading into the battle. You pick which side you're on in the right-hand systems menu, under the Functions tab.

5) heat makes you visible, that's why you can spot asps far away yet miss diamondbacks you are right on top of. If you are the hottest target in a CZ everyone's coming for you.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Morningwoodpecker posted:

5) heat makes you visible, that's why you can spot asps far away yet miss diamondbacks you are right on top of. If you are the hottest target in a CZ everyone's coming for you.

6) Capital Ships. These can sometimes spawn if the factions involved are Fed or Imperial aligned. You'll know when they're going to show up because the computer freaks out. They were originally static, they did not move once they warped in. They seem to be working on changing that, and they DO move now. But in frightening, unpredictable ways. They have hitboxes, and those hitboxes may not be where you expect. They also are really glitchy right now, it's like something out of star citizen:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/163469039

So, what are they for? They spawn fighter ships which can be a handful if you don't know what you're doing, since it will poo poo out a dozen of them, and they're all winged together. They also can tear your ship up if you're not careful, as they are bristling with weapons. If you target the capship and cycle through the subtargets, you'll see a bunch of surface weapons, drives, and heat-radiators. Attack the heat radiators, and once all of them are destroyed, the ship will warp out, and you'll get a nice fat 150k Cr bond for it. I recommend you have a wing for this, if you want to go whale hunting. Healbeams are a must.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Fart City posted:

Is it just me or have assassination missions become like, way more reliable in terms of spawning the target? I'm playing on the PS4, and a couple of weeks back I'd spend like, 10-15 minutes orbiting a target body for the RNG to kick in. Recently the target has been showing up almost immediately upon entering orbit. Way more have been showing up in the nav beacon area, too.

Yeah, I've noticed this, although I thought it might be random. Hopefully it's actually a change and not just perception.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

6) Capital Ships. These can sometimes spawn if the factions involved are Fed or Imperial aligned. You'll know when they're going to show up because the computer freaks out. They were originally static, they did not move once they warped in. They seem to be working on changing that, and they DO move now. But in frightening, unpredictable ways. They have hitboxes, and those hitboxes may not be where you expect. They also are really glitchy right now, it's like something out of star citizen:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/163469039

So, what are they for? They spawn fighter ships which can be a handful if you don't know what you're doing, since it will poo poo out a dozen of them, and they're all winged together. They also can tear your ship up if you're not careful, as they are bristling with weapons. If you target the capship and cycle through the subtargets, you'll see a bunch of surface weapons, drives, and heat-radiators. Attack the heat radiators, and once all of them are destroyed, the ship will warp out, and you'll get a nice fat 150k Cr bond for it. I recommend you have a wing for this, if you want to go whale hunting. Healbeams are a must.

Jesus: the heat exchangers! I killed every turret and subsystem thinking "surely it'll warp out," but never touched the heat exchangers...

But holy shitballs: 150k for killing one? It should be 1.5M! That is absurdly low for the effort involved!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

That is absurdly low for the effort involved!

Elite_dangerous.txt

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Exit to menu and rejoin?

That ended up doing it. Googling around says that I used to have to go accept a mission whose sole purpose was to grant me the permit but I guess that changed at some point.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Jesus: the heat exchangers! I killed every turret and subsystem thinking "surely it'll warp out," but never touched the heat exchangers...

But holy shitballs: 150k for killing one? It should be 1.5M! That is absurdly low for the effort involved!

Yeah the combat bonds aren't how you make fat stacks of cash in CZs. It's all about those sweet, sweet Massacre Missions. When 2 factions are at war, they put out missions asking you to go to a combat zone and kill X number of the enemy faction's ships. They pay in the 10s of millions for the Elite ranked ones, which require you to kill around 100 ships. They stack, too. So if you have 3 missions to kill 100, 75, and 50 ships, you don't need to kill 225 ships, you just need to kill 100.

Nowadays, the mission board will stop generating certain kinds of missions if you have 3 or more of them already, such as Massacre Missions. So, the trick is to get 2 good ones lined up, and then scum the board until you get a board that has several more massacre missions. You can *take* more than 3, but once you have a 3rd massacre mission, no more will spawn.

Incidentally, when you go to turn them in, once you drop below 3 active massacre missions, before turning any more in, leave the mission board and open it again. That will generate a new mission board, and possibly fresh Massacre missions for you.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

So I accidentally flew too close to a pulsar or something and

Game is otherwise pretty though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I just spend almost 150 million credits buying and fitting a Python just because I could. I stuck 3 large MC's on it and upgraded them for g5 rapid fire each. It's like 3 A-10 warthogs firing at once it's incredible.

• Locked thread