Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Just a reminder to you all: the army is America's greatest team ever. We together are united as one unit to accomplish a mission or task.

Hooah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

gently caress you suck my dick I'm ouuuuuuuuuuutttttttttt

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The Rat posted:

ouuuuuuuuuuutttttttttt

Til the war with China and/or Russia.

Then we'll all be in a ditch together. :911:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

The Rat posted:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

The Rat posted:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I can't wait to have a goon platoon in a ditch together somewhere in Ukraina/Alaska/Hindu Kush freezing to death, Army Threading it in real time, in full MOPP.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Vahakyla posted:

I can't wait to have a goon platoon in a ditch together somewhere in Ukraina/Alaska/Hindu Kush freezing to death, Army Threading it in real time, in full MOPP.

Those two things do not belong together. Even JSLIST is no joke, old ghetto MOPP4 with full kit on top is going to make you sweat like a chaplain in the middle of a 40-man shower bay. poo poo could give somebody heat stroke in a snowstorm.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

MOPP4 was the closest I will ever get to the feeling of wearing a spacesuit.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

tastefully arranged labia posted:

I've got distinct memories of MOPP4 that were probably the closest I've ever been to dying. Middle of the Korean summer, 90F+ and 100% humidity, MOPP'd the gently caress out with full kit and my truck bag on, sitting in the back of a buttoned-up (turned off) FLA. For over an hour.

"Oh, hey, we forgot you were in there. Yeah they told us like half an hour ago to stand down for the chemical exercise and let the Koreans handle it."

My MOPP suit was soaking wet, uniform top and bottoms were wet completely through, my boots looked like I'd thrown them into a bucket and forgotten them for a day, and I poured probably 2-3 inches of the foulest gray stinking sweat water out of my MOPP boots. It took 3 full 1L NS bags and a 3L CamelBak to get me to piss.

gently caress that poo poo forever.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
One of the nice things about being a scout is that it's highly unlikely to have any kind of CBRN weapons used on you, I've never had to wear my JSLIST. The infantry got gassed constantly during our last field problem though

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The Status of Forces Agreement in Italy is probably 99% italian written.

I am in USPS office, dealing with a clerk who doesn't speak english.
Yesterday I helped a on-post Fireman who works for DoD, who doesn't speak english at all.
And these are hardly the exceptions, lmao italians are winning this one so bad. I'm all for it though, I hear these jobs are super sought after here.

They also take italian and american holidays, and keep a "recovery day" after a holiday.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 28, 2017

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

keep a "recovery day" after a holiday.

Every now and again the spirit that made these people build the Roman Empire shines through

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I was gonna be a social worker until I discovered it would be a vow of poverty.

It sure the hell is. I'm glad I don't have any bills, or actual aspirations to do anything.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I considered a career as a teacher, even started my first semester of GI bill with that as a possible goal.

Things have gotten a lot worse since I went to school, so I guess the "drown government in a bathtub" model of politics is working because holy Jesus gently caress why would anybody do that job any more?

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

bird food bathtub posted:

I considered a career as a teacher, even started my first semester of GI bill with that as a possible goal.

Things have gotten a lot worse since I went to school, so I guess the "drown government in a bathtub" model of politics is working because holy Jesus gently caress why would anybody do that job any more?

My aunt's wife is a teacher.

A long conversation with her is why I did not go into teaching when I got out.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

tastefully arranged labia posted:

The way to feel what it's like inside a microwave burrito

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Vahakyla posted:

The Status of Forces Agreement in Italy is probably 99% italian written.

I am in USPS office, dealing with a clerk who doesn't speak english.
Yesterday I helped a on-post Fireman who works for DoD, who doesn't speak english at all.
And these are hardly the exceptions, lmao italians are winning this one so bad. I'm all for it though, I hear these jobs are super sought after here.

They also take italian and american holidays, and keep a "recovery day" after a holiday.

During our Kosovo deployment we started off with a German general as the NATO commander. Briefings were weekly, in English (Because NATO countries usually speak English as their second language) and uaully took about an hour, two if something dumb happened.

Then he rotated out and was replaced with an Italian general. All briefings were now in Italian with the Italians handling the translations of the slide deck (which were google translate quality), and often to three hours plus. He also called an engineer unit back out to a work site they finished before time because he wanted a photo Op.

We're used to Army Dumb, but the Italians have that poo poo to a whole new level.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

gently caress I don't want to sign back in from leave, the next 3 months are going to suck balls

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
AWOL is always an option.

Always.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Soulex posted:

The way to feel what it's like inside a microwave burrito

I mean like it's the closest thing to having a second skin.I know it's really :goonsay: but to me it felt like what Psycho Mantis said- you're really in your own little world in the suit.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Driving tanks and having to have your gas gear on was great. Oh yeah, let me put my gear on, hahahaha whatever I ain't getting that poo poo out of the bustle rack. Then you muffle your mic with your hand when you talk.

Suck it crunchies, I'm turning the air con on, I almost broke a sweat.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I once saw a Bradley crew get caught doing that by their brigade commander and csm and oh boy they did not have fun.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

I once saw a Bradley crew get caught doing that by their brigade commander and csm and oh boy they did not have fun.

Do tell

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

My stryker is one of the two in my platoon of six strykers that has consistently working heat and AC.

With the heat and AC, tons of space to sleep/pack poo poo since scout strykers only have 6 dudes in them, strykers are a pretty sweet vehicle to use

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

My BDE/BN was out in the field and I was evaluating a unit on the extreme edge of our training area, one gravel road over from the next training area. Some OCs came over from that training area to essentially say that while they wouldn't assume we'd be stupid and cross training areas, definitely for sure don't do it for the next couple of hours, as they were about to go to full MOPP and actually move Bradleys, Strykers, etc., while doing it, so they will in all likelihood be apt to totally crush us if we're sending a HMMWV back on some supply run or cutting across terrain to save time. These training areas were notorious for people not bothering to put in recon requests and just loving about in a HMMWV or POV and almost getting smashed by tactical vehicles in the past. The unit I was supposed to be evaluating was having maintenance issues, so my driver, NCO, and I were hanging out in some shade and half-rear end watching rooster tails and such as the unit across the way moved about. Eventually, a Bradley rolls up pretty close, maybe 100-150 hundred meters on the other side of the road and appears to be pulling security. Eventually, they pop the top and we see a guy smoke a cigarette while sticking out of the hatch, and someone gets out to take a piss, then they get back in and button up.

About half an hour later, the BDE CDR and CSM, themselves in MOPP 4, roll right up to the edge of our site and start to yell at a couple of our soldiers for not being in MOPP, then realize they're wearing a different patch, apologize, and move across the road to the Bradley. As if timed for a movie, the bradley hatch pops, and a guy sticks up out of it and tosses what looked like maybe a couple empty water bottles and MRE trash out into the desert right in front of the BDE CDR/CSM. I couldn't hear what they were saying, but we could sure as poo poo hear a lot of yelling as the crew piled out in various states of MOPP and alternately got locked up by one then dropped by the other and screamed at for a long time. Meanwhile, here come vehicles with various levels of leadership between these poor sumbitches and the bde cmd team to alternate between getting yelled at themselves and yelling at the Bradley crew. This went on for I don't know how long, because eventually my unit fixed its poo poo and we had to go do our jobs. But it was a while. Some of our NCOs on site were blatantly just passing binoculars around and laughing their asses off as the crowd of angry people and vehicles grew.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 28, 2017

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Situational awareness, HOOAH.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So....Fort Meade. Anyone been there, know anything about living in the area? I might be taking a filthy civvie contractor job there, but i have no idea what the area is like. Never got stationed there.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Oh my are you living there?

It's small. There's a Dave and busters like right outside post, lots of bad traffic, Baltimore is cool but you literally have to be careful where you go if you are white.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

So....Fort Meade. Anyone been there, know anything about living in the area? I might be taking a filthy civvie contractor job there, but i have no idea what the area is like. Never got stationed there.

Visit the DC and Baltimore threads in LAN for more detailed information. I think everything in the area are the dingleberries around the poorly-wiped rear end in a top hat that is DC but some people like the area.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Soulex posted:

Oh my are you living there?

It's small. There's a Dave and busters like right outside post, lots of bad traffic, Baltimore is cool but you literally have to be careful where you go if you are white.

Probably living pretty close if I get the job. So the area right outside is a typical only-exists-because-of-the-base town? My reference would be Killeen for Hood or Sierra Vista for Huachuca.

Is the drive into base the normal 45 minutes to cross the street crap?

And what about Maryland's gun laws?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Probably living pretty close if I get the job. So the area right outside is a typical only-exists-because-of-the-base town? My reference would be Killeen for Hood or Sierra Vista for Huachuca.

Is the drive into base the normal 45 minutes to cross the street crap?

And what about Maryland's gun laws?

The area immediately outside Ft. Meade is a weird mix of "only-exists-because-of-the-base town" and "built-up suburb/minor urban area." I lived in an apartment about 10-15 minutes from Fort Meade and was paying $1300 a month for a one bedroom apartment in a complex built in the 1960s. With rush hour traffic, I think the commute to Fort Meade, to include getting on base, pushed it to about 20-30 minutes.

Maryland's gun laws are poo poo.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Genocide Tendency posted:

My aunt's wife is a teacher.

A long conversation with her is why I did not go into teaching when I got out.

It's all about what state/school system you're at.

I've got a friend teaching elementary at a rich private school in Hawaii. Weekends, Holidays, and Summers off + full medical + retirement.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

McNally posted:

The area immediately outside Ft. Meade is a weird mix of "only-exists-because-of-the-base town" and "built-up suburb/minor urban area." I lived in an apartment about 10-15 minutes from Fort Meade and was paying $1300 a month for a one bedroom apartment in a complex built in the 1960s. With rush hour traffic, I think the commute to Fort Meade, to include getting on base, pushed it to about 20-30 minutes.

Maryland's gun laws are poo poo.

As long as we're not talking Sierra "only one meth lab explosion this week? doing good!' Vista I'm OK with living there.

Sucks about the gun laws. That's probably going to be a pain in the rear end.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

not caring here posted:

Driving tanks and having to have your gas gear on was great. Oh yeah, let me put my gear on, hahahaha whatever I ain't getting that poo poo out of the bustle rack. Then you muffle your mic with your hand when you talk.

This is beautiful in a very unique way.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

not caring here posted:

There came a point where when supporting subordinate evals but not undergoing eval myself, I not only didn't mask up when there were gas threats and instead just muffled the mic with my hand, but eventually just spoke completely in the clear. gently caress it, I'm not even being evaluated, and it's a favor to them that they can hear me more clearly. The only dude I ever ran into who cared walked across the site in MOPP 0 to half-rear end yell at me about it, at which point I said at least I was in a shelter with ostensible CBRN protection whereas he just walked across the site in the open. He told me that if he wasn't so tired he'd yell at me, then went back to do more slides and poo poo.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I just spent 3 years at Meade. Meade is essentially the middle point where the urban sprawl from Baltimore meets the urban sprawl from DC. It breaks 100* in the middle of May, traffic is god awful, and the cost of living is insane. PM me if you have any specific questions, but I took a civilian IT job instead of a clearance intel job just to get out of the DC metro.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

So how are NCO's fresh off the trail as PSGs? I'm hoping my new one doesn't have a stick up his rear end about all sorts of dumb drill sergeant poo poo because that's going to get annoying, fast

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mustang posted:

So how are NCO's fresh off the trail as PSGs? I'm hoping my new one doesn't have a stick up his rear end about all sorts of dumb drill sergeant poo poo because that's going to get annoying, fast

This should be good :getin:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
One of our platoons got one of those a few months before we deployed. He was the loving awful and no poo poo treated his platoon like they were in basic, NCOs and all. The poo poo like dropping the whole platoon went away over time, but he still treated them like poo poo in general. Take all of this with a big grain of salt; he was a dickhead regardless of whether he or not he thought he was still wearing that hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

If that's the way mine is going to be then mom and dad are going to hate each other

My hair is just barely within regs, I always have my hands in my pockets and I pretty regularly make fun of how dumb the Army can be