Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

GeneX posted:

I hope the top 8 is all mono red

The question is how badly do you want red cards banned from Standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Elyv posted:

this but unironically

my friend, that was entirely unironic

I get a lot of joy out of watching wotc screw up

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Five Ramunap Red decks.

Here we go.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

suicidesteve posted:

Give it 2 days and we'll all hate it again.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

GeneX posted:

...How did they screw up , exactly? printing creatures with haste?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

GeneX posted:

I just like Mountains

I'd like some more Lightning Strikes, and I'm not a huge fan of an unanswerable threat in the mirror when I'm spectating, but I'm ok with this. Also I'd bet monored falls off somewhat moving forward because usually if you want to beat an aggro deck you can but that's not always true with control and midrange

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

YggdrasilTM posted:

...How did they screw up , exactly? printing creatures with haste?

buddy, if the top 8 of the pro tour consists of a single deck, something went pear-shaped at some point in development

(Or, in case you're a bit tired and can't parse what I'm saying: in the theoretical world where mono red eviscerated the field, they'd have messed up, which would be hilarious because I enjoy watching wotc fumble around.)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I can envision the deck dipping into white for access to Cast Out in the mirror match to exile opposing Hazorets.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

YggdrasilTM posted:

I swear, this thread won't be happy.

Fixed that for you.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Gonna need to see the top 16/top 32 decklists, since there were a whole mess of 12-4s who didn't make the top 8. 12-4s went from 7th to 16th! It'll be fun to see if mono-red just cleaned house or if there's a bunch of cool decks that just need to find an answer to the Ruins.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Hellsau posted:

Gonna need to see the top 16/top 32 decklists, since there were a whole mess of 12-4s who didn't make the top 8. 12-4s went from 7th to 16th! It'll be fun to see if mono-red just cleaned house or if there's a bunch of cool decks that just need to find an answer to the Ruins.

Yeah the actual top 8 is fairly irrelevant, especially when draft record mucks with the results. Mtggoldfish posts total decklists by win per round in standard, that's usually my go to place.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I can't think of anything in RDW that comes off as a mistake in R&D. Probably the closest thing would be that Abrade is a very efficient answer card that answers a very wide variety of threats to the deck and pushed a lot of stuff out of the meta but lol if we're going to start complaining about answers being too good.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
can't wait to see the epic top 8 showdown between a bunch of mono-red decks and a red deck splashing black for 2 cards

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Retromancer posted:

I can't think of anything in RDW that comes off as a mistake in R&D. Probably the closest thing would be that Abrade is a very efficient answer card that answers a very wide variety of threats to the deck and pushed a lot of stuff out of the meta but lol if we're going to start complaining about answers being too good.

imo the main reason the deck is so dominant is because of how poor defensive speed is against the rest of the field. cards like magma spray and blessed alliance are super embarassing against the midrange/control value piles where every card is a 2-for-1, also ulamog is still somewhat viable. so if you want to compete with mono-red you have to accept losing to the rest of the field (so why not just play mono red at that point)

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

At least the top 8 will be over really quickly.

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
How do you guys decide what to put into your trade binders? For a while I had three binders with legacy / modern / standard over a dollar or so, but it's loving annoying to keep up-to-date as I build decks, prices fluctuate, and standard rotates.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

oryx posted:

How do you guys decide what to put into your trade binders? For a while I had three binders with legacy / modern / standard over a dollar or so, but it's loving annoying to keep up-to-date as I build decks, prices fluctuate, and standard rotates.

You must love trading for hours if you have three binders. If a trade takes more than a few minutes, I'm not doing it, so I just have a small binder full of things I want to trade and a box of bulk rares that I occasionally dump for store credit.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I typically only bother with $5+ cards in binders and stick my $1-5 cards in a box sorted by color or whatever.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

oryx posted:

I had 2 binders, one with poo poo I wanted to trade, usually standard stuff above like $3 or so or poo poo I thought people would want for EDH; then one with eternal staples and high money cards. I'd usually only bring out the first binder unless they had something worth the second. (this prevents the constant 15 standard staples for cavern of souls offerings)

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
It's cool seeing mono-red doing well. It looks like a more expensive deck than the good RDW decks of years past at a glance but I might be wrong. If so that's kind of a bummer, a great thing about mono-red being good was that you didn't need a stack of rares to play it.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Attorney at Funk posted:

It's cool seeing mono-red doing well. It looks like a more expensive deck than the good RDW decks of years past at a glance but I might be wrong. If so that's kind of a bummer, a great thing about mono-red being good was that you didn't need a stack of rares to play it.

It's more expensive right now because everyone's buying in. You could get Earthshaker Khenra for <$1 on Thursday, Hazoret for ~$4

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I love Fraying Sanity if only for the 'oh poo poo moment' when people realize the amount of math involved once multiples come out.

I was at FNM drafting and a guy was talking about his Fraying Sanity deck, and how during one game he had 4 on a guy. He was boasting about how he let his opponent cast a spell to let it hit the GY because it would mean 4 cards off the top of the library. I then explained that no, it goes 1, then 2, then 6, then 12 and he was like :O

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Star Man posted:

I can envision the deck dipping into white for access to Cast Out in the mirror match to exile opposing Hazorets.

Hour of Glory probably better if your only goal is to kill Gods

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The only way they messed up with mono-red is giving it 8 Barbarian rings, and 4 of them deal 1 damage as they enter play. A deck that low to the ground should not have that much reach.
I'm glad Bomat Courier is seeing play though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Its almost as if when a new set comes out the Pros like to default to super aggro decks... Hmmmmmmm

This happens almost every recent pro tour. Mardu Vehicles was most of Aether Revolt. White Humans dominated one before that, Etc etc.

There will be a deck that hoses the aggro decks and it will fall off after its solved.

As it is we can enjoy the fastest top 8 ever.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Lone Goat posted:

Hour of Glory probably better if your only goal is to kill Gods

Probably, since it means you can get access to Scrapheap Scrounger too.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

The Sexual Shiite posted:

I had 4 chalice out at 0, 1, 2, and 3 today, at modern. I felt accomplished.

At which point the burn player whips out their super secret tech of singleton sideboard Shatterstorm.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Its almost as if when a new set comes out the Pros like to default to super aggro decks... Hmmmmmmm

This happens almost every recent pro tour. Mardu Vehicles was most of Aether Revolt. White Humans dominated one before that, Etc etc.

There will be a deck that hoses the aggro decks and it will fall off after its solved.

Isn't it usually at rotation when that happens?

Which a ban is essentially, I guess

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The Pro Tour before that was PT Kaladesh, which had 4 aggressive and 4 control decks in the T8 with a huge amount of the field playing the bad allin version of Marvel. PT EMN was all Ramp, Midrange, and Control. PT SOI was similar, plus aristocrats(which is certainly not aggro). I don't think your premise really holds.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

At which point the burn player whips out their super secret tech of singleton sideboard Shatterstorm.

Shattering spree's replicated copies also get through

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

There's a con here so I hopefully get to draft my cube for the second time ever tonight. Also it'll be my first modern tournament tomorrow and first ever time playing modern, wish me luck!

Playing WGb Devoted Druid combo with Rhonas and Walking Ballista as win cons. Some concessions were made (only one Hierarch!) but I think I'll do okay. Meta here is probably soft as hell. Not that I'm amazing either.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/HAUMPH/status/891142620210057220

I haven't been watching. LSV's leaving coverage to get back to playing?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

InterrupterJones posted:

It was a cheerios deck that topped off at 3 drops

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

odiv posted:

Yes

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

odiv posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/162828250

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Retromancer posted:

Even when Standard was bad we still had dope pro tours like that control matchup to end Pro Tour Kaladesh. This one just seems to be all turning creatures sideways with no one even attempting a midrange or control plan, which is dull.

lol look at this idiot

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

odiv posted:

He's also decided to become a pro wrestler

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Elyv posted:

The Pro Tour before that was PT Kaladesh, which had 4 aggressive and 4 control decks in the T8 with a huge amount of the field playing the bad allin version of Marvel. PT EMN was all Ramp, Midrange, and Control. PT SOI was similar, plus aristocrats(which is certainly not aggro). I don't think your premise really holds.

Yeah "aggro dominates a blind meta" is one of those truisms from bygone years that doesn't consistently hold true anymore. It's like how it took people a couple of years to adjust to the idea that midrange wasn't a joke strategy for people trying too hard to hedge their bets.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

AceClown posted:

He's also decided to become a pro wrestler

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

DangerDongs posted:

The only way they messed up with mono-red is giving it 8 Barbarian rings, and 4 of them deal 1 damage as they enter play. A deck that low to the ground should not have that much reach.
I'm glad Bomat Courier is seeing play though.

Mono red is beatable. Unlike Marvel or Saheeli, people trying to beat your deck will beat it, and I wouldn't be shocked if in the next set there's a powerful hoser, that's usually how these things go. The deck is good but if they didn't ban goblin guide I'm sure we'll survive.