Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

pubic works project posted:

Sooooooooooooooo....is Xavier gonna hop in like a brain-dead twin body like in the movies? "I didn't just have a sister, Cassandra Nova. I had a brother too!!"

There's been enough fuckery going on with the professor's brain that it could be anything, really. It could be legit Xavier, it could be a corrupted version, it could be Onsalught Mk. IV, who knows.

By the way, against my better judgment I picked up the last couple Secret Empire issues of Blue.

Rahne Sinclair has a new power. Instead of turning into a wolf, she can turn into ...multiple wolves???

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Also she's a jackboot thug, apparently.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cabbit posted:

Also she's a jackboot thug, apparently.

I mean, she's working for a near omega telepath, so...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rochallor posted:

By the way, against my better judgment I picked up the last couple Secret Empire issues of Blue.

Rahne Sinclair has a new power. Instead of turning into a wolf, she can turn into ...multiple wolves???

That's loving legit awesome.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have zero problem with Emma going nuts and being evil, because the one good thing in her life is gone, and she sees a chance to recapture it. It's totally a bad guy thing to do. I loved Heroic Emma a lot, but I am cool with this.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Sooooooooooooooo....is Xavier gonna hop in like a brain-dead twin body like in the movies? "I didn't just have a sister, Cassandra Nova. I had a brother too!!"

Look, if you have a clumsy child you make him wear a helmet. If you have death-prone children, you keep a few clones of them in the lab.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Look, if you have a clumsy child you make him wear a helmet. If you have death-prone children, you keep a few clones of them in the lab.

Now I'm imagining Scott and Logan talking about all the times Xavier's died and come back and getting hung up on the time they grew mustaches.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

twistedmentat posted:

I have zero problem with Emma going nuts and being evil, because the one good thing in her life is gone, and she sees a chance to recapture it. It's totally a bad guy thing to do. I loved Heroic Emma a lot, but I am cool with this.

Ah yes, another strong X-woman going nuts, just like Scarlet Witch, Polaris, Jean Grey (admittedly due to Mastermind), Magik (debatable perhaps), etc but in this case it's over her ex-boyfriend. Sure, she could still have had feelings for him, but this is a very extreme, tiresome reaction to me and if she is just trying to manipulate Tykeclops to replace Scott then that's weird and bad writing though I will withhold total judgement for now since there could be more to it.

I also take umbrage with your assertion that she has nothing good in her life as she is loaded, actually does have friends among the X-Men and presumably beyond. She's also been 'heroic' for far longer than she's been a villain at this point, so it's rather an extreme backslide, which could have been cool (i.e. tying it to her previously lost classes or revealing that Cyclops helped her deal with her lovely family and having her snap), but instead was simply a contrived event flip.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Metalshark posted:

Ah yes, another strong X-woman going nuts, just like Scarlet Witch, Polaris, Jean Grey (admittedly due to Mastermind), Magik (debatable perhaps), etc but in this case it's over her ex-boyfriend. Sure, she could still have had feelings for him, but this is a very extreme, tiresome reaction to me and if she is just trying to manipulate Tykeclops to replace Scott then that's weird and bad writing though I will withhold total judgement for now since there could be more to it.

I also take umbrage with your assertion that she has nothing good in her life as she is loaded, actually does have friends among the X-Men and presumably beyond. She's also been 'heroic' for far longer than she's been a villain at this point, so it's rather an extreme backslide, which could have been cool (i.e. tying it to her previously lost classes or revealing that Cyclops helped her deal with her lovely family and having her snap), but instead was simply a contrived event flip.

Yeah, I'm in agreement with this. Emma trying to carry on Scott's dream (and possibly getting it very wrong)? That's interesting. Emma falling out with the X-Men because she feels (wrongly) like she has no place there without Scott? That's interesting. But this is just lazy. Emma being written really dumb is cooling me a lot on Blue (well, that and the dumb SE stuff), whereas previously it felt like Bunn recovering a little after the general dullness of the latest UXM.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm withholding judgement on character personality changes at least until Captain America isn't a nazi anymore.

(I mean I think it's dumb, just maybe not permanent.)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It feel like the natural character progression based on Emma's actions in Death of X, and it's not unlike Emma in her early apperances as head of the Mass Academy. I mean wasn't she one of the multiple blond women who try to seduce Kitty?.

I also want to point out that when I say "I am cool with this", that means "I accept this" not "I like this".

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
To me it seems like Emma's paying the price for them not knowing what the gently caress they were doing with Cyke. First he was supposed to be mutant hitler, then it was revealed the thing he did (Which actually Emma did) was harmless and meaningless. And then it's Emma's fault that Cyke is seen as Hitler now? It's all very confusing and reads of "We actually had no idea what we wanted to do." So now Emma is a villain even though one of her primary desires is to be a teacher. And there's no good reason for it. Like... if the rest of the X-Men had turned their backs on her, or the Inhumans had demanded her head, or something that would have been a case of "After everything you're still treating me like the villain here?" Then sure, I could see this.

But it's just dumb, it's "Felicia gets punched by Potto and webbed up and decides to go full villain" dumb except Felicia's at least flirted with the crime life in years, while Emma, even as The Phoenix and on the run with Cyclopse, was mainly focused on her desire to teach.

EDIT: Her actions in Death of X? She tries to keep Cyke's memory alive by projecting him and attempts to destroy the terrigan cloud. Unless I missed something that put her out of alignment with the rest of the X-Men, that's reaching enough to pull several muscles.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 30, 2017

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Someone tell me when Blue and Gold are done dicking around with Secret Empire. I'm not reading them until the point where I can blast through the whole derail in an afternoon. gently caress whenever they make X-Men tie in with linewide events.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wasn't Emma controlled Scott getting people killed and escalating everything way beyond what was necessary? I might be misremembering the series, but I don't have any desire to revisit it. I'd rather just admit I am wrong that slog through that bland mini again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Emma never controlled Cyclops. She made a psychic projection of him after he died in Death of X to fulfill his plan to destroy the cloud. Alchemy died, but he knew that going in and it was a sacrifice play. The fake projection Cyclops also died there, she let Black Bolt kill "him" to build more of a conflict between the two sides.

Onmi posted:

EDIT: Her actions in Death of X? She tries to keep Cyke's memory alive by projecting him and attempts to destroy the terrigan cloud. Unless I missed something that put her out of alignment with the rest of the X-Men, that's reaching enough to pull several muscles.

The end of IvX is that all of that was just a trick to maneuver everyone into a situation where she could genocide the inhumans.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Diet Poison posted:

Someone tell me when Blue and Gold are done dicking around with Secret Empire. I'm not reading them until the point where I can blast through the whole derail in an afternoon. gently caress whenever they make X-Men tie in with linewide events.

Gold hasn't touched Secret Empire at all. It's just Blue.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Gold hasn't touched Secret Empire at all. It's just Blue.

Gold had a two-issue tie-in that didn't really have all that much to do with the crossover, but it did get the banner at the top, so.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rochallor posted:

Gold had a two-issue tie-in that didn't really have all that much to do with the crossover, but it did get the banner at the top, so.

Gold has Kitty, right? I must have missed a couple of issues then.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

Emma never controlled Cyclops. She made a psychic projection of him after he died in Death of X to fulfill his plan to destroy the cloud. Alchemy died, but he knew that going in and it was a sacrifice play. The fake projection Cyclops also died there, she let Black Bolt kill "him" to build more of a conflict between the two sides.

The end of IvX is that all of that was just a trick to maneuver everyone into a situation where she could genocide the inhumans.

Yea, that's what I meant, and for some reason I thought Fake Scott gathered a huge group of jobber X-men and they were killed.

Just this one trick will free mutants forever, Inhumans hate it!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The last two Gold issues are both under the Secret Empire banner.

The setup is that NYC is under attack and the mansion is being used as a safe house for people, which is how the guy sneaks in. They just don't even bother to mention that on panel.

Didn't save them from being crappy too though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I started reading this thread during Comic Con, hoping to find other people excited about Ed Piskor's X-Men: Grand Design project. But I don't think I've seen anyone mention it once. I'm a huge Piskor fan, and I couldn't be more psyched for his six-issue series promising to create one cohesive narrative out of Uncanny X-Men #1-280.

EDIT: http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/book...es/201707230043

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 30, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm super excited for it but I don't really have anything more to say than that

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Xavier already has another body that as far as I can tell they never did anything with. His body at death was a clone that the Shi'Ar made for him and it's never mentioned what happened to his original body. And that body would be sick and also World War 2 old so they could kill him off again in the next event and start this all over again.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Rick posted:

Xavier already has another body that as far as I can tell they never did anything with. His body at death was a clone that the Shi'Ar made for him and it's never mentioned what happened to his original body. And that body would be sick and also World War 2 old so they could kill him off again in the next event and start this all over again.

Rick, you're so smart. Basketball and X-Men comics?!?! My man.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Rick, you're so smart. Basketball and X-Men comics?!?! My man.

It's an underrated life-interest combo, I'm glad you're also with it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rick posted:

The brood destroyed it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

The brood destroyed it

This. He was Brood infected which is why he needed a new body to begin with.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Wasn't there something with cloned X-Men wandering the universe at the end of the first Brood Saga that was never addressed (or at least never addressed by Claremont)? Did anyone ever do anything with that, it was a pretty classic X-Men team too if I remember right, Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Wolverine, Shadow Cat (I think she was going by Sprite at the time), maybe someone else.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't there something with cloned X-Men wandering the universe at the end of the first Brood Saga that was never addressed (or at least never addressed by Claremont)? Did anyone ever do anything with that, it was a pretty classic X-Men team too if I remember right, Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Wolverine, Shadow Cat (I think she was going by Sprite at the time), maybe someone else.

That was New Mutants 63, the very first comic book I ever read. I picked it out of my uncle's collection because there was a girl in a spacesuit with a sweet looking laser gun on the cover. When J&M covered it, they pointed out that although the story apparently actually happened, it was told as like a memory within a dream within a flashback for some dumb reason.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

The brood destroyed it

Maybe I need to read it again, but I read it after the death to check, because I wasn't sure about this and unless I missed something it basically ends an issue with "he's infected and gonna die soon" to next issue starting with "oh hey everyone, I'm back and in a clone now."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rochallor posted:

That was New Mutants 63, the very first comic book I ever read. I picked it out of my uncle's collection because there was a girl in a spacesuit with a sweet looking laser gun on the cover. When J&M covered it, they pointed out that although the story apparently actually happened, it was told as like a memory within a dream within a flashback for some dumb reason.

Ahh poo poo, that's one of the missing ones on Marvel Unlimited, there's some weird rear end gaps in New Mutants, it goes 1-40, 46, 55-61 (the Fall of The Mutants tie in) 71-73 (Inferno), then 86-100 which I think is when it essentially turned into X-Force.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
During War of Kings there was a callback to the clone X-Men in the Imperial Guard mini. Like, two pages or something.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Skwirl posted:

Ahh poo poo, that's one of the missing ones on Marvel Unlimited, there's some weird rear end gaps in New Mutants, it goes 1-40, 46, 55-61 (the Fall of The Mutants tie in) 71-73 (Inferno), then 86-100 which I think is when it essentially turned into X-Force.
They probably just haven't added the whole series yet as such, 46 is iirc the Mutant Massacre issue, then the rest are issues which have crossovers, so they were probably added whenever those crossovers were put up. 86-100 is basically Liefeld's run on the book. #87 is the first appearance of Cable, #92-94 are the X-tinction Agenda crossover, #98 is the first appearance of Deadpool.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 3, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rochallor posted:

Wasn't it Illyana who got sucked into the dream/vision thing and she was confused why Kitty and the rest didn't recognize her?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I just wanna state that I am Real Annoyed that X-men Gold appears to be trying to make Kitty + Colossus a thing again as well as pushing Rachel and Kurt together. I know I've been listening to too much Jay and Miles but come on people.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rachel and Kurt bothers me with how incredibly out of nowhere it is. I know these our superhero stories focused on action and aimed primarily at teenage boys, but I really wish we could get some romances that are actually developed decently, and not just: "Oh, I guess this is a thing now"

havok9
Aug 16, 2005

I dunno, I'm getting the impression that Gold is primarily aimed at people who grew up reading Claremont. Sadly, though it's not doing it very well at all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nearly all my preorders have dropped Blue and Gold from their pulls. Orders are way up on Weapon X and Cable and we sold 60 copies of Astonishing #1 and had to reorder more.

So something's working here, just not everything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The wrong Cyclops died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rhyno posted:

Nearly all my preorders have dropped Blue and Gold from their pulls. Orders are way up on Weapon X and Cable and we sold 60 copies of Astonishing #1 and had to reorder more.

So something's working here, just not everything.

That feels about right. Cable and Weapon X have both been really pleasant surprises, especially with Land taking a vacation during the WMD crossover. Blue is just good enough to not drop, but Bunn's never really been a particularly good writer and I'm kind of sick of his take on X-stuff at this point. And Gold is just the safest possible X-Men book you could ever write. It's so dull.

Really, except for Blue and Gold, the side books are all pretty great. Retool those two and you'd have a stellar lineup.