Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
The PT meta isnt always representative of the ensuing meta because the small field and team set up leads to a lot of counter brewing that doesn’t necessarily happen in the field at large

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah the PT deck choosing can get into fun increasingly complicated logic loops. Is this the best deck? Does every team find this? Did we break the format? Is everyone else tossing their percentages vs other decks to beat our deck because they think everyone will play it?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

born on a buy you posted:

The PT meta isnt always representative of the ensuing meta because the small field and team set up leads to a lot of counter brewing that doesn’t necessarily happen in the field at large

Yeah especially when you consider that the guys/teams at the top tables are also all acquainted and talk to each other and share data directly and indirectly, it's really insular

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

born on a buy you posted:

Yeah, but now with less information about what decks are consistently doing well this at least in the short term is going to certainly lead to a HUGE jump in red deck % of the meta, especially if it wins. I'm not saying that's bad or an untenable situation but people are going to flock to what they can see the pros doing. This really only goes for standard, since every set printed shakes up the eternal formats, albeit very slightly.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

AceClown posted:

He's also decided to become a pro wrestler

not an emptyquote

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Too bad the white god never caught on but I am glad Hazoret did. I hope it keeps going up and up. The playset I got for nothing is going to get me modern staples.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
PV on 5 3 games in a row... Unbelieveable.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Holy poo poo did abrade jump in price. This was a 30 cent card not long ago. Earth shaker is spiking.

Falkenrath Gorger is next. So many copies in the top 8 for a bulk card.

Sell/trade your gorgers as hard as you can if they spike.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 30, 2017

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Sickening posted:

Holy poo poo did abrade jump in price. This was a 30 cent card not long ago. Earth shaker is spiking.

Falkenrath Gorger is next. So many copies in the top 8 for a bulk card.

Sell/trade your gorgers as hard as you can if they spike.

Abrade was the most obviously underpriced card in the set. I bought a play set for 3.50 last week.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This feels like Modern. Every game is 5 turns long.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Did seth miss the haz ability with the magma spray?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

He was still 1 damage short.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sickening posted:

No, PV would be at 3 after attacks and Seth only had 4 mana, so he could discard one card to bring PV to 1, and use the Spray to stop the vehicle from being crewed.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Apparently PV's life total said 2 when he was actually at 3. But you know, not like that's relevant against mono-red!

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Never thought I would tune into a mtg pro tour after a decade of not playing and seeing two rdw going at each other.

Control is dead?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

I think this is a trait of good formats. Can't have degenerate interactions if they die instantly for trying.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

PV is gonna win.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
constructed quality card sand strangler

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

What if we had Psully in the booth instead of cheon here? Would it be the best commentary ever?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Hazoret is so good. lol

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just like how dorkly energetic Cheon and Knight are in their commentary. :v:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Only way Hornet Queen Boy isn't POTY is if PV wins the whole thing. GO PV!!!!!

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

funmanguy posted:

Never thought I would tune into a mtg pro tour after a decade of not playing and seeing two rdw going at each other.

Control is dead?

A new set came out a 2 weeks ago that made the mono red deck really strong so everyone is playing it.

I didn't even know that the Hazoret play at the end was something you could do.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Tainen posted:

A new set came out a 2 weeks ago that made the mono red deck really strong so everyone is playing it.

It's more than just that. Literally the only decks that did well this weekend are aggro...

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Tainen posted:

Ah ok, that makes more sense. The last mtg thing I watched was PT kaladesh, which has some fun blue decks to watch.

Edit: I'm looking up the formats right now, am I wrong in thinking that its very unusual to have 5 banned cards in standard? I was playing T2 when mirroden and urzas saga came out, bad memories.

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 30, 2017

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Hearing this news, I'm kinda glad I picked up three Hazoret the Fervents and one Hazoret the Pervert early.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

funmanguy posted:

Ah ok, that makes more sense. The last mtg thing I watched was PT kaladesh, which has some fun blue decks to watch.

Edit: I'm looking up the formats right now, am I wrong in thinking that its very unusual to have 5 banned cards in standard? I was playing T2 when mirroden and urzas saga came out, bad memories.

Yes, standard was hosed, ANY banning is rare, five is historic

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yes, standard was hosed, ANY banning is rare, five is historic

Reflector Mage was a bad ban.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

funmanguy posted:

Lol you have missed quite a bit. The last year has been really rough for Standard. It seems to be mostly fixed at the moment though.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Tainen posted:

Lol you have missed quite a bit. The last year has been really rough for Standard. It seems to be mostly fixed at the moment though.

You say that, but im looking at the 7+ win decklists and seems like three or four flavors of agro. That seems abnormal too

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mcmagic posted:

Reflector Mage was a bad ban.

Reflector Mage was basically a Modern-style ban in Standard. Cause everyone loves how they use the Modern banlist so much.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Oh lord, they reprinted Shock.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

funmanguy posted:

Oh lord, they reprinted Shock.

I love that the state of burn for the last several years has been such that "they reprinted Shock" is the new "they reprinted Lightning Bolt".

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
"Awesome, I get to use shock in my deck" -nobody ever

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
This commentary is just wonderful

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction
I will say, I thought it was going to be some boring rear end turning cards sideways but that PV game was loving boss.

(On a side note, people love to purposely time out in competitive leagues when they lose, so i've been enjoying typing out all of Dangerfield's greats in chat to them to liven the spirits. If nothing else, I get a kick out of it - what's timing out going to do? I tabbed to watch the twitch stream anyways.....)

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

It's been a while since I've watched a PT, but it seems like they have actually improved the quality of their coverage a decent amount? It feels way better than a year or two ago.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Tainen posted:

I didn't even know that the Hazoret play at the end was something you could do.

What was the play?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
poo poo; I only have two copies of Hazoret. Got one in a draft and bought one last week for $6.50. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Star Man posted:

poo poo; I only have two copies of Hazoret. Got one in a draft and bought one last week for $6.50. Oh well.

Save money don't play standard