Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Is this not a crime somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That sounds like something the villain in a Saturday morning cartoon would say.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Today is so loving boring.

go out and see a movie

dunkirk is very good, as is atomic blonde

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Just LoL if he gets bounced for quid pro quo.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

There is no way this happened.

To be fair, this is the same man who called his own wife a trollop and a oval office.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all
Also, don't forget what-would-normally-be-a-huge-scandal #253 :

Washington Post posted:

Police leaders across the country moved quickly to distance themselves from — or to outright condemn — President Trump’s statements about “roughing up” people who’ve been arrested.
Some police leaders worried that three sentences uttered by the president during a Long Island, N.Y., speech could upend nearly three decades of fence-mending since the 1991 Los Angeles Police Department beating of Rodney King ushered in an era of distrust of police.
“It’s the wrong message,” Chuck Wexler, executive director of the Police Executive Research Forum, told Washington radio station WTOP while speaking of the trust-building work that departments have undertaken since King’s beating. “The last thing we need is a green light from the president of the United States for officers to use unnecessary force.”

http://twitter.com/GPDBenTobias/status/891032023086895105

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

There is no way this happened.

No it's true, I was there. Then they toasted 'long live to the swamp and George Soros! Inshallah!'

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Yeah, obviously trump saying that poo poo is hosed up but the cops who applauded should be fired wholesale. Impossibly dumb.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Kale posted:

I love that Trump is almost guaranteed to take the vindictive route and just refuse to put forth the funding for the current health care system out of pure spite. Apparently it's 3 weeks out until the funding has to be put forward. Just impeccable inspiring leadership as always.

You seem to think Trump is going to do anything except whatever Fox & Friends says the morning of 3 weeks from now. With everyone potentially on vacation there's a non zero chance that in three weeks Trump will be tweeting about the horrors of School because F&F decided the morning scare was integrated schools.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
What's this poo poo about a new repeal and replace bill?

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/29/senate-republicans-obamacare-repeal-241128

quote:

Trump, increasingly impatient with the long-stalled repeal effort, met with three Senate Republicans about a new plan to roll back the health care law on Friday, signaling some lawmakers — as well as the president — are not ready to ditch their seven-year campaign promise.

The group is trying to write legislation that could get 50 Republican votes, according to multiple administration and Capitol Hill sources. The proposal from Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) would block grant federal health care funding to the states and keep much of Obamacare’s tax regime. White House officials also met with House Freedom Caucus chairman Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) to brainstorm how to make the idea palatable to conservatives, according to two sources familiar with the meeting.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Check out the replies to that tweet.

:eyepop:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why don't they loving ask Collins and Murkowski what they need and make a bill out of that?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

go out and see a movie

dunkirk is very good, as is atomic blonde

Can confirm, Atomic Blonde owned.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm still unsure as to why McCain would fake cancer in the first place. (Is accusing McCain of this anything more than the caveman logic of "McCain receives sympathy for having cancer -> McCain did bad thing -> Must undermine the reason for him having sympathy)

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

"A friend of Scaramucci’s said he complained that some in the White House assumed his finances were suspect because he’s of Italian descent."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

This loving zombie bill...

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Is this not a crime somehow?

They would have to prove that there was intent to seek favors. Its pretty easy to say "Well, they invested so much in my company because they saw it had growth potential" and its hard to disprove.

At least from a criminal law standpoint. In a normal political climate, politicians would run away from an aide who has that type of thing, even if it is just the appearance. But here? Probably nothing.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Why don't they loving ask Collins and Murkowski what they need and make a bill out of that?
Because what they want in a healthcare bill isn't evil enough for people like Ted Cruz to vote for it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Can't they just move on? NO ONE WANTS REPUBLICARE!

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Covok posted:

Can't they just move on? NO ONE WANTS REPUBLICARE!

Trump says no
https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/891398183514918912

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Gortarius posted:

Check out the replies to that tweet.

:eyepop:

yeah they're great

https://twitter.com/TruthinGov2016/status/891083058069344256

related:

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/891398183514918912

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Is a bipartisan bill in the realm of possibilities at all? I'm pretty sure the Democrats are opposed to any effort that would reduce the number of insured people.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

JVNO posted:

Is a bipartisan bill in the realm of possibilities at all? I'm pretty sure the Democrats are opposed to any effort that would reduce the number of insured people.

It shouldn't be.

Republicans won't accept anything but a roll back to Obamacare to try to kill it, and Democrats aren't going to roll back their signature legislation.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

JVNO posted:

Nope. Nothing that would get Democrat votes will ever be proposed by McConnell (or his replacement).

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

JVNO posted:

Is a bipartisan bill in the realm of possibilities at all?

Hahahaha, no.

Like, in general, not just this.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
For some reason Grahams bill was never taken seriously by McConnell. Given what we saw from McConnells bill my guess is the block grant idea doesn't satisfy the more conservative elements and would not qualify as a good enough policy. He could try selling it to them as a vehicle to get to the House.

That being said nothing is happening until September at the earliest and 5 weeks is an eternity in the Trumpocene epoch.

farraday fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 29, 2017

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
McCain is out for a few weeks. You need to sell the new bill to two of Murkowski, Collins, and Capito.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trump is literally retarded. Like, medically.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

JVNO posted:

Anything remotely acceptable to Democratic leadership is unacceptable to Republican leadership and vice versa. The best the Republicans can hope for is to snag a blue dog or two, and even then, anything acceptable to the most conservative blue dogs is completely unacceptable to the HFC

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sure, hold the vote again, that'll really make a difference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKSgxJhVFcU&t=4s

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Pakled posted:

Anything remotely acceptable to Democratic leadership is unacceptable to Republican leadership and vice versa.

you say that but

https://twitter.com/NancyPelosi/status/891072112009637888

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I guess at least for whatever reason Trump is fixated on the poo poo that is the most politically damaging to himself and his party. Like any normal person would shut the gently caress up about the Russia investigation or deeply unpopular healthcare reform as soon as possible.

Delthalaz fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 29, 2017

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

JVNO posted:

Is a bipartisan bill in the realm of possibilities at all?
They kept the first bill locked in the basement of a different building, with armed guards posted to make sure no Democrat would be allowed to even see it. The word "bipartisan" was alternately used by Republican lawmakers as a punchline or an insult. If they did offer to cooperate now, it would stupid to trust for one moment that they'd operate in good faith.

Douglas Adams (paraphrased) posted:

“But the Healthcare bill was on display…”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the bill, didn’t you?”
“Yes, yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

farraday posted:

For some reason Grahams bill was never taken seriously by McConnell. Given what we saw from McConnells bill my guess is the block grant idea doesn't satisfy the more conservative elements and would not qualify as a good enough policy. He could try selling it to them as a vehicle to get to the House.

That being said nothing is happening until September at the earliest and 5 weeks is an eternity in the Trumpocene epoch.

Mmm. Don't they have to pass a bunch of poo poo by mid-September to avoid debt ceiling/government shutdown?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Mmm. Don't they have to pass a bunch of poo poo by mid-September to avoid debt ceiling/government shutdown?

WHO CARES WIN NOW! YOU GOTTA WIN WIN WIN!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Google Butt posted:

Yeah, obviously trump saying that poo poo is hosed up but the cops who applauded should be fired wholesale. Impossibly dumb.

Funny how the cop quoted said they should be "ashamed" rather than fired...

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Pakled posted:

Anything remotely acceptable to Democratic leadership is unacceptable to Republican leadership and vice versa. The best the Republicans can hope for is to snag a blue dog or two, and even then, anything acceptable to the most conservative blue dogs is completely unacceptable to the HFC

You can't really "snag" senators from the minority party ever since earmarks got outlawed. There is literally no legal leverage you can offer that would outweigh their own caucus making GBS threads on them from a great height.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The time they have left to do that once they get back is measured in days.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Can I just say again how much I loving utterly loathe twitter and the braindead idiots, bots and meme macro spammers that reply to everything and call it anything resembling political discourse. Like what a bunch of shrieking idiots replying to half of this stuff, what's the loving point, just do a public statement or something and cut out the twitter factor.

Honestly I think replies to official government twitter account should just be loving banned. Just make it read only, cut out all the loving idiots that call twitter a home. I just can't see anyway it does more harm than good, I mean you'll always have Fox News and InfoWars for the people that love to spew extremist rhetoric and insults out all over the political landscape but it'd be a start. A lot of the reason the U.S is in this mess is you have so many people that think this is all a joke or about getting one over on the other side and getting to use their favorite macros on twitter to taunt them.

Like gently caress me USA, like what a joke right, if we elect Trump we'll get the twitter president and get to use even more macros and poo poo.

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

She KNOWS that the GOP will never ever work bipartisanly so she's just calling their bluff.

• Locked thread