Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bosh was not a rim protector like DJ. The Heat went through many offensively-limited bigs who were decent defenders because of that reason. Bosh wasn't bad or anything, but it wasn't a big strength of his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Yeah an elite rim protector would add a hugely valuable component to the cavs for when they get destroyed by gsw small ball lineup

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

That's why you keep TT: to deal with the death lineup and also to avoid Hack-A-Deandre.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Lol there's no way they pay for two huge-contract centers, it's one or the other. TT was a non-factor this year

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ammanas posted:

Lol there's no way they pay for two huge-contract centers, it's one or the other. TT was a non-factor this year

That's pretty extremely not true

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I mean there isn't really a way the Cavs can counter what GSW has going on as they're currently constructed. But I think Beverley and Jordan would give them a better chance on the defensive end for sure.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

milk milk lemonade posted:

I mean there isn't really a way the Cavs can counter what GSW has going on as they're currently constructed. But I think Beverley and Jordan would give them a better chance on the defensive end for sure.

I agree and if I were the cavs I'd make this fake trade happen and trade TT for a decent wing

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Kibner posted:

Still mad the league wouldn't let the Pels be black and gold.

League "we have too many black jerseys already"
proceeds to allow almost half the league to have black alts.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Nah Bosh was just tall. His talent was more on the offensive side. DJ is miles above him on D. I know Blocks aren't precisely Defense, but they are close to "rim protection", and DJ regularly averages more blocks per game than Bosh did per 100 possessions (as in, if Bosh played a whole 48 minutes he'd get fewer blocks than DJ does in his 30-35ish minutes).

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

EvanTH posted:

Nah Bosh was just tall. His talent was more on the offensive side. DJ is miles above him on D. I know Blocks aren't precisely Defense, but they are close to "rim protection", and DJ regularly averages more blocks per game than Bosh did per 100 possessions (as in, if Bosh played a whole 48 minutes he'd get fewer blocks than DJ does in his 30-35ish minutes).

Bosh was integral to their switch everything style of defense. They also tried about a dozen washed true centers, including Shaq, the fat waste of space who falsely accused a man of pedophilia, because he didn't want to pay his due wages.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Doltos posted:

Pittsburgh has the black and yellow as their global scheme which is why I want a basketball team there. Detroit's steel city theme is cool af too which is why the Pistons and Red Wings are cool teams and the Tigers and Lions are both trash

The Lions play in a stadium that's supposed to look like an auto plant. They fit just fine.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

Bosh was integral to their switch everything style of defense. They also tried about a dozen washed true centers, including Shaq, the fat waste of space who falsely accused a man of pedophilia, because he didn't want to pay his due wages.

Shaq played with LeBron pre-Heat. He retired after playing for the Celtics in 2011. Shaq played with LeBron pre-Heat. (apologies if that's what you meant with your post, I barely remember how they used Shaq in Cleveland.)

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I remember thinking that Oden was gonna make a comeback with the heat. Also didn't they have Jermaine O'Neal for a minute?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/DetroitPistons/status/890260175642165248/photo/1

Pistons corp patch looks like adriatic league trash
gently caress this bullshit

Spacebump posted:

Shaq played with LeBron pre-Heat. He retired after playing for the Celtics in 2011. Shaq played with LeBron pre-Heat. (apologies if that's what you meant with your post, I barely remember how they used Shaq in Cleveland.)

I was confusing Lebron on the Cavs and Lebron on the heat, But they had all kinds of trash centers from Eddy Curry to old Zyldrauans, Jamaal Magloire, miss Jane Pittman's grandson Dexter, until they got a true rim protector in Birdman chris anderson to go along with Borsh

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Dejan Bimble posted:

https://twitter.com/DetroitPistons/status/890260175642165248/photo/1

Pistons corp patch looks like adriatic league trash
gently caress this bullshit

I was confusing Lebron on the Cavs and Lebron on the heat, But they had all kinds of trash centers from Eddy Curry to old Zyldrauans, Jamaal Magloire, miss Jane Pittman's grandson Dexter, until they got a true rim protector in Birdman chris anderson to go along with Borsh

Too bad Whiteside was such a shithead in training camp back then.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Ballmer is going to force out a bunch of Inglewood residents so he can have a nice shiny building for his toy.

picture taken from /nba post on this

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Normally I would be sympathetic, but Inglewood IS known for always being up to no good.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Ammanas posted:

Yeah an elite rim protector would add a hugely valuable component to the cavs for when they get destroyed by gsw small ball lineup

Having a great center has both advantages and disadvantages against a small ball lineup and I'm kind of tired of people just posting like there's no point in having a center anymore. It's really lazy and limited analysis.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I think it's weird when people say the Warriors' success is due entirely to their small ball tactics and not due to having four top-15 players on the same team.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Draymond and Klay are not top 15 players

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

If Draymond wasn't the past season, he was the one before. Will agree that Klay isn't.

Shear Modulus posted:

I think it's weird when people say the Warriors' success is due entirely to their small ball tactics and not due to having four top-15 players on the same team.

Who would have guessed having the best shooting point guard of all time in this era on a stacked team would lead to titles? Anyone paying attention

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
klay and dray have been all nba twice.

It's not a perfect measure, but they on that "level"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I mean my point is that saying "how will an elite rim protector help the Cavs beat small ball lineups" makes less sense than "how will an elite rim protecor help the Cavs beat a team with the best 3 shooting"

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Also the Warriors Best player is 7 goddam feet tall. Just because he can dribble really good doesn't mean he's not a big man,

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Libertine posted:

Having a great center has both advantages and disadvantages against a small ball lineup and I'm kind of tired of people just posting like there's no point in having a center anymore. It's really lazy and limited analysis.

there was that dude earlier claiming swapping TT and deandre would make the cavs spacing so bad that hes impossible to play. small ball has broken peoples brains somehow

as far as a rim protector goes, the cavs used mozgov, a pretty meh dude and nowhere near as good as dj in 2015 to eat draymonds lunch. just playing like 10 ft away from him and letting him sit there and choke on tears as he wafted up brick after brick was hilarious and good. eventually he started driving and getting owned at the rim cause he cant actually beat a tall dude 1 on 1. that particular set up has like 0 chance of working vs this version of the warriors(and probably this version of draymond too since hes gotten better) but that has nothing to do with small ball, it has to do with the individual ability of the players on that team. suffice to say having good defense instead of bad defense would be....good, no matter how small the ball

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Dejan Bimble posted:

Bosh going from a defensive sieve guy in Toronto to being a good P&R defender who takes 3s is such an underappreciated part of those Heat teams. He and Spo basically totally changed how he played so Dwyane Wade who won't even change the spelling of his name to be correct could keep diving into the paint. RIP Chris Bosh we miss you.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Draymond is so weird. He's a bad 3 point shooter who is still a threat to go 6/8 from three any given night

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Draymond is maybe top 10. He's still probably the most underrated player in the league.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DJ will do this every game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZcSCn9iebY

LBJ must convince him to do the underhand FTs though.

WhyteRyce posted:

Meh, what are you going to do with both Jordan and TT?

Flush TT down the toilet.

Shear Modulus posted:

I think it's weird when people say the Warriors' success is due entirely to their small

ball tactics and not due to having four top-15 players on the same team.

They have three of the top fifteen shooters.

Noctone posted:

I've given seafood an honest shot in places like Maui and Seattle and still found it barely

tolerable, some of us just don't have the palette for it.

Chairchucker posted:

You're supposed to be eating it, not painting it.

:lol:

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 29, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

what's mormonism's stance on the age and/or shape of the earth

Their position is that they don't know.

Doltos posted:

I believe that the worst play in basketball is a quick, mid-ranged two that misses. Not only did you promptly turn the ball over on a low percentage shot, you didn't do anything to do the defense before you did. At least post ups wear out the opposing big or have a good chance of drawing a foul while taking time off the possession.

The worst play in basketball is the line drive 3P attempt from 100 feet away.

Lockback posted:

Yeah I do see what they are doing and I don't really have a better alternative. I know the cupboard is pretty bare outside of DMC and AD, but I hope they were throwing everything else they could to try to get Butler or PG. If they got one of those guys they'd be an instant contender. I'd even mortgage my future on risking PG leaving. The Hill/Asik/Moore contracts have basically screwed that team over.

PG/DMC/AD getting a three seed or better in the west seems like a tall order. If DMC is healthy next year he's in danger of moving into the #2 position all-time for most MP with zero playoff minutes:

code:
Player			MP
Tom Van Arsdale		28682
Otto Moore		16893
Geoff Petrie		16787
DeMarcus Cousins	15570

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spacebump posted:

Ballmer is going to force out a bunch of Inglewood residents so he can have a nice shiny building for his toy.

picture taken from /nba post on this

"Imagine taking people's property, demolishing their homes, closing businesses, throwing people out of work and shutting down a respected house of worship."

Billionaires do that everyday.

Spacebump posted:

Kyrie better hope he lands on a team with defense or it's going to look bad. I imagine when he approached Kobe he was like "this is just like when you and Shaq broke up" while Kobe nervously tried to hint to Kyrie he isn't on the level of Shaq or a younger version of himself. (because he doesn't play a 2 way game.)

Kyrie compares favorable with Kobe through the first six seasons:
https://www.basketball-reference.co...o01&idx=players

Both of them would look worse if they weren't next to Shaq/LBJ of course.

Shear Modulus posted:

I mean my point is that saying "how will an elite rim protector help the Cavs beat small ball lineups" makes less sense than "how will an elite rim protecor help the Cavs beat a team with the best 3 shooting"

Cavaliers had the best 3P shooting last year but the Cavaliers would have to hope that GSW went extremely cold.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Maybe Balmer is doing it to force a Seattle move??

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

Draymond is so weird. He's a bad 3 point shooter who is still a threat to go 6/8 from three any given night

He was shooting nearly 40% from 3P range last year.

Niwrad posted:

Draymond is maybe top 10. He's still probably the most underrated player in the league.

Seems like a hard case to make this year. Gobert was nearly the #1 WS player in the whole league and missed the ASG and received zero MVP votes of any kind.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Zogo posted:

He was shooting nearly 40% from 3P range last year.

Seems like a hard case to make this year. Gobert was nearly the #1 WS player in the whole league and missed the ASG and received zero MVP votes of any kind.

.388 that year, but .308 this year and .333 and .337 the two years before. Pretty clear which season is the outlier

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

.388 that year, but .308 this year and .333 and .337 the two years before. Pretty clear which season is the outlier

the .308, of course!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

i miss chriss bosh and KD pays women to fart in his face hahahaa

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bosh's health is such a bummer; the league environment has just become more and more perfect for him and his game was set to age really gracefully

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Niwrad posted:

He might be the best wing defender in the league, but plenty of guys have held that distinction and not been enough of a factor on the other end to be top 10. He really isn't any different

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Aye Doc posted:

the .308, of course!

Make sure me curious. Unfortunately afaict there's no way to search bref for the worst individual 3pt or overall shooting seasons by guys who were "really" good shooters, or the best seasons by guys who actually were mediocre to bad, like Dray in 16 or Thabo in OKC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Chris Bosh once pretended to ejaculate on live television and dumped a bottle of champagne over his head.

Which is to say, he owned and I miss him

• Locked thread