Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
no

[edit] Uhhhh

So top of the page HUH?

How about those Comic Books? I hear they have spuperheros in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

The seesaw scene is amazing.

Are you as consistently wrong in real life as you are in BSS?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SlimGoodbody posted:

Are you as consistently wrong in real life as you are in BSS?

I never said it was good. I said it was amazing.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The Question IRL posted:

I think it was moving from making a "low budget" movie like Chronicle (15 million) to a mega budget studio movie. The stress was too much.
It sounds mundane when you say it out loud but it's happened to lots of people before.
Yeah that's the problem with Hollywood right now, there aren't that many mid budget movies anymore, its just low budget indie/horror flicks and big budget blockbusters

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's plenty of middle budget stuff still, it's just that now a middle budget is above $100 million. Enough money that the studio is still going to be heavily involved to protect the investment.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, same thing with Trevorrow and Gareth Edwards, right? Thought it seems to have mostly worked out with them (so far).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ya, Deadpool and Logan are about as mid-budget as a major studio effects movie is going to get.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd love to know why Fox is completely incapable of translating Doctor Doom. They need to put some twist on him, as if the monarch of a country that is both a evil scientist with a robot army and a wizard is something they can't do.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

He's not evil, though. That's the best part!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

I never said it was good. I said it was amazing.

I'm pretty sure some thesaurus has"amazing" as a simile for inexplicable.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I had no idea you grew up in Latvaria. Is it better than Marvel Canada? drat Arctic Wolverines.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Doom's reoccuring problem is that no matter how well he improves things, in the end, he'll either get bored of utopia or pulls some poo poo like taking away people's free will or setting himself up as a sort of god king.

Don't buy into the meme. Doom's only in it for himself.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
Fallen Rib
That's just Reed propaganda.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's what actually happened in the stories where he succeeded in taking over.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Doom saved everyone* and is the only** reason there's still a Marvel universe.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doom is just a ridiculous character at this point. They just keep upping the stakes with him all the time like a kid making up a character. He's a king. Also he's Iron Man. And a wizard. And he can time travel and it doesn't break anything because he's the only one who thought of that. No, no! You didn't shoot me, that was a robot clone! I'm still safe in my castle.

He's such a marry Sue.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Doom's patented linear time travel technology is great and just works. His stint as Iron Man has also been pretty good.

Doom is just great, you guys. One day a movie will show this.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aphrodite posted:

He's such a marry Sue.

gently caress Ben
Marry Sue
Kill Reed

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aphrodite posted:

Doom is just a ridiculous character at this point. They just keep upping the stakes with him all the time like a kid making up a character. He's a king. Also he's Iron Man. And a wizard. And he can time travel and it doesn't break anything because he's the only one who thought of that. No, no! You didn't shoot me, that was a robot clone! I'm still safe in my castle.

He's such a marry Sue.

If it wasn't for him then Thing would never be Blackbeard

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

bobkatt013 posted:

If it wasn't for him then Thing would never be Blackbeard

Haha that was great. I've been reading old silver age marvel stuff and it's amazingly campy.

Daredevil is really bad though

E: I'm a wise-cracking hero, with red as a primary color. I primarily fight with agility and acrobatics while swing around buildings, aided by a powerful superhuman sense that lets me pick up on things others might miss and often helps me avoid danger. Also my personal life is a complete mess. Who am I?

christmas boots fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 30, 2017

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

fruit on the bottom posted:

E: I'm a wise-cracking hero, with red as a primary color. I primarily fight with agility and acrobatics while swing around buildings, aided by a powerful superhuman sense that lets me pick up on things others might miss and often helps me avoid danger. Also my personal life is a complete mess. Who am I?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Haha that was great. I've been reading old silver age marvel stuff and it's amazingly campy.

Daredevil is really bad though

Good thing they never did anything to differentiate him or had a character-defining run that fundamentally changed the tone of the book forever then!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Chickenwalker posted:

Good thing they never did anything to differentiate him or had a character-defining run that fundamentally changed the tone of the book forever then!

I'm complaining about Silver Age Daredevil. I know the character isn't like that forever

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My favorite Silver Age Daredevil was the FF crossover where he switches bodies with Doctor Doom. After they switch back, Doom calls the FF, pretending he's still Daredevil, and tells them Doom is coming for them in Daredevil's body. Spider-Man shows up to help, and then they recruit Thor who Spidey randomly saw on the street. Stan and Jack didn't care how Thor was going to get into the book. They just wanted a bitchin' splash page of him fighting the Thing.

Sue breaks up the 3 v 3, and sets things straight. It's a lazy excuse to have a issue long fight, but seeing Kirby draw Spidey and Daredevil is a treat.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That's something I love about most of the Marvel guys being centered in NY. You might be on your way to a big battle and bump into Iron Man on the street.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Spider-Man Annual #1 is great for that - there's a bit where Flash and his friends are chasing after Peter, turn a corner and run straight into through Dr Strange's astral form.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

I'm pretty sure some thesaurus has"amazing" as a simile for inexplicable.

Seriously, it's amazing that it made it into the final cut.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Not really when you remember what the marketing strategy was. Like, those jokes Reynolds et al made about Deadpool being a date movie? That was literally the idea with Daredevil, they were dead set on pushing the romance angle. The freakin' thing came out on Valentine's Day.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That actually explains a lot. Not that it's anything new. I remember reading a book about the history of Hollywood and there was a studio exec complaining about how some tough guy gangster movie didn't have a romance in it. He said something like "Where's the kiss? Women only come to see a movie like this to see the kiss!".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Not really when you remember what the marketing strategy was. Like, those jokes Reynolds et al made about Deadpool being a date movie? That was literally the idea with Daredevil, they were dead set on pushing the romance angle. The freakin' thing came out on Valentine's Day.

It's a terribly composed scene. It doesn't matter what their intent was, it's just bad. So bad it loops around to being amazing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

It's a terribly composed scene. It doesn't matter what their intent was, it's just bad. So bad it loops around to being amazing.

So you're saying it's the Room condensed into a single scene?

You're tearing me apart, Foggy!!!!

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
So Atomic Blonde is based on a graphic novel, can we talk about how "amazing" that movie is holymyfuckinshit!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So by amazing being in quotes, I assume you didn't like it?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Spider-Man Annual #1 is great for that - there's a bit where Flash and his friends are chasing after Peter, turn a corner and run straight into through Dr Strange's astral form.

I think the first 1/3rd of that annual is just Stan plugging all the other Marvel comics within the confines of the story.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think the first 1/3rd of that annual is just Stan plugging all the other Marvel comics within the confines of the story.

The whole idea of Marvel's Silver Age shared universe was shameless marketing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Open Marriage Night posted:

My favorite Silver Age Daredevil was the FF crossover where he switches bodies with Doctor Doom. After they switch back, Doom calls the FF, pretending he's still Daredevil, and tells them Doom is coming for them in Daredevil's body. Spider-Man shows up to help, and then they recruit Thor who Spidey randomly saw on the street. Stan and Jack didn't care how Thor was going to get into the book. They just wanted a bitchin' splash page of him fighting the Thing.

Sue breaks up the 3 v 3, and sets things straight. It's a lazy excuse to have a issue long fight, but seeing Kirby draw Spidey and Daredevil is a treat.

That’s such a dick move of Doom. It’s loving perfect.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Emoji Movie is at $25 million for the opening weekend. It cost over twice that.

Gear up for more of Marvel's Spider-Man, everyone.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That’s such a dick move of Doom. It’s loving perfect.

It was actually one of the better Daredevil runs if you embraced the absurdity of it all. The way he gets Doom to switch them back is that since everyone believes he is Doom, he uses his new authority to immediately declare war on every surrounding country, so Doom has to abandon his plan to keep people from nuking the poo poo out of Latveria.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It was actually one of the better Daredevil runs if you embraced the absurdity of it all. The way he gets Doom to switch them back is that since everyone believes he is Doom, he uses his new authority to immediately declare war on every surrounding country, so Doom has to abandon his plan to keep people from nuking the poo poo out of Latveria.

That’s an even more dick move from Matt. I really need to look this run up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamesman posted:

Emoji Movie is at $25 million for the opening weekend. It cost over twice that.

Gear up for more of Marvel's Spider-Man, everyone.

Half your budget domestic opening weekend is actually pretty good.

• Locked thread