Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I don't think an hour spent playing Horizon is enough to even get past the childhood opening bits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Andrast posted:

When I hear about people that spent hours upon hours in Bloodborne's starting area, I really want to see them play the game. I legitimately can't understand what they are doing.

my first few hours up to and including the gascoigne fight were primarily me wondering if i had lost the ability to play that kind of action game in the year plus i had spent without playing a souls(like). so from experience they're probably crying and calling their mom to apologize.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't think an hour spent playing Horizon is enough to even get past the childhood opening bits

Yea it is I stoped after you see that old lady and are involved in some rite of passage. I did a side quest and then was just running away from robot raptors for awhile. It just wasn't engaging .

Nier Automata is a far superior game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I spent awhile in the opening area of Bloodborne but I honestly don't know how long I was there overall. That might have been some if my favorite time with the game though because I hadn't yet gotten a feeling for the game and how it flowed so I spent it all tense with an intense feeling of unease.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Mr President posted:

Yea it is I stoped after you see that old lady and are involved in some rite of passage. I did a side quest and then was just running away from robot raptors for awhile. It just wasn't engaging .

I felt like Nier was boring as heck after the first boss.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There sure is a lot of walking. At least the music is amazing.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i was not super into horizon for the first couple hours but warmed up to it once it opens up. give it another go if you run out of stuff to play.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Nier is a good game, but calling it superior to Horizon is just laughable.

The story is interesting, but is doled out in fits and starts over the course of thirty hours of insanely repetitive gameplay. There's the core of an interesting action game in there, but your characters become super powered super quickly and the game becomes as mashy as a Musuo game. The hacking minigame repeats the same bullet hell patterns over and over. Eventually, they start bringing in new enemy types, but after 15-20 hours of gameplay at that point. The graphics are just dreadful. I intend to finish it, but my hat truly goes off to anyone who mainlined the three playthroughs in a short timeframe. The only way I got through playthrough 2 was to leave it for a couple weeks. It's telling that most people say to just flip it into easy mode for the second run. That's not good design.

Horizon is by no means perfect, but the combat is excellent, the story ramps up nicely and you can ignore the sidequests when it starts getting repetitive. Plus it looks incredible. Like a game from the near future.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:agreed: I struggled to get through the second play through of Neir as well. Making you literally repeat at least half of the first play through in it was terrible design. Luckily, the third is the most interesting and is entirely different. You are still running around the same 200 sq feet of the blandest environment ever seen in a game though and fighting the same 5 enemies you've killed 50,000 times for the most part.

Overall, I thought it was a really draining and tedious game that stretched a few hours worth of content into 30.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Hey if I'm in the mood to build poo poo, but don't like minecraft cubes, should I get 7 days to die or Ark? Is there another option?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

wurm online

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

From what I've heard Ark probably.

Plus I want to hear some goon impressions of it. It's one of those games that's hugely popular but no one here plays it. I'm honestly sort of curious about it. It looks janky but kind of fun.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

The End posted:

The graphics are just dreadful.

:thunk:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yakuza is alright. I enjoyed it but it definitely has some translation problems and pointless scenes. Worth playing though.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That reminds me, I need to get Dragon Quest Builders.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Empress Brosephine posted:

Yakuza is alright. I enjoyed it but it definitely has some translation problems and pointless scenes. Worth playing though.
Are you talking about Yakuza 0? I can't keep track of which is the latest one that has been translated.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah Zero, Kiwami doesn't come out until next month in the West.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Empress Brosephine posted:

I really enjoyed the past Yakuza games, but the latest one I didnt. There is just way too much dialogue and story, and as you pointed out, it just does not translate well. And the gameplay has changed very little and its like Schenmue with updated graphics.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm kinda the opposite but this is my first and I really enjoyed the fighting but the story was A bit too much and redundant. And I know it's a trope of yakuza movies but does everyone have to turn on everyone?!

Mini games where okay although that disco one is odd

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
Is DOOM actually free this weekend or is it just a part of the demo? I played through a small chunk of it last night and now it's saying I beat the campaign demo.

I'm not done with my download yet, I have like 10 more gigs to download. Is it free multiplayer only or something instead?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah, it's a chunk of the single player and all of the multiplayer.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

People always say horizon gets much better once you get past the start, but how much are they referring to as the start? I've cleared out basically everything on the far right side of the map and have a solid number of hours invested in it at this point, but it is still just not engaging to me. Graphically it looks amazing but I don't feel any drive to do things.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Digirat posted:

People always say horizon gets much better once you get past the start, but how much are they referring to as the start? I've cleared out basically everything on the far right side of the map and have a solid number of hours invested in it at this point, but it is still just not engaging to me. Graphically it looks amazing but I don't feel any drive to do things.

If you havent been to meridian you hosed up

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Digirat posted:

:agreed:

I also cleared the right side of the map and just got to Meridian, and at this point I have zero desire to shoot another robot with a bow.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yakuza 0 having bad translation? Wuh? Whoever did the localization deserves an award. There's loads of personality in that translation.

In Horizon, in Meridian you can buy the best gear, unlock all the combat options you want and the whole rest of the map is available which contains the biggest and hardest robots you fight. The whole right side of the map is the training wheels zone.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The meal just started but you filled up on bread

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Real hurthling! posted:

The meal just started but you filled up on bread

Yup. Don't burn out on irrelevant side bullshit. Play the story and to side stuff for a break. I was getting burnt out doing everything in the east, started to burn out on the game a bit and went back to story. Enjoyed the game even more after that, went through story then did a bunch of sidequesting near the end since smashing robots was so much fun when you have lots of tools at your disposal..

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fats posted:

:agreed:

I also cleared the right side of the map and just got to Meridian, and at this point I have zero desire to shoot another robot with a bow.

It picks up at Meridian and fully hits its stride by the Maker's End quest. The right side of the map is pretty unbearable, I agree.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Mr President posted:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You could say that about half the poo poo in the last couple of pages

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If you've spent hours in Horizon just playing on the east side of the map and you're getting tired of fighting robots in fields that's a good time to just start focusing on the main story quest and just follow the story to the end. That's when most people really get into it. After Maker's End is the point where if you're not into it you never will be.

HZD is one of my favorite games of all time.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

mutata posted:

If you've spent hours in Horizon just playing on the east side of the map and you're getting tired of fighting robots in fields that's a good time to just start focusing on the main story quest and just follow the story to the end. That's when most people really get into it. After Maker's End is the point where if you're not into it you never will be.

Yeah, but if people have really spent a ton of time filling out the east side, they'll probably be too burnt out to even get that far. Bummer for them!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Digirat posted:

Basically, Meridian like people said, but the reason is that before that you really have no idea the scope of the story or the world. The map is much more varied and interesting than you would infer from the first hours. You have mountains, deserts, blizzarding snow areas, lush jungles, cool remains of the old world, intricate human settlements where each section has its own culture, architecture etc. and some way more sci-fi stuff I won't get in to for spoiler reasons. Then on top of that ,the real great part about the story is how it ties into the old civilization and what went wrong, which the game actually does a great job of explaining (like, practically every question you could come up with about how things came to be is answered pretty thoroughly). In the early hours it's easy to think the story is just a generic hero's journey deal, but there is actually way more to it than that.

TLDR: The opening hours are a really bad way to judge the final experience you'll have playing the whole thing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

someonedisagreedwithme.gif

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, if you've only been shooting dinosaurs with like, 2 types of arrows and that's basically it, no wonder you're bored of it.

But in general, why you just do open world bullshit if it's boring instead of advancing the story? I guess I just don't understand how people play games by choosing to the do the part they find boring instead of seeing what else the game has to offer.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
It took me three or four tries to get into Horizon whereas with Nier I didn't want to do anything else with my time but play it. One of my biggest problems early on was visual overload and turning on dynamic UI helped with that, but there are still times where it's too much.

I think a large part of it depends on how tired of open world games you are :shrug:

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I was the other way around; loved Horizon and got everything but the hunting ground trophy, but bounced completely off Nier:A and put it down forever. Just a personal taste thing.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Nier was a slog but when the setting and music were right combined with some smooth button mashing action it was bliss

Starting horizon soon

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jimbot posted:

Yakuza 0 having bad translation? Wuh? Whoever did the localization deserves an award. There's loads of personality in that translation.

In Horizon, in Meridian you can buy the best gear, unlock all the combat options you want and the whole rest of the map is available which contains the biggest and hardest robots you fight. The whole right side of the map is the training wheels zone.

There's a lot of repeating one word sentences that a character said it's annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

my motivation to slog through ending b of nier is quickly disappearing.