Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Norns posted:

What FFs had good final dungeons

1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

So to confirm: You think Chrono Trigger would be better if the lead characters, rather than go on an adventure to save the world when they learn it will be destroyed, should just go home and say "well, it'll be a thousand years before the world is destroyed, let's go home and forget all that."

i would legit like this being a secret ending in the game, and its even possible it is and i forgot

i always did love trigger's multiple endings schtick

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

2 has you go thru the palace of hell man, that was a good dungeon and def deserves to be up there

i mean yes it was also a confusing mess but it's hell, thats the point!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
So my reward for killing the first Demon Wall with Reflect > Aero is a Scathe Mote.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

So my reward for killing the first Demon Wall with Reflect > Aero is a Scathe Mote.

Yeah, and dont spend it all in one place.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

mandatory lesbian posted:

yeah but not even hell irl has monster closets

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

corn in the bible posted:

You forgot Mystic Quest.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

2 has you go thru the palace of hell man, that was a good dungeon and def deserves to be up there

2 doesn't have any good dungeons.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

some guy on the bus posted:

You forgot Mystic Quest.

Valid even just for the BGM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2upPEhhzTTw

:rock:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

So to confirm: You think Chrono Trigger would be better if the lead characters, rather than go on an adventure to save the world when they learn it will be destroyed, should just go home and say "well, it'll be a thousand years before the world is destroyed, let's go home and forget all that."

I just want them to have some more concrete motivations than bland, brainless altruism. I like origin stories like Spider-Man because it's very realistic. When given superpowers, what is the first thing you'd do with them? Go out and make some money. It's not selfish or wrong, you're helping those you love. Going out and fighting crime though is just craziness.

It took a great personal shock to turn Peter into what he became. Frog and Magus have powerful reasons to do what they do and it makes them compelling characters. The "kids" meanwhile are just like "let's save the world!" and that's all the thought put into it. That's just not interesting to me.

Plus I just don't like the inconsistency. The first use of time travel in CT is distinctly cautionary. One little thing in one little kingdom had some repercussions. But our heroes proceed to abuse time travel for the rest of the game in ways that could have devastating consequences. (and Chrono Cross seems to have taken that idea and ran with it)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I just want them to have some more concrete motivations than bland, brainless altruism.

They thumb their nose at fate and go do something exciting and fun.

Lucca: Lavos?... Is that what's destroying our world?!
Marle: We must truly be in the future... No! NO WAY! I refuse to believe it!! This can't be the way the world ends...
Marle: There's only one thing we can do! We must change history! Just like Crono did when he saved me!
Lucca: We can't just go back to our world and live comfortably after seeing this...
Lucca: It was a stroke of luck that we were sent here through that Gate.

Quoted: apparently an unrealistic reaction to learning a giant space porcupine is gonna gently caress up the planet.

Edit: said it way better than I could vvvvvvv

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 29, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Straightforward characters with simple motivations are cool and good imo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I just want them to have some more concrete motivations than bland, brainless altruism. I like origin stories like Spider-Man because it's very realistic. When given superpowers, what is the first thing you'd do with them? Go out and make some money. It's not selfish or wrong, you're helping those you love. Going out and fighting crime though is just craziness.

It took a great personal shock to turn Peter into what he became. Frog and Magus have powerful reasons to do what they do and it makes them compelling characters. The "kids" meanwhile are just like "let's save the world!" and that's all the thought put into it. That's just not interesting to me.

Plus I just don't like the inconsistency. The first use of time travel in CT is distinctly cautionary. One little thing in one little kingdom had some repercussions. But our heroes proceed to abuse time travel for the rest of the game in ways that could have devastating consequences. (and Chrono Cross seems to have taken that idea and ran with it)
They're presented with a single chance that nobody else has ever had to save the world, and they take it. They're the only ones who are traveling through time who know about Lavos. So they do the thing any sane human being would do: try to stop it. It's not complicated. You're just asking Chrono Trigger to be a completely different piece of fiction, and for reasons that don't actually make any sense for the game or its world or its direction or its writing or

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chrono Trigger is a Saturday morning cartoon of a JRPG and that's ok.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

tl;dr I'm increasingly concerned that goons don't get fiction.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Chrono Trigger is the perfect JRPG isn't it
Like the characters are fun and varied the battle system is cool and super innovative for its time the graphics and music are incredible the plot is super fun it's got a ton of content and so many optional endings

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

ffuck saving the world.....we should like....pick up babes from every single era

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

GulagDolls posted:

ffuck saving the world.....we should like....pick up babes from every single era

I mean you have a time machine by definition you have all the time in the world so let's see how many tiddies babes in 4500 AD have

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Calaveron posted:

Chrono Trigger is the perfect JRPG isn't it
Like the characters are fun and varied the battle system is cool and super innovative for its time the graphics and music are incredible the plot is super fun it's got a ton of content and so many optional endings

It is and Nintendo Power called it way ahead of time. It's the only game I can remember being hyped up enough to buy on day one. Boy did it deliver.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Calaveron posted:

I mean you have a time machine by definition you have all the time in the world so let's see how many tiddies babes in 4500 AD have
Hell yeah now we're talking about a gritty reboot I can get behind.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

It is and Nintendo Power called it way ahead of time. It's the only game I can remember being hyped up enough to buy on day one. Boy did it deliver.

I remember I discovered and figured out emulators and ROMs back in the summer between middle school and high school and you bet your rear end the first game I got was Chrono Trigger because I missed the train of being able to buy it on the SNES
I still remember struggling with transparency layers because SNES9x wouldn't do them and having to mash 3 to turn off that layer to be able to actually see in Geno Dome but turn it back on for cool spell effects

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

zedprime posted:

Hell yeah now we're talking about a gritty reboot I can get behind.

titty reboot

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FF4. Every random battle was a boss battle, it was filled with secrets and super boss battles, and you had the awesome Red Wings theme for it.

Yeah FF4 is my go-to example of a final dungeon that's hard but not TOO hard. Is nice.

FF6 cheats and has two of the best final dungeons in JRPG history. First time through I legit thought the halfway point was the end of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Yes it is. It is 100% selfish and wrong. That is in fact the point of Spider-Man?!

His catchphrase is literally "With great power comes great responsibility."

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Calaveron posted:

I remember I discovered and figured out emulators and ROMs back in the summer between middle school and high school and you bet your rear end the first game I got was Chrono Trigger because I missed the train of being able to buy it on the SNES
I still remember struggling with transparency layers because SNES9x wouldn't do them and having to mash 3 to turn off that layer to be able to actually see in Geno Dome but turn it back on for cool spell effects

Back in the day I thought that was intentional. Don't ask me how I got past that

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

They're presented with a single chance that nobody else has ever had to save the world, and they take it. They're the only ones who are traveling through time who know about Lavos. So they do the thing any sane human being would do: try to stop it. It's not complicated. You're just asking Chrono Trigger to be a completely different piece of fiction, and for reasons that don't actually make any sense for the game or its world or its direction or its writing or

I'm not asking it to be anything else. I'm saying what I personally would have preferred. I didn't like Chrono Trigger much. It's functional and has some good moments but I played it once and that was enough.

Like I said a few pages back now, CT and FFVI are both held up as these paragons of JRPG's but I can only see why that is with FFVI.

ImpAtom posted:

Yes it is. It is 100% selfish and wrong. That is in fact the point of Spider-Man?!

His catchphrase is literally "With great power comes great responsibility."

Peter using his power to win unfair fights but not to stop an easily stopped criminal is what was wrong and selfish there. But he had to be made aware of this fact in a cruel fashion because most people are content to help themselves and their family and that's all anyone can expect from them. The shock was necessary to make Peter rise above normal mentality and adopt a superhero mentality.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

NikkolasKing posted:

Sorry you're so loving broke-brained that you can't understand the motivation here but Chrono Trigger remains popular because people from all walks of life can identify with protecting the planet they grew up on, even if it doesn't affect them in their lifetime.

I think I've ragged on Chrono Cross long enough but it's missing this undercurrent of hope that is present in every final fantasy. Even FFX, which is pretty much designed around death and destruction, has Tidus, who is pretty much symbolic of hope and change.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

GulagDolls posted:

This is the plot of my CT romhack sequel.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Chrono Trigger is a very good game but there are definitely jrpgs I like more and think are better. Though I first played it with the DS remake so it wasn't ever a part of my childhood or anything.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ROFL Octopus posted:

Sorry you're so loving broke-brained that you can't understand the motivation here but Chrono Trigger remains popular because people from all walks of life can identify with protecting the planet they grew up on, even if it doesn't affect them in their lifetime.

I think I've ragged on Chrono Cross long enough but it's missing this undercurrent of hope that is present in every final fantasy. Even FFX, which is pretty much designed around death and destruction, has Tidus, who is pretty much symbolic of hope and change.
There's nothing wrong with a sense of melancholy or a downbeat RPG: see FF Tactics. The problem with CC is that it's incredibly inconsistent in tone. It feels like several games mashed together.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

FactsAreUseless posted:

There's nothing wrong with a sense of melancholy or a downbeat RPG: see FF Tactics. The problem with CC is that it's incredibly inconsistent in tone. It feels like several games mashed together.

Actually I've never played FFT :shobon:. Is the PS1 or PSP version better, for a total outsider?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

People are gonna say it's the PS1 version because it has the meme lines, but the true answer is iOS because it's the PSP version with no slowdown.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ROFL Octopus posted:

Actually I've never played FFT :shobon:. Is the PS1 or PSP version better, for a total outsider?
PS1 patched to have the PSP translation. It's easy to find online. The PSP version runs slow and the bonus content is skippable.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Secret of Mana has always been my favorite snes rpg. But I played Chrono Trigger way too late and I never finished it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you're patching games, it's easier and better to play the PSP version because PPSSPP is a way better emulator.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Chrono Trigger is a very good game but there are definitely jrpgs I like more and think are better. Though I first played it with the DS remake so it wasn't ever a part of my childhood or anything.

yeah. it was ground-breaking at the time but other games did it better. kinda like OOT for me, i don't like OOT bc i've played games that did it better before playing it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tae posted:

If you're patching games, it's easier and better to play the PSP version because PPSSPP is a way better emulator.
I had a really good PS1 emulator setup back when I was using emulators, so you may be right. I remembered the emulated PSP version still having the slowdown?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I had a really good PS1 emulator setup back when I was using emulators, so you may be right. I remembered the emulated PSP version still having the slowdown?

I'm saying if you're suggesting ps1-patched PSP translation, there's already a PSP version with slowdown removed.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

FactsAreUseless posted:

PS1 patched to have the PSP translation. It's easy to find online. The PSP version runs slow and the bonus content is skippable.

i don't like the new translation. is there a patch that does the opposite because thatd be great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tae posted:

I'm saying if you're suggesting ps1-patched PSP translation, there's already a PSP version with slowdown removed.
Oh lol. I guess I never found it.