Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Thief posted:

haven't played the italian one yet but have spent a lot of time in the American one against everything from N1Ks to Mig15s. the only thing you're gonna outrun are other entry level jets.

the most worthwhile things about it is that it is good for ground attacks and has american .50s and honestly I would only play it in SB or tank modes.

The IRL Air Force came to the same conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I rather dogfight with the IL-28 than struggle with the .50s of the 84, this means Hunters and F2s but it feels good to rub their clubber noses in it. Had a Hunter play the escape game for five minutes on Korea crying he didn't want to pay the repairs. He ate poo poo.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
My friends, my essentially stock F-84G is the fastest thing at 7.3

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Me just playing and goofing off: Tanks are fun! Especially doing silly gimmick poo poo!

Me the moment I work towards a goal: *insert screaming and swearing as Gaijin's tasks elude me*

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Recoome posted:

My friends, my essentially stock F-84G is the fastest thing at 7.3

It's so fun to get dived on by by F84Bs all day and then see those guys complain about how the G is totally OP pls nerf.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Shanakin posted:

The US F84 definitely has a weaker engine than its peers and has very poor energy retention in turns. It's also 8.0 as I recall, which means it either gets downtiered, or uptiered into 9.0 matches since there's not really 8.0 matches all that often, if ever. In 9.0 matches it's not particularly impressive.

The Italian one has a somewhat better engine, but still has most of the same problems as the American version.

So yeah it's not 8.0 not sure where that was coming from.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
F-84 is a bad fighter, an OK support plane, and a pretty decent tactical bomber.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Me just playing and goofing off: Tanks are fun! Especially doing silly gimmick poo poo!

Me the moment I work towards a goal: *insert screaming and swearing as Gaijin's tasks elude me*

Just be like me and give up on the tasks before you can even start them. :v:

(I won't have Tier III planes any time soon, and there's only so much I can do with the Achilles.)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol:

wikipedia posted:

Thanks to the thick straight wing the Thunderjet rapidly reached its Mach 0.82 limitation at full throttle and low altitude. The aircraft had sufficient power to fly faster, but exceeding the Mach limit at low altitudes resulted in a violent pitch-up and structural failure causing the wings to break off.[6]
One F-84E pilot credited with two MiG kills achieved his second victory by intentionally flying his aircraft into pitch-up.[6] The MiGs chasing him were unable to follow the violent maneuver and one crashed into the ground. Luckily for the F-84E pilot, the aircraft did not disintegrate but the airframe did suffer heavy warping.
Pilots nicknamed the Thunderjet "The Lead Sled".[2] It was also called "The Iron Crowbar", "a hole sucking air", "The Hog" ("The Groundhog"), and "The World's Fastest Tricycle", "Ground Loving Whore" as a testament to its long takeoff rolls.[2] F-84 lore stated that all aircraft were equipped with a "sniffer" device that, upon passing V2, would look for the dirt at the end of the runway. As soon as the device could smell the dirt, the controls would turn on and let the pilot fly off the ground. In the same vein, it was suggested a bag of dirt should be carried in the front landing gear well. Upon reaching V2, the pilot would dump the dirt under the wheels, fooling the sniffer device.[2]

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Solumin posted:

Just be like me and give up on the tasks before you can even start them. :v:

(I won't have Tier III planes any time soon, and there's only so much I can do with the Achilles.)

I actually got frustrated at being knocked out of a game relatively fast despite (or because) I was doing quite a lot, trying to really push the team to the 10/10 victories I needed. Walked away, came back, had the achievement because somehow I still had over 70% battle activity.

I had 3 wins earlier that didn't count because I had 62, 63 and 67% activity despite being in the entire round...just not seeing anyone or being in a slow-rear end SPAA (hence not seeing anyone). Battle activity is THE dumbest loving stat.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Much as I love this game I don't usually do more than maybe 10 games of it a day. Often it's more like 5 or 6. After some point I just get tired of it, or there's a couple soul crushingly boring matches, or there's a great match that's a good high note to end with, and I don't really want to play anymore for that day. Gaijin's tasks usually require more games than my daily average, so... even if I can tough it out and grind it out it's not enjoyable. I did the tasks for a high tier thing once (the premium Tigercat), but I honestly cannot see me going for anything other than the low tier rewards again. The tank premium looks really sweet at least, so that's good!

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

:allears:

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Alkydere posted:

I actually got frustrated at being knocked out of a game relatively fast despite (or because) I was doing quite a lot, trying to really push the team to the 10/10 victories I needed. Walked away, came back, had the achievement because somehow I still had over 70% battle activity.

I had 3 wins earlier that didn't count because I had 62, 63 and 67% activity despite being in the entire round...just not seeing anyone or being in a slow-rear end SPAA (hence not seeing anyone). Battle activity is THE dumbest loving stat.

Battle activity is just percentage score of the winner on your team.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

NickBlasta posted:

Battle activity is just percentage score of the winner on your team.

Still loving stupid.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
These summer event tasks are easy as hell in sim tonks, at least. Last years for the tigercat could be a crappy grind sometimes, but this seems pretty easy if you're a decent pilot in sb. I was able to get both stars after ten games.

A 2000 score is real easy if you can kill a plane and a few tanks, then j out if you want to apply it to the tank cheevo instead. Only need to do that four times in sim, and by the time you have that you'll have the two kill cheevos done too.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

https://gfycat.com/FickleFamiliarAoudad

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

loving beautiful.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

:fsmug:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Nice little boat you've got, it would be a shame if it entered line of sight in range of my cannons

Meanwhile pubbies cry of how destroyers are perfectly balanced and should be tier 2 BR 3.0

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Can anyone explain what happened here? Why do I have the Wellington available for research?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Solumin posted:

Can anyone explain what happened here? Why do I have the Wellington available for research?

I recently returned and discovered this too, likely from tech trees being heavily reworked in some cases. It sucks in a lot of situations because some of those planes can't be bought even if you research them, because you need to have purchased the preceding plane, which means you need to have researched the preceding plane, and so on and so forth. The only time you benefit from these reworks is if you had already bought certain planes before those patches hit, it seems

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I see. My account is not even a month old, so it must have been a recent change.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
If it's genuinely only a month old, then it's a bug of some kind. One that doesn't really change much I guess. If I had to guess perhaps the wellington is set not to require the previous vehicle in the line (like the spitfires and hurricanes, which you will note lack the arrows coming down from their T1 predecessors), whereas the UI clearly displays it as a requirement.

The "normal" reason you get cases like this is because these vehicles have been added in between points you have already unlocked to. The Hampden and Sunderlands are indeed much newer than Wellingtons, but this would not apply if your account was really created so recently.

Anyway report it if you want, or not. It shouldn't really affect anything.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I had a bug at the same time where a plane I had just unlocked (the Sea Gladiator, I think?) received no research at all. I wonder if it's related?

I'm not going to worry about it.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Nah that just happens sometimes with it not syncing properly. It should sometime when you log in suddenly get the missing research added.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKvkZYBK1P0

This is one of the only reasons I play tanks

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
Something I've wondered. The Italian F-84 looses it's tip-tanks when you take rockets. Does it gain any performance after firing it's rockets compared to a tip-tank F-84?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/UnfitNewAfricancivet

:eyepop:

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Lowcard this is the warthunder thread, not the dirt rally thread.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I've always wanted to do that, bonus points if you can shoot and hit while in the inverted part of the roll.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Shanakin posted:

Lowcard this is the warthunder thread, not the dirt rally thread.

:italy:'s Lancia tank line is gonna be op!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Shanakin posted:

Nah that just happens sometimes with it not syncing properly. It should sometime when you log in suddenly get the missing research added.

Sometimes when they add new modules to a plane that was formerly spaded, you can examine the plane in customization and then check out its modifications window and suddenly it'll apply any additional RP from the last time you used it/the round it was spaded/something like that. Pretty great bug I gotta say.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Any thoughts on buying a premium vehicle vs. buying a premium bundle vs. buying a talisman?

My main argument against buying a bundle (and some premium vehicles) is I'm not spending $30 on this game. So a talisman on something like the Spitfire V or Panzer IV F2 sounds like a good idea.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
It depends entirely on the vehicle, nation and tier. For example, I would 100% suggest a talisman on the M36 over buying any of the US premiums, including the T29 now. For the Russians the IS-6 is a killer premium for the tier if you can use it well. Same with the Ru-251, it's just straight a tank you can't get in the normal tree unless you jump to 8.0.

Don't play 5.7-7.0 Germany CARB though, unless you like losing a lot.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 7, 2017

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Solumin posted:

Any thoughts on buying a premium vehicle vs. buying a premium bundle vs. buying a talisman?

My main argument against buying a bundle (and some premium vehicles) is I'm not spending $30 on this game. So a talisman on something like the Spitfire V or Panzer IV F2 sounds like a good idea.

really just buy the thing that interests you

you can min/max stuff all day in this game but really one of the ideas behind premium planes are that they let you skip the grind and get straight into either an iconic warplane or a novelty unicorn. thats why my personal recommendation when buying anything premium is to just save eagles for a plane that you otherwise couldn't get in your favorite tree through normal play

but for many people, the P-51 is like their favorite hero plane of the war or whatever and there are bundles for stuff like that

edit: also premium captured planes are very cool and pay 2 grief which when i was living inside this game is where like 90% of my eagles went

Thief fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 7, 2017

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Premium vehicles have an additional silver lions bonus that a talisman doesn't add.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

:eyepop:

:rice:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I'm at Tier 3 in British tanks (which is where the RP boost starts to seem necessary -- 61k RP is painful!) and Tier 2 for American and German tanks and Italian, Russian, American and British planes.

An RP boost for getting through the dense American, Russian and German trees seems also necessary.

Jack Forge posted:

Premium vehicles have an additional silver lions bonus that a talisman doesn't add.

I'm not particularly hurting for silver lions right now, though I know late tier stuff gets ridiculously expensive. 850k will last me a while, I think. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

850k will suffice for now but if you insist on playing tanks into tier 4 or god forbid you will need to either get a premium tank or use planes to feed your habit

as far as premium vehicles go if you're not going to spend much, buy something cool and unique. examples are the yak 3 vk107, ac iv thunderbolt, d.520/1, t-35 etc. if you insist on getting a rebranded free plane, make sure it owns bones like the 109 g-2 or the japanese corsair.