Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Almost feel bad for WTFO, maybe he should play some games with goons, just to get his sense of humour/fun back. SC just sucks the life and soul out of people, they forget that on both sides of the fence, we are all gamers and I reckon if you remove SC as a factor, then they will probably revert to normality.

Or they'll just poo poo their bed, scream like a toddler and rage punch their own face, I dunno.

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

Eh, probably not tonight. The wife has the night off from studying, so I'll probably hang out with her.

Filthy heretic.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

XK posted:

I posted this to WTFo stream:

I was banned in literally 2 seconds.

By the way, Beet, I heard you comment on the F13 game in your stream. It is buggy as poo poo, but I've watched hours and hours of streams for it, because it's fun as poo poo. It all depends on the group you get.

$40 is a bit much, you are right, it really should be like $20-25. Still looks fun though, and I love watching streams of it, by people I like at least.

Almost all of the really bad bugs have been fixed by now. You still occasionally have the fuse clip into the ground if someone dies with it on a surface that isn't nearly level and Jason can still sometimes get knocked out of the map if he gets hit while grabbing someone out of a car but you can save yourself with the morph ability. Also, it is really fun and since rounds are only 20 minutes at the most it's not such a big deal if something like that goes wrong. Just make sure to drop the fuse if you have it and you think Jason might kill you just in case.

I'm the type of person who almost never pays more than $15-20 for PC games and F13 was well worth $40 for the amount of fun I've had with it.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 29, 2017

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

[Citation Needed][Citation Needed][Citation Needed][Citation Needed][Citation Needed][Citation Needed]

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
i'm still amazed that these idiots don't find it odd this well be the second year in a row when they will be getting 1 patch in a whole drat year.
1 patch a year!

It's loving hilarious.

Remember the time they wanted to do a patch a month lmao.

Crazy_BlackParrot fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 29, 2017

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Regrettable posted:

Almost all of the really bad bugs have been fixed by now. You still occasionally have the fuse clip into the ground if someone dies with it on a surface that isn't nearly level and Jason can still sometimes get knocked out of the map if he gets hit while grabbing someone out of a car but you can save yourself with the morph ability. Also, it is really fun and since rounds are only 20 minutes at the most it's not such a big deal if something like that goes wrong. Just make sure to drop the fuse if you have it and you think Jason might kill you just in case.

I'm the type of person who almost never pays more than $15-20 for PC games and F13 was well worth $40 for the amount of fun I've had with it.

It's a great stream game.

They need a few more maps, and a little bit more mechanics, plus the single player (planned). Only a little bit more mechanics, though. This is the sort of game you could ruin with too much fiddling about with the mechanics.

It's a $20-25 game now, with more refinement it could be worth the $40. That being said, people are getting a hundred hours, or more, out of it, and it's hard to argue against $40 for a hundred+ hours.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

So basically the debate about Star Citizen has devolved to two factions, then:

1) The people who know it's garbage and that everyone involved can't stop stepping on their own dicks, think that this is very funny, and are laughing at it for as long as it continues.

2) The people who know that it's garbage, secretly or not so secretly hate it (hi MoMa! hi wtfo! Hi Cymelion!), but can't actually admit it because they are employed by the company, think they are going to make money on the product somehow, or against literally every shred of evidence still believe that it's going to turn the corner and become good and that their faith will be rewarded (as opposed to just, you know, getting out and coming back in a couple years if it doesn't suck).

Given that we all basically agree that it's poo poo and bad, I feel like that point has been well and truly established now and we should move on to other aspects of the discussion like: has anyone ever actually made money streaming a game on twitch, or flipping assets in a game? Is this a regular enough occurrence that anyone should base their livelihood on it or is it more like gambling where everyone's chasing that mythical payout?

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

i'm still amazed that these idiots don't find it odd this well be the second year in a row when they will be getting 1 patch in a whole drat year.
1 patch a year!

It's loving hilarious.

Remember the time they wanted to do a patch a month lmao.

They never said 1 month on which planetoid. Maybe they meant a Pluto month which is 20 Earth months...

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
fact is, star citizen is dead.
3.0 will not bring salvation.

actually 3.0 doesn't even matter anymore.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
i don't know understand how they can reconcile croberts' repeated broken promises - which are never put down to lying or deliberately misleading but rather to some kind of naive but well-intended underestimation of project difficulty or an overeagerness to please the fanbase - and the idea that croberts knows what he's doing.

how can you have faith in a project led by a man who has never been right, especially after amassing five years' evidence of repeated failures, repeated misinformation, repeated deadline extensions orders of magnitude beyond what the backers are told to expect

it baffles the mind

smdh

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

my mind would be loving blown if they turned the current build of star citizen into something playable

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

XK posted:

It's a great stream game.

They need a few more maps, and a little bit more mechanics, plus the single player (planned). Only a little bit more mechanics, though. This is the sort of game you could ruin with too much fiddling about with the mechanics.

It's a $20-25 game now, with more refinement it could be worth the $40. That being said, people are getting a hundred hours, or more, out of it, and it's hard to argue against $40 for a hundred+ hours.

Yeah, I've already put in 150 hours in just under 2 months and I agree with this assessment.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Sarsapariller posted:

Given that we all basically agree that it's poo poo and bad, I feel like that point has been well and truly established now and we should move on to other aspects of the discussion like: has anyone ever actually made money streaming a game on twitch, or flipping assets in a game? Is this a regular enough occurrence that anyone should base their livelihood on it or is it more like gambling where everyone's chasing that mythical payout?
Are these rhetorical questions?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
The Captain's Table, SC podcast stream starting now, should be funny with today's delay news: https://www.twitch.tv/theastropub

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

So basically the debate about Star Citizen has devolved to two factions, then:

1) The people who know it's garbage and that everyone involved can't stop stepping on their own dicks, think that this is very funny, and are laughing at it for as long as it continues.

2) The people who know that it's garbage, secretly or not so secretly hate it (hi MoMa! hi wtfo! Hi Cymelion!), but can't actually admit it because they are employed by the company, think they are going to make money on the product somehow, or against literally every shred of evidence still believe that it's going to turn the corner and become good and that their faith will be rewarded (as opposed to just, you know, getting out and coming back in a couple years if it doesn't suck).

Please don't spend another 3k on this

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

thatguy posted:

He's playing CS:GO now. He said he has an account but he's not MoMA because that would be "too obvious" lol.

I'm sure he's one of the half dozen cleverly named 0 post accounts that are constantly lurking here lol.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

thatguy posted:

Are these rhetorical questions?

Well apparently not for everyone.

Ayn Marx posted:

Please don't spend another 3k on this

I also kickstarted The Mandate.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmBRgqRrLyM&feature=youtu.be

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

I hope you learned valuable lesson.
If you kickstart something you gotta spend over 10k to make it worthwhile investment.
less than that means you wont get guarantee's for sunk cost fallacy

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Sarsapariller posted:

You and Alexander DeLarge could be the forum canary for failed videogame projects. Its a gift.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Sarsapariller posted:

Please tell us all the games you've funded so we can figure out if we need to get refunds and/or calculate your success ratio.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm sure he's one of the half dozen cleverly named 0 post accounts that are constantly lurking here lol.
How do we know you're not WTFOSaurus?!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Kromlech posted:

Can one be WTFO and Uncle Derek at the same time?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Kromlech posted:

I mean, nobody has ever seen us in the same room together. Excluding of course that time I killed him on stream. But that easily could have been staged.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
its me austin

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kromlech posted:

WTFOSaurus is a cat person. Enough said.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I'm Ben Lesnick, and i'm angry at you.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/162904617?t=16m15s

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

What if they somehow release 3.0 and there is some kind of game in there? Is it even possible?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Crazypoops posted:

What if they somehow release 3.0 and there is some kind of game in there? Is it even possible?

Maybe we'll all load up 3.0 and SimCity will be in there.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Crazypoops posted:

It'll be a really bad game. I'd buy in for sim city 2000 though

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6qdxh1/i_am_a_star_citizen_fan_which_is_why_im_asking/?st=J5PXIGPF&sh=66b2cd49

Problem is, if funding stopped tomorrow, I'm pretty sure CIG employees would stop getting pay checks.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Crazypoops posted:

Welcome. What is your SC story? With our handles I feel like we are long lost brothers.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Kromlech posted:

It'll be a really bad game. I'd buy in for sim city 2000 though

I rented that poo poo for the SNES, and then there was a huge snow storm, and the rental store said I could keep it for another 2 days.

It appears only original SimCity was released for SNES, not 2000, it was still fantastic, though.

I used all the cheats to make amazing cities, while not shoveling the sidewalk.

Better than SC. gently caress yeah!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Crazypoops posted:

It's not possible, they'd have had had to hide talent and ability for nearly 5 years.

The scale of deception involved here I really think has passed people by, even here. You need years to make a game, they can't make a patcher, the ability to put anything together that's not a scripted event linked to a sale is completely beyond them.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
I don't even work in the game industry and I could put a delta patcher together in 2 weeks.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Please tell us all the games you've funded so we can figure out if we need to get refunds and/or calculate your success ratio.

Here you go. Oddly enough, SC wasn't on there when I visited the page. Guess they removed me when I got a refund? Didn't know that was a thing.

Warmachine and Battletech both are turning out pretty okay. Jury's still out on Infinity, though it seems like it's doing well, and The Mandate and Star Citizen are complete failures.

Rating: 2.5 terrible game decision canaries out of 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kromlech posted:

I'm Ben Lesnick, and i'm angry at you hungry.

Ben fat