Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

TwoQuestions posted:

I haven't played in a couple years, and haven't bought the expansion. Is it worth it to buy the current expansion or should I wait until the new one comes out, or is it not coming out for a long time?

Supposedly HoT will be included in the next expansion. Possibly preorders for it on August 1st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

SoldadoDeTone posted:

That's my problem. I haven't seriously played the game for years, but I've tried to get back into it half a dozen times (including getting the first expansion). But every time I log in I'm so overwhelmed by all of the content and the crazy gear everyone around me has, so I log off and uninstall.

I'm open to advice for how to handle this because I do like the game!

Don't try to do everything, don't worry about other people's poo poo. Just find stuff to do that's cool and fun, and if you need help with content, ask goons or look on the LFG tool for other people doing stuff and join them. There's also guides online (Dulfy) that can show you how to get to places and do certain things you're stuck on.

Set yourself small goals you want to accomplish, like getting a specific gear set or cool looking weapon skin. The achievement tracker is useful for that because you can tell it to track a specific achievement you're working on.

Some things you might do:
-Run around maps that are around your character level and get one character to level 80, if you haven't yet
-Get Exotic gear on that level 80, which is easiest to do by buying it on the TP or just asking goons in guildchat
-Do daily achievements (check the daily tab; this gets you an easy 2 gold per day, helpful for getting exotic gear)
-Jump puzzles, if you like platforming
-Story, if you don't mind bad writing and want to ease into various maps and content
-Character design; go to the wardrobe tab in the bank and find a cool character design/dye scheme you want, and start working towards collecting the pieces to make it
-Fractals, if you like dungeon-like content
-Work on getting ascended gear. A good way to start this is the new maps (you can use that map currency to get ascended trinkets) and the specialization collections (an achievement category that awards you an ascended weapon and the end)
-World completion; try and 100% maps by exploring and doing hearts
-Find a map you like and grind it by just constantly running around doing events
-PvP, if you hate everything holy and good in this world and like dying and then getting yelled at by the one person on your team who died more than you
-WvW. Best way to start is probably find a commander tag and follow it around (wear tanky gear to start off, probably), or join goons for WvW Wednesday if you're on Maguuma.

But don't try and do all of it at once, if that's going to overwhelm you. Just pick a thing that's fun and do that.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

You have to ignore poo poo like legendaries. They're for after you eventually find that you've done the mass amount of content of the game, it's a way to find more poo poo to do with the stuff you've already done. Exotic gear is more then enough for 99.9% of the content of the game, with that last 0.1% being harder level versions of poo poo you can do in just exotic gear.

Achievements too. You can't look at them like a checklist of poo poo to do, but more like suggestions. Maybe with a bit heavier suggesting on the ones that give mastery points. Even then those mastery points aren't created equal. I'm lookin' at you, shooting gallery gold.

But I understand. I've definitely been overwhelmed by poo poo in this game. Masteries got me to quit for a while after the expansion came out and all my friends had massively "out-leveled" me and I was trying to finish the story mode with only the first 2 glide masteries and bounce shrooms.

First is finding a class you like. As people pointed out earlier, you can try out a max leveled version of the class with all the unlocks in the PVP mode. Try out the builds from here. After you find one you like, just kinda go and do stuff. I found it helpful to pick a single goal. Don't stick to it as a hard MUST ONLY DO THIS ONE THING, but as a guiding force for how you want to play. For me that goal has been at various times in the almost 5 years of play: map completion, finishing the personal story, doing all the dungeons, finishing the living story, map exploration for the expansion (this one catches a big wall with the way masteries work), finishing the story in the expansion, crafting a set of full ascended gear, finishing the gliding mastery tree, etc.

For me, the meat of the game is in the PVE content: Map Completion and Story Missions. You'll find that a lot of the XP and masteries come just from running event chains from start to finish.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

ApeHawk posted:

Yeah, once he clocks out, he becomes Palthazar.

When he does crossdressing he becomes Galthazar.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I was thinking of playing an Asura Revenant healer but I dunno if I can handwave away the whole 'armour' thing. As in, pretty princess dress up, I mean. I kinda think that I might like Revenant (though haven't touched the game in about a year) but looking sweet whilst doing stuff is pretty important too.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Innerguard posted:

I was thinking of playing an Asura Revenant healer but I dunno if I can handwave away the whole 'armour' thing. As in, pretty princess dress up, I mean. I kinda think that I might like Revenant (though haven't touched the game in about a year) but looking sweet whilst doing stuff is pretty important too.

don't bother being a healer

revenant is really good for open world, you kill stuff very fast

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Innerguard posted:

"Healing" is something all classes can do by themselves. You can make a fun Ventari build where you drop healing poo poo everywhere and explode healing on people by throwing a big rock tablet around. However, that's really only useful for dungeons, fractals, PvP, and WvW. Most of the time you just wanna run around and clear tiny trash mobs.

Also, heavy armor has plenty of stuff you can play dressup with

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
A lot of the mesmer guides I see are out of date. I've never messed with the class much and I'm still low level. Enjoying it, but are they useful for open world stuff later on? I just want to explore now and theorycraft later.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

A lot of the mesmer guides I see are out of date. I've never messed with the class much and I'm still low level. Enjoying it, but are they useful for open world stuff later on? I just want to explore now and theorycraft later.

All open world stuff you can do whatever the hell you want and have fun with. Mesmers are fun and good, and super useful in pretty much everything you might ever want to do.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Uranium Phoenix posted:

"Healing" is something all classes can do by themselves. You can make a fun Ventari build where you drop healing poo poo everywhere and explode healing on people by throwing a big rock tablet around. However, that's really only useful for dungeons, fractals, PvP, and WvW. Most of the time you just wanna run around and clear tiny trash mobs.

Also, heavy armor has plenty of stuff you can play dressup with

Yeah I'll be playing with my other half who'll be more kill orientated so I figure if I have supporty skills it'll help out. I just want to make sure that

1) Revenant support/heal skills and abilities aren't garbage
2) I can actually play dressup with stuff that isn't plate armour.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

dad on the rag posted:

Supposedly HoT will be included in the next expansion. Possibly preorders for it on August 1st.

I think the rumor is that there will be a reduced cost bundle that includes both.

Remember, HoT is the base game now. They aren't doing that with this new expac again, I think.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Revenant heals aren't garbage, but they aren't good enough to be a primary healer in raids, which is the only content that requires a healer. Only druids and ele's can do that, and I think ele's only do that on high level groups.

Dress up is a concern though because ANet still has class restrictions in place, which is kind of dumb since armor is worthless for spotting classes with outfits out there. If you can't find a plate armor or an outfit you like, you won't be happy.

We are going to have a balance patch between now and the expac, so hopefully on Tuesday they say something about that. It could be minor or it could shake up the meta, I am hoping power builds get a buff.

SkullMuffinz
Jan 31, 2011

I like things that are dumb.
From what I remember (and this could be completely out of date or just flat out incorrect) rev healers do have the numbers to pull the job off, but the other two classes that can do the role (Druid/Ele) are flat out better at it because they also bring buffs and utility.

Druids have grace of the land, spotter and the spirits which are all amazing offensive utility, while Ele can poop out auras which gives defensive utility like 10% damage reduction along with near permanent vigor. Ventari rev can't compete with that unfortunately.

As people have already said though, that bit only really matters for raids (and maybe WvW? I don't do that mode much) so if you plan on just doing open world events and story with your S/O then do whatever the heck you want. Maybe do a hybrid build with Berserker stats and some Healing Power (Magi, Cleric, etc) stats thrown in for good measure?

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Whats the best 1% area thats inside the world? I like the newest one, but I really, really hate that I have to go through 2 loading screens to get anywhere.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Nektu posted:

Whats the best 1% area thats inside the world? I like the newest one, but I really, really hate that I have to go through 2 loading screens to get anywhere.

DR or Lava Lounge imo

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Nektu posted:

In the latest AMA they did state that they are working on something to help with this, because I hate it too. It may just be an exit button to go back to previous location though.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
The new JP is really fun and well designed. I did it in about 15 minutes without a guide and there was only one slightly unintuitive part.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Eltoasto posted:

In the latest AMA they did state that they are working on something to help with this, because I hate it too. It may just be an exit button to go back to previous location though.

FWIW, I have this hang up too. But on the upside, buying the new VIP area means never having to go to Lion's Arch again.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

ItBurns posted:

The new JP is really fun and well designed. I did it in about 15 minutes without a guide and there was only one slightly unintuitive part.

Agreed, one of my favourites in the game so far. You're referring to that one totally blind jump/glide around the edge right?

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
How's Ryzen 7 1700 handle the game?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
here is a write up of my experience with the ANET support team https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/6qdlzh/my_badgood_experience_with_anet_support_in_regard/

here is their response https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/69dilz/we_sometimes_make_mistakes

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Good guy Anet, wouldn't have seen this under Colin!

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

lucifirius posted:

How's Ryzen 7 1700 handle the game?

The game seems to be CPU bound so if you're buying parts to max out GW2 performance then you'd probably want to get a 7600k and an aftermarket cooler.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Agreed, one of my favourites in the game so far. You're referring to that one totally blind jump/glide around the edge right?

Yes.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Hm, from what I've been seeing and finding, R7 1700 competes pretty well with i7 7700k, and is better on programs that use multiple cores really well, and it should be fine with Guild Wars.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Mistlock Sanctuary is cool and good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd7X5Gv8ddc

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

lucifirius posted:

Hm, from what I've been seeing and finding, R7 1700 competes pretty well with i7 7700k, and is better on programs that use multiple cores really well, and it should be fine with Guild Wars.

why did you even ask

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Don't buy AMD hth

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
gw2 is an ancient pos so its going to be better on an intel, but who buys a cpu just for this game EH EHHH?!

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I'm trying to get multiple perspectives on it, it's for more than just this game, and if I can get similar results for cheaper then I would prefer it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

lucifirius posted:

I'm trying to get multiple perspectives on it, it's for more than just this game, and if I can get similar results for cheaper then I would prefer it.

Just go to the SH/SC forum and post there, you've already got your mind made up to buy a thing, ask them what to buy.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Well I'm unsure how it will run with the games I play so I'm asking the people that play the same games. I'll probably just go Intel to be safe since it's seeming like the multiple cores won't be as useful.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

lucifirius posted:

Well I'm unsure how it will run with the games I play so I'm asking the people that play the same games. I'll probably just go Intel to be safe since it's seeming like the multiple cores won't be as useful.

Important question, how big is your monitor, resolution wise? Do you run multiple monitors? How many monitors do you run if you do and what are their resolutions?

If you are running a 1920x1080 monitor like what is available from most best buys etc, you will be perfectly fine running just about any combination of graphics card and cpu you can think of. I run both EVE and GW2 on a gaming laptop from 5 years ago with what is approximately a GTX480M in it, and achieve perfectly playable framerates just fine at 1920x1080. The break point between Intel and AMD beyond warranty support or weird bugs with drivers, performance wise is negligible for mainstream games.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 30, 2017

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
This will be my first build and I'm looking at dual 23 inch 1080p monitors with a Gigabyte 1080.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

lucifirius posted:

This will be my first build and I'm looking at dual 23 inch 1080p monitors with a Gigabyte 1080.

You will be just fine no matter what graphics card and cpu you use because you will only be running a game on one screen. a 1080 is absolute overkill to drive a single 1080p panel in 3d.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I'm basically looking at parts that will last me a while since this will be my big selfish purchase before/after I get married.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
Ya'll ever think we're just a bunch of asses living inside an even bigger rear end...?

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Post expansion announcement, I really hope they replace the pre-announcement splash at the end of ep6 with an actual lead in like the one at the end of Point of No Return. It's such an abrupt jarring end as it stands.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Thank you very much to the Dentists who helped explain some higher level fractal stuff to me and helped me do my first T4s, looking forward to more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
GW2: Portal of Farts.

• Locked thread