Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
The Bronn/Jaime Sand Snakes fight was pretty tight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

IRQ posted:

Are they just going to have the ice king or whatever go around it? That would be dumb.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

uhhhhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghprWEjcNRY

this?

I don't see it. But everyone has their own opinions.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
And I like the Whedon-esque grrl power fight scenes, truly

Brienne's about my favorite character in the books and the show

It just didn't do it for me :shrug:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Even now, you'll find something new about it which is just dreadful every other loop.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

syscall girl posted:

uhhhhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghprWEjcNRY

this?

I don't see it. But everyone has their own opinions.

sarcasm

your head

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
InvictaHog is a cruel taskmaster who will always come in this thread with predictions for new books

And I fall for it like Charlie Brown and FOOTBALL

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's okay bb, it happens to everyone.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Even now, you'll find something new about it which is just dreadful every other loop.

I never noticed Whip Snake's dagger that she carefully holds as far from Bronn as possible while spinning.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I can never tell which dagger tittysnek is supposed to be parrying with. It looks like she forgot which one the choreo called for, half assed both, and somehow it was still the best take they had.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

She only starts her movement to parry it by the time the sword swing has reached full extension and realistically would be stuck in her body.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Apparently the scene was rewritten to make him die like a chump instead of a hero because after the actor saw the initial script he wrote a letter to the producers about how important Barristan is to Danny's arc and if they would reconsider their decision.

what, really?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Also the actor was old as balls and couldn't really do much in the way of badassery

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Is showJaime good at swording again after 2 training sessions? Or did they drop that arc completely?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I just love that GRRM has stopped having comments on his site after the Valyrian post.

Which, of course, was posted when he finished Dream of Spring

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
tight being the operative word here. Tight as being drunk.

Sand Snakes fight still takes tops for being the worst. Tower of Joy fight a close second.

Battle of the Bastards is half smart tactics from Ramsay, and half batshit idiot braveheart tactics from Jon. And a whole heaping of really dumb stuff like the wall of bodies.

Blackwater Bay is okay, but it relies on nighttime to cover how few people are actually scrapping and to hide weaker fight choreography.

Ned vs Jaime is silly and dumb. Brienne vs Loras is nice for showing off armor that works.

Best fight is Bronn vs Vale dipshit. Second best is Brienne vs Hound, except that the closeups and quick edits ruin the image quality.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 29, 2017

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

^^^^
Agreedo. Snakes fight has the occasional bum flash tho.

Which, of course, was posted when he finished Dream of Spring

We're through the looking glass here, people.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

Also the actor was old as balls and couldn't really do much in the way of badassery

That's what stunt doubles are for.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7201962

Can't find an immediate source on the part about the producer's reaction, could've just been something invented by the TVIV thread.

From this entertainment weekly interview: https://www.google.com/amp/ew.com/article/2015/05/01/ser-barristan-dead-thrones/amp/

quote:

How did you find out?

It proves you should probably not read the books. I’ve read the books. So I thought this season I was going to have more to do, and I was really looking forward to that. And then I got my dates from my agent and I thought, ‘That doesn’t tally.’ Because there was no way if they were sticking to the books that I should be in for that number of weeks. It seemed to me they must be writing me out. So I had a word with the line producer and said, “Can you corroborate that they’re writing me out?” Then the [showrunners] rang me and told me, ‘Your time is up in this series.’ So perhaps I took them by surprise that I knew.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Iirc it was at a Q&A where one of the D's talked about a cast member who wrote a letter asking them to reconsider his death, then the answer was douchey af. At work but I'll try to find it.

e: Found it. Timestamp 1hr13m10s.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

hobbesmaster posted:

Can't find an immediate source on the part about the producer's reaction, could've just been something invented by the TVIV thread.

Yeah that was a case of a game of telephone. They just laughed at the actor for not wanting to be killed off before his character had a chance to do anything. They never intended him to have a hero's death or do anything special.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, it was less 'you asked us to keep you alive so we made your death lovely' and more 'you asked us to keep you alive, but we went ahead, killed you anyway and laughed about it later at a Q&A'.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

The gladiator bout at the Great Pit deserves special mention in bad fights, for the previously unstoppable-seeming spear dude deliberately impaling himself on Jorah's sword

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HxlJp7izBE&t=230s

the previous Jorah pit fight, where he went full WWE and punched out a bunch of dudes using improvised weapons, was fun, though.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The show continuously underplays how dangerous the knights should be. The professionals like Jorah, Jamie, Loras and so on are literally trained from birth to be war machines and outfitted with top of the line armor.

There's a scene in the books where Victarion in full plate armor murders his way through an entire boat of lightly armored regular troops and suffers nothing more than a hand injury.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Jorah in full plate vs that Dothraki was a p fun early season fight.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

esperterra posted:

Yeah that was a good lesson for team rape

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

esperterra posted:

yeah was gonna post this. it was good too because the dothraki had been making fun of Jorah and westerosi knights for being dumb slow babies with their full plate armour up to that point. then. you know. Jorah used loving slaughtered that guy.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
karl drago's fight where he tore out that dudes tongue afterwards was p good too

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Blind Sally posted:

karl drago's fight where he tore out that dudes tongue afterwards was p good too

In general the first two seasons were, with some missteps and mistakes that generally fall in the realm of acceptable, excellent TV and about as good an adaptation as you could reasonably hope for given the material.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Season one's fights were good because they never lingered on them too long, so the ones that had iffy choreo didn't really stand out. Bronn's was the longest, no?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The standard for TV fight scenes has risen so much since Game of Thrones first aired that its impressive that the fights not only did not improve from season 1 and 2, but got worse. I mean, the Last Kingdom improved on its fights scenes from the pilot to the season finale, and only got better into season 2. They went from their hilariously over the top triple shield wall gimmick to just a straight up shield wall, and silly costumes aside, that's more or less how early medieval battles were fought (lack of spears notwithstanding).

What I'm saying is you should watch The Last Kingdom, it's pretty good.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I like how the thread title change has gotten absolutely Zero push back.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
Why would it, it's good advice

Only thing better would be "Just do something else entirely"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I like how the thread title change has gotten absolutely Zero push back.

Well George Martin might write another book. And it could include interesting changes from the television program.

I'd like to read several different changes he made from the HBO show, I would. I just get the feeling that's never going to happen. Not in summer 2018 when the series wraps. Not when they start the spin-off series

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...s-a7865276.html

which hopefully will be about Dunk and Egg.

I'm looking forward to Dunk and Egg book 4 but I think we'll have Wild Cards before they get that in production.

tbf he was originally a television writer, he bit off a little bit more than he could chew with ASoIaF

I would have loved loved if Disney could have gotten him out of his stupor to do an edit re-write of their live-action Beauty and the Beast.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Short stories were really perfect for him. I got into ASOIAF because I was already a fan of his when AGOT came out. I had the Sandkings anthology (that particular collection is long out of print but I think all the stories are in other anthologies of his) and I just adored it in high school and re-read some of those stories half a dozen times. I don't know if they stand up today but what I loved about them was how strongly atmospheric each story was in its own way. All these different stories that felt completely different from one another.

He should just go back to doing that. He doesn't have the stamina for anything else.

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 30, 2017

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Fevre Dream was good

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I loving love Fevre Dream.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

None of the potential spinoffs are about Dunk & Egg because he still plans to write the rest of them someday and doesn't want his second most famous series taken away from him too. Really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TOOT BOOT posted:

None of the potential spinoffs are about Dunk & Egg because he still plans to write the rest of them someday and doesn't want his second most famous series taken away from him too. Really.

he is a bad man