Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

"Flowers for the Broken Spirit" is one of the endings of Drakengard. Maybe it's just that.

That's ending B, where Inuart successfully gets Furiae into a seed of resurrection. Not seeing the parallels here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Qrr posted:

I mean, 9S was corrupted and was unwilling to upload his data to the bunker because of that. Then he uploaded his data to a bunch of machines. Frankly it doesn't seem like that would do anything to uncorrupt it, and would in fact do literally the opposite. So it certainly seems like he's a machine boy now.

He'd accidentally left uncorrupted data behind in the network somehow I think? And that version was up to speed cause it had observed 2B killing the old 9S but didn't say anything cause it was still figuring out how cool being a machine collective was.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.

Sindai posted:

Maybe this time he decided to surprise everyone by making each ending successively happier.

Next is the Scooby Doo ending:

"Let's take off Eve's mask and see who he really is!"
"Old man Pascal!?"
"That's right! And I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling androids!"
"Analysis: Jinkies."

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Arkannoyed posted:

PerfectInEveryWay.gif

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Arkannoyed posted:

Next is the Scooby Doo ending:

"Let's take off Eve's mask and see who he really is!"
"Old man Pascal!?"
"That's right! And I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling androids!"

Ending: Do It for Sco[O]by Snacks

I don't care what O really is, this is now the one.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'd be into that. Except it might turn out more like my av.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I appreciate them trying to make the ending impactful with a character death, but it really just falls flat when they point out he can restore his data from like 20 minutes ago. Nothing that character-building happened since 9S performed an orbital faceplant. They started the game off with him losing a couple minutes of memories from self-destructing and it was no big deal.

Also, 2B and 9S, you know you can just pull out your OS chip for a quick and painless death, right? 2B is an old pro at it. No need to go for the strangulation method.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

I appreciate them trying to make the ending impactful with a character death, but it really just falls flat when they point out he can restore his data from like 20 minutes ago. Nothing that character-building happened since 9S performed an orbital faceplant. They started the game off with him losing a couple minutes of memories from self-destructing and it was no big deal.

Also, 2B and 9S, you know you can just pull out your OS chip for a quick and painless death, right? 2B is an old pro at it. No need to go for the strangulation method.

Oh, so who died and made you the expert on murdering 9S? Because it wasn't 9S, I can tell you that for free.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'd be into that. Except it might turn out more like my av.

Where in the hell did that come from, anyway? I've wondered for ages.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

idonotlikepeas posted:

Where in the hell did that come from, anyway? I've wondered for ages.

The avatar? some DeviantArt/Tumblr user. Loputon.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's quite haunting.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Schwartzcough posted:

Arguably, that 9S that gets reloaded is a different entity than the one on the Earth. It's the Transporter problem all over again. Think of it this way. Imagine that they 3d printed a copy of 9S and reloaded him from the back up, except while 2B and 9S were fighting Eve. Obviously, that's a different entity, but why does reloading after the earth bound copy dies make a difference?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

I appreciate them trying to make the ending impactful with a character death, but it really just falls flat when they point out he can restore his data from like 20 minutes ago.

That's explicitly a point in the ending though. Is the person they restore from 20 minutes ago the same person?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Schwartzcough posted:

While it would be 9S from 20 minutes ago, that's still 20 minutes of a person who dies. If you were to lose the past 20 minutes of your life are you the same person? The game hasn't really touched on it to this point, but androids being able to just reboot themselves are still losing who they were before the reboot.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

NHO posted:

Yes.
Following previous posters, either you listen to this track, or you are leaving this LP, for it is meaningless for you.

But I'm deaf and can't really listen to it :(

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Still trying to figure out how you can strangle and android. If she'd pulled his head off, that would have made slightly more sense. Heck, the pod is right there and an update ago it wanted to abandon him, so just have it blow Nines away with a barrage of something.

Though that might have started the Fifteenth Machine War: Pods vs everybody else

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Given the invulnerability, omnicompetence, and fishing skill of pods, I think it's safe to say the pods would win.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Still trying to figure out how you can strangle and android. If she'd pulled his head off, that would have made slightly more sense. Heck, the pod is right there and an update ago it wanted to abandon him, so just have it blow Nines away with a barrage of something.

Though that might have started the Fifteenth Machine War: Pods vs everybody else

I just interpreted it as there's lots of essential pathways going through the neck, and 2B just smashed them all. But really, the point is to highlight similarity between androids and humans. :shrug:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
You know how a lot of electronics keep the reset button hidden behind a tiny pinhole that's a pain in the rear end to get through? It's basically the same idea, but Eve broke 2B's paperclip subprogram so she has to try and mash her fingers in there.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Tell me God, are you punishing me?
Is this the price I'm paying for my past mistakes?

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Seriously, listen to this. It will be important.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

really queer Christmas posted:

While it would be 9S from 20 minutes ago, that's still 20 minutes of a person who dies. If you were to lose the past 20 minutes of your life are you the same person? The game hasn't really touched on it to this point, but androids being able to just reboot themselves are still losing who they were before the reboot.

Yes, they're the same person minus 20 minutes. My point was that they'd already done this in-game and it wasn't a big deal. Presumably for androids built to go into battle, this happens on a weekly basis. It feels odd for it to suddenly be SO important that sobbing and totally uncharacteristic-for-2B tenderness is suddenly warranted for something that was otherwise established as routine and no big deal.

Hell, even for humans, it's no big deal to lose 20 minutes. Doze off. Get pass-out drunk. Waste it playing a boring mobile game. If you asked someone with cancer if they were willing to sacrifice the previous 20 minutes of their memories to get cured, I think 100% of patients would take that without batting an eye, and would not make a big production about how they want their loved one to push the button while everyone gets all despondent. Almost no one would get all philosophical about whether they're still the same person after losing that 20 minutes.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

We went over this last time it happened, too- to 9S it's not a big deal because he doesn't remember that time.
2B does, and that's the point. It doesn't matter that he's only lost 20 minutes- he's still not the 9S he was before.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Malachite_Dragon posted:

To be modified.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 30, 2017

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!

Supremezero posted:

How do you live knowing that you're reading these LPs and not hearing the music.

Hheeyyyy, maybe don't go publicly shaming people for being deaf because of a screenshot let's play. Maybe just back up a second, and think about the thing you're doing here.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Eponymous posted:

Hheeyyyy, maybe don't go publicly shaming people for being deaf because of a screenshot let's play. Maybe just back up a second, and think about the thing you're doing here.

Not really what I meant, but I guess it can be seen that way.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Malachite_Dragon posted:

We went over this last time it happened, too- to 9S it's not a big deal because he doesn't remember that time.
2B does, and that's the point. It doesn't matter that he's only lost 20 minutes- he's still not the 9S he was before.

Additionally, basically every word out of 2B's mouth since the final battle started suggests she is not thinking about things rationally. Killing someone you love is traumatic, logic be damned. Trying to get him on board with "stop that, this MATTER goddammit" seemed to be important to her as well.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I am weirdly angry that an ASL version of this song doesn't exist now.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Aumanor posted:

They also seem to have fully functionnal tear ducts for some reason.

Look, it's souls or working tear ducts, design specs require one or the other. It's weird.

Schwartzcough posted:

Yes, they're the same person minus 20 minutes. My point was that they'd already done this in-game and it wasn't a big deal. Presumably for androids built to go into battle, this happens on a weekly basis. It feels odd for it to suddenly be SO important that sobbing and totally uncharacteristic-for-2B tenderness is suddenly warranted for something that was otherwise established as routine and no big deal.

2B's literal first words in the game posted:

We are perpetually trapped... in a never-ending spiral of life and death. Is this a curse? Or some kind of punishment? I often think about the god who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle... and wonder if we’ll ever have the chance to kill him.

No big deal.

404 file not found posted:

Um, I did that? Sorry, I don’t remember. There wasn’t a whole lot of bandwidth down there, you know? I probably only had enough time to back up your memories. Mine are only intact up to the point just before we rendezvoused.
...I see.

Yeah she was totes cool with him losing 20 minutes before. Weird.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Fair enough, guess I forgot the stoic hand-clenching.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
So um... What's with all the shots of 2b's panties? I... didn't remember seeing that in the early updates.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
So that choking scene, yeah? And you know how popular cosplaying as 2B and 9S is? There's been a couple of cons where there are GROUPS of people re-enacting this. Such as this one.

:yokotaro:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Hell, even for humans, it's no big deal to lose 20 minutes. Doze off. Get pass-out drunk. Waste it playing a boring mobile game. If you asked someone with cancer if they were willing to sacrifice the previous 20 minutes of their memories to get cured, I think 100% of patients would take that without batting an eye, and would not make a big production about how they want their loved one to push the button while everyone gets all despondent. Almost no one would get all philosophical about whether they're still the same person after losing that 20 minutes.

People would absolutely get philosophical about that problem. It's pretty common as a philosophy problem. Hell, if you want as similar example look at the Star Trek "transporter' problem, where it's a genuine question on if you're the same person after you transport.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Sage Grimm posted:

So that choking scene, yeah? And you know how popular cosplaying as 2B and 9S is? There's been a couple of cons where there are GROUPS of people re-enacting this. Such as this one.

I think my brain just broke

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Monocled Falcon posted:

So um... What's with all the shots of 2b's panties? I... didn't remember seeing that in the early updates.

It's a leotard under the skirt; TDI is just unlucky with timing his screenshots :v: (or stopped caring about trying to avoid them.) As for why they're in the game to begin with, blame Yoko Taro. Gothic lolita is his thing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It's a leotard under the skirt; TDI is just unlucky with timing his screenshots :v: (or stopped caring about trying to avoid them.) As for why they're in the game to begin with, blame Yoko Taro. Gothic lolita is his thing.

Given patterns in his games, I'd say his thing is "White haired and stabby."

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sage Grimm posted:

People cosplay Nowe, so it's not like the bar for good taste is set super-high here.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

That was a surprisingly positive for a Yoko Taro game. 9S becomes Big O, and everyone's relatively happy.

It's all of Yoko Taro's usual flavor of madness from here on out, isn't it? :ohdear:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Mega64 posted:

I think my brain just broke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Given patterns in his games, I'd say his thing is "White haired and stabby."