Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I could use a little help with where to go with my Ironjawz from here. I have the Start Collecting! Ironjawz box, the Ironjawz Weirdnob Warband box and a Megaboss.

In total that's:

15 'Ardboyz
5 Brutes
3 Gore-Gruntas
1 Warchanter
1 Weirdnob
1 Megaboss

I was thinking of getting another box of 'Ardboyz, which would bring my count up to 30, and maybe another box of Brutes? How good are the Gore-Gruntas?

Clearly I need to get a Megaboss on a Maw-krusha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Zuul the Cat posted:

I could use a little help with where to go with my Ironjawz from here. I have the Start Collecting! Ironjawz box, the Ironjawz Weirdnob Warband box and a Megaboss.

In total that's:

15 'Ardboyz
5 Brutes
3 Gore-Gruntas
1 Warchanter
1 Weirdnob
1 Megaboss

I was thinking of getting another box of 'Ardboyz, which would bring my count up to 30, and maybe another box of Brutes? How good are the Gore-Gruntas?

More Gore-Gruntas and Brutes are the way to go. Slipping in another Warchanter wouldn't hurt as well. I'd leave off the 'Ardboyz, they're pretty meh.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Zuul the Cat posted:

In total that's:

15 'Ardboyz
5 Brutes
3 Gore-Gruntas
1 Warchanter
1 Weirdnob
1 Megaboss

You almost certainly need a maw-krusha.

And more brutes, one more squad of big pigs wouldn't hurt either.

Gore Grunters are good in the battalions because they can be crazy fast. 2d6 move before your normal move and then charge.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Black_Nexus posted:

You almost certainly need a maw-krusha.

And more brutes, one more squad of big pigs wouldn't hurt either.

Gore Grunters are good in the battalions because they can be crazy fast. 2d6 move before your normal move and then charge.

I was thinking an additional Brute unit, 2 more gore gruntas and a maw krusha.

3 Goregruntas gives me the Gorefist, which gives me that free 15" move the first turn.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Zuul the Cat posted:

I was thinking an additional Brute unit, 2 more gore gruntas and a maw krusha.

3 Goregruntas gives me the Gorefist, which gives me that free 15" move the first turn.

I fought two ironjaws players over the weekend, and both had turn 1 combat. That army is scary fast

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Black_Nexus posted:

I fought two ironjaws players over the weekend, and both had turn 1 combat. That army is scary fast

I watched a couple of battle reports today on YouTube and that happened in all of them. Excited to get started on them.

Probably gonna paint them as Weirdladz.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
It's possible the IJ movement stuff will change with getting their own alliance trait or whatever, just FYI. I saw some posts on TGA.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

muggins posted:

It's possible the IJ movement stuff will change with getting their own alliance trait or whatever, just FYI. I saw some posts on TGA.

I really wonder if they are going to change the basic allegiance traits. Any of the destruction subfactions would have to get an amazing trait to not use the destruction move. And Ditto for death, that extra save is just so good.

And then you have orders, which isn't super great and chaos which is super swingy

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
AoS is getting an allies system: https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/2266

Finally I can have some Wild Riders in my Sylvaneth army!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Every faction's getting new Allegiance abilities and they're porting over the neat Open War cards from 40k 8th. This is looking pretty sweet.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TKIY posted:

AoS is getting an allies system: https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/2266

Finally I can have some Wild Riders in my Sylvaneth army!

Sounds like it's just to let you take the narrow Allegiance abilities so long as you're mostly in the same keyword, not so you can take Bloodletters with your Stormcasts.

Edit: that's exactly what you're excited for. I read wild riders and my brain conjured how gruntas. :doh:

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 26, 2017

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

Every faction's getting new Allegiance abilities and they're porting over the neat Open War cards from 40k 8th. This is looking pretty sweet.

This will be awesome. The open war cards are a ton of fun.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mango sentinel posted:

Sounds like it's just to let you take the narrow Allegiance abilities so long as you're mostly in the same keyword, not so you can take Bloodletters with your Stormcasts.

Edit: that's exactly what you're excited for. I read wild riders and my brain conjured how gruntas. :doh:

I am guessing its stuff like you can take all of the beastmen units despite some of them like the Minotaurs no longer sharing Keywords some others.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am guessing its stuff like you can take all of the beastmen units despite some of them like the Minotaurs no longer sharing Keywords some others.

I think it's a workaround for letting people take small/no faction stuff. Skaven Clan Skryre can now take a Verminlord or some Eshin nerds as a supplement without losing their keyword abilities.

It's a flavorful bonus on top of that that you can take a small detachment with within your same Grand Alliance and still be a viable army. Like if you play sylvaneth but you have a story about a small band Of Stormcast tagging along with them you can do that without wrecking your list.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
These little teasing articles are killing me, I need to see the full book

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
New Flesh-Eater stuff sounds cool, curious to see what Feeding Frenzy pans out to be.

Also Vampire bloodlines are back! :getin:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Balewind Vortex - is it cool and good? It looks awesome as hell and I kinda want to put my Orruk Shaman on top of one.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zuul the Cat posted:

Balewind Vortex - is it cool and good? It looks awesome as hell and I kinda want to put my Orruk Shaman on top of one.

Using one makes you a huge rear end in a top hat but it might make you win a lot.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

Using one makes you a huge rear end in a top hat but it might make you win a lot.

I'll probably get one and only use it for tournaments then.

I AIN'T HERE TO MAKE FRIENDS. *shoots pistols off like a renegade*

Foot of Gork sounds like a good way to lose friends anyway. Reminds me of that old Ogre Kingdoms spell, the Devouring Maw one.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'll probably get one and only use it for tournaments then.

I AIN'T HERE TO MAKE FRIENDS. *shoots pistols off like a renegade*

Foot of Gork sounds like a good way to lose friends anyway. Reminds me of that old Ogre Kingdoms spell, the Devouring Maw one.

Fist of gork is so hit or miss, I had one game where my friend couldn't get it off at all. And then the next game against my other friend he cast it on turn one and it bounced 8 times

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Did GW really squat the Brets because it's hard to copyright them? I'm hoping Lileath's heaven place shows up in AoS complete with ghostly grail knights.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They probably squatted the Brets because no one in the studio cared enough about them to fight for an update or refactoring.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Plus the strange new setting that I still barely understand does not really have a place for them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's impossible to officially confirm, but all signs point to exactly yes.

The nice thing is that also makes them the easiest to proxy.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Firstborn posted:

Did GW really squat the Brets because it's hard to copyright them? I'm hoping Lileath's heaven place shows up in AoS complete with ghostly grail knights.

The name changes are likely less about copyrighting and more about marketing want SEO. Also what slowpoke said.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

The name changes are likely less about copyrighting and more about marketing want SEO. Also what slowpoke said.

In a vacuum I'd agree with you but GW's tendency to make awful, copyrightable names kicked off after the Chapterhouse lawsuit and shows no signs of letting up. About names more than Brets TBH, as slowpoke is probably right about that.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
or maybe because the bretonnians were the easiest to proxy using cheap historical minis?

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Brettonians weren't that distinctive from empire I think was one of the biggest issues, since a lot of empire players also fielded a lot of knights.

They also had a lot of issues coming up with newer different types of knights, which I think kind of stands to reason.

Also they aren't bringing back Bretts, they are all Flesh eater courts now!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

or maybe because the bretonnians were the easiest to proxy using cheap historical minis?

poo poo

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Black_Nexus posted:

Brettonians weren't that distinctive from empire I think was one of the biggest issues, since a lot of empire players also fielded a lot of knights.

They also had a lot of issues coming up with newer different types of knights, which I think kind of stands to reason.

Also they aren't bringing back Bretts, they are all Flesh eater courts now!

Brets and Empire were fairly distinct though. Empire had knightly warrior orders, but the impression I got was that they were social orders or geographically specific. The Bret knights represented a single knightly path with feudal responsibilities in between, from a lowly peasant to a revered hermit warrior. In 5e they even got their own formation so they looked unique on the table.

I'd say the bigger issue is in assuming that the army always had to have a new unit to sell and not just in upgrading the kits. As a Bretonnian player back in the day, I'd have killed for a good plastic men at arms kit. I think they got those eventually? But basically with Brets you didn't have to add a bunch of new stuff every time, you just needed to slowly convert the whole range into plastic. The additions of the pegasus knights and the trebuche were pretty cool though.

Ultimately though there were a ton of directions they could have taken the Brets if they had put some thought in them. They could have played up the folklore bit and added in more units like not-Robin Hood, like by giving Repanse a unit of themed retainers or an order that survived in her honor to the current day. They could have added elf or dryad auxiliaries to show the relationship with the Wood Elves. They could have added regional distinctions, like zombie-vampire or coastal-sailor or a rebellious modernizing faction. Instead they double downed on the feudal angle which made them dreary and then eventually made it so the Lady of the Lake was evil all along? Lame. Not everything has to be grimdark all the time and I think if anything drove people away from the Brets, it was that.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Atlas Hugged posted:

Brets and Empire were fairly distinct though. Empire had knightly warrior orders, but the impression I got was that they were social orders or geographically specific. The Bret knights represented a single knightly path with feudal responsibilities in between, from a lowly peasant to a revered hermit warrior. In 5e they even got their own formation so they looked unique on the table.

I'd say the bigger issue is in assuming that the army always had to have a new unit to sell and not just in upgrading the kits. As a Bretonnian player back in the day, I'd have killed for a good plastic men at arms kit. I think they got those eventually? But basically with Brets you didn't have to add a bunch of new stuff every time, you just needed to slowly convert the whole range into plastic. The additions of the pegasus knights and the trebuche were pretty cool though.

Ultimately though there were a ton of directions they could have taken the Brets if they had put some thought in them. They could have played up the folklore bit and added in more units like not-Robin Hood, like by giving Repanse a unit of themed retainers or an order that survived in her honor to the current day. They could have added elf or dryad auxiliaries to show the relationship with the Wood Elves. They could have added regional distinctions, like zombie-vampire or coastal-sailor or a rebellious modernizing faction. Instead they double downed on the feudal angle which made them dreary and then eventually made it so the Lady of the Lake was evil all along? Lame. Not everything has to be grimdark all the time and I think if anything drove people away from the Brets, it was that.

The fluff they made for the fantasy roleplay game was actually super good, and they had separate fluff/stuff for each province. But they only did the one campaign book for them sadly, although Mousillion was quite cool and good.

I was more sad when they got rid of dogs of war than Bretts though

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Black_Nexus posted:

The fluff they made for the fantasy roleplay game was actually super good, and they had separate fluff/stuff for each province. But they only did the one campaign book for them sadly, although Mousillion was quite cool and good.

I was more sad when they got rid of dogs of war than Bretts though

Dogs of War had a ton of flavor. And pikes!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I still think an End Times Bretonnian revolution list would have been amazing.

The Perry brothers are still making some incredible figures, btw. They're definitely a reasonable alternative to paying eBay prices for Brets, and I suspect that their love of historical figures kept the faction around while they were at GW.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Fireforge Games does resin pegasus knights that look nice. No idea what the quality really is though.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Crosspostin' because the WHFB thread is dead and I guess this model fits here.

Safety Factor posted:

My local store held a painting contest yesterday. Contestants had a month to paint a Warhammer/AoS model of their choice, to be judged by someone with an actual background in art. Naturally, I chose loving SLAMBO.

I did my best to mimic the studio scheme, that blended green took 3-4 hours to do. It was done with three shades of green and then tied together with a glaze. Highlights were done in yet another two shades of green and took another couple of hours. :shepface: Not to mention the metallics and other details. Either way, this model was a ton of fun to paint and I got to try out new techniques I will probably never, ever use again. As ever, there are a couple of things I'd like to touch up, like the highlights on the eyebrow ridge, but all entries are being kept on display at the store for two weeks.

Anyways, back to the contest, there were a lot of great entries, including one by a commission painter. I thought I'd maybe take second or third, but the main competition, a skaven grey seer on a monstrous rat ogre-beast (formerly the End Times version of Thanquol and Boneripper), was apparently missing some attention to detail and I squeaked by. It was actually a tie, but the judge gave it to me because I had the higher painting score. I didn't even know what I was competing for and it turned out I won a $35 gift card.

SLAMBO

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 30, 2017

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Plus the strange new setting that I still barely understand does not really have a place for them.

I dunno, you could probably do something with planes-hopping Arthurian knights. Just add a whole bunch of megi-tech He-Manesque "IN SPACE!!!" stuff to make them sufficiently metal for AoS.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Safety Factor posted:

Crosspostin' because the WHFB thread is dead and I guess this model fits here.

That is a fine looking model

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I dunno, you could probably do something with planes-hopping Arthurian knights. Just add a whole bunch of megi-tech He-Manesque "IN SPACE!!!" stuff to make them sufficiently metal for AoS.

The Miniatures Monthly podcast suggested just having them be Imperial Knights from 40k, noble houses of mech warriors would fit with AoS pretty neatly

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i almost want them to go way over the top and have like ethereal bretonnian power rangers featuring the green knight. they just ghost into the mortal realms during times of need and form their voltron lance charge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Happy to see a 'Start Collecting: Slaanesh' box on shelves.

• Locked thread