Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

good ep but the final shot of

stain showed him with a nose viewing his profile from below and that got me hosed up

i thought he was a no-nose ninja turtle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Neito would make a pretty scary Nomu.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Goddamn they really captured the sheer intensity of Stain on those last moments.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mordaedil posted:

He probably beats his wife.
Did you hear that, everybody? This orange hillbilly beats his wife!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hunt11 posted:

That's kind of the point though. He is a really lovely person but that doesn't stop him from being great at his job.

Yeah I mean obviously he's good at his job but I kind of assumed it was going to be in a more assholish way like he'd be too concerned about glory to worry about helping civilians or his comrades but he seemed genuinely concerned about stuff. I think that's what lifts the writing above the usual shounen action show, many of the characters just refuse to stick the pigeonholes you might expect.

I assume at some point there's a story behind Gran Torino obviously being a top class hero but no one seemingly having heard of him?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I assume at some point there's a story behind Gran Torino obviously being a top class hero but no one seemingly having heard of him?
To be fair, no one's heard of Eraserhead, either, and he's been a teacher at UA for at least two years.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 30, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
He retired a while ago and faded from the public eye. It's not dissimilar to retired movie/etc celebrities.

Endeavor is interesting because his motivation is selfish but at the same time he properly understands the duty of a hero as more than just a villain-puncher. And since he's dedicated to be The Best Hero, he will still put his utmost effort into rescue and protection, even if it he's not naturally selfless. You can more or less see how Bakugou would develop, hero-wise, in him.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Stain's horror factor is enough to make ENDEAVOR take a step back at the end there.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Gran Torino didn't really do a lot of non-AFO related heroing; he himself says he only got certed to use his quirk freely and teach All Might.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

PMush Perfect posted:

To be fair, no one's heard of Night Eye, either, and he's been a teacher at UA for at least two years.

Think you mean Eraserhead here. That hero hasn't appeared in the anime yet.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah I mean obviously he's good at his job but I kind of assumed it was going to be in a more assholish way like he'd be too concerned about glory to worry about helping civilians or his comrades but he seemed genuinely concerned about stuff. I think that's what lifts the writing above the usual shounen action show, many of the characters just refuse to stick the pigeonholes you might expect.

What's so great is that you can tell why he's not beloved even though he isn't just an outright rear end in a top hat to civilians. The guy causes a ton of property damage in the course of just navigating the town (more than most heroes)--- how much do you think it costs people whenever he goes out heroing and does that foot thing? And he's a scary fire guy whose version of "going easy on someone" is to give them horrific but not quite life-threatening burns.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

UnderFreddy posted:

Eraserhead was also super low key as a hero since his ability to take down villains is completely based on them not knowing how his perk works and that he's a normal human otherwise.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That's not totally true because in the USJ arc they find out very quickly what he can do and he still kicks their asses, even the heteromorphic guy whose Quirk couldn't be erased.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

That's not totally true because in the USJ arc they find out very quickly what he can do and he still kicks their asses, even the heteromorphic guy whose Quirk couldn't be erased.

I think he was talking about Night Eye in this case

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh gently caress yeah, they did it!

edit: oh no there's too much time left and that rope is laughable you dummies :ohdear:

e:e:
aaaaah, told ya!

Phew

a kitten fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 30, 2017

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

manga spoilers: I think us manga readers could be a bit more circumspect ITT, besides nighteye we already have a reference to AFO on this page

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Cool fights but kinda weird anticlimactic ending?

Sakurazuka posted:

He said something like "well those civilians left so I guess its okay" he could just mean "its okay to fight instead of helping them escape" but it felt to me like Gran Torino has some secret powers or something weird like that...

JT Jag posted:

What's so great is that you can tell why he's not beloved even though he isn't just an outright rear end in a top hat to civilians. The guy causes a ton of property damage in the course of just navigating the town (more than most heroes)--- how much do you think it costs people whenever he goes out heroing and does that foot thing? And he's a scary fire guy whose version of "going easy on someone" is to give them horrific but not quite life-threatening burns.

Yeah absolutely. And I loved seeing the difference in his intro compared to All Might's. With All Might its "Its okay now! Why? Because I am here!" like super reassuring. But with Endeavor the people are like "what are you doing here?" and he's like "Isn't it obivous!? I'm a hero!" like they almost mistake him for a villain at first and he doesn't even get how he comes across.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
endeavor literally burned that noumu's head off

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

UnderFreddy posted:

i did! poo poo. Edit the name out of yours, too, for me?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wonder how much of the animation budget went into pressure alone this episode

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I wonder how tough Stain has to be to punk all these professional heroes when he has what we can assume "normal, but high" athleticism

Like, how does he compare to other people with powers that don't give them physical enhancements? Daredevil and Deapdool and Batman and such

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It's shonen, standard human capability is a flexible thing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

OnimaruXLR posted:

I wonder how tough Stain has to be to punk all these professional heroes when he has what we can assume "normal, but high" athleticism

Like, how does he compare to other people with powers that don't give them physical enhancements? Daredevil and Deapdool and Batman and such

He tends to be an ambush fighter who only needs to get a single cut to win.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

rumble in the bunghole posted:

It's shonen, standard human capability is a flexible thing.

Case in point: Endeavor punching that Noumu and sending it like 20 feet back.

I really like what they did with Endeavor here. It shows that he absolutely deserves to be a high-ranking hero--he doesn't just singlehandedly take down Noumus, he's careful to save people, he keeps collateral damage remarkably low, considering his powerset, and he takes charge of the situation, directing other heroes to where they need to be. But it also shows why he could never be number 1; he just isn't a reassuring presence, and while he's absolutely a hero, that's not the same thing as him being a good person.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
One of Endeavor's big claims to fame is that he has resolved the most cases in history.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Sakurazuka posted:

I love how this aspect enhances Todoroki's character arc too. Rather than keep Endeavor as just a lovely one note dad, they make him a very flawed human who truly is a Hero, the second best hero in the world. And Todoroki has now recognized that and put aside his hate to help better himself. He could have continued denying his father everything at the cost of not becoming the best hero he can. He hasn't forgiven Endeavor, but instead decided to take the best possibilities in front of him and accept that there are good aspects of his dad.

Still gently caress Endeavor he sucks, but he brings neat stuff to the table and the best outta Todoroki's aec.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
You also have to consider that no-one knew his power, he could easily surprise attack someone and lock them down instantly.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Moltrey posted:

I love how this aspect enhances Todoroki's character arc too. Rather than keep Endeavor as just a lovely one note dad, they make him a very flawed human who truly is a Hero, the second best hero in the world. And Todoroki has now recognized that and put aside his hate to help better himself. He could have continued denying his father everything at the cost of not becoming the best hero he can. He hasn't forgiven Endeavor, but instead decided to take the best possibilities in front of him and accept that there are good aspects of his dad.

Still gently caress Endeavor he sucks, but he brings neat stuff to the table and the best outta Todoroki's aec.

Its a much more realistic storyline and less cardboard, I like that a lot. Like his dad's a proper rear end in a top hat but if he just completely neglects his fire side then he's shooting himself in the foot.
I feel like in other anime we'd basically have him tell his dad off and then we'd never see Endeavor again.

For that matter, it seems like *a big deal* that we don't know anything about Midoriya's father? I guess manga readers might know the answer to this (don't spoil it, I'll probably start reading soon) but that seems like it has to be intentional.

It creates the perfect father/son relationship between All Might and Deku, but I can't help but wonder if:

1. Deku's father was killed by a villain

2. Deku's father is a villain

Knowing that the author is a huuuuuuge fan of star wars, I wouldn't be completely surprised to find out its #2. Although I'm kinda hoping that we don't run into either of those because it'd be kinda cliche.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a much more realistic storyline and less cardboard, I like that a lot. Like his dad's a proper rear end in a top hat but if he just completely neglects his fire side then he's shooting himself in the foot.
I feel like in other anime we'd basically have him tell his dad off and then we'd never see Endeavor again.

For that matter, it seems like *a big deal* that we don't know anything about Midoriya's father? I guess manga readers might know the answer to this (don't spoil it, I'll probably start reading soon) but that seems like it has to be intentional.

It creates the perfect father/son relationship between All Might and Deku, but I can't help but wonder if:

1. Deku's father was killed by a villain

2. Deku's father is a villain

Knowing that the author is a huuuuuuge fan of star wars, I wouldn't be completely surprised to find out its #2. Although I'm kinda hoping that we don't run into either of those because it'd be kinda cliche.

In the first episode it's mentioned to the doctor he works abroad and breathes fire for his quirk.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hahaha really? Because i was totally musing about what could possibly be up with Deku's Mysterious Missing Dad while stuck in traffic the other day.

Good job brain, that's what i feed ya for.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The scene with Endeavor fighting the two Nomus in front of all the other heroes is added for the anime, he only really gets that scene where Torino steals his thunder versus the other Nomu in the manga. An okay addition??

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kild posted:

In the first episode it's mentioned to the doctor he works abroad and breathes fire for his quirk.

drat totally missed that. You'd think they'd like, show a single picture of him or something if that was the case?

I'm still banking on him being a villain and that's the cover story they tell the boy / other people because she's embarrassed.

Aurora posted:

The scene with Endeavor fighting the two Nomus in front of all the other heroes is added for the anime, he only really gets that scene where Torino steals his thunder versus the other Nomu in the manga. An okay addition??

If that includes the part with Endeavor magma-jumping off buildings, then that was a :krad: addition

Even if that doesn't really make sense I'm cool with it

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

drat totally missed that. You'd think they'd like, show a single picture of him or something if that was the case?

Yeah it's lead to a few weird theories like it being Endeavor (both having fire quirks) or even the Lunch-Rush the school lunch guy (he has a mask on that could collect fire breath to cook)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah absolutely. And I loved seeing the difference in his intro compared to All Might's. With All Might its "Its okay now! Why? Because I am here!" like super reassuring. But with Endeavor the people are like "what are you doing here?" and he's like "Isn't it obivous!? I'm a hero!" like they almost mistake him for a villain at first and he doesn't even get how he comes across.

Remember he said he went on an unplanned business trip. They were probably surprised he was outside his operational area, whereas All Might just goes wherever.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Moltrey posted:

Rather than keep Endeavor as just a lovely one note dad, they make him a very flawed human who truly is a Hero, the second best hero in the world.

Actually, he's only the second best hero in Japan.
:goonsay:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
midoriya's dad works abroad

as a villain

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Kyte posted:

Endeavor is interesting because his motivation is selfish but at the same time he properly understands the duty of a hero as more than just a villain-puncher. And since he's dedicated to be The Best Hero, he will still put his utmost effort into rescue and protection, even if it he's not naturally selfless. You can more or less see how Bakugou would develop, hero-wise, in him.

yeah this aspect is what makes him super cool as a character b/c he is a genuine huge shithead scumbag but also he isn't just like a big gloating grandstanding rear end in a top hat. dude sees people in trouble and helps out alongside actually working well w/ other heroes on the scene immediately. he has heroic traits that allmight can kinda ignore because allmight is pretty much just a superman bruiser-type who can take care of problems singlehandedly but also lacks the most important trait of being an actual good person despite all that

stain views him as the very definition of a fake but the dude is basically showing how even big fuckin shitheads can be heroic in both the traditional term of the word and within the terms of the universe as the public face and enforcement of the law. he's like the total antithesis to stain's philosophy and it's Great

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't know what the difference is (other than the obvious things like color, and timing, and music, and voice acting...) but Stain's reaction to seeing Endeavor in the anime VS in the manga really drives home the enmity he feels a lot better

I don't know, maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention, but it wasn't until I saw the anime version that I was like "Ohhh, Endeavor probably burnt this dude's face off and is ALSO probably at the top of this guy's poo poo list in terms of bad heroism." As opposed to when I first read the comic, when it just felt like his bloodlust was hitting a general peak.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Horikoshi actually stated there was nothing up with Izuku's dad. He is just out of the Country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

dunno if this came up already, but Stain taking down Ingenium always confused me. we see in the most recent ep that Ingenium was initially/partially motivated to hero out of a sense of obligation and tradition, but that was in a private conversation to his brother. outside of that i'm not really sure why Stain would have reason to make him a victim. are we just supposed to assume Stain infers this sort of thing somehow or that his adherence to absolutes make this a case where he made a mistake?

• Locked thread