Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The sawblade noise didn't bother me that much in White Palace because it also had some of the best and most calming music going on at the same time, so they sorta canceled each other out for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anachron
Jan 23, 2004
I think turning down sound effects lowers saw sounds as well. I played with music maxed and sounds at 4 or 5 and didn't really notice them.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Dandruff?

That ain't snow. It's flakes of dead flesh from the Wyrm's corpse.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Grey Mourner's quest being the final mask piece is a pretty funny troll because the final boss does 2HP of damage per hit anyway so you're not gaining anything.

I suppose if you're barely eking out a Trial of Fools victory you might use it.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

bewilderment posted:

Grey Mourner's quest being the final mask piece is a pretty funny troll because the final boss does 2HP of damage per hit anyway so you're not gaining anything.

I suppose if you're barely eking out a Trial of Fools victory you might use it.

I think you're miscalculating somewhere? Final mask piece takes you from 8hp -> 9hp so at 2 per hit that means 5 hits instead of 4. Fragile Heart adds 2 hp so it doesn't change the maths. Maybe if you're using some or all of the blue hp charms it would be different.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

I Said No posted:

It seems appropriate that there's no kind of infrastructure down there. It's only really a bother if you keep forgetting stuff down there, so it's best to do as much as possible in one pass. I'm a bit too familiar with that one vertical derelict lift shaft between City of Tears and Ancient Basin at this point.

On my Steel Heart playthrough just for giggles I tried to see if I could snipe both those guards entering the room with my eyes closed (full upgrades + Fragile Strength so one-shot). Took me too few attempts before I succeeded once :v: .

It bothers me slightly more that there is *some* infrastructure but it's kinda... useless. In my last run I used that tram exactly once, to access the part of the map in the SE that you literally can't access otherwise. It would be a lot more useful if the tram was close to the stag station. Having the stag station elsewhere would make little sense thematically (it *should* be in what used to be a settlement), but the tram station could've been somewhere else.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Mymla posted:

I can't think of a solid reason why you should have to hoof it all the way to the ancient basin or kingdom's edge after the first time. And I also can't think of a reason why there shouldn't be a bench outside every boss room.
Yeah, true. And the game is very careful to make it easy to travel by unlocking shortcuts as you pass hard areas in general, it definitely wouldn't hurt.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Just finished the game. Went into it thinking it would be a 12-15 hour game to pass the time between bigger titles. I ended up putting about 30 hours into it to get the true ending and most of the side quests. I think I accidentally sequence broke the White Palace through liberal use of pogo, so I don't have the same complaints I see a lot in this thread. I also had no idea it was made by such a small team. Super impressed. Got kick out of seeing this Dark Souls/Berserk kickstarter backer: http://hollowknight.wikia.com/wiki/Waldie#Waldie

It looks like the soundtrack got taken off Spotify recently, which is a shame. I was using it as background noise at work.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Dancer posted:

On my Steel Heart playthrough just for giggles I tried to see if I could snipe both those guards entering the room with my eyes closed (full upgrades + Fragile Strength so one-shot). Took me too few attempts before I succeeded once :v: .

It bothers me slightly more that there is *some* infrastructure but it's kinda... useless. In my last run I used that tram exactly once, to access the part of the map in the SE that you literally can't access otherwise. It would be a lot more useful if the tram was close to the stag station. Having the stag station elsewhere would make little sense thematically (it *should* be in what used to be a settlement), but the tram station could've been somewhere else.

Well, they did TRY to have them in Deepnest.
It amuses me a lot that the tram builders showed up and started working there only for the Deepnest inhabitants to promptly go "oh hey look a free buffet" and loving ruin everything like the psychotic bastards they are.
It's also a neat and creepy detail that the Stag, who is super old and remembers all the routes like the back of his hand, shows up to the Distant Village station and says "uhh where the gently caress is this, let's go somewhere less skeevy". Super old experienced badass dude doesn't know where the gently caress he is.

They just contribute a lot to Deepnest being probably one of my favorite zones in any Metroidvania i've played. Area really knows how to keep you on edge.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

gently caress the respawning burrowing bugs in Deepnest.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I could be mistaken, but I think they don't actually *re*spawn? Yes, they pop in out of nowhere and it's really stressful to deal with them, but once you walk past the spawning trigger once I think you're clear. So I guess, try slowing down so you don't walk past multiple triggers in one go and they should be easier to deal with? I dunno, they're annoying...

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah, they don't actually respawn, there's a limited number in the environment. If you have the charm that spawns minions, your minions will actually slam into the ground where they think the minions are - they already exist in the environment before they pop out of the ground.

Also: that charm sucks.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

bewilderment posted:

Also: that charm sucks.
It'a awesome if you combine it with the Defender's Crest. The flies get smelly too! :v:

The one that turns the projectile attack into flukes is gross as gently caress. If you combine that one with the crest it fires out a big huge pink fluke that explodes into farts.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Just got this recently off GOG, and it's just beautiful. I'm super, super terrible at it, but I'm getting better, and it's legit one of the best metroidvanias I've ever played. I daresay I like it more than Super Metroid, which is just a bizarre thing to think. I also really like the world and the lore, and I'm debating running some kind of tabletop campaign about it in the Game Room in Trad Games just so I can explore it a bit more and have an excuse to draw cute bug people.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
A good observation from the steam forums, about an answer to a lingering question.

Precept of Zote 56: Dreams
Dreams are dangerous things. Strange ideas, not your own, can worm their way into your mind. But if you resist those ideas, sickness will wrack your body! Best not to dream at all, like me.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Y'all had me scared about the White Palace but yeah... comparisons to I Wanna Be the Guy and Super Meat Boy and stuff are not very accurate.

I actually was particularly confused by the place because it often seemed like the paths that let you skip a ton of the platforming were waaay more obvious to me than the actual intended paths. So I ended up looping back around and making sure I wasn't missing anything and just ended up minorly annoyed.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Martman posted:

Y'all had me scared about the White Palace but yeah... comparisons to I Wanna Be the Guy and Super Meat Boy and stuff are not very accurate.

I actually was particularly confused by the place because it often seemed like the paths that let you skip a ton of the platforming were waaay more obvious to me than the actual intended paths. So I ended up looping back around and making sure I wasn't missing anything and just ended up minorly annoyed.

The white palace is obviously referencing Super Meat Boy but it's difficulty is probably around the light world hospital or salt factory so it's relatively easy compared to the later worlds or basically any of the dark world levels in SMB. Also yeah there are plenty of sequence breaks as well as the ability to bounce off spike/saw blades which makes you way more versatile than meat boy.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I've gotten into this game lately, and while I love most of it, gently caress whoever decided to make "having an indicator on the map takes an upgrade slot" be a thing.

Similarly, whoever decided to make you randomly hunt just to enable your map in an area deserves a slap in the face.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I don't really like the compass bit but at the same time, I kinda get it, because NOT having the compass makes you really think about your map and where you are, and it is a legit comfort trade/off thing. I've played this game to 100% twice, and beaten it for speedrunning 8 or 9 times and I still have brain pauses where I take a turn in fungal areas or w/e

I also really don't mind the Cornifer mechanic because that part where you're in a new area for the first time is really genuinely more alien and strange for it. It helps the exploration feeling. I guess I get the objections, but I liked it.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Cnidaria posted:

The white palace is obviously referencing Super Meat Boy but it's difficulty is probably around the light world hospital or salt factory so it's relatively easy compared to the later worlds or basically any of the dark world levels in SMB. Also yeah there are plenty of sequence breaks as well as the ability to bounce off spike/saw blades which makes you way more versatile than meat boy.

The big thing about White Palace is you're not under time pressure at all, which takes a huge part of SMB's strain off your shoulders. I actually loved White Palace enough that I'd probably play a whole mini DLC that was just them coming up with more platforming challenges like it, especially if they have more room for lateral thinking like spike bounces. I felt so, so good when I had an "AHA!" moment and skipped almost an entire room that was kicking my rear end via nail bouncing off two saws.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Roadie posted:

I've gotten into this game lately, and while I love most of it, gently caress whoever decided to make "having an indicator on the map takes an upgrade slot" be a thing.

Similarly, whoever decided to make you randomly hunt just to enable your map in an area deserves a slap in the face.

I can understand having a problem with the compass, but having to find Cornifer is great because it means you have to rely on your own sense of direction for a bit.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

A good observation from the steam forums, about an answer to a lingering question.

Precept of Zote 56: Dreams
Dreams are dangerous things. Strange ideas, not your own, can worm their way into your mind. But if you resist those ideas, sickness will wrack your body! Best not to dream at all, like me.

so in other words he dreams a shitload

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

so in other words he dreams a shitload
this poster is implying that Zote lies frequently!!! i think

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
The White Palace is very good. Way better than that crazy platforming part in Environmental Station Alpha.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

In this eve of the content update, let us take a moment to remember what could have been.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

n4 posted:

The White Palace is very good. Way better than that crazy platforming part in Environmental Station Alpha.

The deeper content in Hollow Knight is pretty rad, it's more or less "think you're hot poo poo? let's see you beat THIS".
Much as I love ESA, its deeper content mostly consists of it just completely going off its meds.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

I Said No posted:

The deeper content in Hollow Knight is pretty rad, it's more or less "think you're hot poo poo? let's see you beat THIS".
Much as I love ESA, its deeper content mostly consists of it just completely going off its meds.

I agree. ESA is great. Definitely a must play for fans of the genre. But the extra stuff is a little inaccessible.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SirSamVimes posted:

In this eve of the content update, let us take a moment to remember what could have been.

It would of just been Steelsoul mode but you die in one hit and do 0.1 damage.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

SirSamVimes posted:

Alas!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

don't make me cut u

n4 posted:

I agree. ESA is great. Definitely a must play for fans of the genre. But the extra stuff is a little inaccessible.

first time hearing about this game, what's the deal?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I hope there's a chance that Team Cherry might eventually add those missed stretch goal updates with the money they've made from sales.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I mean, they technically already have since they didn't meet the Fool's Arena goal IIRC.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pigbuster posted:

I mean, they technically already have since they didn't meet the Fool's Arena goal IIRC.

Same with the Abyss.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Augus posted:

don't make me cut u

first time hearing about this game, what's the deal?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/350070/Environmental_Station_Alpha/

It's a Metroidvania. It's very good but also very challenging. I believe a goon actually made it too.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Same with the Abyss.

The Abyss we currently have isn't exactly a 'massive expansion with four bosses' like the stretch goal advertised. And it's possible the Colosseum goal was met after they added on Paypal pledges, which I don't believe show up on the KS site.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

It would of just been Steelsoul mode but you die in one hit and do 0.1 damage.

To be fair, he makes an excellent punching bag. I think he could take a few hits. Just make it so he goes flying every time he gets hit.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
And when he hits anything as well. Really amp up that little bit of knockback

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
radiance is kicking my rear end

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kurtofan posted: