Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Irate Tree posted:

So, wait, you're telling me that; instead of releasing their codex and saying, "here's the official release, use this from now on!" and sticking to it, they're getting you to use the stop-gap book (which you paid money for) for units and entries they were too lazy to put into their brand new, officially official book of bigmars, which STILL costs as much to buy as before?

This is fine.

Also, I have learnt that there is no point to take anything other than Dark Lances for Dark Eldar. Haywire Blasters can only net you four wounds on a vehicle, at most and Heat Lances are steaming, hot garbage.

New GW seems obsessed with pleasing everyone. In the process they make hilariously roundabout solutions, like Primaris being unable to use current marine transports and otherwise phased out units being usable in Index despite no longer having rules in Codex.

Like, I can understand. They don't want to mislead people with options not supported in box. They also don't want to make people's models unusable. They just picked the most stupid compromise available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
:ssh: They just want you to buy the index AND the codex :signings:

Cyberpope v2
Oct 26, 2002

by Lowtax
Games Workshop is just moving forward with the strategy that all the options a squad has are included on the sprue. The index were a stopgap solution to bring basically everything up to speed in 8th edition and the codex will have every model/option available for that game line. The only option I can think of that is different is assault cannons for razorbacks, but I guess you can buy the blood angels one.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Cyberpope v2 posted:

Games Workshop is just moving forward with the strategy that all the options a squad has are included on the sprue. The index were a stopgap solution to bring basically everything up to speed in 8th edition and the codex will have every model/option available for that game line. The only option I can think of that is different is assault cannons for razorbacks, but I guess you can buy the blood angels one.

I actually don't think the turret from a Baal Predator would work very well for a Razorback. I think most people use the Land Raider Crusader upgrade sprue.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

The Bee posted:

New GW seems obsessed with pleasing everyone. In the process they make hilariously roundabout solutions, like Primaris being unable to use current marine transports and otherwise phased out units being usable in Index despite no longer having rules in Codex.

Like, I can understand. They don't want to mislead people with options not supported in box. They also don't want to make people's models unusable. They just picked the most stupid compromise available.

Yeah, its this. They want to make new players safe from being confused about codex options that don't have models, while also not pissing off players who converted/forgeworlded those models all along.

Except in trying to have it both ways, they hosed it up for everyone - now those new players will get surprised and confused when they play someone else who has a librarian on a bike or a las/plas razor and swears up and down they are still allowed to use them.

The Primaris transport thing is bizarre to me. I assumed it was becuase Primars would get their own full line of transports for you to buy, but the Repulsor is huge and expensive (pointswise). They would sell zero fewer Repulsors by letting Primars ride in rhinos.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
Tournament Day!
Brought Guard Tanks 2k pts
3 Leman Russ
3 Exterminators
Punisher
Demolisher
Hydra
Vanquisher
2 Enginseers

Round 1
Speedfreak Orks with a Fury Road theme :perfect:

drat those bastards were fast. On me by turn two
Ate my Lunch.
I'll see if I can get more pics of the guy's army.

Round 2
Tank Heavy Guard with 2 fighters and 2 Destroyers

Slugging match
Won by objectives

Round 3
Biker Marines and Terminators

Slaughtered almost everything in his force
Here's what he had left at the end

I killed this

Only casualties were my rough rider squad
Lost due to relic being taken

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, its this. They want to make new players safe from being confused about codex options that don't have models, while also not pissing off players who converted/forgeworlded those models all along.

Except in trying to have it both ways, they hosed it up for everyone - now those new players will get surprised and confused when they play someone else who has a librarian on a bike or a las/plas razor and swears up and down they are still allowed to use them.

The Primaris transport thing is bizarre to me. I assumed it was becuase Primars would get their own full line of transports for you to buy, but the Repulsor is huge and expensive (pointswise). They would sell zero fewer Repulsors by letting Primars ride in rhinos.

Most bizarre to me is the lack of a Primaris Drop Pod. It's such an iconic Space Marine motif that it's really baffling that GW put a Must Be This Short To Ride sign on it. And the base Drop Pod model seems really hard to flesh out like the Dreadnought, so I don't even know if we'll get a Drop Pod 2 out of it.

They could just make it the size of a Tyrannocyte, but man that thing is also like twice the price of a Drop Pod.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Bee posted:

Most bizarre to me is the lack of a Primaris Drop Pod. It's such an iconic Space Marine motif that it's really baffling that GW put a Must Be This Short To Ride sign on it. And the base Drop Pod model seems really hard to flesh out like the Dreadnought, so I don't even know if we'll get a Drop Pod 2 out of it.

They could just make it the size of a Tyrannocyte, but man that thing is also like twice the price of a Drop Pod.

They could just have them fill two spaces for every one and leave it as is. I'm not really keen to see an embiggened pod with no end of tiny rockets plastered over every surface. That's Tau's shtick and they do it better.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
If you had the datasheet for the primaris drop pod in your codex you wouldn't buy a new one, you'd just proxy your old drop pods. But don't worry, they'll have all the drop pod rules you need inside the new drop pod box.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

The Bee posted:

Yeah, that and the lack of a rhino-equivalent are mind-boggling. You'd think if they were gonna ban Primars from the iconic APC they'd make a bigger version but not one that is the size of a main battle tank and brimming with guns. Just gimme a metal bawks to drive big marines in.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Release a primaris upgrade kit for the drop pod with just different sized harnesses ez gg

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
I like the tank, but I don't know why I would use it as a transport really when it shoots like 50 shots

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Black_Nexus posted:

I like the tank, but I don't know why I would use it as a transport really when it shoots like 50 shots

Yeah, exactly. As it stands there is no efficient way to transport or infiltrate non-RavenGuard primaris.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, exactly. As it stands there is no efficient way to transport or infiltrate non-RavenGuard primaris.

Considering the tank can flounce out of melee with no penalty, fire heavy weapons on the move with no penalty, and has charge resistance, on top of 6 attacks it can flail with, I could see it making an decent overwatch sponge for a squad of Aggressors and melee characters. In fact, that can spare it getting shot for a turn at while its busy gently nudging against some Fire Warriors. However, that transport utility is secondary to the sheer amount of dakka and heavy shots it can cram out, and if your sole use for it is transporting Aggressors then you're spending a lot of points on package delivery.

Honestly, it's ironic to me. Primaris infantry is all about doing one specific thing, to the point where units are all or nothing in their wargear decisions. Then their vehicle is this swiss army knife that's expected to do everything, and due to this probably ends up a bit overcosted.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 30, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Really, the las-talon is relatively short ranged anyway, and most of its anti-infantry is even shorter. So it's not like you're hanging back sniping with one, so why not put mans inside it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I really wish you were Land Raiders could fit Primaris. I would absolutely buy one if they could.

It would also be nice if an Inquisitor in Terminator Armour could ride in the drat Repulsor, but no dice.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I really wish you were Land Raiders could fit Primaris. I would absolutely buy one if they could.

It would also be nice if an Inquisitor in Terminator Armour could ride in the drat Repulsor, but no dice.

Actually, I think the Inquisitor can. He can ignore the primaris restriction and the thing doesn't say terminators aren't allowed.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Irate Tree posted:

Also, I have learnt that there is no point to take anything other than Dark Lances for Dark Eldar. Haywire Blasters can only net you four wounds on a vehicle, at most and Heat Lances are steaming, hot garbage.

I can see making a point for Disintegrators if you want to chew up some heavy infantry, they're hell on Terminators for example. But if we're only talking tank bustin'? Yeah, Dark Lance is your gun.

Though the fact that Haywire gives you mortal wounds which can't be saved against is kinda nice. And on Scourges, both the Heat and Haywire being Assault lets you move and shoot without penalty, and more importantly Deep Strike without penalty. If you're taking Scourges, I'd actually consider either simply for accuracy on the go.

Of course I wouldn't actually take Scourges, since your heavy weapons should be on Raiders and Ravagers instead in which case you should be using Dark Lances and Disintegrators instead. :shrug:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I'm thinking of doing a little project where I paint a sole primaries in some of the worst home brew chapters that exists. I was planning on doing a fighting tiger of Veda first then thinking of a Doc Thunder primaris.

Please post examples of notoriously bad home brew chapters

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

4chan's Angry Marines are so loving stupid.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

chutche2 posted:

Really, the las-talon is relatively short ranged anyway, and most of its anti-infantry is even shorter. So it's not like you're hanging back sniping with one, so why not put mans inside it.

That's true. It really does feel like the Repulsor is kind of designed to do a little of everything, which makes me worry it'll end up obsoleted by a bunch of new toys like a Supertransport and Superheavytank in the future.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jng2058 posted:

I can see making a point for Disintegrators if you want to chew up some heavy infantry, they're hell on Terminators for example. But if we're only talking tank bustin'? Yeah, Dark Lance is your gun.

Though the fact that Haywire gives you mortal wounds which can't be saved against is kinda nice. And on Scourges, both the Heat and Haywire being Assault lets you move and shoot without penalty, and more importantly Deep Strike without penalty. If you're taking Scourges, I'd actually consider either simply for accuracy on the go.

Of course I wouldn't actually take Scourges, since your heavy weapons should be on Raiders and Ravagers instead in which case you should be using Dark Lances and Disintegrators instead. :shrug:

Yeah, Disintegrators should do work, for sure but I haven't had a game where i boat those, yet. I should be having a game soon (on vassal) where i'll have two planes with Disintegrators.

Concerning Haywire, that's why i say four wounds, at best. The mortal wounds are nice but it's still a S4, Assault1 weapon so, you're getting regular wounds on most vehicles on 5s or 6s and it's only -1 to their save. For Scourge, Lances are better, by sheer virtue of inflicting, potentially, 4D6 worth of damage, wounding most vehicles on 3s or 4s and leaving them with a 6+ save, at best, at 36" away.

As for Heat Lances, they're just dumb. Previous edition, you could rely on getting them into melta range and benefiting from lance. Hitting on 3s, glancing/penning on 2d6 and wrecking a tank with +2 to the damage roll. Now, you're hitting on 3s, wounding tanks and poo poo on 5s or 6s and rolling 2D6, pick the highest, on damage. Oh and they're five points more expensive than a Dark Lance - BECAUSE THAT MAKES PERFECT SENSE!!! I mean, the only things I tend to fight where I am are marines and bugs. I don't know where to use the Heat Lance now. Trying to hunt characters? They're going to be in the midst of other units and can't be shot. Biovores? Who the gently caress takes biovores? Those walking dongs haven't been viable - for - years.

For the cost of 5 Scourges, 4 with Dark Lances, you're paying 5 points less than you would for a T6 Ravager with 3 Dark Lances, that can't benefit from cover because cover in this edition blows. The 5+ Invuln is nothing to rely on, since most things that would target your Ravagers are spewing out stupid amounts of fire at S7/8/9. At least with the Scourges, you can plonk two units from deep strike down behind a target, or just in any piece of viable cover and pump enough lance into them, that they'll keel over and die, without worrying about getting shot to poo poo first turn.

This just feels like another edition where, I'm feeling forced to play one way, rather than my way. GW just keep taking my toys away :(

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah I can already anticipate arguments about this. "You can't take a bike Librarian," "Yes I can it's in the index," "Those are out of date," "Let me get my phone out" etc. etc.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Corrode posted:

Yeah I can already anticipate arguments about this. "You can't take a bike Librarian," "Yes I can it's in the index," "Those are out of date," "Let me get my phone out" etc. etc.

Yeah I'm planning on carrying with me a printout of that FAQ that says I can take my lasplas razorback or the biker apothecary I was planning on making

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Ironically tournaments will be better, because everyone attending should know already. For games against dudes in a store though it's absolutely going to cause problems.

On the topic of bikes, we talkes upthread about what regular Marines could even possibly want for new kits, and bikes is pretty much it. The bike kit is ancient and very poor compared to the more modern ones out there, although at least it benefits from being plastic and easy to smash in parts from the rest of the range.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I'm honestly surprised we didn't get Primaris bikers. Basically makes them unworkable as White Scars or successors thereof.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Honestly I think they're trying too hard not to step on regular Marine toes. They're very consciously giving Primaris stuff separate, defined roles which don't overlap with other stuff, usually by making them very focused. Which is fine, but also leads to weird decisions like no regular transports.

Tbh though I doubt they remember bike armies are an actual thing. They've not seemed keen on bikes for years.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Bikes falling by the wayside is a symptom of the greater concern of GW becoming vastly less metal over time.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ravenwing Black Knights are :black101: as gently caress.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
That makes sense. I wouldn't be surprised if Primaris "bikes" ended up as sleek hovercraft instead of full on heavy metal motorcycle cavalry.

Agreed on the toe stepping concern, too. Other than the HQs and perhaps tacticals, Primaris seem to be made intentionally overly distinct. It's weird not having niches as simple as chainsword user represented.

What do you guys expect in the future? I can foresee a flamer unit in the style of Hellblasters, and maybe even a Melta unit in that vein, although probably not Oops Five Lascannons because that'd be nuts.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I expect to see some kind of volkite bullshit. Or maybe more esoteric graviton weapons. Some kind of poo poo Cawl makes for his pets.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

chutche2 posted:

I expect to see some kind of volkite bullshit. Or maybe more esoteric graviton weapons. Some kind of poo poo Cawl makes for his pets.

Speaking of, you'd think being Cawl's pet project these poor guys would get easy access to Techmarine lessons.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

It's weird not having niches as simple as chainsword user represented.
Reivers? :confused:

The Bee posted:

I can foresee a flamer unit in the style of Hellblasters
Aggressors? :confused:

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
Found pics of the Fury Road Orks

Also spoke with the guy who apparently caused the "if you have only fliers on the board, you loose" errata thanks to his antics at ATC.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ToyotaThong posted:

Found pics of the Fury Road Orks

Also spoke with the guy who apparently caused the "if you have only fliers on the board, you loose" errata thanks to his antics at ATC.

this is great. he even has a thunderdome.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

this is great. he even has a thunderdome.

That's where he kept his Warboss and Weirdboy.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

moths posted:

4chan's Angry Marines are so loving stupid.

I'm more into the unintentionally bad chapters that the owners take seriously

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Munchables posted:

Cool, thanks :) There were a bunch of those dudes with the silver gun in the bin, and they're solid metal, everything else is plastic. I grabbed the ork because he little smiling face is just so :3: and there were also a few metal orks in there that my gf grabbed

Head of the chaos warrior is a brettonian knight head where they're chopped off the little thingy on top and replaced it with the head-brazier from the flagellants kit (rotated 180 to how it is on the guy in that kit).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JoshTheStampede posted:

Actually, I think the Inquisitor can. He can ignore the primaris restriction and the thing doesn't say terminators aren't allowed.

He's only allowed on vehicles that can carry terminators, and the Repulsor only carries Primaris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

He's only allowed on vehicles that can carry terminators, and the Repulsor only carries Primaris.

I think they might need to FAQ that because in every case where something cant carry terminators it says specifically no terminators.

The only thing the repulsor says is no jump packs and regular terminators are excluded by the primaris tag, but inquisitors ignore tags like that.