Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
then again

https://twitter.com/dril/status/361282749086175234?lang=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

A guy in a rut with depression being enjoyable and relatable? Why yes, I have watched One Punch Man.

Why do you bring it up in the context of Sota?

i've also watched opm and yeah, saitama in general is relatable but sota's lack of power/regret is a much more laser-focused relatability than saitama's whole situation. also it really doesn't help when a good amount of opm uses saitama's condition as a joke where in re:creators rarely jokes about sota's (if at all).

dudermcbrohan fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 16, 2017

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

AnacondaHL posted:

I mean, even on the female character side, what fan popularity poll isn't dominated by horny fan thirst?

Sometimes that thirst lines up with really good taste though. Like for instance, sometimes Tiger and Bunny top those character popularity polls because girls still really love them and they should because Tiger and Bunny are the best.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This is super late but the best moment of this show so far is the part of the recap where Meteora bitches about Altair's character design being hard to animate for a solid minute.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I caught up on this show because I hate myself. The last six episodes felt like they provided about three episodes of content, which is at least a better ratio than the first seven or eight.

I feel like there's a really good 12 episode series buried somewhere inside these 22 episodes; I guess that's why I came back.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Desuwa posted:

I caught up on this show because I hate myself. The last six episodes felt like they provided about three episodes of content, which is at least a better ratio than the first seven or eight.

I feel like there's a really good 12 episode series buried somewhere inside these 22 episodes; I guess that's why I came back.
It was the recap episode.

Yes I'm shocked too.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
megane's towel is the most powerful creation there is

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I honestly think part of the problem with the show is Rei Hiroe. The guy's got good ideas and is a very talented artist but... being concise and getting loving on with it are not his greatest strengths.

and that's why Jormungand is better than Black Lagoon

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

No episode this week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCyjA17UwL4

A lot of arrogance to have a recap episode and skip a week when the pacing is this bad.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

I honestly think part of the problem with the show is Rei Hiroe. The guy's got good ideas and is a very talented artist but... being concise and getting loving on with it are not his greatest strengths.

and that's why Jormungand is better than Black Lagoon

Dear sir I will not let this insult stand.

Ridiculously-well-animated-and-drawn-with-a-lot-of-details pistols at dawn!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Black Lagoon: a salaryman does thug stuff with his thug friends
Jormungand: an albino gunrunner has a toy company make a quantum computer to stop all air travel by hacking it (because apparently international commerce was impossible before computers and cargo aircraft) and this will somehow end all war

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

C.M. Kruger posted:

Black Lagoon: a salaryman does thug stuff with his thug friends
Jormungand: an albino gunrunner has a toy company make a quantum computer to stop all air travel by hacking it (because apparently international commerce was impossible before computers and cargo aircraft) and this will somehow end all war
And if Killer 7 proves anything it'll just lead to raging hordes of suicide bombers and ICBMs

...What if you literally just had ReCreators but with the mechanics of Killer7? Switching between the different creations based on special abilities after an invasion of literally every trash mob and some monster of the week types at the behest of the government. That could be pretty cool as a spinoff game, and I hope we get a whole bunch of spinoff games (Arc, please make a fighting game) to make up for this 6/10 show that could've so easily been a 10.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Archer666 posted:

Dear sir I will not let this insult stand.

Ridiculously-well-animated-and-drawn-with-a-lot-of-details pistols at dawn!

if it's anything like that roberta arc, dawn is going to span a period of 18 hours

and if it's anything like re:creators, we'd get to the point to dawn, there'd be a snarky flashback episode, then we'd each pull the trigger, but the shot will not be depicted and instead there'd be an interview with our voice actors

i want keith david to voice act me

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You know, it's dumb, but the more the mechanics are revealed, the more certain I am that Saitama would gently caress everything up.

Altair's so powerful because people pretty much go "Yeah, sure, whatever" to any arbitrary ability. But Saitama's whole thing is being stronger than his opponents, this goofy looking bald dude with a dumb backstory who defeats everyone and is disappointed. Where Altair can normally get anything elaborately fan animated accepted, anything against Caped Baldy would probably draw "You know he'd win, right? That's what he does. In one punch."

A situation that requires thought and planning and meta-textual shenanigans reduced to just punching, because man. That dude is good at punching.

(He's also quite good at cutting through talky bullshit, which this show dearly needs someone to do.)

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I guess Magane could steal his power but then she would go bald.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I guess Magane could steal his power but then she would go bald.
Cutie Baldy Serial Killer would rule.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm already really sick of

"Have you heard about what Sota's doing?"
"No, what?"
[smash cut]
"Wow, that's a kuhrazy idea. Probably too crazy to work."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Caphi posted:

"No, what?"
[smash cut]

He should only have people talking about his crazy ideas if he's visibly doing something crazy.

Like dressing as Doraemon and shoving high schoolers off a bridge alongside the Yakuza, or getting into hundred man arm wrestling competitions.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Caphi posted:

"No, what?"
[smash cut]

I want them to do that literally, except have it be after he did the crazy thing and it totally worked. Give us the other kind of bad pacing show, I beg you.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Even on the off chance that it doesn't work (which it will, come on), there's still no way it'll be anything but a thudding failure to live up to all this hype.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
the talking...so much talking...

I cant take any more exposition GIVE ME THE PAYOFF ALREADY YOU FUCKS

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I'm ok with the talking this time.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Darke GBF posted:

I haven't seen it yet, but please tell me someone has alluded in a tone of awe to what Sota is doing but not actually saying anything about what it is while on camera.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Darke GBF posted:

I have never seen a show that has treated their audience as if they were sacks of completely dumbass motherfuckers quite like this ever before. Like they don't need to spend FIVE episodes in a row describing the PREMISE to us again. Like, not even the plot, just the introductory PREMISE of what they are doing. Oh, but this time with hot springs tits. We get it, we got it in the first 5 minutes, move on, please.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

AnacondaHL posted:

I have never seen a show that has treated their audience as if they were sacks of completely dumbass motherfuckers quite like this ever before. Like they don't need to spend FIVE episodes in a row describing the PREMISE to us again. Like, not even the plot, just the introductory PREMISE of what they are doing. Oh, but this time with hot springs tits. We get it, we got it in the first 5 minutes, move on, please.
What twisted new breed of cynicism made the writers make this story the way it is?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
All they needed to do was make a meta, genre-mashup, Fate ripoff but instead we get a show featuring both the most passive protagonist of all time, and the most passive villain too.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
My guess is they were saving up budget (in terms of man-hours) for the upcoming fight.

Ever wanted to Be The Anime?

--

That aside, I feel like a lot of people here are trying to get from this anime something it's not trying to be. Yes, it definitely gave off the vibe it was meant to be more action oriented, but if 15 episodes didn't disabuse you of that notion shouldn't the problem be in you?

Kyte fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 30, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mordja posted:

All they needed to do was make a meta, genre-mashup, Fate ripoff but instead we get a show featuring both the most passive protagonist of all time, and the most passive villain too.
Never before have an MC and a Villain deserved each other this much. Well, maybe if you count Scott Pilgrim.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kyte posted:

That aside, I feel like a lot of people here are trying to get from this anime something it's not trying to be. Yes, it definitely gave off the vibe it was meant to be more action oriented, but if 15 episodes didn't disabuse you of that notion shouldn't the problem be in you?

Cool, too bad it's not plot, character, or comedy-oriented either, it just shows flashes of those things.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kyte posted:

What is it trying to be, then? Because mostly, it seems to be a big wad of nothing.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Kyte posted:

At this point the show isn't giving anyone anything. It's not that it's not action oriented, it's that it's not anything oriented. It's just Meteora, or other characters, repeatedly dumping the same information with different phrasing. Even for people who like infodumpy garbage it's not good infodumping or technobabble; some of the characters have a copy of the script and are explaining it to the audience because it doesn't follow logically from what the show has actually shown us.

Maybe it's trying to be something to complain about, which is something it's definitely succeeding in doing. It feels like the writers are so far up their own asses that they think they're writing a masterpiece and don't want anyone in the audience to miss any part of it, so they explain everything in exhausting detail.

It feels like there's a much shorter, decent series buried inside this padded out garbage, but even that's uncertain. I want it to end with all the creations fading away and being forgotten so that only the wet blanket of an MC remembers them, then I'll be able to say the show is completely irredeemable and has a worse ending than Kado.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
It's telling how much the fanart production has slowed down. Seemed like Pixiv was getting a good 4-5 pages a day early on, but now it's maybe 2-3 pages a week at most. And there's been very few things of the characters interacting (eg, comics instead of portraits) because for the most part they haven't so there's not a lot for fans to build off of. The most character development we've gotten was from the Precure, and that ended with her going "I know now, why you cry" and getting killed off.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Mordja posted:

Cool, too bad it's not plot, character, or comedy-oriented either, it just shows flashes of those things.

It is definitely character oriented. The intent is very clearly to show how these different people interact with each other, and how they grow as individuals when they're out of the narrative confines of their series, or in the case of the creators, how they cope with management, deadlines, etc.

Then Meteora pops out of the water and the show becomes an infodump again. I swear the episode was very close to perfect slice of life up until that point. She's nowhere near as good a character as the show's writer thinks she is.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I like Meteora when she's not the Oracle of Exposition - look at the recap episode, even though it was exposition - but that now accounts for such a huge bulk of her screentime that it's really hard.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Meteora is funny when she's being an egomaniac because it clashes hard with the rest of her character and her manner of speaking. That works fine. The problem is that aside from those one-off moments every now and again she's terrible.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

In the last episode they did indirectly explain why Meteora is like that: All the characters are getting re-written to be more powerful, Meteora included. She off-hand mentions how powerful her magic is, so we can deduce that also increases her Insufferable Exposition Power Level.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
i'm kinda sad we won't get fanservice scenes for Team Military Princess

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I imagine Meteora will get her nendoroid then no more will be made. I've cooled off pretty hard on the show.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Does the concept of creators shaping and pretty much deciding the fate of your creations translate in anything interesting that doesnt involve powerups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Unfortunately all the creators are too bland and wholesome to really do anything interesting with the concept, outside of dating sim writer guy. They're all super passionate whose wants more or less align with their creations. We don't have any work-a-day writers, authors writing about characters whose morals are different than their own, or even just someone writing a satire. Everyone is working on their passion project and all of those passion projects are dreadfully straight forward.

• Locked thread