Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

MisterBibs posted:

Kinda broad, but the notion of playing Pokemon is always more interesting than actually playing it. Like, at first I decide to play, and then I realize I kinda have to optimize to beat the bosses. Then I remember that X% of the Pokemon I want to get are locked off because it's a choice between 2 or three, or only show up in the sister version of the game, and then pfft, there goes the motivation.

Pokemon Go almost fit that niche, but all the Pokemon Go poo poo comes up.

Why are you optimising in a children's game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

MisterBibs posted:

I kinda have to optimize to beat the bosses.

good lord lmao

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Somfin posted:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
misterbibs, everyone

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Somfin posted:

I don't mean anything hardcore (after all, reading is a skill, and a cursory reading of my post made that clear), just realizing that it's easier if I pick X Pokemon at the start because the first gym leader has Y Pokemon.

I've no idea if it's changed, I'm just going off the memories of the first game, that picking the red dragon starter was bad because of the first leader. That level of X being better than Y, across a whole game, is wearying.

E: Not to mention that I literally have no interest in anything but the 150 I know about, so getting Pokemon Coffee And Tea or whatever is a turnoff.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 07:10 on Jul 30, 2017

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Pokémon is literally designed so that you can beat it with any team, barring intentionally trying to fail. The only time X is better than Y truly matters outside of multiplayer is elemental weaknesses.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Onix is a piece of styrofoam and even a 4x ineffective Ember will devour his pitiful special defense because Onix is an embarrassment.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Schubalts posted:

The only time X is better than Y truly matters outside of multiplayer is elemental weaknesses.

That's basically what I'm talking about. Reading is a skill, if there was just a Pokemon without the battling / elemental / team poo poo, I'd probably play it.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 07:13 on Jul 30, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

MisterBibs posted:

Reading is a skill

You keep saying this

MisterBibs posted:

if there was just a Pokemon without the battling / elemental / team poo poo, I'd probably play it.

And as far as I can tell based on this, you want a Pokemon game about literally just walking around and reading

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I literally beat pokemon red with a charizard with a cut hm taught to him when I was 6. As in I didn't even use other pokemon. I would go into battle using charizard with scratch, cut, flamethrower and ember.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Bibs continues to be astoundingly bad at games in new and bizarre ways.

Leal posted:

I literally beat pokemon red with a charizard with a cut hm taught to him when I was 6. As in I didn't even use other pokemon. I would go into battle using charizard with scratch, cut, flamethrower and ember.

Same except Pokemon Blue with Blastoise who learned Mega Punch eventually and just 1 hit KO'd eeeeeverything forevermore when it did.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

You keep saying this

I will as long as there are those quoting my posts who have clearly not mastered that skill.

And as far as I can tell based on this, you want a Pokemon game about literally just walking around and reading

And collecting Pokemon. Sort of like the original design documents, where there was a Charm stat (unrelated to the evental move) that would've determined how easily one collected Pokemon, instead of battling.

Give me a Pokemon game in the vein of Animal Crossing or Stardew Valley, and I'd be on that poo poo like white on rice. As it stands, my interest/motivation in playing Pokemon lasts a day or two.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 07:44 on Jul 30, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Leal posted:

Same, but he didn't have cut, and I used the rest of my team to throw max revives at him when we hit that Elite Four boss who had a ton of ice pokes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I once Solo'd Brock with a highly-grinded Pikachu with Quick Attack and potions, because Pikachu solo'd him in the anime and I was an idiot child. (Pokemon Yellow)

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Mr Bibs you are having trouble at a game that idiot dumbfuck children who don't know poo poo can beat.

MisterBibs posted:

And collecting Pokemon. Sort of like the original design documents, where there was a Charm stat (unrelated to the evental move) that would've determined how easily one collected Pokemon, instead of battling.

this would be terrible and boring

MisterBibs posted:

Give me a Pokemon game in the vein of Animal Crossing or Stardew Valley, and I'd be on that poo poo like white on rice. As it stands, my interest/motivation in playing Pokemon lasts a day or two.

rice comes in brown too

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leal posted:

Yeah, there's a reason why they never broke away from the fire, water, grass starter roster.

Its because none of those types are just straight up 0% effective against any other type. So even the most illiterate child can beat the game.

Slime posted:

Mr Bibs you are having trouble at a game that idiot dumbfuck children who don't know poo poo can beat.

this would be terrible and boring

What he really wants is a Game where you recruit SMT/Persona demons minus the socializing and dungeon crawl aspect.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 10:23 on Jul 30, 2017

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Give me a Diablo-Genre Game only:
  • There's actual level-design and not RNG Bob Ross.
  • I can change my mind about my character's build and respec with the gold in my pocket.
  • I can choose my character's appearance.
  • I can play it offline.
  • There are actual sidequests.
  • My character is an active agent in events and not some rando who hangs out with the real heroes.
  • There is quiet-time.
  • There aren't a million mooks on screen at once.
  • I pay up-front for the game and expansions and then nothing else.
  • Big numbers alone won't help me topple Gods unless I use some strategy.
This game either doesn't exist or is not in the genre any more.

Victor Vran - everythings equipment based so you can respec on the fly. Skills are tied to your weapons (you can carry two weapons at once, each has 3 or so skills) and most of your items come in the form of tarot cards that let you change your stats and weapon performance to set up cool combos (i liked to chain together "enemies explode in fire on death" and "enemies explode into ice on crits" and turn it into a reverse bullet-hell)

My favourite weapon is the spell book - you get a rapid fire magic missile that causes enemies to drop glowy arcane orbs. Your other skills are an aoe implosion that sucks enemies in, and a dash attack, which both have very long cooldowns that get instantly reset when you pick up an arcane orb. So once you get the rhythm right you can constantly dash around and blow people up like a maniac.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Slime posted:

RareAcumen posted:

What he really wants is a Game where you recruit SMT/Persona demons minus the socializing and dungeon crawl aspect.

Guys stop no, you're giving Bibs what he wants

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just expanded every world past the first one before I ever went into it.

Don't take this as me disagreeing with the rest of your post.

I was goinnto put that in the post, but even doing that it means you have to a) always collect enough to expand the next book instantly and b) still sit through an extra cutscene and dialog sequence when you get a new level before you play it because that is somehow a fulfilling feature.

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros, I beg you, please stop explaining everything all the time. Let me try to guess how stuff works and let me fail if I don't get something right. Please, please, stop interrupting me. I am getting really tired of what should be a cute, fun game. I am 10 hours in, there is no need to keep explaining how to see the abilities every time I unlock one - I got that the first time.

I don't remember the first Mario & Luigi being like this, granted I played that years ago, when it first was released. It is really annoying, I am even considering just selling the game on Ebay or something.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Mendigo posted:

I don't remember the first Mario & Luigi being like this,
It was. Okay, actually I can't make the comparison because I haven't played Dream Team Bros, but Mario & Luigi has always been insufferably tutorialized.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

MisterBibs posted:

I don't mean anything hardcore (after all, reading is a skill, and a cursory reading of my post made that clear), just realizing that it's easier if I pick X Pokemon at the start because the first gym leader has Y Pokemon.

I've no idea if it's changed, I'm just going off the memories of the first game, that picking the red dragon starter was bad because of the first leader. That level of X being better than Y, across a whole game, is wearying.

E: Not to mention that I literally have no interest in anything but the 150 I know about, so getting Pokemon Coffee And Tea or whatever is a turnoff.

Sorry that I read the word "optimising" and thought you meant "optimising" instead of whatever definition exists in your head, I suppose writing is also a skill

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

It was. Okay, actually I can't make the comparison because I haven't played Dream Team Bros, but Mario & Luigi has always been insufferably tutorialized.

Huh. I guess I was way more patient then...

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I used to think LT.Surge was hard when I was a kid, and then I found out Diglett is an absolute beast who will out-right murder both Surge and Erika with constant digging.
Turns out something I missed a lot as a kid was that there is always a pokemon around that can beat the gym leader and also that stat reducing moves are actually really useful.
Especially with guys like Brock - whose signature move is Bide, which gives you time to spam stat reducing moves and leave his Pokemon severely crippled.

It's pretty easy to go off child hood memories and say how hard X was, and then you fight them again like ten years later and you wipe the floor with them with ease.

For content though, the amount of Pokemon that can High-Five you in Sun/Moon is disturbingly low. Even your starter will stop high-fiving you once they evolve. :(

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

scarycave posted:

For content though, the amount of Pokemon that can High-Five you in Sun/Moon is disturbingly low. Even your starter will stop high-fiving you once they evolve. :(

What, even Litten? That loving cat straight up gets hands when it evolves fully, that should make it MORE able to high five!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
PYF Thing Dragging This Game Down: My Multi-Handed Cat Won't High-Five Me

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Mario & Luigi has always very thoroughly explained its mechanics, yeah, but there's something about Dream Team that just seems worse, and I can't remember what it was because I gave up on that stupid game and never finished it. It's the only M&L where that's the case, too. The fights get really exhausting after a while.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 14:21 on Jul 30, 2017

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I enjoy the idea of carefully optimizing your Pokemon team, but not realizing you can optimize a hot-dog by slicing it before you put it into the bun.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I enjoy the idea of carefully optimizing your Pokemon team, but not realizing you can optimize a hot-dog by slicing it before you put it into the bun.

W-what?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's a MisterBibs joke. Also apparently I hyphenate "hot dog?"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's a MisterBibs joke. Also apparently I hyphenate "hot dog?"

I got the MisterBibs, but I don't understand slicing your hotdog before you put it in the bun. :downs:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I got the MisterBibs, but I don't understand slicing your hotdog before you put it in the bun. :downs:
Hot dogs are a common choking hazard for children, and doctors recommend slicing them before you put them in the bun to reduce the risk.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

Hot dogs are a common choking hazard for children, and doctors recommend slicing them before you put them in the bun to reduce the risk.

Also if you spiral slice them it gives you more surface area to season and makes them crispier if you're grilling #doghacks

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

I'd encourage you to reread my posts, because I never said anything about these games being hard. I just don't find playing them as fun as the idea of playing them is. There's just too much poo poo I'm not into. Battling bores me, you can't really Collect Them All, and I'm not at all interested in the 152-??? they've added since I last played.

I didn't really feel I had to reexplain for those in the cheap seats that can't read, but here we are.

Hell, for both content and elaboration, the same thing happens with Legend of Zelda games. I loved Ocarina of Time and can play it every couple of years and enjoy the poo poo out of it. Every other game in the franchise that I try? All its myriad Not Ocarina Stuff kills my interest, and I eventually just play Ocarina again.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Somfin posted:

Sorry that I read the word "optimising" and thought you meant "optimising" instead of whatever definition exists in your head, I suppose writing is also a skill

hey remember that MB actually savescummed xcom so hard because he couldnt stand the idea of missing a shot, so take everything he writes through the filter of an absolute brokebrain dumbass that disappoints his parents every day by being such a complete fuckup that he can't even eat children's foods while failing so spectacularly at children's video games

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

MisterBibs posted:

I'd encourage you to reread my posts, because I never said anything about these games being hard. I just don't find playing them as fun as the idea of playing them is. There's just too much poo poo I'm not into. Battling bores me, you can't really Collect Them All, and I'm not at all interested in the 152-??? they've added since I last played.

I didn't really feel I had to reexplain for those in the cheap seats that can't read, but here we are.

Hell, for both content and elaboration, the same thing happens with Legend of Zelda games. I loved Ocarina of Time and can play it every couple of years and enjoy the poo poo out of it. Every other game in the franchise that I try? All its myriad Not Ocarina Stuff kills my interest, and I eventually just play Ocarina again.

I'd recommend Pokemon Snap then, personally. But that's just me.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

MisterBibs posted:

Why do you play games?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

MisterBibs posted:

I'd encourage you to reread my posts

Personally, I wouldn't.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

Also if you spiral slice them it gives you more surface area to season and makes them crispier if you're grilling #doghacks

and if you put it in a grinder you get nothing but surface area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Is it fair to say Mr Bibs is like the Anti-Me?