Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It's pretty bad yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

baram. posted:

my motivation to slog through ending b of nier is quickly disappearing.

Where are you at? There's a point about 60% of the way through where it completely diverges from A and you might be closer than you think.

If you enjoyed A it's worth it to keep going! You can do it!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

baram. posted:

my motivation to slog through ending b of nier is quickly disappearing.
I took a break of a few weeks shortly after starting B and enjoyed it when I returned and had forgotten more about A. Later in B is when you get some plot doled out that you didn't see in A, when you finish there's a little like trailer for the rest of the game that got me really pumped, but I'm taking another break to finally play TW3: Hearts of Stone before starting C.

Speaking, Hearts of Stone is great! I complained a few days ago about returning to the combat and mechanics of TW3 being a disappointment after playing HZD, but re-familiarizing after like a year since finished the base game has helped -- mostly remembering that this is an easy game, mashing buttons and just using health potions will suffice in most cases without worrying about all the other poo poo.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah C made it worthwhile y'all were right

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There is no way to compare the gameplay or graphics of Neir to any other open world game that came out this year.

It's story is cool but it's a purposely broken narrative compared to Horizon so it's hard to see the whole thing unless you really dive in.

Musically Neir is great, mechanically it's like a hot mess. There actually IS a deep combat system in Neir, but unlike other Platinum games, you have to grind to see it. Once you have have multiple pods, upgraded chips, pod programs and different weapons it starts to do it's own thing, but I went in expecting a bigger focus of skill and instead it is the most brainless platinum game by a staggering margin.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I could be finishing Prey, enjoying Yakuza 0 or getting better at Guilty Gear and Tekken. Instead for the last week I've been dedicating myself to getting achievements in Adventure Capitalist. I can't seem to stop. Please send help :'(

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Bust Rodd posted:

There is no way to compare the gameplay or graphics of Neir to any other open world game that came out this year.

It's story is cool but it's a purposely broken narrative compared to Horizon so it's hard to see the whole thing unless you really dive in.

Musically Neir is great, mechanically it's like a hot mess. There actually IS a deep combat system in Neir, but unlike other Platinum games, you have to grind to see it. Once you have have multiple pods, upgraded chips, pod programs and different weapons it starts to do it's own thing, but I went in expecting a bigger focus of skill and instead it is the most brainless platinum game by a staggering margin.

I mean, Nier is a SQUARE-ENIX property, they want their stuff to be more accessible, which means not full-bore Platinum insanity.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Bust Rodd posted:

You dont have to grind at all. You will get plenty of chips from playing the story. A lot of stuff is locked behind location progress so its actually a bit anti grinding because you wont get new parts until later.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Basically, Meridian like people said, but the reason is that before that you really have no idea the scope of the story or the world. The map is much more varied and interesting than you would infer from the first hours. You have mountains, deserts, blizzarding snow areas, lush jungles, cool remains of the old world, intricate human settlements where each section has its own culture, architecture etc. and some way more sci-fi stuff I won't get in to for spoiler reasons. Then on top of that ,the real great part about the story is how it ties into the old civilization and what went wrong, which the game actually does a great job of explaining (like, practically every question you could come up with about how things came to be is answered pretty thoroughly). In the early hours it's easy to think the story is just a generic hero's journey deal, but there is actually way more to it than that.

TLDR: The opening hours are a really bad way to judge the final experience you'll have playing the whole thing.

ok, I'll beeline there then. I just read a whole bunch of people say to get past "the start of the game" for it to get good, so I assumed that would be sooner than somewhere that my map implies is 2/3 of the way across the world. I expected to enjoy the gameplay more than I am, since it has a lot of elements that I enjoy, but in practice it doesn't feel very entertaining at all right now.

But I just picked up titanfall 2 for the new co-op mode so it might be awhile if the game grabs me. The campaign is fantastic so far and I hope it stays this good to the end

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess the game wasn't entirely clear but the beginning of Horizon is Dragon Quest: you're the chosen one from a small village and you need to go meet the king and then the game starts.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I liked Horizon but I'm definitely not as high on it as some people. Coming from BOTW, I thought the open world wasn't very interesting to explore and the story didn't really grab me either. The combat was better than average which was a big plus but I think it had some problems with some tactics really trivializing it.

I think I like Nier more but the reasons why I like Nier are so different from the reasons why I like Horizon that it seems dumb to compare them in that regard.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Andrast posted:

I liked Horizon but I'm definitely not as high on it as some people. Coming from BOTW, I thought the open world wasn't very interesting to explore and the story didn't really grab me either. The combat was better than average which was a big plus but I think it had some problems with some tactics really trivializing it.

I think I like Nier more but the reasons why I like Nier are so different from the reasons why I like Horizon that it seems dumb to compare them in that regard.

:same:

I really wish I played horizon before Botw. I feel like its the pinnacle of a style of open world that Botw shattered as a style.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

I really wish I played horizon before Botw. I feel like its the pinnacle of a style of open world that Botw shattered as a style.

I kept trying to aim my bow in Horizon with gyro aim like in BOTW since I played them back to back.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Andrast posted:

I kept trying to aim my bow in Horizon with gyro aim like in BOTW since I played them back to back.

I kept shooting the bow from stealth on accident because Botw realized that aiming a bow is a literal waste of a button press.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I love how in BOTW you sure as poo poo had better stay away from the castle in the center of the map for most of the game, and not for any artificial reason but just because the Laputa bots there will laser you on sight.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Samurai Sanders posted:

I love how in BOTW you sure as poo poo had better stay away from the castle in the center of the map for most of the game, and not for any artificial reason but just because the Laputa bots there will laser you on sight.

Get good at parrying, friend :getin:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I don't enjoy the fighting in Horizon one bit. It's weightless, impactless, and just feels bad.

It encourages you to switch between weapons but you can only have four in your active inventory, often forcing you to switch during battles.

The dodge is complete dogshit and it's a crapshot whether you'll dodge an attack or not. Even if you attack enemies with their weaknesses the animation and sound effects are so impactless it feels like you're throwing towels at them.

Last week I heard Witcher 3 devs helped with the game and then everything made sense. The gameplay and UI was its weakest aspect as well.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah, it's tough to compare Nier:A's graphics and gameplay to any game released after 2013. I enjoyed it overall but it was a slog at times. Though I kinda hosed up by expecting A Platinum Game going in, I wish I had known it was a JRPG first and foremost.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Been thinking about buying another PS4 game now that I've got my credit card paid off.

I had been debating between Persona 5 and Nier: Automata a while ago, and decided to go with Persona. I'd still like to try Nier: Automata, but P5 has got me hooked into it, and from what I've heard, N:A also is a pretty massive time-sink.

Looking through the list of PS4 games I made, I saw I had Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth on it. Looking at some videos, it doesn't look too impressive gameplay-wise, but I remember someone saying had a pretty interesting story. Also, I imagine it's pretty time-consuming as well.

I had been wanting to get the Crash Trilogy, but the mixed reception at release put me off from it. I played the original Crash games, but I've heard that there were some issues with the load times, and that some of difficulty issues stemmed from the fact that Crash doesn't have proper collision when he lands from a jump (not in the sense that he clips through terrain, but that he doesn't land squarely where he should), and I was wondering if any of that had been fixed with patches.

Apart from full games, I've heard that the Nioh DLC is pretty good, and I thought about getting the season pass. I've also been thinking about getting PS Plus so I could try the multiplayer for it, along with the other benefits. Sixty dollars for a year's subscription is a pretty good price, but I'm still hesitant to try it, only because I've heard that the free games that you get monthly haven't been really good as of late.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

acksplode posted:

Yeah, it's tough to compare Nier:A's graphics and gameplay to any game released after 2013. I enjoyed it overall but it was a slog at times. Though I kinda hosed up by expecting A Platinum Game going in, I wish I had known it was a JRPG first and foremost.
You and I must have different definitions of JRPG.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bombadilillo posted:

This is how I felt the year that Bloodborne came out ahead of Witcher 3.

I was so excited for Witcher in the months leading up, then BB comes out and is absolutely brilliant, basically shits all over TW3 which ended up a boring slog with garbo controls, UI, and combat.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

You and I must have different definitions of JRPG.

Grindy numbersfight mashing X through sidequest dialogue cutscenes

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Yeah I don't think we played the same game

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Ah my mistake, it's a fishing sim

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

acksplode posted:

I first read this as a fisting sim and well...

Renoistic posted:

Even if you attack enemies with their weaknesses the animation and sound effects are so impactless it feels like you're throwing towels at them.
Parts exploding and flying off of them as you hit them doesn't do anything for you? It did for me.

edit: or were you not configured right to basically take one component off per arrow? Also some people don't know that holding down the trigger doesn't make arrows do any more damage, so you should just be pelting enemies with arrows as fast as you can other than at long range. Bombadilillo was right, the video game bow mechanic of holding a button sucks and should go so it doesn't confuse people anymore.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 30, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

acksplode posted:

:yeah:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
in unrelated news, I bought The Witness since it was on sale and it's really just a great game. fun to look at, I love the way it tries to get you to learn, even if I suck at it sometimes (took me forever to get how to start the desert palace for whatever reason), and it's nice to have a game kind of like Myst where you just get to explore and solve puzzles.

speaking of which, I have I think three different versions of Myst on my computer that all don't work without either crashing or not playing the video, so this is a good reminder that, though they aren't without glitches and bad releases, I've always had way more reliability from consoles than PCs and I'm glad console gaming is a thing.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Its funny every one says to get past the opening part of HZD but that's the part I enjoyed the most and had the strongest narrative. I think it's because Rost has a great VA and all the sidequests tie almost directly into the main plot arc whereas later on its just some random poo poo you're doing. Meridian was also pretty disappointing to me because take away the collectathon merchants (don't bother btw) and its just like any other town, an area with a handful of quests and a couple shops that just takes longer to traverse. That poo poo ain't no Novigrad, I mean hell it's not even a Diamond City.

Also my combat arc basically went only using the bow->wow look at all these cool different weapons->oh I got the best bow and the mods that make fire arrows do like 5x as much damage->only using the bow. It doesn't help that its really easy to get basically the best gear like 40% into the game (super power armor you get five minutes before the ending doesn't count).

I mean, I still really enjoyed it, the combat is solid and the main quest is compelling, but it has some seriously questionable design decisions throughout.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

morallyobjected posted:

speaking of which, I have I think three different versions of Myst on my computer that all don't work without either crashing or not playing the video, so this is a good reminder that, though they aren't without glitches and bad releases, I've always had way more reliability from consoles than PCs and I'm glad console gaming is a thing.

Which versions do you have? I know there were two different release of the original Myst.

You might want to check out the GOG release. They're pretty good about getting games set up to run properly on modern operating systems.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Renoistic posted:

I don't enjoy the fighting in Horizon one bit. It's weightless, impactless, and just feels bad.

It encourages you to switch between weapons but you can only have four in your active inventory, often forcing you to switch during battles.

The dodge is complete dogshit and it's a crapshot whether you'll dodge an attack or not. Even if you attack enemies with their weaknesses the animation and sound effects are so impactless it feels like you're throwing towels at them.

Last week I heard Witcher 3 devs helped with the game and then everything made sense. The gameplay and UI was its weakest aspect as well.

Every time you post about Horizon I'm just completely baffled. Like, if someone doesn't like it that's fine but I have never heard anyone else make any of these complaints, because they are completely ridiculous and not representative of the game at all. The sound design and weightiness in combat are excellent, and the dodge is super effective, so I have no idea what the gently caress you are on about.

Wolfsheim posted:

Its funny every one says to get past the opening part of HZD but that's the part I enjoyed the most and had the strongest narrative. I think it's because Rost has a great VA and all the sidequests tie almost directly into the main plot arc whereas later on its just some random poo poo you're doing. Meridian was also pretty disappointing to me because take away the collectathon merchants (don't bother btw) and its just like any other town, an area with a handful of quests and a couple shops that just takes longer to traverse. That poo poo ain't no Novigrad, I mean hell it's not even a Diamond City.

Also my combat arc basically went only using the bow->wow look at all these cool different weapons->oh I got the best bow and the mods that make fire arrows do like 5x as much damage->only using the bow. It doesn't help that its really easy to get basically the best gear like 40% into the game (super power armor you get five minutes before the ending doesn't count).

I mean, I still really enjoyed it, the combat is solid and the main quest is compelling, but it has some seriously questionable design decisions throughout.

It's not that the opening isn't good, it's that it's not a very good gauge for what the whole game is like. And yeah, it's not like Meridian is a amazing as a hub it's just a really cool set piece that really gets the game rolling and you can get better gear there. I don't think Horizon needed a Novigrad or Diamond City, it's less of an RPG than TW3 or Fallout.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Get the Vantages collectibles map, that little story is some of the best writing in the game and it's fun to discover where in the world you are actually.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I played Horizon on very easy and skipped past almost all the dialogue and it made the experience better for me personally.

I think its great people can get caught up in that games narrative but to me it's like getting really into dota for the lore.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do you know that if you skipped all of it?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Is that Ark Survival thing fun? And is it worth it without multiplayer?

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

veni veni veni posted:

How do you know that if you skipped all of it?

I dunno man, its just the way I play games I find lengthy dialogue sequences slow me down, I guess it depends on the game though. If its Witcher or Mass Effect I'll listen to every line of dialogue but something about the narrative in Horizon just didn't interest me at all.

I've heard a lot of people say they really liked the exposition in Horizon and I wouldn't say it's bad or poorly done, it's just not what I wanted from the game. Honestly the only reason it stands out with Horizon is the one room near the end where you get dumped with several audio-logs etc. When I'm 90% through a game, I'm going to want to rush things to get to the end not spend time standing still hearing plot points.

Still, got my 40 odd hours out of it, still might be my favorite game this year.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just think it's weird that you have an opinion on something you didn't bother to experience. I'm sure the Witcher has a boring narrative too if you skip 90% of it.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

veni veni veni posted:

I just think it's weird that you have an opinion on something you didn't bother to experience. I'm sure the Witcher has a boring narrative too if you skip 90% of it.

When I say I "skipped it all" I don't mean I mashed x like an autistic manbaby everytime the game took control away from me, I mean that I could tell from the opening hours what the games main strengths were. It's less "The cutscenes in Horizon are poorly done and don't add to the game" and more "I really liked shooting the robot dinosaurs".

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
tbh I'm feeling the same. Some of the NPC interactions are fun, but a lot of the dialogue is droning about stuff which I don't find terribly interesting. Did you know Alloy is a rebel, guys, and that this creepy sociopath really likes killing bandits?

Just give me another giant dinosaur to fight, game.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Hey dudes

whats a cheap cable to connect my ds4 to the computer so i can emulate a 360 controller because I assume its cheaper to get a cable to do that than replace the wireless 360 adapter I had but my cat chewed through because shes an rear end in a top hat thanks bros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ramadu posted:

Hey dudes

whats a cheap cable to connect my ds4 to the computer so i can emulate a 360 controller because I assume its cheaper to get a cable to do that than replace the wireless 360 adapter I had but my cat chewed through because shes an rear end in a top hat thanks bros

The cable the controller came with