Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

really wouldn't mind new FD voices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Yeah Droz and Davis are cool but MY GOD they need at least triple the voicelines for them. Also, i played Scorch today on Blackwater Canal. Hoky fuuuuuuuuuuuck Scorch fucks everything to death on that map. Just light up a choke and enjoy your two or three flame cores.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

hiddenriverninja posted:

I would give anything to play a different faction once in a while

I'll have to track down the original comment, but a dev mentioned on reddit they had originally planned on doing multiple factions, but the whole voice actor strike made that impossible.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The Jumpoff posted:

Yeah Droz and Davis are cool but MY GOD they need at least triple the voicelines for them. Also, i played Scorch today on Blackwater Canal. Hoky fuuuuuuuuuuuck Scorch fucks everything to death on that map. Just light up a choke and enjoy your two or three flame cores.

"man how do we make these guys sound official and legit"

"get those British voice actors!"

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Why do people hate killing mortar crews and titans?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Why do people hate killing mortar crews and titans?

But they're so far away...... I'll just sit here and someone else can go fetch. These grunts that are closer to the harvester are more important for me to kill.

That's what I imagine their thought to be.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Ineffiable posted:

But they're so far away...... I'll just sit here and someone else can go fetch. These grunts that are closer to the harvester are more important for me to kill.

That's what I imagine their thought to be.

Lost my first FD match earlier today because the three other titans would rather Cluster around the harvester while I'm out running around like a single mother pressing all the buttons on my keyboard in the Monarch desperately trying to not get killed by nuke titans and mobs whilst shooting and punching mortar titans.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I just finished the fantastic press Q to time travel levels. This game's campaign is really great so far

Am I ready for frontier defense or are there other mechanics/important skills to learn that don't come up until later?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Digirat posted:

I just finished the fantastic press Q to time travel levels. This game's campaign is really great so far

Am I ready for frontier defense or are there other mechanics/important skills to learn that don't come up until later?

You can jump into Frontier Defense at any point, but you should finish the campaign simply due to it being pretty drat fun. Also, the campaign does introduce some characters from Frontier Defense technically.

Everyone should play the campaign. :colbert:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's only like 6 hours long and it's good. Might as well just wrap it up before delving into MP.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Alehkhs posted:

Everyone should play the campaign. :colbert:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Quick question, do primary weapons level up at all during Frontier Defense or only during regular MP games?

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

Quick question, do primary weapons level up at all during Frontier Defense or only during regular MP games?

They level up like normal progression, AND it transfers over to normal MP.

Ask me about my Gen 3.x Legion and Thunderbolt Launcher.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The campaign is fantastic and teach you the basics about movement, weapons and titan kits.

At this point, there should be only two big franchises, and both published by EA, Battlefield and Titanfall since Call of Duty went to absolute poo poo but I guess that the screaming 13 year old are legion and it'll keep selling millions of copies.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

The Jumpoff posted:

They level up like normal progression, AND it transfers over to normal MP.

Ask me about my Gen 3.x Legion and Thunderbolt Launcher.

Does it work on a different scale though? Cause I swear, I've been using my volt constantly during Wave 1 and I've seen it level once.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

Does it work on a different scale though? Cause I swear, I've been using my volt constantly during Wave 1 and I've seen it level once.

Maybe? AI kills don't level weapons up as fast as Pilot kills would. I know that, if you're good, Anti-Titan weapons will level up stupidly quick on later waves. I've mostly been using FD to get an attachment or two for every weapon so when I switch back to MP I can at least not be using iron sights.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Guillermus posted:

The campaign is fantastic and teach you the basics about movement, weapons and titan kits.

At this point, there should be only two big franchises, and both published by EA, Battlefield and Titanfall since Call of Duty went to absolute poo poo but I guess that the screaming 13 year old are legion and it'll keep selling millions of copies.

Nah CoD's a shadow of its former success, everything's mobas and poo poo now.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Black Ops 3 was a great multiplayer game and I put almost as much time into it as TF1. But then again it feels like it owed a lot of its design to TF1.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

There aren't really enough Grunts and Spectres to rank up primary guns. That or they should inflate the xp massively.

The thunderbolt ranks up absurdly fast in fd.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah my main complaint about FD is that it goes all titans so quickly. Not that I don't love titan gameplay but I think it should be a better balance between pilot and titan. It's like one wave of grunts for 2 minutes and there aren't even that many, then bo nothing but titans for the next 20 minutes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah my main complaint about FD is that it goes all titans so quickly. Not that I don't love titan gameplay but I think it should be a better balance between pilot and titan. It's like one wave of grunts for 2 minutes and there aren't even that many, then bo nothing but titans for the next 20 minutes.

I tried running grenadier weapons to give me an excuse to go out in later waves as a pilot with my titan on auto, but that didn't feel terribly effective. The grenadier weapons still kinda feel like jokes and enemy titans can casually one shot you. And cold war never stops being disappointing.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 30, 2017

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

chumbler posted:

I tried running grenadier weapons to give me an excuse to go out in later waves as a pilot with my titan on auto, but that didn't feel terribly effective. The grenadier weapons still kinda feel like jokes and enemy titans can casually one shot you. And cold war never stops being disappointing.

It's been mentioned like 3 times on this page but Thunderbolt is beastly in FD. I've had decent success on some maps just parking my Enhanced Auto Titan in a good spot and throwing big blue beautiful balls down a lane all wave.

I think you don't get any Core meter that way, though. Maybe. I need to pay more attention to that next time to confirm/deny.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nothing would make me buy campaign DLC faster than a whole campaign of BT throwing you around the whole time killin' poo poo

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

chumbler posted:

A amped SMR hitting a weak point does a lot of work and you can hit the brain dead single file titans from a decent range with it

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
where's the titanfall 2 goon discord

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

General Morden posted:

where's the titanfall 2 goon discord

https://discord.gg/n6KxWq

Edit: Instead of double posting, what are good loadouts for Tone, Northstar and Ion for F_D? I'm Aegis rank 12 on scorch, 4 on Monarch (running Overcore/Survival and Arc rounds/Energy field/XO-16 accelerator) and lower on the rest and I want to try some more stuff.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 30, 2017

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

veni veni veni posted:

Titanfall 1 FD had a map where the gimmick was that you couldn't call down your titan (and the waves are balanced around that), so hopefully they bring that map gimmick back.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Is it a legit strat to buy batteries between rounds to heal teammates or am I just outing myself as a noob? None of the other options look good since I spend about 90% of my time in my Titan.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Anyone tried the SMR in F_D? I tried that weapon before before patch and wasn't impressed and now it tears everything apart even titans, it deals a poo poo ton of damage and I'm using it like an assault rifle against anything that moves.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

guys come on I just need like $120 for a turret

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

xxEightxx posted:

Is it a legit strat to buy batteries between rounds to heal teammates or am I just outing myself as a noob? None of the other options look good since I spend about 90% of my time in my Titan.
If you ain't buying arc traps you loving up dawg

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Insert name here posted:

If you ain't buying arc traps you loving up dawg

Good looking out brah :cheers:

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

Insert name here posted:

Titanfall 1 FD had a map where the gimmick was that you couldn't call down your titan (and the waves are balanced around that), so hopefully they bring that map gimmick back.

PLEASE THIS. I have no interest in pilots v pilots or live fire, but pilot FD I want.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Guillermus posted:

Anyone tried the SMR in F_D? I tried that weapon before before patch and wasn't impressed and now it tears everything apart even titans, it deals a poo poo ton of damage and I'm using it like an assault rifle against anything that moves.

This is gonna sound like I'm being snarky but I'm not. It has always done this. One of the greatest pleasure of the smr in attrition or f_d is just throwing a clip at a group of grunts or whatever and watching them turn into a fine mist.

It's still sorta poo poo at range on anything smaller than a Titan. Less rocket rifle more rocket smg.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The Stryder titans are so squishy that nuke eject feels like the right choice. Obliterate a good 6 titans crowding around the harvester no problem. Northstar can be fun with the double tethers on maps without long narrow lanes, but on poo poo like Rise piercing shot is king. When doing the Nobody Goes Anywhere strategy you want to shoot the tethers up so they separate a bit and you don't end up with five tethers in a single reaper.

I am still feeling out Tone, but I assume extra tracking rockets is the prime choice. That or extra sonar ping, but I am not sure if that extends the duration. Spit out your clip marking targets, spend 8 seconds firing missiles, be a pro and 2 mark your targets to finish off with the ping.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Guillermus posted:

The smr is cool as poo poo dude go for it. It tears people up in FD. I reckon the Softball would as well. Not so sure on the Cold War but I'd have to give it a go.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
on the other hand, seeing a reaper get hit with like 4 tethers and an arc trap always cracks me up. is there a limit to how many tethers you can have out at a time? i know that people were talking up threat optics earlier in the thread but i've been having a lot of fun as northstar with dual tether traps just running around constantly and throwing out double tethers the second it comes off cooldown, but if im gonna be hitting the cap for # of tethers i might drop it in favour of something else..

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Flipswitch posted:

The smr is cool as poo poo dude go for it. It tears people up in FD. I reckon the Softball would as well. Not so sure on the Cold War but I'd have to give it a go.

the softball is pretty fun, and a lot more forgiving than the cold war. if you miss a single shot from the burst of the cold war then you wont kill any grunts (im pretty sure) and you'll have to wait for it to charge and fire again, whereas the softball you can just keep popping in their general direction

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So close to beating the highest difficulty in FD last night :(

my ion is pretty high level and I don't feel like I'm terrible but dudes are racking up wayyyy more points than me. I suppose I am more in a supportive role since ofc no one wants to run across the map to kill mortar titans and poo poo but drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Guillermus posted:

https://discord.gg/n6KxWq

Edit: Instead of double posting, what are good loadouts for Tone, Northstar and Ion for F_D? I'm Aegis rank 12 on scorch, 4 on Monarch (running Overcore/Survival and Arc rounds/Energy field/XO-16 accelerator) and lower on the rest and I want to try some more stuff.

For Northstar, piercing shot. AI titans love to walk single file.

For Ion, I prefer zero point trip wire. It's great at removing spectres the moment they spawn and seems to build meter very quickly when hitting multiple titans. It saves your energy for your more important abilities.