Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Ceciltron posted:

Funny, I was in the northeast not long ago and there was nary a bike. the big changes were Chinese Uber and phonepaying.

North east is a desolate wasteland suffering from 30 years of economic recession

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Tantaning. She didn't want to add my Wechat :how:

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

And thanks for the effortpost, I don't have anything to say about it in reply.

same, except to tell anyone interested in the subject again to check out the documentary shocking family (쇼킹 패밀리)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4224212/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

not well done but very interesting

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

caberham posted:

North east is a desolate wasteland suffering from 30 years of economic recession

The industrial waste/lead poisoning doesn't help matters

curufinor posted:

just gotta say if any really great incel/hapa orators come about and rise meteorically in politics, you should just check on your baggage and make secret compartments and maybe smuggle some gold out of the country

uh i may have done something similar cuz of the orangeman

Thanks for the effortpost also, frome one chinaman to the other

I'm predicting a retarded canadian reactioanry swing a year or two from now and I don't really know what to do, but I'm glade y'all are apparently weathering it in the UsA

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
looking into the canada threads, i actually suspect housapocalypse in mapleland/fuerdailand actually

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

curufinor posted:

just gotta say if any really great incel/hapa orators come about and rise meteorically in politics, you should just check on your baggage and make secret compartments and maybe smuggle some gold out of the country

uh i may have done something similar cuz of the orangeman

Belfast protestants made you smuggle gold out of (presumably) Ireland?

What are you, a fuckin leprechaun?

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

There are still tons of sayings in Korean about how daughters are worthless parasites.

I'm dealing with this sort've bullshit right now.

Fiancée is having to face her father changing his mind about our wedding (he wants to delay it, again, until Spring), and in the process has called her a parasite, that she is ungrateful, blamed her mother for bringing her up like this, said that if she were his sister he would kill her (her brother stood up for her/us, so I'm guessing it was aimed at him), and that I disrespected him by not shaving off my beard when we met in person.

So we'll likely scrap the Korean wedding entirely and just do it in the UK instead.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Man.

My father in law just gave us a 600k rmb and be like "here ya go spend on whatever "

My mom gave me similar amount.

Both my fiancé and I are *trying* to be cheap about weddings

But not really because I see 3 ceremonies happening

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Christ I need to marry someone whose father in law will give me a completely life changing amount of money.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
All I hope is that my boy doesn't turn into a weirdo.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Yep that's what is going to cause it all, though the fuerdai are just going to parachute into irvine or wherever while all the dumbasses who bought into it are going to flail in 50 directions and gently caress up the landscape

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

caberham posted:

Man.

My father in law just gave us a 600k rmb and be like "here ya go spend on whatever "

My mom gave me similar amount.

Both my fiancé and I are *trying* to be cheap about weddings

But not really because I see 3 ceremonies happening
Get them to buy you another house and then fill it full of all the sad brain poster goons and FYAD people, and we can livestream their posting and fights and watch the garbage pile up, among racist rants.

EDIT:
Give the money back and don't marry a mainlander, dumbo.

Haier fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 30, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The secret to being cheap is not having a ceremony

We met halfway in Hawaii and invited everyone and only 10 from each side went and a hippie blew a conch shell on a beach and we all went out for pancakes.

Guy w Korean fiancee, your father-in-law will always hate you (until/even if grandkids happen) so don't even bother trying to win him over. Take her to the UK and don't look back (but maybe invite mother-in-law over because she probably hates her husband too.)

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

If you married for normal person reasons and not yellow fever you should be okay.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Initially father in law wanted to get me a car( even though I didn't get a house)

But living in the city with no kids we really don't need one. I think 10k rmb is more than enough for 3 years worth of those uber rides.

"But here ya go! Have a nice wedding just invite my relatives."

Negotiating with the hotel was hilarious. Basically the room rate they gave us was more expensive than internet rate and when I tried to be diplomatic they just pretend nothing happened and told me to complain to the head office.

Complained I did and now they pull a 180 as if nothing ever happened.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm sure that's mostly geneti....

I am so so sorry...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

StevoMcQueen posted:

So we'll likely scrap the Korean wedding entirely and just do it in the UK instead.

This is what you should do IMO. Father-in-law isn't likely to come around, and a Korean wedding is primarily a money making opportunity for the family so by not having one, you will deny him a bunch of cash and vastly accelerate his permanent hatred of you. You want to be as detached as possible from the crazy dysfunctional Korean family, so having dad despise you will be helpful. Your fiance will never be able to detach, but if you can stay away from Korea you have a better chance of success.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Atlas Hugged posted:

depends you gonna buy him an account?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Grand Fromage posted:

Christ I need to marry someone

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Ups_rail posted:

depends you gonna buy him an account?

Better here than reddit

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Grand Fromage posted:

This is what you should do IMO. Father-in-law isn't likely to come around, and a Korean wedding is primarily a money making opportunity for the family so by not having one, you will deny him a bunch of cash and vastly accelerate his permanent hatred of you. You want to be as detached as possible from the crazy dysfunctional Korean family, so having dad despise you will be helpful. Your fiance will never be able to detach, but if you can stay away from Korea you have a better chance of success.
Protip for all these retarded Western-Asian marriages Western idiots get into:

MGTOW

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Just lol if you're on speaking terms with your Asian in laws.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Haier posted:

Protip for all these retarded Western-Asian marriages Western idiots get into:

MGTOW

Hey I've known a few that are happy.

Common theme is either the Asian in-laws really like you, or are nonexistent.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
At playground in the mall. Old lady is sitting in it not watching her grandkid be an rear end in a top hat and is instead clipping her toenails.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Just lol if you speak the same language as your Asian in laws.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Trust me, yelling at your in-laws in their language is super satisfying.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Grand Fromage posted:

Common theme is either the Asian in-laws really like you, or are nonexistent.

I tend to get on well with older Asian men and older Western women. In Europe everyone's mum liked me, over here everyone's dad and uncles are really pal-y.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Trust me, yelling at your in-laws in their language is super satisfying.

Is it better than never having to deal with their bullshit at all?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The plausible deniability of foreigneity is better imo, though it might be too late by now

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

McGavin posted:

Is it better than never having to deal with their bullshit at all?

No, no it is not.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

peanut posted:

Guy w Korean fiancee, your father-in-law will always hate you (until/even if grandkids happen) so don't even bother trying to win him over. Take her to the UK and don't look back (but maybe invite mother-in-law over because she probably hates her husband too.)

Oh don't worry, I've read enough iterations of the China Thread to know he'd either love me, or hate me, and clearly he's gonna hate me, so beyond that initial meeting, theres no point trying to win him over and play nice.

Jae (fiancée) tried to compromise and say we'd have a small, family/friends ceremony as planned in October, and would come back in Spring for an extended family and parents friends money making ceremony, but he was having none of it, because of how it might effect his reputation. A whole lifetime of temper tantrums 'til he gets his own way. And yeah, MIL is fine, and has admitted that were there not such a huge stigma attached, would've divorced him already.

Sucks because my parents just said; "Welp, here's £5k for the wedding, if you need more, we can probably chip in a couple extra thou" and left us to it. Jae's parents didn't even mention a contribution, but want to veto it at the drop of a hat.

Grand Fromage posted:

We always planned to get married in Korea for her family's benefit (and because my extended family is just parents and sister), and live in the UK, so there was already gonna be a pretty good detachment. Jae's already said that she just wants to leave Korea as soon as possible now. I've told her that her father is no longer welcome under my roof, but her mother/brother can visit all they want. I'm currently wondering whether there's any face loss for him if I return his gifts...

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
My first girlfriend's dad left the family because of gambling debts and ran off with a hooker and evaded child support yet claimed tax benefits.

At least I knew I was dealing with a dead beat right away.

I actually feel bad for my parents and parents in law chipping in because I saved a lot of money on my own for this event.

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

So I'm working on coach tours atm and I have the most INSANE Fivehead dude on my coach. It actually recedes all the way to his crown, but hangs long around his shoulders still somehow.

Man, they need to get the zinc out of their diet.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

simplefish posted:

I tend to get on well with older Asian men and older Western women. In Europe everyone's mum liked me, over here everyone's dad and uncles are really pal-y.

But you are actually a great human being to begin with.

A lot of stories here make marriage as a ticket out of family misery.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Then again sometimes I feel guilty about how snobbish, shallow, and judgemental I am because

I don't just establish a connection with my partner but also with her (or maybe his one day) family. If things don't work right then I'm out. Even if the sex and personality is super good and she swallows.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know what the culture does to men over here. I've been in East Asia for seven years now and can count my male local friends, across China, Korea, and Japan, on one hand. The women are not nearly as messed up. Gay dudes are usually okay too, it's specifically a straight male problem.

The ones I met in college were okay, but you get a skewed sample in college since the only Chinese students you are ever going to meet are the ones who get out of the bubble and are already unusual.

I love the thinkpiece complaints about Jin Yang being problematic because the actor is from China and has said he's barely even acting, he literally just behaves like he did when he first came to the US at 13. Jin Yang rules.

Ya there were exactly 2 Chinese dudes my age I met that were worth a drat in the years I was there.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i only date orphans

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Why is poo poo/making GBS threads such a large part of Korean culture?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Jeoh posted:

i only date orphans

But you can't get any family inheritance?

I only date only child girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Actually I can settle for people with terminal diseases as long as I don't need to foot the medical bill

• Locked thread