Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Since I first posted I figured out a better way to rearrange my living room to allow for a larger screen so I've been looking at other options and the LG C6 is available at a disgustingly reasonable price.

Other than image retention apparently being pretty bad on this set is there any other reason to look for a different TV? Is there anything I need to be careful about when buying a discontinued model?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

IR and burn in seems to be the domain of the insane. If it sounds like it's the tv you want, buy it. Don't leave cable news or battlefield running for 20 hours a day and you'll be fine. My wife leaves my 2015 on all the time and nothing bad has ever happened, it's just scaremongering amongst insane people who have the same image running 24 hours a day.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm not that set on it, it just caught my eye seeing a 55" OLED that was curved (dumb but fun) and had 3D (really dumb) at a price that was in my budget.

I'm not buying anything until my credit card arrives in a week or two so I'm just shopping around right now, but I think I'll keep that on my radar.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ok, well I bought my 2015 model when the 2016s were out. It was $3,000 for the 65" model and it's flat and has 3D.

The 3D I'm hit and miss about. I think it can look super cool, but some of the 'in your face' effects annoy and I can't use my phone at the same time.

The flat screen nature is good. I might go curved for a 30"+ monitor but had no reason to do it at a big screen TV level.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 29, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Even if a tv can decode an hdr signal it doesn't mean it gets bright enough to take advantage

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You never notice the curve on the C6, it's super subtle.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Veotax posted:

I'm not that set on it, it just caught my eye seeing a 55" OLED that was curved (dumb but fun) and had 3D (really dumb) at a price that was in my budget.

I'm not buying anything until my credit card arrives in a week or two so I'm just shopping around right now, but I think I'll keep that on my radar.

Curved: literally a non-issue on the C6, I have the set and it is impossible to tell that the set is curved unless you are sitting at an extreme angle (75-85 degrees to the front of the set).

3D: absolutely not dumb on this tv. It's as good as or better than the modern theater 3D experience. Doctor Strange, for example. I bought Edge of Tomorrow 3D and was blown away. It is a real loss for future sets and I'm glad I have one that still includes it.

I still think it's probably the best tv on the market right now, outside of the ultra-premium poo poo like the W7.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

ex post facho posted:

Curved: literally a non-issue on the C6, I have the set and it is impossible to tell that the set is curved unless you are sitting at an extreme angle (75-85 degrees to the front of the set).

3D: absolutely not dumb on this tv. It's as good as or better than the modern theater 3D experience. Doctor Strange, for example. I bought Edge of Tomorrow 3D and was blown away. It is a real loss for future sets and I'm glad I have one that still includes it.

I still think it's probably the best tv on the market right now, outside of the ultra-premium poo poo like the W7.

I'm just being reductive about the 3D and curved stuff. It honestly is an extra selling point, but the size and OLED is what attracts me. It's also only £300 more than the 49" Sony x900e that I was eyeing before I realised I could re-arrange my living room for a bigger TV.

How bad is the image retention? I'm going to be playing games on it a bunch, if I play a game for a few hours and then decide to watch something afterwards am I going to have a shadow of a health-bar stuck on the screen for a while?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

ex post facho posted:

It is/was definitely the source or the compression on the HBO Now GOT episodes. I'm watching some very dark/near dark scenes in Marco Polo on Netflix 4k dolbyvision (beautiful show btw) and there's no banding at all.

Oh hm I am indeed watching it on HBO Now, that sucks

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I haven't noticed any IR at all

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Fair enough, the rtings review gives IR a really low score (1.6 out of 10) but you're selling me on it. I'll look around at other reviews and see what other people are saying about it. It's super tempting for the price.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Dogen posted:

The only think you listed that has HDR is Netflix, and it seems like they put everything in both formats now. All UHD discs (which you would need to buy a new player for anyway) seem to be coming with both formats. So really you’ll just be missing out on what is considered a better standard. Also, don’t forget to upgrade your Netflix sub for 4K.

Just replying to say thanks for this. Got the tv and blacks are what you'd expect from IPS-panel, but altogether it's bloody great. Apps work well, streaming poo poo via WLAN works great, and 4k looks amazing.

Dogen posted:

Doesn’t every 4K tv come with it now, or are there budget ones that don’t?

Definitely not. The reason I chose mine was that I got at least hdr 10 with it, but at least here most 4k budget ones advertised as HDR enabled under 1k don't come with any real hdr support, and simply play the 4k content without it instead of giving error message "this content cannot be displayed."

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
When it comes to low prices on stuff like OLEDs, without naming any specific sellers, there are sometimes certain online retailers that way undercut the more established companies like Amazon or Walmart or Best Buy. Are these "safe" in the sense of maintaining the full product warranty, and selling genuine, new products rather than refurbs or open box?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Why can't you name em?m
Ages ago I got a tv from some New York or jersey grey market seller. Tv got fried soon

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Number_6 posted:

When it comes to low prices on stuff like OLEDs, without naming any specific sellers, there are sometimes certain online retailers that way undercut the more established companies like Amazon or Walmart or Best Buy. Are these "safe" in the sense of maintaining the full product warranty, and selling genuine, new products rather than refurbs or open box?

Yes. Call beach camera. They are also buydig. They are authorized and will give you a great price.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cleveland Plasma also have a good reputation for that. There are however tons of companies that should be avoided and will try to scam you. I posted about one last year (Joes AV? Or something like that?) that made you leave an A review on TrustPilot as part of the checkout.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

If you buy a tv from one of these places, how likely will the tv be to last for years and be normal? How would you even tell?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

poisonpill posted:

If you buy a tv from one of these places, how likely will the tv be to last for years and be normal? How would you even tell?

You just won't get the price and/or product you're promised. See Abe's of Maine.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

Why can't you name em?m
Ages ago I got a tv from some New York or jersey grey market seller. Tv got fried soon

lol, was it East Coast TVs?

I tried to buy from there, I had to call and talk to NYC Guido Voice on the phone to confirm my order, who tried to upsell me on a newer model and I'm like nah man just give me the one I ordered

And it didn't come for like 2 months and I called and cancelled it

Apparently that's the gimmick, if you buy one of the deep sale ones and don't get upsold they just don't ever charge you or send you anything

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Variable 5 posted:

You just won't get the price and/or product you're promised. See Abe's of Maine.

I can understand their scam working for gray import East Asian cameras and the like, as the warranty wouldn't be valid here, but trying to convince a buyer that the TV they bought is a European model is loving hilarious. Like, why would that even be in the states? Certainly not for cost reasons.

Although, to be honest you probably could get a Euro TV working here. The only difference is the tuner would be set up for a 50hz DVB-T signal not ATSC. The transformer is probably 110/220v switching these days for cost reasons, and Euro models are generally a lot better at handling multisync signals than US models. But still.

E: this is the link for Joes AV trustpilot page. An average of 7.7/10 sounds pretty good until you realize not a single person leaving a positive review has received anything by that point. Smart and sneaky. https://www.trustpilot.com/amp/review/joesav.com

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 30, 2017

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
No they'll just tell you you have to pay for extra safe shipping that adds $500 to the price or whatever.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh yeah it's an obvious scam, but their reasoning just makes no sense. Just say it's out of stock.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
If you google a certain set you want and JOESTVS.com and CLIFFDEALS.net show up on the sidebar as having the exact TV you want but $500 cheaper than anything on Amazon/BestBuy/Walmart then guess what? It's a loving scam you idiot.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You can sometimes use your credit card price rewind to match their price.

Although that didn't work for me, haha. I ended up paying the whole $2900 for mine from ieletrica but I mean hell I'll keep this TV for a long time and it's loving amazing so whatever

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

So what's the play? They take your order and don't charge your card until they can upsell you somehow?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

poisonpill posted:

So what's the play? They take your order and don't charge your card until they can upsell you somehow?
Yep, if you don't ever call to be upsold they'll just say "ok we're working on it" then never charge it so you can't actually like sue them or anything

Or they'll be like oh sorry it's taken so long if you want to pay $250 you can get our white glove service where it will be shipped in 2 days and installed or some poo poo

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

My buddy is asking for recommendations on a TV. He wants a 65 inch HDR tv, and his budget is $1300. He didn't' mention 4k but obviously that would be better than 1080 if it's an option. Anyone have any ideas? I was looking at the ks8000 mentioned earlier but it's a bit more expensive than 1300, at least on the websites I checked.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If he wants to spend the whole budget, Sony 65x900e.

If he doesn't, Vizio M65-E0.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The 65x900e is 2 grand, the 55" is $1300.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

qirex posted:

The 65x900e is 2 grand, the 55" is $1300.

Whoops, was looking at the 750 by accident.

So yeah, Vizio M.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The new TCL with Roku built in has been getting some good reviews too.

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-65US5800-65-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01BGC39JY

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TCL is an option, but not that one. You want the 2017 P series. However, given the budget, it's probably better to step up to the Vizio.

Though they are very similar in performance under ideal conditions, Vizio seems to turn out a more consistent product. The TCL sets seem to have widely varying manufacturer tolerances which is fine for the price range it plays in, but it can be improved upon.

Also, the 65" P series TCL isn't due out till later this year.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 31, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ahh good to know.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I have the 65" M series e-0. It's very nice. Especially with the beta firmware that fixes a lot of problems with the release firmware. Including having apps available on the TV itself. The picture is great, but I also have no experience with OLED or Plasmas so can't compare to those. It does look absolutely stunning with HDR content.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I never fully understood the point of ARC on HDMI.

I get it in the sense that it's the audio return channel, and you can basically have your set up go...

Bluray Player -> Sound Bar <--> TV

But does anybody ever do this?

My setup has always been All Devices ----(HDMI Cable)-----> TV ----(Optical Audio Cable) ---> Sound Bar

Why would I ever want to use ARC? I guess I don't understand the point of it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Astro7x posted:

• If you're running apps on your TV to show content
  • If you don't have a HDCP 2.2-capable receiver/soundbar so you plug a source straight into the TV [or you run out of ports]

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Astro7x posted:

I never fully understood the point of ARC on HDMI.

I get it in the sense that it's the audio return channel, and you can basically have your set up go...

Bluray Player -> Sound Bar <--> TV

But does anybody ever do this?

My setup has always been All Devices ----(HDMI Cable)-----> TV ----(Optical Audio Cable) ---> Sound Bar

My receiver is only 4k passthrough and doesn't do HDR as far as I know, so instead of upgrading right now I am going to have to plug all of my video inputs directly into the TV. Then I have the ARC plugged into the stereo, so the TV passes the audio through to the receiver via ARC. My only other option for getting sound from those inputs to come through the stereo would be if I used optical, and I already have enough wires back there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I use ARC all the time because I use my TVs internal apps with my receiver. It also does DD 5.1 pass through so I can connect something straight to the TV and get audio out to my receiver. I have a Roku Stick hooked up this way since it needs different input settings than the rest of my devices.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Same with me. TV apps play through the receiver. Speaking of TV audio a while ago I turned my receiver off and listened to the built in speakers and it was so horrible I couldn't believe it. It was barely usable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
ARC seems neat, but for some strange reason, I can only use ARC if CEC is also turned on which leads to really bad annoyances with turning the TV on and off automatically (I use a Harmony remote, so I don't need anything to change inputs for me...). Are there any receivers that don't make you use CEC?