Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Buhbuhj posted:

Could be the stator but it could also be the hot start issue. Not cranking at all might rule that out though.

I've never had any problems with hot starts on this bike, other than an occaisional stumble or slightly longer crank time. It died at a stoplight today, cranked over but failed to start a few times for me while I frantically duckwalked it through an intersection, and again after I stopped... then it failed to crank altogether. The gauge turned on but the starter failed to engage at all.

Like a dumbass I forgot to measure batt voltage once I got it home, and just plugged it straight into the tender. I'll do some googling, I'm sure there's a stator test procedure.

On the bright side I had a wonderful AAA ride with Dmitry, who just moved to California from Russia 5 months ago. Our language barrier was profound despite his rather impressive 5month grasp of the local English, but when I gesticulated frantically about dashcams, crosstraffic, explosions and exclaimed " russian roads, blyat!!" he laughed and laughed :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I changed the thermo switch for my fan on the radiator today and I was fully expecting coolant to spill out but nothing happened. There was definitely an air pressure release though, you could hear the hiss. I saw some people online say coolant will come out but nothing on mine. Should I be concerned?

The gold piece. Vstrom

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'd think that means your radiator is only half full

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I don't know a single thing about radiators. I imagine it's supposed to be full to the top though. Does the coolant reservoir not fill it? Do I pop the cap and pour some coolant in?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I replaced the fan sensor on the 690 and had some coolent come shooting out, but not much in the second it took to put the new one in.

Could the coolant pump be bad if there isn't much in the radiator and the bike is overheating?

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Maybe? As I said I don't know a single thing about radiators except they cool the bike. I know the fan isn't working, maybe coolant isn't reaching the switch to trigger it. As long as I'm moving I'm not over heating but traffic is my worst enemy right now. And long stop lights.

I do have a minor coolant leak coming from the thermostat, I ordered the parts to fix it but I just haven't gotten to it. It hasn't leaked much, figured throwing a little extra in the reservoir would help cover it. There's no coolant puddles just some dried coolant on the engine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If your Thermo switch wasn't working then your engine was overheating and some coolant does get lost that way. The radiator should be filled to the to, I can't remember if that bike has a bleed screw anywhere but typically they have one on the head/barrels or the thermostat housing. You fill coolant straight down the radiator cap with the screw open so the air inside is displaced.

Putting it in the overflow tank will eventually lead to it being sucked into the cooling system but relies on there being enough coolant so that a vacuum can form on the other side of the rad cap, plus not having any leaks. The system relies on being pressurised to raise the boiling point of the coolant/water/unicorn piss so that small leak turns into a pressurised jet when the engine is hot. Don't ride the bike until you fix this.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah I opened the radiator cap and I can't even see any coolant. Roommate is going to bring me some coolant so I can fill it up before I go home. I'll fix that leak tomorrow and also flush the coolant because it's grimy and full of crud under the cap. Hopefully it hasn't sustained any damage...it's been riding fine. I'll finally have a real use for my pressure gun/gauge.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Hate to be a dick but if your coolant is disappearing and whats left is full of sludge you have bigger problems. In a car I would start by testing for combustion gasses which would be a head gasket.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

gently caress man don't say that :(

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Schroeder91 posted:

it's been riding fine

A headgasket leak is (edit: usually) very noticeable, so it probably isn't that, maybe just a bad previous fill. Refill, ride for a few hundred miles, recheck, sleep well. It's probably fine.

Ola fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 30, 2017

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Nah, man. His strom is bricked. Bet he doesn't just have one head gasket leaking. I bet both heads are leaking. I wouldn't start it until he's done a full rebuild.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Drain it. Fill it. Check it after a couple hundo. Move on with life.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

So, the rear wheel IS supposed to come off, right? Both wheels should take what, an hour tops? Not five? Rear axle is just loving STUBBORN. Like it's stuck on that last spacer.

Heading out to grab a pipe to hammer it out the rest of the way, not confident about it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
HELP My DR650 won't start. Turn the key and no lights, no starting, nothing. Battery nuts are still tight, and battery is new. I checked the main fuse, as well as the headlight fuses, and all of them are fine.

Just a minute before I turned it off at the mailbox, and it started back up again just fine. Then I parked it, ran into the house, came back out, and it is dead as a doornail.

I did not notice if the lights were on before I hit the starter button. I also half remember hearing half a millisecond of noise when I hit the starter button before noticing nothing was working. This could be my imagination. What on earth could cause this?!

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
The ignition switch itself would be my first check

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh yay I get to disassemble the ignition switch tomorrow. :(

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Wiggle the connector and tap on the key first. Is it a real pain to probe a wire with a meter and check the voltage? Should be a pretty quick test.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Revvik posted:

So, the rear wheel IS supposed to come off, right? Both wheels should take what, an hour tops? Not five? Rear axle is just loving STUBBORN. Like it's stuck on that last spacer.

Heading out to grab a pipe to hammer it out the rest of the way, not confident about it.

Your rear axle isn't wider on one side than the other, is it?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got a 1986 xr250r for basically free. It has no front forks but everything else has been recently replaced and works. Where can i look up which shocks are compatible to replace with? I know they are 41mm but I dont know any other specs

I can find complete front ends easily on ebay but I just need shocks, no triple tree or axle or anything else

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 30, 2017

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

Your rear axle isn't wider on one side than the other, is it?

It's not supposed to be, but it is. I'm ordering a new axle. I'm wondering how it got malformed.

It's off now, though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Revvik posted:

I'm wondering how it got malformed.

*picture of a KTM*

Yep there's your answer.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Revvik posted:

It's not supposed to be, but it is. I'm ordering a new axle. I'm wondering how it got malformed.

It's off now, though.

Hang in there. It looks like you're 1/3 the way through solving your KTM problem.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Ha. I'm betting I marred the end of the axle pushing it through and it caught at the far end. A comically long ratchet extension helped. New axle ordered. $65 mistake on my part I guess, and I'm forced onto the DRZ for a while.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Revvik posted:

Ham-fisted previous removal of the rear axle would be my guess, people just go mental with hammers and drifts trying to get them out when normally all they need is a little bit of lube and steady pressure.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I'm a fan of rubber hammers/mallets for light tapping on slightly stubborn axles. Unless there is something really wrong you can get them out fine and you can't apply enough force to actually hurt anything.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Last time I was at the shop I saw the mechanic using something like a bicycle crank puller to get the front axle out, no hammers anywhere to be seen. I assume something like that would also work for the rear?

e/ oh apparently that's what a drift is. Never heard it called that before!

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jul 30, 2017

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The best trick in getting axles in and out is getting the bike and wheel supported properly. Ideally you'd have the bike on an adjustable jack of some kind so you can precisely align the wheel to the swingarm and then you can just push the axle through, no drama. I rarely see axles that are really "stuck" with rust or whatever, it's just difficult to get everything aligned perfect. I use a soft mallet but it doesn't take much hitting.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Yeah, the main trick to pulling axles is:

1. Proper support of the wheel so that the axle isn't dragging on anything as you attempt to pull it out. Even a slight deflection can have massive drag.
2. Twisting the axle as you pull it out, if you can

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yeah twisting the axle just twisted the spacer behind it with it so something probably went very wrong but it's over now.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

rdb posted:

Wiggle the connector and tap on the key first. Is it a real pain to probe a wire with a meter and check the voltage? Should be a pretty quick test.

Thanks for the suggestion. It always slips my mind to get in there with a multimeter. I checked continuity on the switch, and it works perfectly. Battery reads at over 13v, and should be fine. I was about to start dismantling wiring harneses, but I'd left the key on and when I turned around all the lights were working again.

Confused, I tried to start it, and heard the most brief and quiets of clicks before everything failed again. At no point did the battery show signs of a weak charge, so it never occured to me the new battery could be defective/dead. I put the shorai from my KTM in the DR and now everything works perfectly again. My cheap battery wouldn't run anything but the LED headlight and dash in the 690, and failed entirely at starting it.

How does a battery fail to work under load, but still outputs strong voltage?!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. It always slips my mind to get in there with a multimeter. I checked continuity on the switch, and it works perfectly. Battery reads at over 13v, and should be fine. I was about to start dismantling wiring harneses, but I'd left the key on and when I turned around all the lights were working again.

Confused, I tried to start it, and heard the most brief and quiets of clicks before everything failed again. At no point did the battery show signs of a weak charge, so it never occured to me the new battery could be defective/dead. I put the shorai from my KTM in the DR and now everything works perfectly again. My cheap battery wouldn't run anything but the LED headlight and dash in the 690, and failed entirely at starting it.

Dodgy cells, it can put out the volts but not the amps.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Voltage is just determined by how many cells it has and what their state of charge is. Current (the thing that actually turns the engine over) is dictated by the physical size of the cells. So it's like your battery has six fully charged cells but they're all super tiny because of low fluid or manufacturing defects or whatever.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thank you both for that explaination. I don't know a ton about these batteries and wasn't sure what was going on. I just ordered a quality Yuasa like I should have in the first place, and will return this one.

Next adventure: overhauling the turn signal system and figuring out why nothing there works. Getting ride of PO nightmares one at a time. This is why we tell people not to buy a fixer upper for their first/only bike.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Any thoughts on Shinko 705s as far as dirt and pavement performance, also longevity? The Heidenau K60 on the rear of my bike is gonna be worn out soon, and the Shinko price is super tempting. I'll still have the K60 on the front for a while, though.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I run the 705 on my Vstrom and I think they're fine. I'm 99.9% pavement and I've had no issues, although I'm not a huge fan of them in the water vs like pilot roads. Locked up the rear in the rain a few times now when coming to a stop light. Also got quite the wiggle through the bike when I went over a solid white curved line on the freeway in the rain. The couple dirt roads I did went fine. I think I got around 6-7k out of my rear maybe? It's been awhile.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I have the 705 on my DR650 and like them a lot, though I have no word on longevity. Done a lot of rain riding and felt ok. You can really rail em in the mountains and never feel close to losing traction, and they do fine in the brief off road I've done. I've already decided to replace them with another 705 when they wear out, if that helps.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Shinko: solid dualsport tires, poo poo street tires.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

its all nice on rice posted:

Shinko: solid dualsport tires, poo poo street tires.

Word. Girly's husky has a set of 805's on and they're pretty incredible on the road and also decent on anything but sand and mud.

Having said that, shinko sports tyres work super well and are very sticky and nice if you never get them wet/cold and don't care about longevity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Any thoughts on Shinko 705s as far as dirt and pavement performance, also longevity? The Heidenau K60 on the rear of my bike is gonna be worn out soon, and the Shinko price is super tempting. I'll still have the K60 on the front for a while, though.

How us the k60 on the front for you? I get good grip and longevity it seems (9000km so far, got about 50% thread life left) but it's very noisy at higher speeds on sealed surfaces and pretty vibey at lower speeds. I have it on my transalp, 21 inch tire.