Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Rd1 sounds solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Jeeze I don't post for a few days and now I'm confused as hell on this board.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Oh gee I wonder what move would have prevented this poo poo?

Ah well.

The prospect of them playing Qxh2+ is worrying me a little, if we moved our Queen and they went Ng4 or some other covering move. Something to keep an eye on.

Rd1 looks like an ok defensive move, otherwise we're vulnerable to d4 being taken. Honestly I think the worst outcome for us from that would be Rxd4, Bxd4, Nxd4 which leaves us forked with our Queen and remaining Bishop. Not pretty.

We're suddenly making defensive plays and being dictated to, though. Ugh.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

sebzilla posted:

We're suddenly making defensive plays and being dictated to, though. Ugh.

Not really. Pawn to d5 after we get our other knight out (or even before that, with our rook in pace), it's going to be painful to deal with for Black. We need setup yet before going all out.

Looking at the board, their (I think) best move is h5, to move their knight into a protected g4 and cover an attack by their Queen into our h pawn and check. Can't see a better defence than simply moving our pawn to h3, but not moving our more important pieces hurt.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 28, 2017

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
In that case, I'm voting Rd1 as well.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Joining in with the Rd1 consensus.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, let's get our Rook primed. RD1.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Rd1 wins the vote!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1

Black has 24 hours to decide on a move.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It looks like they might've tried to set up a bear trap with that Pawn. If we take that with our D4 Pawn, that'll leave our Rook open, and they can just take that with their Rook. What's worse is that it'll put our King in Check (though not mate since we could use our Queen to take their Rook if they do that.) End result is that we trade Rooks and our Queen is put into a bad position.

Anyways short version is, don't capture that E5 Pawn. It'll just give us a huge setback with little benefit.

Haven't decided on a move myself yet, though.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
If we leave the pawn, and if next turn they take our d-pawn, that'd end up with our bishop takes->their knight takes->our rook takes->their rook takes. So that's bad too.

Moving the queen forward to support our d-pawn's no good either: f4 loses to the pawn, and e4 & g4 loses to the knight.

But ooh! Queen to f5, check! I don't think Black's got anything threatening that square, and the check forces them to either block or move the king. Most likely they'd play Nd7, or Rd7 or Qd7. But would that help us? And we still can't take their e-pawn, since their other knight's covering it. Honestly, the only follow-up I can think of is Qxf7, for full crazytown frolics.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ok, thoughts.

Starting with the obvious, Option 1:we take the pawn. They take our rook with theirs, we take their rook with our queen and they take our pawn with their queen 12. dxe5 Rxd1+ 13. Qxd1 Qxe5 (or Kxe5).

White to move. Take e5 with the black Knight instead of the Queen if you want. We're one pawn ahead still, and the board seems more equal than before, Black has broken free and is contesting the center.

We could also Option 2: take their Knight with our Bishop: 12. Bxc6 bxc6 (they have to take with their pawn, if they take with their Queen we play d5 and we get a free turn while they run away). 13. Kc3 exd4 14.Bxd4

Black to move. Their King is crying because this pawns are all hosed up while ours is nice and safe. The Queen is completely neutered if Black wants to keep their remaining pawns. Still one pawn ahead, more control over the center and we have finally got our Knight out.

Bonus What If Option 2.b: they take our Bishop with their Queen instead of their pawn: 12. Bxc6 bxc6 13. d5 Qc7 14. Kc3 Qxc4 15. Bxa7

Black to move. Our pawn is defended, theirs is not. Neither is the one next to the King, which at this point is very vulnerable. Our pieces are linked and theirs aren't. We can either bully their Queen by advancing a pawn or move our left rook to c1 and have it in the same column of the King, which will make them sweat bullets.

Another thing we could do is Option 3: advance our pawn: 12. d5 Kd4 (if 12. ... Kb4 13. a3 Kc2 14. Qf5+ and the Knight is dead) 13.Bxd4 exd4:

Black to move. Not bad, that black pawn is as good as dead but we lose our threat on a7 and our white Bishop is quite blocked. And our pawns on white squares, while annoying, can be easily ignored by Black's Bishop and Queen. And we delay the development of our Knight until we get rid of that pawn, or have to move it to a less favourable d2.

Cloud Potato posted:

But ooh! Queen to f5, check! I don't think Black's got anything threatening that square, and the check forces them to either block or move the king. Most likely they'd play Nd7, or Rd7 or Qd7. But would that help us? And we still can't take their e-pawn, since their other knight's covering it. Honestly, the only follow-up I can think of is Qxf7, for full crazytown frolics.
Yeah, the problem is that we still have that pawn threatening us. We do trade Queens, but still have to deal with the problem.

So far, I think Bxc6 is our best option but I may have missed something.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

Current board

Leaning to d5 right now. I'm not really worried about blocking off our bishop on that square, since pretty much any situation in the near future where we move our bishop to c6 is a situation we do not expect that bishop to come back from alive. Much like d4 it is pretty much impossible for them to take the pawn without coming out badly. more importantly we pretty much cut them off from making any advancing plays with their knights.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
I like the idea of d5, but I'm worried that they'll counter with Nd4 and we either sacrifice our bishop for their knight, or our queen gets put into a very bad position. Which has me wondering if we play Qf5+ this turn, they presumably retreat their knight, and then play d5 the next turn. But that involves hoping that they make the move we want them to; their Qd7 to block the check seems quite nasty.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thinking a bit more, I don't dislike d5, but I'm hungry for plastic pieces blood. Also like the board with Bxc6 better than with d5.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
d5

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
We could kick this can down the road by going Queen to h3. In fact I think I will recommend that: Qh3. Preemptive fiddling but it gives us time to think, since we are pretty sure they will move their king to b8. Unless they move their rook to
d7? Now I don't know what to do.

I don't like d5, we need to do something about that pawn in e5. Otherwise they will move up next turn and make us fiddle around with our queen to avoid losing it to the knight or pawn.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

habituallyred posted:

We could kick this can down the road by going Queen to h3. In fact I think I will recommend that: Qh3. Preemptive fiddling but it gives us time to think, since we are pretty sure they will move their king to b8. Unless they move their rook to

I don't like d5, we need to do something about that pawn in e5. Otherwise they will move up next turn and make us fiddle around with our queen to avoid losing it to the knight or pawn.

Actually, I kinda like the idea of forcing check at this point. It limits them to a very small number of moves, none of which are really helpful. It also I think weakens thier best move if we move d5 next round, which is nd4. If we initiate the capture exchange there we end up with this board.

What do you think, everyone?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

It completely isolates our Queen which is currently threatening d5 (i.e. the square you want to move the pawn to) and forces their King behind the pawns instead of towards the open center. Or risks a Queen trade, which is not to our advantage given that our Queen can move freely and theirs is more limited in movement.

Basically, it's checking for the sake of checking and doesn't help us any. If you really want to be aggressive, Bxc6 is the move, in order to open up their King cage more.

oath2order posted:

It also I think weakens thier best move if we move d5 next round, which is nd4.
EDIT: Explain? It's not as if the King is able to help with whatever happens in the middle of the board. And our Queen is now farther away from the action.

EDIT EDIT: Our black square Bishop is important, damnit! Look at how much open space there is for it! If you want to prevent their Knight to be an rear end in a top hat, take it NOW instead of waiting for it to move to d4! If we're to trade a Bishop for a Knight, it should be our white square one!

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 30, 2017

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ignore the previous post:

oath2order posted:

Actually, I kinda like the idea of forcing check at this point. It limits them to a very small number of moves, none of which are really helpful. It also I think weakens thier best move if we move d5 next round, which is nd4. If we initiate the capture exchange there we end up with this board.

Black bishop to c6, our rook runs away, Knight to e4 and now we have two pieces threatening our pawn in f2, which we cannot move to threaten the knight. It's a very lovely situation. Bring the Queen to, say, b7, and we have a possible checkmate in our hands.

This is why the black square bishop is important. We have A LOT of holes in our defence without it. Please don't throw it away with d5 or Qh3.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 30, 2017

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

habituallyred posted:

A check along c8-h3 can be blocked by either their queen, rook or knight. I thought the knight block was more likely when pondering Qf5+.

oath2order posted:

Black plays Bc5, our rook moves and f2 pawn is pinned.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So is Bxc6 our best option right now, then?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I think so. Our Bishop is helping us less than their Knight can help them, plus we open up their defense even more by isolating their pawns.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Fine then. Maybe, depending on their next move, we put them in check. But for now, Bxc6.

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012
From looking at the board and the moves they can make. My vote is for Nc3, allowing us to protect our queen from their pawn if we have to or can be moved to threaten their queen.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

D5 I guess.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bxc6 is the most swashbuckling move and gets my vote on those grounds.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Voting for Bxc6. Moving the pawn to d5 just seems to doom our queen; I'm still not 100% convinced that taking the knight is just throwing our Bishop away. But it does kill their knight, so let's fulfill the goon hyper-aggressive chess game stereotype.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bxc6 as well. I'm not really comfortable with D5 either.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bxc6 wins the vote!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6

Black has 24 hours to decide on a move.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Okay we need to either kill the pawn in e5 or move our queen somewhere. I guess we could trade knights by moving ours to c3 in preparation for that move.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Far be it for me to back away from a plan once commited. nC3.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Lichess board URL.

Killing the e5 pawn will be tricky, since it's covered by their queen, and taking with our d-pawn costs us a rook. Nc3 practically invites exd4, though Fat Samurai's plan has us immediately re-take with our bishop. Not sure how that plan would cope with their c5 straight after. Edit: Actually, responding to c5 with Nb5 is very interesting...

Another possibility is just play d5 and open the blood gates (d5 cxd5, cxd5 Nxd5, Rxd5 Rxd5, Qxd5). We could force a pointless check with Qf5+ or Qh3+, easily blocked by 3 pieces or just moved out of. c5 is just stupid.

I'll vote in the morning, but leaning towards Nc3 and Operation Fat Samurai at this time.

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 2, 2017

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Nc3 Probably as good as it gets at this point.

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012
Nc3 is getting my vote again, but have a feeling that moving pawn to d5 is better to do with how they've been playing.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, Nc3 looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Also voting Nc3 because we got a plan and they followed suit.

• Locked thread