Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Am I one of the few people who prefers to play in ASCII? I mean I use Taffer to get a square ruleset for symmetry reasons and even when it is a tileset it isn't really one, as it doesn't really have fancy Dancy graphics.

Sorry for weird capitalization. Phone posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's way easier to buy instruments from caravans than to bother about making them yourself. The hippies and dwarves both usually bring several, and you'll be drowning in 'em from the dwarven caravan if you ask for them next year.

e: oh boy are we gonna have an ASCII vs. graphics holy war again are we are we? Graphics 4-ever!!!! :banjo:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I was pretty light on my first caravan so I couldn't get any instruments other than the one. unfortunately I don't get elven or human caravans at this fort which is incredibly lame since every new fort I make I swear is gonna be the one where I get some badass animals from the elves to put in my militia, but I'm already committed to the fort.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

IAmTheRad posted:

Am I one of the few people who prefers to play in ASCII?

ASCII forever!

TWBT multi level rendering is the only graphics update I like. To me tile sets make the screen to cluttered, where ASCII is minimalist and you can focus on the color and letter for rapid IDs

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I gen'd a world with an arctic volcano. No Wood? Challenge mode! Lots of metals? Awesome! No water? Uh...Challenge Mode! I have magma, everything will be fine.

As I go to set up my magma metal melting machine, I accidentatly flooded my fortress with magma, killing or trapping every starting dwarf. :cripes:

Time to reclaim and start again.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

In DDF, as in any orginally ASCII-style game, I find that graphical times are either so big that they seriously hamper your view, or else so small that I can't tell an elf from a llama.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Gnoman posted:

In DDF, as in any orginally ASCII-style game, I find that graphical times are either so big that they seriously hamper your view, or else so small that I can't tell an elf from a llama.

Shouldn't need to tell the difference -- both are destined for slaughter anyways.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
everything goes into serrated discs, large

let armok sort them out

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
A llama can't sell you live elephants to equip your army with.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont thing anything in the raws prevents the elven caravan from being staffed by llama-men

airbud defense wins again

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

IAmTheRad posted:

Am I one of the few people who prefers to play in ASCII? I mean I use Taffer to get a square ruleset for symmetry reasons and even when it is a tileset it isn't really one, as it doesn't really have fancy Dancy graphics.

Sorry for weird capitalization. Phone posting.

This but Vidumec.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
im a dingoman telling really bad stories i dont know poo poo about getting dwarfs to come hang with me on my quest to tell more bad stories

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Further adventures in aquifers: I'm trying to use the raw editing method to remove my aquifers temporarily as I have long term plans for it but I also want to dig out a large area of it. As per the wiki I have replaced all instances of [aquifer] with (aquifer), in the region1/raws/objects folder. When this didn't work I also did it in the dfdirectory/raws/objects folder to be on the safe side. I feel like theres a step I'm missing somewhere to force DF to read the files again, what is it?

EDIT: I have worked out that having PYLNPS aquifers:on is resulting in the world gen raws being reverted each time I launch DF but it doesn't seem to be effecting the save raws, so it's not that causing the issue.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pharnakes posted:

Further adventures in aquifers: I'm trying to use the raw editing method to remove my aquifers temporarily as I have long term plans for it but I also want to dig out a large area of it. As per the wiki I have replaced all instances of [aquifer] with (aquifer), in the region1/raws/objects folder. When this didn't work I also did it in the dfdirectory/raws/objects folder to be on the safe side. I feel like theres a step I'm missing somewhere to force DF to read the files again, what is it?

EDIT: I have worked out that having PYLNPS aquifers:on is resulting in the world gen raws being reverted each time I launch DF but it doesn't seem to be effecting the save raws, so it's not that causing the issue.

You can't use raw editing to remove aquifers from an already-existing fortress, IIRC. I can't remember for sure if you have to re-generate the world or if just taking the tag out of the raws and choosing a new embark is enough.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It's nice seeing a fort slowly come together. I kinda messed up because I didn't realize on embark that I have no goblin or elven civilizations neearby so I don't get any sieges or caravans other than from mountainhome, but it's still been a pretty fulfilling experience. It's giving me some time to hammer out the systems I don't really understand as well, so there's usually something to do.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Beds near workshops huh?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Nobody on the left row seems to be bothered by the noise. If they were, the tavern and legendary food and booze that's on tap would have easily drowned out the annoyance.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You can't use raw editing to remove aquifers from an already-existing fortress, IIRC. I can't remember for sure if you have to re-generate the world or if just taking the tag out of the raws and choosing a new embark is enough.

That would explain why then, the wiki didn't make that clear at all. In the end I used tiletypes to get rid of what should have been all the annoying bits of aquifer. Something went slightly wrong somewhere and I've got a pretty major flood going on but I think I've smoothed off all the damp wall so now it's just getting waiting for the water to drain away. Which I think it is doing. I wish it was easier to tell if water is coming out the walls or if it's just residual. Z 109 does seem to be dry now and I think 108 is drying up.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
So what's the basic process for getting a meat industry going? I've had one baby (not counting the peacocks I have, those guys breed easily) yak and that's it in the entirety of my fort so far (~2 years). I have 3 different breeding pairs of animals yet none of them seem to want to get romantic outside of the one yak. Is there any way to speed up the process because 1 yak in 2 years doesn't seem like much of an industry.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
your other animals might be gay

get more than a single breeding pair

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Hmm, things aren't going quite as planned. And I'm still convinced I've got an aquifer in granite here. There's damp granite seeming to produce water 3 z levels below the sandstone aquifers. Also it seems tiletypes remove aquifers ins't exactly consistent. Usually it works but sometime it seems to not work, really weird.

E: great 23 useless chucklefucks just turned up. Well 22 and a great mechanic.

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 30, 2017

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sounds like you have a 20-dwarf army

nice

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
It'd be more useful if I had 20 dwarves to drain this water using their beards as sponges. If enough dwarves run through water and get water coatings does that eventually drain the water down?

I think I've stopped up all but one leak with a combination of crutch smoothing and outright cheating. I have one miner left trapped in the air bubble who is... highly motivated to teach herself stone detailing. I think I've tracked the last leak down to a ceiling at the top of the dome, but I don't have access to the tiles above it without starting another half a dozen floods. IS there no way to smooth ceilings? If not I'll just cheat it away, I feel like I've done enough of this project the hard way that using dfhack a bit doesn't really feel like cheating.

Then there's just the small issue of trying to work out a better drainage system since the one I've designed obviously isn't adequate :v:

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 30, 2017

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

tweet my meat posted:

So what's the basic process for getting a meat industry going? I've had one baby (not counting the peacocks I have, those guys breed easily) yak and that's it in the entirety of my fort so far (~2 years). I have 3 different breeding pairs of animals yet none of them seem to want to get romantic outside of the one yak. Is there any way to speed up the process because 1 yak in 2 years doesn't seem like much of an industry.

Turkeys. Lock a couple of males and a bunch of females in a room with nest boxes and you'll soon have more meat and leather than you know what to do with.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Well I think I've finaly conquered the aquifer. And as a bonus I can now have farms in my grand hall, ultra fresh plump helmets for everyone.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

CainsDescendant posted:

Turkeys. Lock a couple of males and a bunch of females in a room with nest boxes and you'll soon have more meat and leather than you know what to do with.

You have to like forbid the eggs I think or else your dwarves will put them in food stockpiles that accept eggs.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think that's why he said to lock the door.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Bad Munki posted:

I think that's why he said to lock the door.

Yeah I didn't make that clear, you gotta lock the dwarves out to let the miracle of life happen. You can also forbid a stack of fertilized eggs but you've gotta time it right or else they'll get hauled off. In my experience, it's less hassle to lock the door

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CainsDescendant posted:

Yeah I didn't make that clear, you gotta lock the dwarves out to let the miracle of life happen. You can also forbid a stack of fertilized eggs but you've gotta time it right or else they'll get hauled off. In my experience, it's less hassle to lock the door

I usually do it by a combination of disallowing eggs on the cookables list in the kitchen menu + controlling whether stockpiles accept eggs or not. These things are easy to toggle without either restricting access to areas or having to get in quick before a job generates.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Turkeys are the kings of the poultry world, but poultry is easy. I'm trying to get into the cattle game. Also I prefer peacocks so when my food supply is overflowing I can make little menageries for my nobles which turkeys aren't as suited for.

I went ahead and started a new fortress, this time near like 5 goblin pits and both elven and human civilizations. within a season I had a pack of 3 kobold thieves. This is gonna be a lot more interesting.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What's the current goon/community-favorite for square tiles/graphics? Last time I played, I think it was phoebus or stone-something-or-other, I can't remember. Any recs?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

A White Guy posted:

I gen'd a world with an arctic volcano. No Wood? Challenge mode! Lots of metals? Awesome! No water? Uh...Challenge Mode! I have magma, everything will be fine.

As I go to set up my magma metal melting machine, I accidentatly flooded my fortress with magma, killing or trapping every starting dwarf. :cripes:

Time to reclaim and start again.

when toady had just implemented falling leaves, I played exclusively on terrifying glacier volcanos and terrifying desert volcanos

good times

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you can spare the embark points on 3 sows and a boar you'll get plenty of pig meat, they get pretty big pretty quick. Also on most of my forts I've found that liberal deployment of cave traps in the caverns usually leads to more draltha meat than I know what to do with (catch 'em, train 'em, butcher 'em--you can breed them if you want, they take 5 years to become adults but even a draltha child is bigger than a pig)

Lpzie posted:

Beds near workshops huh?

Workshops producing noise hasn't been a thing since like 0.28. Now the only things that produce noise are digging/woodcutting/engraving/etc.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Bad Munki posted:

What's the current goon/community-favorite for square tiles/graphics? Last time I played, I think it was phoebus or stone-something-or-other, I can't remember. Any recs?

It's SpaceFox, that's the unanimous consensus regardless of what anyone else tells you

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tweet my meat posted:

It's SpaceFox, that's the unanimous consensus regardless of what anyone else tells you

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Alright, this fort is gonna be meat city as soon as these pigs get in the mood. I brought 3 boars and 5 sows in case I get really unlucky and get two gay or noncommittal pigs because apparently pigs are old fashioned and wont breed if they can't commit to marriage. Also brought some chickens. Probably should have brought turkeys, but I like to bring a different bird every time and I haven't done chickens in a while. I'm also going to attempt to capture and tame wild animals in this fort. Hopefully the elves bring around something fun as well.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

tweet my meat posted:

Googled it, it looks pretty Crisp and Good, thanks buddy.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
SpaceFox is good, I also like Phoebus. I've played with Obsidian too. They all have their nice points - if I wasn't such a noob I'd figure out how to work that tileset combiner tool and pick and choose.

I've really been digging GemSet lately though, ya'll should check it out if you have a decent size monitor.

quote:

Drawn natively in a 24x24 resolution for 1080p displays, GemSet is much more crisp than its 16x16 contemporaries. The entire graphics set uses a bright 32-color palette, so everything will be crystal-clear on even the highest-resolution displays. All profession graphics are color-coded according to their ASCII counterparts and black has been kept as the dominant color of the graphics set. If you want graphics but don't want to sacrifice the aesthetics of ASCII, this is the graphics set for you.

I prefer a tileset to ASCII but I have no problem playing ASCII. I have a copy of DF on my laptop and it's ASCII. I do use the alternate square tileset though because it bugs me to no end that the squares aren't square on the default regular.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

obsidian has the prettiest walls & floors and this is all that really matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I fell out of playing and keeping up with this thread a year or two ago. Are there any currently ongoing Goon LPs or excellent LPs off-site? Honestly as much as I love this game, I often feel like reading other people play it is a bit more fun than actually playing it.

Doesn't help that my computer is basically a potato.

Also; ASCII or bust. I feel like if there's going to be graphics I want actual proper graphics and not simply close-enough tiles.