Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Thor-Stryker posted:

Hopefully someone can make a mod that just requires you to eat/drink 2-3 times a day or receive a negative swim modifier until you do.

Way better than some kid that apparently has to desecrate an entire eco-system to stay alive for a couple days.

Something like that would be nice. You would need to murder way, WAY less bladderfish in the early game when you can't find salt laying around if not for the fact you do indeed lose water faster than food meter, combined with fish water and stillsuit water only being +20, vs 30-40ish Food from the average fish. More than that per single item and you've got to run around crafting bleach, or use the combined power grid of California to make one +50 water bottle every 15 minutes in a base that could otherwise flawlessly charges all the batteries you need.

From a watching a clock standpoint, the drain time is still incredibly generous for the genre. But the meters always being off kilter, combined with water being more of a chore to refill by comparison in the first place, always gives the impression it's going down even faster on top of it's actually faster drain. So even when I'm wearing a stillsuit in my Cyclops I'm always rolling my eyes at my water meter by the time I've gotten to the thermal plant or containment facility.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jul 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So I've progressed through the plotline to its current end (got to the giant aquarium, have the enzyme, but given the giant "we haven't programmed in the next bit" signposts am putting the game on hold for now, and am eagerly awaiting the next update.

Fun tidbit is I've deliberately ignored the radio messages, so the early rescue ship event hasn't happened (yet). So if/when I finally get my hands on the cure, I'm gonna shut down the cannon and see if the devs thought of that possibility.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

double nine posted:

So I've progressed through the plotline to its current end (got to the giant aquarium, have the enzyme, but given the giant "we haven't programmed in the next bit" signposts am putting the game on hold for now, and am eagerly awaiting the next update.

Fun tidbit is I've deliberately ignored the radio messages, so the early rescue ship event hasn't happened (yet). So if/when I finally get my hands on the cure, I'm gonna shut down the cannon and see if the devs thought of that possibility.

On the Discord just last week they said it would have 0 effect to shut it down then trigger that

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Slickdrac posted:

On the Discord just last week they said it would have 0 effect to shut it down then trigger that

As in because they havent implemented it yet, or as in they are super lame?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
As in they have absolutely no intention of giving a poo poo if you sequence break, or in considering people play through the game on any path not precisely as they've laid out and adjusting results appropriately.

vvv-Pretty much. Kind of turned me off to playing entirely when they said that. Not much of an "exploration" game when the expectation is for you to follow a set path.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 18, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The lame one then

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They need to add a base module that you can put food into that produces food cubes.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

twistedmentat posted:

They need to add a base module that you can put food into that produces food cubes.
Hell, those already exist (those nutrient bars in your pod at the beginning), just give us a way to make them!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Co-op multiplayer Subnautica is pretty interesting so far.

I hope this stays functional/gets even better by release. Would be nice to play through the full game with a friend.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

hunh? i thought the official stance was that it's not happening

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

I hope this stays functional/gets even better by release. Would be nice to play through the full game with a friend.

What is this? Why is this first time I'm hearing of it?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

SinineSiil posted:

What is this? Why is this first time I'm hearing of it?

It's because his uncle at Nintendo got him a copy.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

https://github.com/Sunrunner37/Nitrox

Nitrox mod.

It's why there's an "I hope this stays functional/gets better" statement in there. It's not officially supported, so any progress made might be lost at any time.

It's "Not Recommended for Casual Play" yet, and it means it, but it's still pretty cool. I could have sworn it was already mentioned in the thread recently and this is where I heard about it...

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 21, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I've got a gamedev question.

Does anybody recall offhand, any other games that have save files that reach 1-2+ gigs in size, and stops to make a full sized gigs large temporary clone of your save file when you load them?

Is this common in the industry and people just don't notice, because you don't generally watch your ProgramData folders and hard disk fluctuations while gaming? Because at a glance, doubling the size of huge save files in order to play them seems to be going in the opposite direction of fixing a known problem of save bloat promised to be optimized.

At least now I know why it takes so long to load saves once you get going, it takes a lot longer to copy/paste 2 gigs large single save folder from one drive to another than just read off it. Though it's pretty painful when this bugs out and leaves gigs of tempdata I need to throw Ccleaner at when closing subnautica didn't clean up after itself.

EDIT: Man, the longer I play this the harder it gets to watch, or even report bugs.

"So I've noticed my UI and even the console text box is obscured by where it thinks I should have prawn suit or scuba masks in the way. Better report-well gently caress"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 23, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I hope they add a bigger aquarium you can build, the centerpiece one that goes up Z levels is far too puny for all the cool eggs this game has. I want something the size of the seamoth/prawn suit bay!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
In the Subnautica universe, do we know if the player discovers the first sign of aliens ever or is it old news?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dongattack posted:

In the Subnautica universe, do we know if the player discovers the first sign of aliens ever or is it old news?

It's old news, as much due to it having the same Alterra corporation involved in Natural Selection. Though I don't recall if these particular precursors are old news or not, the Sea Emperor probably is.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dongattack posted:

Considering your little onboard computer can piece together partial translations of [Alien Technogurgle] I'd figure they know about aliens in general, but probably not specifics of the Subnautica world.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Dongattack posted:

It really hasn't been solidified since there are some 'Easter Egg' logs that imply this universe is the same as Natural Selection and the infection is a different mutation of the Kharra.

Which would be cool lore wise, since it's expected that you figure out the cure and it could be used against the Kharra threat.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So that stopping to copy/paste your entire save file into a temp folder every time you load it, is not only working as intended. But the Devs long term solution to performance issues. With "Eh, SSDs won't burn out. Your computer can handle it" as the later justification for why they would even do such a thing.

Obraxis posted:

This is intended. We temporarily store some data on C drive now in those folders in case a user has a faster drive like a SSD (if there is space) and use it to help with performance.

The game should be removing the files on exit. If it's not, it's a bug.

Obraxis posted:

SSD lack of endurance is something which is very often overstated.

Most SSDs will last longer than your PC. Most modern brands such as Samsung or HyperX will handle up to 2PB (yes PB) before starting to have issues. This obviously differs from drive to drive, but in all likelihood your PC will die before your SSD will.

TechReport did an article on this back in 2014 which gives an interesting read. http://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freaking-petabytes

Saying "Your body can take it. Who cares" as their justification for lazy optimization work is fairly discouraging. Even if my drives take it like a champ, that's still leaving it chugging along every time I load my save as it slowly copy/pastes two gigs worth of save file from my D drive to my tiny SSD.

Just feels bad having a "feature" that sounds like a search result from a tech support forum. 'Help, there is a 2 gig folder in my ProgramData!...What do you mean that's intended?'

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 29, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is that why my game never actually closes? I have never been able to get it to close gracefully and have always had to kill it from the task manager because it locks up as soon as I click quit to desktop. I've given it 5 minutes or so several times and it never closed so I just started doing that.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

Is that why my game never actually closes? I have never been able to get it to close gracefully and have always had to kill it from the task manager because it locks up as soon as I click quit to desktop. I've given it 5 minutes or so several times and it never closed so I just started doing that.

Probably? It's definitely why loading a save takes it's sweet time even for a game with huge save files.

Any one of you brave goons that actually has a reddit account care to post about this where it will get more internet visibility than "Oh, that thing that sounds like a tech support problem is working as intended. Your computer can take it, according to this internet website in 2014. We're doing you a favor!" land?

Like, wowie zowie. This basically amounts to bragging that a single save file taking up to 4 gigs of hard disk space is good programming. This is their big push towards optimization :wtc:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 29, 2017

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
But it seems like a good idea? They're making a page file on a faster drive for the game to call on that wipes whenever you are done with the game. It sounds like a neat trick. Why it doesn't prefer to use RAM instead is probably a better question, yeah?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
You would think they would just 'purge' an area of any non-essential items whenever you leave it. I don't need a bunch of eggs lying around if it would help reduce my save-file by just deleting them if I leave them alone for long enough.

They also need to find a way to data-store mass quantity items as a single value instead of each one being an individual item with its own value. (Example: Store 4 titanium as one 'object' that can be split apart 4 times instead of them each being an individual object all the time in a locker.) Seriously, ore should be stored as stacks and the locker they're stored in can just grey-out a space for each ore in the stack.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Apparently on the experimental version they just released an update over 2gb in size that has a lot of the groundwork for optimisation in place.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jacada posted:

Apparently on the experimental version they just released an update over 2gb in size that has a lot of the groundwork for optimisation in place.

Yeah, the whole Copy/Pasting your saves to ProgramData thing was happening both before and after that patch though. While I was originally hoping the groundwork for optmization meant they were getting ready to get rid of that, apparently it's intended as a permanent thing to stop and create a fresh duplicate of your entire save every time you load it.

So I guess at this point, the best we can hope for is them making save files themselves not exceed 500 megabytes tops. Because even if that still got doubled up every time you loaded it, it would still be less silly than using up to four gigabytes of hard disk space for a single save slot :eyepop: It may be a nice corner cutting shortcut for in game performance optimizations, but it's hardly helping matters for loading saves in the first place.

Because holy poo poo, functionally 4 gig save files. It takes a special kind of playerbase to congratulate devs about that, rather than ask what has gone wrong.

Particularly when this is supposed to also have that Xbone port, come to think of it. I know you can make their disk space pretty big, but that's for installing games in the first place.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 29, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

U.T. Raptor posted:

Hell, those already exist (those nutrient bars in your pod at the beginning), just give us a way to make them!

That's exactly why I thought that. It seems like they've added processors for most of the basic needs. Foods from the trees and melons are okay, but they make you vomit blood if you eat too much. The food cubes seem to more effective.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm coming back to this game after some time and I can't figure out how to build rooms. All I can seem to place are corridors. Help please. :shobon:

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
You need to find and scan a multi-purpose room somwhere in the world, Like the floating island.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Why are the save files two gigs I dont understand. They have removed anything that might remotely require that much save space it makes no sense at all.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The real answer? They envisioned something very different than what it's become especially with regards to terrain and world state. The game save is literally saving the world state as it exists in memory rather than a smaller representation of it that can then be expanded on load.

When they pull out deformability for good, the world will be be static and they won't have to have terrain data in the save at all and it will shrink to a fraction of what it is now. "Early Access Problems" is another succinct way to put it. None of these problems will be in the final game.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 30, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

Why are the save files two gigs I dont understand. They have removed anything that might remotely require that much save space it makes no sense at all.

And now it stops to copy/paste those two gigs, every single time you load your game :pseudo: They are still promising they will fix large save files, but given their justification for the duplication thing was a link to a 2014 website article that "Your hard drive can take it", yeah.

Now they need to put in even more effort for shrinking down save files to not make them cause a detrimental impact, as loading your save is pretty rough almost entirely due to the copy/paste process. Even with my SSD it chugs along, sometimes even goes into Not Responding, before it finishes copying off my bigger secondary drive. It goes pretty smoothly when it's done with that and only reading the save, though.

The safest bet that they will actually try to do a good job with eventually fixing up save files before launch, is that they would have to be :pgi: levels of :psyduck: to want to be known as "That one game with gigabyte sized save files", or to think good PR is screaming at people 'Technically, they only reach 600 megabytes now! Your hard drive can handle it!' post launch. So hopefully the gun to the back of terraforming's head is the magic bullet it's hyped to be.

They still have the console port to finish on top. This relatively tiny game having single save files too large for it's cloud service to allow post launch would not look very good, no matter how many websites they link.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 30, 2017

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Tombot posted:

You need to find and scan a multi-purpose room somwhere in the world, Like the floating island.

Thanks, shortly after I posted I got the call from the guy who sent me to the floating island. Found the bases, scanned the room. I really enjoy what this game has become since I touched it last, none of this stuff was in it. Right now I'm waiting for some badly equipped ship to touch down on another island and hopefully rescue me!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Update: found an alien building that is also a transformer!

Update 2: ... uhm... :gonk:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

botany posted:

Update: found an alien building that is also a transformer!

Update 2: ... uhm... :gonk:

That's basically how that normally goes yep.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Section Z posted:

And now it stops to copy/paste those two gigs, every single time you load your game :pseudo: They are still promising they will fix large save files, but given their justification for the duplication thing was a link to a 2014 website article that "Your hard drive can take it", yeah.

And here I was patting myself on the back for giving Steam its own SSD. WHELP.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bhodi posted:

When they pull out deformability for good, the world will be be static and they won't have to have terrain data in the save at all and it will shrink to a fraction of what it is now. "Early Access Problems" is another succinct way to put it. None of these problems will be in the final game.

The devs seem to have a pretty negative response to criticism and their response to complaints about the save system is particularly stupid. I don't share your confidence that this won't continue to be an issue with the final game, and I highly suspect they're never going to get around to refactoring the code to make the terrain system behave sanely.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah, I want to be optimistic, but when the devs responded to someone reporting a bug by flat-out accusing them of lying, a lot of my respect for and faith in them just evaporated on the spot.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
My latest save is 21mb. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Does that save-copying lunacy still happen if you don't have an SSD?