Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

Also if you spiral slice them it gives you more surface area to season and makes them crispier if you're grilling #doghacks

This owns, how do you do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Is it fair to say Mr Bibs is like the Anti-Me?

Absolutely, so please don't touch him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Agents are GO! posted:

Absolutely, so please don't touch him.

Oh, trust me, no one touches him.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Thing dragging down FC3 and 4: I can barely tell what is killing me half the time and if I do get killed, it's usually to either an explosive barrel or enemies/animals spawning in during a fight behind me.

My usual strategy is to be a douchebag who hides in bushes and shoots at people before running away while dropping mines and repeating on the other side of the combat area but random vehicles and bears turning me to hamburger while I'm aiming my rifle is harder to account for.

Unique to Far Cry 4: gently caress eagles, they can all go die and stop making me drop everything to shoot them because they attack me on sight

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Give me a Diablo-Genre Game only:
  • There's actual level-design and not RNG Bob Ross.
  • I can change my mind about my character's build and respec with the gold in my pocket.
  • I can choose my character's appearance.
  • I can play it offline.
  • There are actual sidequests.
  • My character is an active agent in events and not some rando who hangs out with the real heroes.
  • There is quiet-time.
  • There aren't a million mooks on screen at once.
  • I pay up-front for the game and expansions and then nothing else.
  • Big numbers alone won't help me topple Gods unless I use some strategy.
This game either doesn't exist or is not in the genre any more.

Somebody already mentioned Victor Vran, so I'm going to hesitantly suggest Kingdoms of Amalur: Awakening even though it's not a perfect fit. It's standard third-person and certainly wants to be an Elder Scrolls game in a lot of ways, but it has more ARPG-esque combat and loot. Ultimately it hews close to Victor Vran in that you can swap between a pair of weapons with unique playstyles (albeit purely combo-based), but there's also a proper skill tree with stuff to stick in your hotbar. Map design is static, but also riddled with asset re-use. And I don't know if the plot ever manages to put you in a place of prominence beyond the usual Protagonist Who Will Fix Everything (by doing all these quests and hitting stuff with a sword).

The Adventures of Van Helsing is a more traditional ARPG, and I think it only fails at the same thing Victor Vran fails at, which is that character customization beyond gear is nil, since they're both fully voice acted protagonists carrying the story.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Guy Mann posted:

Also if you spiral slice them it gives you more surface area to season and makes them crispier if you're grilling #doghacks

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nier
The wolves are assholes. A charge attack with no wind-up or visual cue to warn you.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

MisterBibs posted:

I'd encourage you to reread my posts, because I never said anything about these games being hard. I just don't find playing them as fun as the idea of playing them is. There's just too much poo poo I'm not into. Battling bores me, you can't really Collect Them All, and I'm not at all interested in the 152-??? they've added since I last played.

I didn't really feel I had to reexplain for those in the cheap seats that can't read, but here we are.

Hell, for both content and elaboration, the same thing happens with Legend of Zelda games. I loved Ocarina of Time and can play it every couple of years and enjoy the poo poo out of it. Every other game in the franchise that I try? All its myriad Not Ocarina Stuff kills my interest, and I eventually just play Ocarina again.

If only everything could be as easy and innoffensive as bite-sized hotdogs and nothing else for lunch. The particle board of meat, a meat without a grain, the pablum of meat. Any more than that is unnecessary work, tedium and suffering.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
and the fishing tutorial is a fuckin liar. someone thank JordanKai for me for explaining the fishing mechanics in his LP.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

FactsAreUseless posted:

You google it and watch this video (put a skewer down the middle, cut diagonally while rolling the hot dog)

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

John Murdoch posted:

And I don't know if the plot ever manages to put you in a place of prominence beyond the usual Protagonist Who Will Fix Everything (by doing all these quests and hitting stuff with a sword).

In Amalur, you are a literal messiah figure (the tutorial/intro reveals that you are the one successful resurrection from a massive experiment), and the sole person who can stop the big bad, because of this (the setting is a world where "Fate" is an actual near-omnipotent force that controls EVERYTHING, but since you were a mortal who died and forcibly came back, you are now outside of "Fate" and are able to permanently kill Immortals). The side quests are the usual things, and are ignorable (there is an absurd number of side quests, so follow Nier's flowchart), but the main quests are you getting directly involved in what's going on in the big leagues and personally putting a boot to villains.

Also you can customize your appearance and there are multiple races, so tick that off on that list.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

The thing dragging Cities: Skylines down for me is the load times. It takes over 15 minutes from the time I start the game on steam until I'm in a loaded map, and this is with a totally empty, fresh map. It didn't use to be like this, so I don't know what the gently caress. I just want my fun toybox towns back :(

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Schubalts posted:

In Amalur, you are a literal messiah figure (the tutorial/intro reveals that you are the one successful resurrection from a massive experiment), and the sole person who can stop the big bad, because of this (the setting is a world where "Fate" is an actual near-omnipotent force that controls EVERYTHING, but since you were a mortal who died and forcibly came back, you are now outside of "Fate" and are able to permanently kill Immortals). The side quests are the usual things, and are ignorable (there is an absurd number of side quests, so follow Nier's flowchart), but the main quests are you getting directly involved in what's going on in the big leagues and personally putting a boot to villains.

Also you can customize your appearance and there are multiple races, so tick that off on that list.

I really wanted to like Amalur, but the enemies hit like wet tissue paper. I was playing on hard and running round naked and still never felt remotely threatened by their attacks.

Which is a shame, because the actual feel of the combat was pretty sweet.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Piell posted:

You google it and watch this video (put a skewer down the middle, cut diagonally while rolling the hot dog)

Beat me to it, so I'll just add that if you have little kids you want to impress you can also jab uncooked spaghetti noodles through hotdog slices and then boil the whole thing for spaghetti squids.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
gently caress kids, If I had the time I'd do that for me :colbert:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

gently caress kids

I'd rather not

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Schubalts posted:

I guess I never got that far. I mostly remember hanging out with cool Faefolk and doing fun but generic fantasy stuff, then hanging out with less cool colossus people in the DLC before sputtering out.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I really wanted to like Amalur, but the enemies hit like wet tissue paper. I was playing on hard and running round naked and still never felt remotely threatened by their attacks.

Which is a shame, because the actual feel of the combat was pretty sweet.

Yeah, this exactly. I tries getting back into the game a couple of moths ago after finally getting a controller for my pc and while I love the mechanics and it was great I could pick and choose which side quests were interesting enough for me to so, the game simply too easy to hold my interest.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I played that game twice but both times I burned out after crossing the ocean. It plays pretty well but I could never get into the setting/story at all.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I stay away from Amalur the same reason I don't buy books written by Orson Scott Card, because it's an end-product from that prick and soiler-of-socks, Curt Schilling.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Barudak posted:

And again, since you're Banjo Kazooie's cousin it doesn't talk about in polite company, you've stolen Mumbo and his transformation wholesale. Its impressive then, that you decided that making them slow moving and make hideous noises literally every single step was a smart move. Even further making it confusing in the first level the form is unbearably slow but you put hint givers literal minutes of *HONK* *HONK* *HONK* movement away from where you start with the form, much less the area in the level you're supposed to use it. The hint givers, by the way, are useless.

I'd also like to point out that the transformations are kind of hosed up too. The first one turns you into a flower. The lizard becomes the flower, but the bat becomes the flower's inner bits. Why does the bat turn into a flower dick.

scarycave posted:

I used to think LT.Surge was hard when I was a kid

Look at this guy who didn't catch an abra and then wonder why the rest of the game was utter clown town.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

To be fair I mostly enjoy Pokemon for the collecting aspect.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Nuebot posted:

I'd also like to point out that the transformations are kind of hosed up too. The first one turns you into a flower. The lizard becomes the flower, but the bat becomes the flower's inner bits. Why does the bat turn into a flower dick.

Look at this guy who didn't catch an abra and then wonder why the rest of the game was utter clown town.

Abra kept breaking my balls man - I had to give him up.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I know a Bibs post is the signal for everyone to come running out of the woodwork for an easy own but a Pokémon game in the style of Animal Crossing or Stardew Valley does sound kinda neat.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I know a Bibs post is the signal for everyone to come running out of the woodwork for an easy own but a Pokémon game in the style of Animal Crossing or Stardew Valley does sound kinda neat.

I'd like a Pokémon themed stardew valley type game a lot, personally. I never really played any Pokémon games when I was young and now I'm old I find the battling a bit dull so I've never got into it, but a game where you have a little Pokémon ranch and you go about cataloguing Pokémon and helping out townsfolk sounds adorable.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

scarycave posted:

Abra kept breaking my balls man - I had to give him up.

But he's such a sleepy psychic kitty(?) in the one game where psychic types were really good!

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

There's a lot they could do with pokemon universe that doesn't directly involve just making the pokemon fight eachother and it's kind of disappointing that they haven't really tried it. Or hell, even a rune-factory or fantasy life styled game that combines the two aspects.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

RyokoTK posted:

Mario & Luigi has always very thoroughly explained its mechanics, yeah, but there's something about Dream Team that just seems worse, and I can't remember what it was because I gave up on that stupid game and never finished it. It's the only M&L where that's the case, too. The fights get really exhausting after a while.

Dream Team is probably worse because it has two areas of the game to tutorialize, which means two big ol' groups of attacks and moves and poo poo.

If it's any consolation, the latest M&L game (Paper Jam) pretty much says "Hey do you want to see a tutorial for this?" and if you answer no, it says "Okay cool, just a reminder that you can check it out in the tutorial screen whenever, bye!"

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Werong Bustope posted:

I'd like a Pokémon themed stardew valley type game a lot, personally. I never really played any Pokémon games when I was young and now I'm old I find the battling a bit dull so I've never got into it, but a game where you have a little Pokémon ranch and you go about cataloguing Pokémon and helping out townsfolk sounds adorable.

hell, i just want another pokemon snap!

it'd be cool to have a chillax game set in the pokemon universe where you see them doing mundane things like lapras ferrying people across bodies of water or scythers doing gardening.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Nuebot posted:

There's a lot they could do with pokemon universe that doesn't directly involve just making the pokemon fight eachother and it's kind of disappointing that they haven't really tried it. Or hell, even a rune-factory or fantasy life styled game that combines the two aspects.

I wouldn't mind a non-fighting pokemon game as long as its not something like Pokemon Channel. It was painful having to watch my brother constantly reset the gamecube date just so he could "play" the game.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Action Tortoise posted:

hell, i just want another pokemon snap!

TWO. TWO consoles that would be perfect for Snap, and the 3DS already has an AR Pokémon game.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Why is the best Fable the only one without a PC port

I just want to gamble and shoot things with a gun and accessorise. And probably blacksmith or bartend for too long.

e: Path of Exile has taken a lot of the fun out of other ARPGs for me. Here are your potions, don't worry about messing around stocking them up or anything. No need to auto-attack after the very first area, you have refilling mana pots and a whole bunch of abilities to choose from. Shoot frost scythes, shoot lightning balls, shotgun arrows, here's a fire laser.

Grim Dawn is good but it shits out on me a lot.

Gitro has a new favorite as of 11:49 on Jul 31, 2017

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I stay away from Amalur the same reason I don't buy books written by Orson Scott Card, because it's an end-product from that prick and soiler-of-socks, Curt Schilling.

Even with its less than stellar development story, I really wish that game got a sequel. It was the first open world game with combat more interesting than "click button, hope it dies." Dragon's Dogma was a great follow up for that, though.

I was playing Castlevania: Kojima edition, and absolutely love the presentation of it. What killed it for me was reaching a point where I needed to find five keys to fight a boss. To get one of those keys, I needed to get three keys for an NPC, who would then give me one of the boss keys.

Motherfucker, I'm not going to do a fetch quest to get an item for another fetch quest. That's just lazy design and padding in a game that's already starting to drag by that point.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

OutOfPrint posted:

Even with its less than stellar development story, I really wish that game got a sequel. It was the first open world game with combat more interesting than "click button, hope it dies." Dragon's Dogma was a great follow up for that, though.

Jagged Alliance 2 was open world!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I just started playing Fallout and the time limit is really annoying. I wish it was like Arkham City where the "time" only progresses when you hit certain story beats.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the Arkham City "timer" was annoying as gently caress. I mean, open world games always have a "don't you have a world to save why are you collecting mushrooms" problem, but a huge voice in the sky booming that I have six/five/four hours left to complete the game every time I unlocked a new batch of sidequests and collectibles was really distracting

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It becomes hilarious when you get to the point where Batman is ill and you're too busy messing with Riddler's distractions to find a cure.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

It becomes hilarious when you get to the point where Batman is ill and you're too busy messing with Riddler's distractions to find a cure.

The Riddler is most cunning

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Oh god I forgot fable 3 did away with silly conventions like health bars, letting you buy property when you loving encounter some and giving you all the basic weapon options when you start actually fighting things. Nope, I'm out.

Hey do you remember fun abilities like slowing down time or summoning poo poo well instead of them being cool spells we made them potions now. Why? Uh well

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gitro posted:

Oh god I forgot fable 3 did away with silly conventions like health bars, letting you buy property when you loving encounter some and giving you all the basic weapon options when you start actually fighting things. Nope, I'm out.

Hey do you remember fun abilities like slowing down time or summoning poo poo well instead of them being cool spells we made them potions now. Why? Uh well

Fable 3 sucks a whole lot

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the Arkham City "timer" was annoying as gently caress. I mean, open world games always have a "don't you have a world to save why are you collecting mushrooms" problem, but a huge voice in the sky booming that I have six/five/four hours left to complete the game every time I unlocked a new batch of sidequests and collectibles was really distracting

But you could completely ignore that voice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Alhazred posted:

But you could completely ignore that voice though.

oh, okay, it wasn't annoying then. my mistake