Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Couple thousand is more than fine for a game that needs at max 8 players :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm getting Titanfall flashbacks. Fallout Shelter has more people playing at 1 in the morning than F13 has at it's peak hours, yikes.

Yardbomb posted:

Couple thousand is more than fine for a game that needs at max 8 players :shrug:

The time it took to find a game tonight was noticeably longer, and most of the time it just dumped my group into an empty server and we had to wait for it to populate.

I hope F13 isn't completely dead within a year's time. :(

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It needs more content or else it'll be dead.

That's all there is to it.

It doesn't matter how fun something is if it gives you nothing new to do.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm getting Titanfall flashbacks. Fallout Shelter has more people playing at 1 in the morning than F13 has at it's peak hours, yikes.

The time it took to find a game tonight was noticeably longer, and most of the time it just dumped my group into an empty server and we had to wait for it to populate.

Fallout Shelter is free to play and can run on a potato, but the numbers aren't great for F13.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
4th Map

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Aren't the devs who made this working on a lame rear end zombie shooter now?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Make an SS Lazarus map. It'd have multiple levels, so it would introduce a vertical element to the gameplay. Not sure how that would work with the current morph mechanic, though.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Phylodox posted:

Make an SS Lazarus map. It'd have multiple levels, so it would introduce a vertical element to the gameplay. Not sure how that would work with the current morph mechanic, though.

I doubt they introduce any maps that use all new assets. We will (hopefully) get Central Park and enjoy it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Regrettable posted:

Fallout Shelter is free to play and can run on a potato, but the numbers aren't great for F13.

I was going to point out the same thing. It definitely needs more content, but I've had no problems with finding games on Xbox. Quick match still sucks but I've had fairly solid luck with finding groups through the "Looking for Group" thing on Live and from making friends with players who aren't dick heads.

I heard something about single player apparently being first person? I don't remember if I saw that here or someone said it in a game I was in but that sounds......not great? I mean running around the three maps in first person as a counselor could be fun, and I'm sure it would make finding objective items easier, and it would be cool to get a closer look at some of the map assets but playing a full round in first person, even with bots sounds like it would be way more difficult, especially considering how janky the combat controls are to begin with.

If it's supposed to be a first person Jason mode I'm still not entirely sold.

Ideally, I'd love for a single player mode to have a bit of a story, even if it's just some flavor text about the counselor you choose to play.

If I'm being realistic, I imagine single player will basically be the same as the online mode except with bots, which could actually be pretty cool if you can adjust the level of Jason/Counselors before the game starts, so if you're playing as a counselor and you need to work on getting better with a specific character, you set everything to lower difficulty and then go, or vice versa for learning Jason.

I need some more maps though, because at this point it becomes a matter of remembering which houses the phone is most likely to spawn at and then going through process of elimination if you're wrong.

Also they need to fix the traps glitch stuff because it's annoying that people are figuring out how to get around traps they shouldn't be able to, which in turn means some Jason players are hedging their bets and dumping a ton of traps around a specific objective, usually the phone.

And the items phasing through the map. Jesus Christ that needs to be fixed because there's nothing quite like realizing everyone else is either dead or escaped and you literally have no options other than try to run out the clock or die because the god drat keys or fuse decided to return to their planet.

Also I find it hilarious that everyone who didn't get Savini when it was free are still screaming about it being P2W in matches, while everyone who has it pretty much all agree it's not that great.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Phylodox posted:

I suppose you could lay out the Jason map to give clear indication of what level 1-3 or whatever. I guess I'm thinking of the map as something like one of those cross sectional blueprint type deals.

We're probably never getting the boat in any kind of really cool way, although I feel like being able to fling players in the the ocean would be hilarious

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I suppose there's always the abandoned camp/construction site from Freddy vs. Jason. Or the extra abandoned camp from the reboot.

So Icey Seifuku
Dec 26, 2007

Go all in and give us the NES Camp Crystal Lake.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

So Icey Seifuku posted:

Dead counselors become zombies.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I run Jason 3 so I spend a lot of time being stunned. When playing against decent players I slash the poo poo out of counselors because I don't have time for standing around. This leads to wonderful salt when someone gets mad I'm a hack and slasher, in the slasher movie game. No class, apparently. Only solace is all the 8/8 games.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

s.i.r.e. posted:

For a game that has a relatively narrow prospective appeal--people who are affectionate towards an old horror franchise and who are willing to play this brand of asymmetric multiplayer--2,000+ unique players two months after launch on a single platform is actually pretty good, especially considering the associated bugs, the small production size, the relative lack of marketing, the relative lack of content, and the lack of a film tie-in, and especially considering how good a year 2017 has been for video games.

F13 does need more content, but all things being equal, this is still an impressive success story. If nothing else, it's a game based on a film license that doesn't suck, which puts it in a hall of fame all by itself.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

^^^ Yeah and don't forget all the server/account troubles the game had after launch were due to it being hugely more successful than they anticipated.

If I have the chance I prefer to hack people down to limping before grabbing, that way if they have any medsprays or pocket knives it isn't so damned annoying later.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 30, 2017

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
It's hard to find streams that aren't face-cams and/or lousy players.

At least I'm learning what not to do.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I definitely like giving a good whappin' to counselors before picking them up. Two or three hits as part 3 usually makes them super slow, so even if they have a pocket knife they can't get far. :murder:

Nicaden
Feb 17, 2012
I learned how easy it is to piss off teamkillers, just by hiding under the bed where they can't get to you. Here's my story involving said teamkillers.

First round, an AJ and a Buggzy ( host) fixed up the boat and tried to escape. They were close to the exit but crashed into a rock when Part 3 Jason showed and drowned AJ, but Buggzy managed to escape to shore with Jason in hot pursuit. Seeing this as an opportunity, I swam over to the boat and escaped. They all died except for another AJ who escaped in the 4 seater. Buggzy and AJ were upset that I took the boat, claiming that I didn't deserve it since they did all the hard work.

Round 2: I spawn asLaChappa and begin searching the cabin nearby. A minute later, both Buggzy and AJ show up armed with melted weapons. They trap me in a room full of beds, and start gloating about how I can't escape and talk about how I'm dead. I promptly crawl under the bed where they spend the next 5 minutes trying to hit me under there. They were rather upset that I wouldn't come out to die by their hands. I promptly turn on Netflix and play a show over the mic to show I didn't give a drat what they thought.

They leave after Jason shows up, and the AJ gets shot by another counselor while Buggzy get chased by Jason. Police are called, and I promptly escape that way. Buggzy gets killed by Jason again, and rages at me for making him waste a first aid spray. I continue watching Netflix over the mic to piss him off even more. Everybody else escapes easily thanks to Jason being distracted by Buggzy.

Round 3: I spawn as Part 3 Jason and immediately set to hunt down Buggzy and him only since the AJ rage quit during round 2. Chad and Adam show up with a shotgun and baseball at to save him. I inform them that he's a team killer and I'm only after him, and walk right between them after the fleeing Buggzy. Suprisingly, they don't attack me and watch as I chase him over the horizon.

I make a detour to the 4 seater to tell another 4 counselors that I'm only after Buggzy and explain why. I tell them not to let him in the car and I won't kill them. I go back to chasing after Buggzy, and by then, he's realized who I am and is begging me to let him go, and offering info on where the others are.

I promptly grab him and am about to kill him, and he immediately rage quits. Most satisfying rage quit in the game so far.

Nicaden fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 31, 2017

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Oh my gosh. I haven't done any research at all and I just realized something really important. Even if you don't have the map you can tell if it is car/car or car/boat by mashing m.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

...and the pitch! posted:

Oh my gosh. I haven't done any research at all and I just realized something really important. Even if you don't have the map you can tell if it is car/car or car/boat by mashing m.

:allears:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I have a lot of hours but I left he game running a few hundred times after getting distracted.

I'm so bad at Jason. I did another zero kill round but I think I have only done like 20 or less Jason rounds.

edit: I had a round where the first desk I went to had map and then radio in the drawers. I still got killed by Jason but I think that was actually a first for me.

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 31, 2017

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Yeah, I discovered that by accident. It also tells you what has been accomplished, which is kind of nice.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

zero kill round

What does this mean?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

What does this mean?

Can't kill anyone when they've all DCed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I had a really fun 8/8 round as Jason last night because the room was full of kids who sounded like they were all like 10-12 years old and even though I was killing them they were all saying how fun it was to play against a decent Jason. This one kid kept trying again and again to put the battery in the car, but he was Bugzy and so he kept loving up and I'd morph right over there to chase him away. We must have repeated this process 4 or 5 times but the kid was having just as much fun with it as I was. He was loving determined to get that battery in. He did not get the battery in.

Sometimes you get a fun room full of pubbies and that's I think when the game really reaches another level.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

I had a really fun 8/8 round as Jason last night because the room was full of kids who sounded like they were all like 10-12 years old and even though I was killing them they were all saying how fun it was to play against a decent Jason. This one kid kept trying again and again to put the battery in the car, but he was Bugzy and so he kept loving up and I'd morph right over there to chase him away. We must have repeated this process 4 or 5 times but the kid was having just as much fun with it as I was. He was loving determined to get that battery in. He did not get the battery in.

Sometimes you get a fun room full of pubbies and that's I think when the game really reaches another level.

That's what I like about jumping in with pubbies. Sometimes it's awesome and super fun. I've had a pretty good streak recently of good pub games that were hilarious.

Last game I spawn at the phone house in birch ridge as Kenny. I grab a wrench and run like hell because Jason pops up right away.

I get to the bottom house next to the two door. I find the battery and a walkie and map. Everyone is over at the four door at the main lodge.

Jason is also over there so I figured I'd pop the battery in. I'm terrible at these mini games unless I'm Deborah so Jason pops over and I run like hell.

He gives up and goes back to the four door.

I find the gas in the furthest cabin. I'm about to leave when I hear the four door coming and the others calling out to get it. Jason shows up.

What I hear as I'm crouched down in the cabin is a comedy of errors as Jason tries to murder everyone and they try to get back in the car. Somehow they go back and forth across birch ridge for a bit while I'm praying they just GTFO or die so I can either fix the fuse or the car.

They eventually get off into the woods near the cemetery.

I jog for the car and Tommy is there. I toss him the gas and keys and we head out towards the cemetery exit, taking the main road.

The four door is still bumbling around the woods.

We're inches from the exit and Tommy asks if we should go or wait. I tell him I want to see both cars leave together.

Four door says they're hosed just go.

Not on my watch. I hop out, shotgun in hand and go tearing rear end down to save the day.

This did not go as expected because somehow the car is in the creek by the small bridge. Jason kills a Deborah, I shoot him and he's stunned for a second. I go running and he grabs me. Someone saves me and I book it as everyone else at the four door is dead.

I run towards the cemetery because my fear is high and my map is gone. I correct course and head for Tommy, waiting for me.....why are the wheels spinning and why can't I get it?

Game crashes, connection lost.

The ending felt appropriate.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

So Icey Seifuku posted:

I would love this. The NES map actually has just about the right number of cabins (17 normal, 3 in the woods, 3 for the "kids" but you could easily get rid of those with nothing lost, put Jason's spawn point there and at the cave).

You'd have to modify the lake, though, since the NES lake has no exit, if you wanted a boat escape. Give it a small tributary or something.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

What does this mean?

I was about to answer you in earnest but then I realized you're just a pro Jason.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I was about to answer you in earnest but then I realized you're just a pro Jason.

There's only so many times he can use that "guy is increasingly confused" comic.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I need to set my preference to Jason and then work on a Gunny Hartman sound board.

Are you shook up? Are you nervous?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I mean, if you trap the phone and the car battery / gas - I don't see how you don't go 6/8 at minimum.

Do you have trouble catching people, finding them?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I did go 2/7 once because it was my first time ever as Jason 2 and his Shift is almost too slow to catch up to someone 30 yards away. I had no idea how to play him compared to Jason 7 and Jason 3 and ended up whiffing it completely.

A few days ago I went 4/8 because some people got lucky and repaired the car in just over 5 minutes. I managed to stop the car and drag out the driver, but they just let her die to jump back in the driver's seat and take off.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I only rarely play, and when I do I'm typically very drunk, but I still manage to usually get at least 5 campers.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I mean, if you trap the phone and the car battery / gas - I don't see how you don't go 6/8 at minimum.

I have never shifted up to someone and then successfully grabbed them.

I was also playing random Jason which is an uh uneven experience. I am trying to settle on one.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
The one thing that brought my Jason play up to at least average was realizing that combat stance completely nullifies any stun attempt by a counselor. As long as you trigger it right before a hit connects, you won't get stunned, and their weapon still takes damage.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
I feel like I do my best jasoning when I'm in pub groups. When its the goon group I only ever get high numbers because everybody's too busy fuckin each other over and causing shenanigans instead of just escaping.

Also hand should be healed tomorrow night maybe. typing with my right hand and left thumb for the time being.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

I have never shifted up to someone and then successfully grabbed them.
shift-grabs must initiate from the SIDE of the counselor you're attacking, not behind or something. if you try to grab them from directly behind you will whiff 100% of the time. slide up so the counselor is just to your right and THEN use the grab (jason grabs with his right hand).

it's still finicky to some extent but the biggest thing you must realize is that if you try to take them out from behind them you're never going to get it done.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

We already had one Snatch Duster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I change my preference to Jason if I'm playing alone, cause pubbies are so loving disorganized. I only trap the phone and as long as you keep an eye on the boat/car, no one goes anywhere.

• Locked thread